Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2009-03-16, 00:46   Link #21
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayote View Post
used to watch SMTV and Live and Kicking. i was 11/13 at the time.

i loved SMTv when ant and dec were there with cat deeley. that was fun to watch. oh! Wonky Donky......that was so much fun...lol
This was a brilliant time for Saturday Morning TV, I loved SMTV back then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawgers View Post
I remember waking up on saturdays at 6/7ish just to watch shows such as Rugrats, Ren And Stimpy, Rocko, etc. Later on, I started to watch shows like Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, and some of the other junk they played on that channel.

Now....
Saturday mornings, wake up late and watch Spongebob! (If it is on TV at the moment)
I actually hated Ren and Stimpy, thought it was alod of nonsense even for a cartoon >__<

The "Saturday Morning Cartoons" thing is weird in that I know you all would have trouble getting up at 8am during the week but come the weekend, you would be up at the crack of dawn roaring to watch tv for like 4 hours

I was talking about Saturday Morning Cartoons with a friend just awhile ago, was trying to remember the name of some cartoons I had watched. Took me some time to find out what they were, stuff like The Bots Master, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Dinoriders, Jayce and Wheeled Warriors, and The Centurions.
Then there was the stuff you could remember easliy like Transformers, Thundercats, M.A.S.K, King Arthur and the Knights of Justice, Captain Planet, and Biker Mice from Mars to name a few.
ahhh good memories they are

Nowadays only time ever really watch cartoons is when I go to my Grans. My nephew is usually there too and he hogs the tv, so gotta watch wahtever he wants to watch.
I only just recently seen stuff like Ben10, One about Footballers with hax powers, Yu-Gi-Oh! GX!(oh btw this is got one of the funniest ads I seen for a kids show yet, its awesome!), Huntik(<--this one I actually quite like)
Old 2009-03-16, 00:50   Link #22
Nosauz

OMG, bikerr mice from mars.... probably the inspiration for sonic doinking a 2d girl lol.

My fondest memory is definitely POwer Rangers season 1-3, white/green ranger had the best zords compared to the others.

Also in more recent times I watched Jackie Chan Adventures... pretty simplistic plot but man the talismans and tooru were pretty awesome plus its Jackie chan.

more nostalgia, Tintin, dubbed Samurai Pizza Cats.. loved this show, looney tunes i remember my dad specifically taped these for me, tale spin, this creepy crawlers show, oh YEA DARKSTALKERS.... oohhh man.... FELICIA was sooo hawt not to mention Moragan... and this was when i was 12 wow now I think about my childhood kids were exposed to lots of sexually charged programming back then.

best* american cartoon has to be Duckman probably the progenitor of the dark satirical nature of shows like south park, futurama, family guy.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 01:05   Link #23
danin8r44
The King of the Insane

I remember Duckman was AWESOME. I used to fill my Saturdays with Dexter, Pokemon, Animaniacs, Chip and Dale, Bugs Bunny, and Pinky and the Brain. If you want to go further back The Magic Shoolbus and Arthur were my favorites.

Also, this isn't a cartoon but does anyone remember that one show with a scientist who would do weird simple experiments (always dressed in a white labcoat)? The show was aimed at kids. I forget its name but he was my hero when I was smaller.
Spoiler:
danin8r44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 01:08   Link #24
Nosauz

OMG BILL NYE THE SCIENCE GUY, this man taught me how fun science was, still doesn't change the fact that I got b's in physics but still he is awesome
Old 2009-03-16, 07:19   Link #25
GreenLama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguthrie View Post
I used to love the cartoon about the WWF wrestlers. but I can't remember tthe name.

Hulk Hogans Rock n' Wrestling. Unfortunatly there are no plans to release this series on DVD because of the very outdated roster.
GreenLama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 07:26   Link #26
GreenLama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Actually saturday morning died at the end of the 90s, when cable toons out rated broadcast toons.

Wiether new cartoons are better now or not is subjective. I give a rousing NO to that, cause budgets are lower, less innovative ideas are being bought and developed plus, as a 21 year old it gets harder and harder to aquaint myself with the consistently low standards of american television animation these days.

In fact the only reason kids anime seemed (and still does kinda) so cool is cause it had ass loads of violence (more than we were used to) plus actual story
While I do agree that satAM cartoons were better in the 80's and early 90's, there is still good stuff to be had these days. Ever watch Huntik or Chaotic Marillion Invasion on CW4Kids? Huntik is amazing in both story and animation, and Chaotic MI is a fun show, or how about Ben 10: Alien Force or Batman The Brave and the Bold? Even though Ben 10 and Batman are re-runs from the Friday night lineup they are still very good.

