AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-23, 01:19   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 589 (manga)

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Well, after a long break, the series is finally back on track! It would seem that the story of Luffy's past comes to a close this chapter, as well. How does it conclude? Let's find out:

-Chapter title is "The ambition of turbulence". The splash page features the Impel Down jailers Sadi and Domino.

-Ace talks with Luffy about their departed brother, Sabo. He remembers when Sabo said that a noble comes of age at 18 years old, so he had intended to leave when he became 17. Ace then says that both he and Luffy should set sail when they reach 17, so they can live in freedom without any regrets.

-Meanwhile, looking back at the night of the World Nobles' arrival at the Goa kingdom, we focus on a different isle in East Blue. It turns out that Dragon's group had arrived at that island in order to gather some food supplies, while the rebel leader himself was hanging around elsewhere in order to rescue a severely injured individual (guess whooooo? ) Dragon then says that they'll be heading back to their base at Vertigo.....

-We now flash forward 7 years. Ace has finally set sail, and Luffy sees him off. Meanwhile, one of Dadan's bandits relays a message to her from Ace saying how grateful he was for taking care of him, which the bandit leader finds touching (d'aaawwww ). Another 3 years later Luffy is about to leave the island, as well. He talks to Dadan, who's just as unwilling to send him off as she was with Ace. Luffy then expresses his gratitude to her for taking care of him, and says that although he hates mountain bandits, he still likes Dadan's gang. Once again, his guardian is reduced to tears. We then see Luffy setting off from his home village and knocking out the sea king, just like when the series began.....

-We finally flash forward to the present, where Luffy is still grieving for his brother, Ace. He then calls himself too weak to be a Pirate King......

And that.... is that. BTW, it looks like the island that Dragon's group visited was Zoro's home island (and you can even see him in the middle of training!). I figured that Sabo would survive, though the question that remains is exactly how and when will he come into play in future storylines....?

Heh, it's also great to see that Dadan cares for the boys after all. Hopefully, we'll see more of her in the present time now that she's been revealed. Speaking of the present, I suppose it's anyone's guess as to how the story will move along now that the flashback's ended.....

Well, shouldn't be too long before the full chapter's released.....
Old 2010-06-23, 01:22   Link #2
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Well, glad it's wrapping up. Looks like Luffy is going to need a pep talk/training.
Old 2010-06-23, 01:40   Link #3
marvelB

BTW, this is unrelated to the chapter, but..... since Oda's been featuring all of these random secondary characters in the splash pages lately, then why limit it to characters from the more recent arcs? Let's see guys like Gaimon, Boodle, Dr. Kureha and Montblanc Cricket make the cut! Hell, I would freaking love to see a splash page picture with that fodder CP6 dude, Jerry! I can see a lot of possibilities here, especially if Oda wants to take a break from the ministories.....
Old 2010-06-23, 01:40   Link #4
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
This is exactly the pace I liked. The arc ending nicely. So yeah Sabo is alive...probably some top guy for Dragon now.
Old 2010-06-23, 01:41   Link #5
james0246

Well, since Sabo survived…I'm going to predict, once again, that Ace is actually alive. If Oda couldn't even keep one annoying flashback side character dead, why should we believe that Ace is really dead? I do like how Oda completely invalidates Ace's words at the beginning of this chapter by quickly cutting to Dragon who had just saved the person Ace and Luffy were having a great character development over. It's like Oda decided that the characters actually maturing didn't matter as much as Sabo inexplicably surviving...

And what's the death with Zoro's appearance? Twas' kind of pointless...

Oh well, I'll get over my disappointment fast and just hope for something interesting next week. (This arc was too long and too uneven, Oda would have been better served to dedicate only 4.5/5 chapters to the flashback and not the 7-8 that he did...)
Old 2010-06-23, 01:43   Link #6
Freya

Ierno I think Ace is dead. Would be a bit....anti-climatic and disappoint to find him alive....though it wouldn't be too bad for him to be alive either....meh.
Old 2010-06-23, 01:49   Link #7
marvelB

As far as the flashback is concerned, the only reservation I have about it is that we didn't really learn the true purpose of the World Noble's visit. I mean, I doubt it was a coincidence that Dragon would arrive at the Goa kingdom at around the same time the WG's ships were slated to appear. Yes, I know there was the fire and all, but surely there may be more than meets the eye at stake here? Plus, I still find it mighty unusual that the Goa king's face wasn't shown at all during the flashback......
Old 2010-06-23, 01:51   Link #8
james0246

^Yeah, it kind of annoyed me that the story in the flashback (not the characters, but the story) wasn't really expanded on much. Why Goa did what they did, why the King is hidden, why the Noble is visiting, etc were all left unanswered.

---
And Sabo surviving isn't anti-climatic and disappointing (obviously not to all, but also obvious it will be for many)? The whole arc was building up to the moment where Ace and Luffy would discuss Sabo's death (the whole focus on 17 being a key age is an obvious way for Oda to come back to the present and then slip from Luffy being 17 to becoming 18), only all the drama and character development became a little irrelevant since the audience knows (even if Luffy doesn't) that Sabo is alive. (edit: now I will tell you exactly how Sabo's future arc will end - Luffy will save Sabo from Akainu, thus making up for his inability to save Ace...)

But, whatever, I'm going to stop caring about Sabo until he appears in the story proper. Can't wait for a full spoiler to be released so I can see if there are any interesting nuggets of info scattered in the currently missing pages...

