Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-23, 00:49   Link #41
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Why didn't we have a cute small homeroom teacher like Mika sensei, school time would be so much funner. ^^

Mika Sensei -->

Last edited by Secca; 2004-04-23 at 01:05.
Old 2004-04-23, 02:14   Link #42
Diedrupo

I thought this show was really funny! Yeah so it's not as good as Azumanga, but that's kinda unfair. Azumanga is like the greatest anime ever anyway.
Old 2004-04-23, 02:36   Link #43
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Azumanga or not, is not really a big deal.

It's a comedy show. As long as it makes you laugh, it's all good stuffs. ^^

Episode 2

Spoiler:

Last edited by Secca; 2004-04-23 at 06:45.
Old 2004-04-23, 19:17   Link #44
babbito2k
annoying white bat

If it made me laugh that would be something indeed. But the humor level is right down there with Momoiro Sisters (cruel "humor" about breast size, weight, height, sexual orientation), which wasn't a well-liked show either. This show lacks the saving graces of having short episodes and any characters nearly as likable as Momoko.

The production values certainly aren't worth sticking around for either. I don't like the way everything looks or the voice acting or music. It's not bad when a show is cheap but the writing has to be good. There is a certain insistence on grimly playing every scene for a lousy gag that just kills any flow in the scenes.

The basketball gag is a good example of a terrible scene. Fine, Mika has to referee, she doesn't know what she is doing. A lot of time was spent establishing that. But it was never cashed in on, which is lazy and a waste of my time. The punchline they did use - "oh, poor Mika had to go to the nurse" - didn't justify the scene or the setup and wasn't funny.

Anyway, I will not be troubling myself to watch this anymore, as there is clearly no ambition to either be funny or tell a decent story.
Old 2004-04-23, 20:05   Link #45
Hello

Just finished the 2nd episode. It seems to me that the show is going for cheap laughs instead of really developing the individual characters. Kind of dissapointing...
Old 2004-04-23, 22:13   Link #46
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Lol yup alot alot of cruel jokes. ^^

Specially "digging your own ass" joke, that was great. I cannot stop laughing. ^^
Old 2004-04-24, 01:25   Link #47
Gold_Rogers
Famous Dead Pirate

I remember Azumanga instantly hooked me, but Sensei no Ojikan didn't. The gags were still pretty damn good at times, but the boring parts were just...well...boring. The gags felt cheap and it bounced around a lot more than Azumanga did (at least as far as comparing ep 1 goes). I dunno if I'll be sticking with this one (or another spring series, Konomini for that matter).
Old 2004-04-24, 10:26   Link #48
Hao Asakura
Newbie arimasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello
Just finished the 2nd episode. It seems to me that the show is going for cheap laughs instead of really developing the individual characters. Kind of dissapointing...
Agreed. Ep 2 is rather disappointing and boring if compared to ep 1.
Spoiler:
Old 2004-04-24, 14:38   Link #49
chamelean75

I liked it. I liked the jokes and I like the animation. It's very cute.
Old 2004-04-24, 19:47   Link #50
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

This show looks like azumanga. But i think that the show is lacking something, even if it's the first episode, it should have something to keep your attention. When they make a resume of the characters it was super fast. Anyway, i noticed that they are some anime that did not even deserve to be done. I think that the worst ever was Puni Puni Poemi. What drugs are they taking? (those wo have made this anime)
Old 2004-04-25, 03:59   Link #51
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogo_Pogo
This show looks like azumanga. But i think that the show is lacking something, even if it's the first episode, it should have something to keep your attention. When they make a resume of the characters it was super fast. Anyway, i noticed that they are some anime that did not even deserve to be done. I think that the worst ever was Puni Puni Poemi. What drugs are they taking? (those wo have made this anime)
-offtopic:

...Puni Puni Poemi was hilarious.

Puni Puni Poemi was a parody though, not a straight up comedy like this, so it helps to have seen the anime it makes fun of.

-/offtopic

I thought the second episode of Sensei no Ojikan wasn't as funny as the first. I've heard the 3rd episode is pretty good again though.
Old 2004-04-25, 12:23   Link #52
Diedrupo

Regardless of the criticism, I really like this show. Like I said, it's no Azumanga, but for a show that focuses on high school life, I think it is pretty decent and people who are into that stuff will enjoy it. I also loved Momoiro Sisters, and I'd say the gags are pretty similar.
Old 2004-04-29, 14:12   Link #53
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

the second episode was not that bad but...
what is Momoiro sisters? the story and all?
Why does Mika-sensei leaves at her parents house?