While the days of good TMNT, He-Man, Thundercats, GI Joe, Transformers, Spider-Man, The Tick, X-Men and other classics are over, there are plenty of good toons to still be had, I guess you just got to have an open mind to them.
Old 2009-03-16, 07:58   Link #27
Nosauz

I think the only show I could classify as "good" in the recent generation is probably Teen Titans, talk about quite an awesome show targetted at kids. I would say the new spiderman series is quite pimpin too, except the art style is not quite to my liking. Oh yea another little favorite... Viva pinata, wow talk about the merchandising arm of microsoft. Really i felt like they did the game a disservice by not having this show on more networks probably one of the best episodic comedy schtiks on early morning tv in long while.
Old 2009-03-16, 09:16   Link #28
xia

I remember watching Gummie Bears and Winnie the Pooh.. those are probably my most vidid memories.

Also know I loved to watch Loony Tunes. My father said I was pretty diehard.. never missing a single episode
Also remember watching Dinosaucers, Garfield, Tiny Toons, and Pinky and the Brain.

Although not a cartoon, but I remember watching Saved by the bell most saturdays as well.

Thanks vandakiara for the sig!
Currently watching
On deck for 08/09: Claymore, Monster, Paradise Kiss,
xia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-16, 10:07   Link #29
GreenLama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xia View Post
I remember watching Gummie Bears and Winnie the Pooh.. those are probably my most vidid memories.

Also know I loved to watch Loony Tunes. My father said I was pretty diehard.. never missing a single episode
Also remember watching Dinosaucers, Garfield, Tiny Toons, and Pinky and the Brain.

Although not a cartoon, but I remember watching Saved by the bell most saturdays as well.
LoL, I was all about SBTB and had the biggest crush on Kelly back then, man that show did NOT hold up over time.....

I remember loving everything from the action of He-Man, Turtles, Thundercats and all of those great shows to the light hearted stuff like Garfield and Friends and Muppet Babies, all of which were gems in my eyes....
Old 2009-03-17, 23:46   Link #30
xia

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLama View Post
LoL, I was all about SBTB and had the biggest crush on Kelly back then, man that show did NOT hold up over time.....
Haha, I know. They play it on a station here at 7 in the morning, and sometimes I catch it after work. Very 80s

Quote:
I remember loving everything from the action of He-Man, Turtles, Thundercats and all of those great shows to the light hearted stuff like Garfield and Friends and Muppet Babies, all of which were gems in my eyes....
Oh man! How could I have forgotten Muppet Babies? I still can sing the whole intro to this day.

Thanks vandakiara for the sig!
Currently watching
On deck for 08/09: Claymore, Monster, Paradise Kiss,
xia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-18, 06:07   Link #31
Ending

I only remember that Turtles, Spiderman, and Darkwater Pirates were all hot back then. A bit later came the martian mouses and the Mask, but I never really liked of either of those.

Kinda tried watching them again a few months ago and the characters were just... bleargh. The original TMNT comics were nice, though. I didn't know they used to have blood in them and that Shredded actually died early on (before the series was turned into a commercial milking machine).
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-18, 06:59   Link #32
Bri

Satellite broadcasters were put on the cable here in the mid 80s with channels like Sky channel, Super channel and RTL television. Saturdays mornings were never the same again during the 80s (not to mention my English and German language skills got boosted).

From what I remember it started off at 6.00 am with Sailormoon or GI-Joe. Some other series:

Thundersub
Sabre rider
Robotech
Jayce and the Wheeled warriors
Dungeons and Dragons
Laser Academy
Voltron
Mask
Transformers
Care Bears
Galaxy Rangers
BraveStarr
COPS
DinoRiders
Bionic Six
TMNT
Captain N
Heath Clif
Jem
Duck Tales
My little pony
Star Com
Galaxy High
Once upon a time...Space
Once upon a time...Life
Macron one
Defenders of the Earth