Last edited by james0246; 2010-06-23 at 02:03.
Old 2010-06-23, 02:21   Link #9
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^Yeah, it kind of annoyed me that the story in the flashback (not the characters, but the story) wasn't really expanded on much. Why Goa did what they did, why the King is hidden, why the Noble is visiting, etc were all left unanswered.

Well, in some ways it does make sense that those plot points weren't expanded upon since the focus of the flashback was on Luffy and his brothers (actually, you could say that there was arguably more focus on Sabo than the other two). But still, while it's inevitable that Oda will expose the purpose behind the Goa Kingdom's conspiracy at some point, it would've been nice if he elaborated a little on it now rather than saving the full explanation for an eventual mega-arc (which will most likely be the case at this point, sadly)......

Quote:
And what's the death with Zoro's appearance? Twas' kind of pointless...

Maybe next chapter will focus on Zoro's non-filler misadventures with the ghost loli, and his appearance in the flashback is Oda's subtle idea of a "sneak preview"?
Old 2010-06-23, 03:51   Link #10
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
Quote:
I'm going to predict, once again, that Ace is actually alive. If Oda couldn't even keep one annoying flashback side character dead, why should we believe that Ace is really dead?
Vivre card burnt to shrivel. Corpse assumed to be in the care of shank. Maybe Vegapunk can make him a cyborg. I really think the vivre card burning was shown for a reason.
Old 2010-06-23, 05:18   Link #11
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Not to mention "voice of god" aka the narrator said Ace is dead in this very chapter.
Old 2010-06-23, 05:58   Link #12
Jabberwock

Isn't it quite likely that the next arc will focus on the tenryuubito, nobles and Goa kingdom. While the Goa kingdom is obviously nowhere near Luffy I can imagine the obscured king's character being prominent in some way, potentially having moved location now. There just seems no point to leave him unrevealed and end the arc unless he was going to be involved soonish in the present.
Old 2010-06-23, 06:09   Link #13
Darmill

If Ace is dead, then there will be a new user of the flare flare fruit, sth. that needs to get used to for many of us.

Sabo seems to be alive, which means Luffy still has a brother who may be able to make Luffy pull himself together again.

Last edited by Darmill; 2010-06-23 at 11:32.
Old 2010-06-23, 06:57   Link #14
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Next chapter...Nico Robin and Sabo show up at amazon lily.
Old 2010-06-23, 07:53   Link #15
Freya

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPurePureBoy View Post
Next chapter...Nico Robin and Sabo show up at amazon lily.
Robin meets Boa! Yeah!

Still waiting for the inevitable meeting of Sanji and Boa. She's gonna turn into stone in a millisecond.
Old 2010-06-23, 08:13   Link #16
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Sabo is alive? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Well, at least we're finally done with the flashback . . .
Old 2010-06-23, 08:14   Link #17
Rurik
Golden

Well Oda didn’t fail to show he is not a bad writer, and letting Sabo live, as I have been saying for awhile, the Flashback wouldn’t had made sense if Sabo died, the fact that Sabo is alive could serve as to bring Luffy back, as Luffy is starting to have self doubt, and Sabo could be the only one to help out Luffy. Be ready to see some good amount o chapters of Luffy rediscovering his confidence, whereas the strawhats crew appearing anytime soon looks bleak

Also, it seems that Sabo indeed was brought up as a revolutionary.

And James, sorry to say this, but you seem to be disappointed that Oda didn’t do what you wanted him to do. One thing doesn’t have anything to do with Another and Just because Sabo is alive doesn’t affect Ace current dead status (even when it can be put under suspect), is not that he couldn’t kill of a Character of a flashback, is that Oda never intended to kill of Sabo since he came up with this character concept.
Old 2010-06-23, 08:24   Link #18
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Well, in some ways it does make sense that those plot points weren't expanded upon since the focus of the flashback was on Luffy and his brothers (actually, you could say that there was arguably more focus on Sabo than the other two). But still, while it's inevitable that Oda will expose the purpose behind the Goa Kingdom's conspiracy at some point, it would've been nice if he elaborated a little on it now rather than saving the full explanation for an eventual mega-arc (which will most likely be the case at this point, sadly)......
I guess I don't really mind that the specific "Why" questions weren't answered, rather I'm more annoyed that they were not set-up better for whenever there future arc occurs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Maybe next chapter will focus on Zoro's non-filler misadventures with the ghost loli, and his appearance in the flashback is Oda's subtle idea of a "sneak preview"?
It just seems so superfulous. What point is there for Zoro to appear in Luffy/Sabo's flashback? Maybe it is the present the flashback as something of a circular connection to the other flashbacks (though was Zoro's flashback first? I've forgotten already...).

Quote:
And James, sorry to say this, but you seem to be disappointed that Oda didn’t do what you wanted him to do.
No duh . No matter what there would have been a large section of fans that would be upset with the end of this flashback...
Old 2010-06-23, 08:40   Link #19
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

if sabo is still alive, how come he didn't try to save ace?
Old 2010-06-23, 09:08   Link #20
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
if sabo is still alive, how come he didn't try to save ace?
Sabo current Location? is the same as asking why the strawhats didnt appear to support Luffy.

Quote:
No duh . No matter what there would have been a large section of fans that would be upset with the end of this flashback...

Well, You don’t struck me at a person that would get upset about it...

About Zoro, I guess the appearance is just Oda making continuity within his universe. The Nobles visit? I think it was just a small plot devise used for the flashback sake and it had no strong or important bearing whatsoever.