My problem with Puni Puni poemi was espacially with the second episode. it's true that the first part got some very funny moments. she "kills" a dog! when she cooks and the fact that she talked so fast that the pause button is necesarry at each 5 second. but i think that i'm
Old 2004-04-29, 14:27   Link #54
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
...what is Momoiro sisters?
Momoiro Sisters is a short-episode comedy series from fall 1998. A fair amount of the humor was two sisters teasing each other about breast size, weight and dieting, the older one teasing the younger one about not having lost her virginity, the younger one calling the older one an "old maid" and so on. It was hit-or-miss with the fans.
Old 2004-04-29, 14:35   Link #55
Fronzel
Schmuck

Was this made by the Bottle Fairy people? Those weird effects in the cornor remind me strongly of it.
Old 2004-04-29, 17:13   Link #56
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
the second episode was not that bad but...
what is Momoiro sisters? the story and all?
Why does Mika-sensei leaves at her parents house?

My problem with Puni Puni poemi was espacially with the second episode. it's true that the first part got some very funny moments. she "kills" a dog! when she cooks and the fact that she talked so fast that the pause button is necesarry at each 5 second. but i think that i'm
It's not uncommon to have people still living with their parents here in Japan. The land prices are just too high for young workers to live by on rent. An average 1 room apartment in the middle of Tokyo can cost anywhere from 80,000 to over 120,000 yen a month. Add that with other monthly utility costs, you see your salary all gone before you can spend it. Besides, being a teacher is not the best paying job in Japan. The average monthly salary for a teacher around Mika-sensei's age would likely be around 200,000-250,000 yen a month. Rather than paying over half of your salary just disappear in rent, most opt for living at their parent's place by putting their earnings into the family household.

Yukari-sensei from "Azumanga Daioh" lives with her parents, right? On the other hand, Kurosawa-sensei lives on her own since she is a "bourgeoise" (as described by Yukari-sensei).

Last edited by kj1980; 2004-04-29 at 19:34.
Old 2004-04-29, 19:30   Link #57
Fronzel
Schmuck

So it isn't lame and pathetic?

Well, that's not very funny.
Old 2004-04-29, 21:09   Link #58
LordBrian
Triad's Friendly Editor

It is lame and pathetic. Mika-sensei's parents aren't exactly thrilled that she's still living at home, especially her mother (though she seems more concerned that Mika is still unmarried rather than living at home, but the two sorta go hand in hand). She makes it quite clear that a 27 year old should not be relying on her parents for everything. Whether this is an uncommon situation in Japan is meaningless; it's not a desirable situation, and that is the point of the "joke."

Yukari-semsei, in the same sense, is an incredibly lame and pathetic character, and is meant to be seen as such. She is always mooching off her students, evading her gambling debts with Nyamo, and flat out lying so she doesn't have to pay when they go out. Again, the high cost of living no doubt plays a part in Yukari's character, but she is hardly meant to be a role model just because she's realistic. Living at home with her parents in Yukari's case is just another sign of her laziness -- rather than work hard for the more "bourgeois" things that Nyamo has, she'd rather sleep all day and drink all night.

I fail to see how you can use the high cost of living to defend the traits of these characters that are obviously meant to be seen as flaws.
Old 2004-04-30, 04:10   Link #59
Itlandm
Porcupine

I've enjoyed the series so far. It is cheap and unpretentious. It is definitely not like Azumanga: All the characters (possibly except the teacher herself) are stereotypes, while the characters in Azumanga were reversed stereotypes: They big strong girl was shy and loved cute things, the hyper energetic girl finished last, the girl from Osaka was slow and dreamy and so on.

I am not sure of the target group here. It has a feel of children's anime, perhaps because of the drawing style, perhaps because of the teacher who looks and acts underage (hopefully this is not a stereotype Japanese teacher...) but the humor is hardly suited for children. Immature adults, probably... as I said, I liked it. ^_^*

It does remind me of Momoiro Sisters, though it is less ecchi. When watching the first 12 episodes of Momoiro, I halfway suspected that the creator had jotted down insane thing seen at work and at home and then exaggerated them. (But then around midway through Momoio, those ideas kinda ran out and we got just various surroundings to repeat the same ecchi behavior over and over.) Sensei seems like such a series too: Exaggerating things that almost could have happened. The play between the gay boy and the innocent sports boy was just such a thing that almost could happen, and I found that hilarious.
Old 2004-04-30, 10:58   Link #60
Gold_Rogers
Famous Dead Pirate

I had a hard time getting over the fact that the blonde haired sporty kid had the same voice actor as Captain Usopp from One Piece (or at least I think he did). I just keep associating that voice with cowardice and general funkiness, so it really doesn't help me to see his character at all.
Closed Thread