and I'm probably forgetting many more. Shame that the whole saturday morning cartoon thing is pretty much gone. I'd need to buy the kids packages now from the digital cable companies if I wanted more cartoons.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-18, 07:14   Link #33
GreenLama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
I think the only show I could classify as "good" in the recent generation is probably Teen Titans, talk about quite an awesome show targetted at kids. I would say the new spiderman series is quite pimpin too, except the art style is not quite to my liking. Oh yea another little favorite... Viva pinata, wow talk about the merchandising arm of microsoft. Really i felt like they did the game a disservice by not having this show on more networks probably one of the best episodic comedy schtiks on early morning tv in long while.
It's funny because Teen Titans was not one of my favorites, I would watch it every once in a while, but all in all I never really enjoyed it or got that "feeling" when it was coming on.
Old 2009-03-18, 07:18   Link #34
GreenLama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xia View Post
Haha, I know. They play it on a station here at 7 in the morning, and sometimes I catch it after work. Very 80s

Oh man! How could I have forgotten Muppet Babies? I still can sing the whole intro to this day.

I forget some of it, but I remember there were two different intro's that had lyrics something like....

"When your room seems kind of weird and you wish that you weren't there, Just close your eyes and make believe and you can be anywhere.....", and then I forgot the rest.....

But there was a longer intro that right after that verse I just typed, the different characters would chime in with something like, "I like adventure, I like romance, I tell great jokes, ANIMAL DANCE, I play my computer, I swing through the air...." and there was some more words I don't remember......maybe I'll youtube it.

Anyhow, Muppet Babies will probably never see the light of day on DVD due to all of the sound and video samples that were used.
Old 2009-03-18, 07:27   Link #35
BanishingBook

º o º Mannn this is going to be a long one.

Hnm.. I don't think mention everything that I watched all those mornings is ever going to be fun.
So anyway here's the first:

Garfield and Friends.

I also recall watching this every afternoon or sometimes in the non-weekend mornings.
BanishingBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-18, 21:04   Link #36
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

I could post for days in this thread^^...

Anyways, cookie for anyone who remembers this:

♫♪♫After these messages♫♫♪...We'll be Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight Back♫♫♪...
Old 2009-03-18, 21:09   Link #37
Nosauz

Quote:
It's funny because Teen Titans was not one of my favorites, I would watch it every once in a while, but all in all I never really enjoyed it or got that "feeling" when it was coming on.
I never watched it religiously but for that timeslot I'm pretty sure if I was up I would watch it unless it was a rerun. Compared to a lot of the other stuff that was on, it had the most anime feel to it, and there was a plot instead of the typical episodic content say in the some of the other stuff on at teh time. Personally robin was one of my least favorite characters in the series because hes just a scrubby younger version of batman with out all the darkness that surrounds batman.
Old 2009-03-19, 00:51   Link #38
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
I could post for days in this thread^^...

Anyways, cookie for anyone who remembers this:

♫♪♫After these messages♫♫♪...We'll be Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight Back♫♫♪...
ABC Saturday Mornings?

This site may bring back some memories: www.retrojunk.com
Old 2009-03-19, 11:41   Link #39
Jill Valentine

oh i totaly forgot i used to watch these cartoons too
SpongeBob SquarePants
Rugrats
Chip 'N' Dale Rescue Rangers
Futurama

Jill Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 13:55   Link #40
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danin8r44 View Post
I remember Duckman was AWESOME. I used to fill my Saturdays with Dexter, Pokemon, Animaniacs, Chip and Dale, Bugs Bunny, and Pinky and the Brain. If you want to go further back The Magic Shoolbus and Arthur were my favorites.

Also, this isn't a cartoon but does anyone remember that one show with a scientist who would do weird simple experiments (always dressed in a white labcoat)? The show was aimed at kids. I forget its name but he was my hero when I was smaller.
Spoiler:
Hell yes I remember that; Mr. Wizard! That was the first thing I used to wake up to every morning as a youngster. Mr. Wizard, then Inspector Gadget, then Fraggle Rock, Muppet Babies, and then whatever happened to be on at the time. Apparently before I can remember, I used to wake up and watch Captain Kangaroo, and I remember a short stint with Mr. Dress-up. Also, somewhere in there TMNT took over my life and, to date, I own every TMNT action figure produced between 1988-1996, plus the 3 live action movies, the 4 extra movies (which I think I got from Burger King, iirc), and the Easter and Christmas Movie Specials [/brag].

My morning usually started some time around 6 am, with a healthy dose of cartoons until noon, then Nintendo until dinner time, then back to Nintendo, or over to a friends house to play...Nintendo.

Ahh, those were the days.