AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-11-14, 16:57   Link #21
Walkingcatastrophy
Deep Anime Dude

AH! Perfect Narona thats what I need some good tea. I gotta get me some fennel corns it seems.
Walkingcatastrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-14, 18:06   Link #22
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Sex
I'll remember that one

*Sleep and sleep until it's gone.

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 09:14   Link #23
npcomplete

Quote:
Sex
.. then won't the other person get sick?
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 21:06   Link #24
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

Best thing to do is drink lots and lots and lots and lots of vitamin C heavy drinks (orange juice comes to mind), and make sure you sweat it out. My suggestion is lots of hot food/drinks (I personally eat lots of rice porridge and hot hot hot tea), and staying in your bed at all times to keep your temperature up. Sweating it out through sleep is one of the most effective ways.

If you can't have sex, you can try masturbation, too. XD
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-15, 21:21   Link #25
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

How about take it slow?

Have a positive attitude that you will recover but don't force it.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-16, 02:00   Link #26
xKeen

Quote:
Sex

Now it may sound ridiculous, but it can work wonders. The heavy sweating can allow you sweat out the illness.
How do you get in the mood? I know I cant :S
Going to the doctor at my place costs a lot,so I only go to them when I feel like horrible shit.Usually I just take medication and take it easy(heh).Don't know any remedies,though.

Credits to Pellissier~
xKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-16, 02:07   Link #27
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete View Post
.. then won't the other person get sick?
Hopefully they're having sex too.
Old 2009-11-16, 03:25   Link #28
mit7059

Drinks lots of fluids but avoid caffeine and booze. Seriously you should be chugging gatorades. Also try to sleep more than normal. Working out, sex etc are bad ideas because they put more stress on your body meaning that it is harder for it to fight off the illness.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-16, 04:21   Link #29
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylaran View Post
Best thing to do is drink lots and lots and lots and lots of vitamin C heavy drinks (orange juice comes to mind)
Yeah, it is advised to drink a lot of water.

About the vitamine C, from what I know to take lots and lots of it is not necessary. If you lack of it, your immune system will weaken. So you can become sick more easily, and when you're sick, the illness lasts longer and the symptoms are stronger. So to be "a bit" above the daily recommended amount maintains your immune system in good condition, and when you're sick, it can decrease the bad effects and you recover faster.

But to take like ten times the daily recommended amount is useless.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-16, 05:23   Link #30
Ansalem
Speaker

You can follow in the example of Dr. NakaMats and photographically document and analyze your diet for the last 34 years with the intention of living to at least the age of 144.

For those interested, he also claims to hold the world record for inventions with over 3,000, and repeatedly (and unsuccessfully) runs for public office in Tokyo. Heck, he even has his own theme song; I heard him in Akihabara one day.

For further reading, Dr. NakaMats.
Old 2009-11-16, 06:17   Link #31
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
Yeah, it is advised to drink a lot of water.

About the vitamine C, from what I know to take lots and lots of it is not necessary. If you lack of it, your immune system will weaken. So you can become sick more easily, and when you're sick, the illness lasts longer and the symptoms are stronger. So to be "a bit" above the daily recommended amount maintains your immune system in good condition, and when you're sick, it can decrease the bad effects and you recover faster.

But to take like ten times the daily recommended amount is useless.
It's not only useless it can be dangerous too. If you want vitamine C, the best fruit to eat is the black currant (200mg of vitamine C for 100g ), Kiwi (80mg), Guava (180mg) etc...

And when I'm sick I do nothing expect be in my bed that's all and I endure the sickness as a man should be : without medicament or anything ...
Old 2009-11-16, 10:42   Link #32
npcomplete

hmm.. I take 1000 mg of vitamin C everyday in addition what I get from other foods and juices, and when I get sick, or start to feel sick, I temporarily increase that to 4000 mg[1]... I'm not dead yet Along with a host of other herbs and supplements (zinc, echinecea, oregano oil and more exotic things) it usually cures me very fast. I used to get sick often and very badly from being allergenic and asthmatic. But if I take these at the first sign of a sore throat or cough, and not stressing, then it always stops the sickness from developing.

[1] that's 11 and 44 times the recommended amount in the US.. but see here and here for alternative dosages
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-16, 13:34   Link #33
Kusa-San

Quote:
hmm.. I take 1000 mg of vitamin C everyday in addition what I get from other foods and juices, and when I get sick, or start to feel sick, I temporarily increase that to 4000 mg[1]... I'm not dead yet Along with a host of other herbs and supplements (zinc, echinecea, oregano oil and more exotic things) it usually cures me very fast. I used to get sick often and very badly from being allergenic and asthmatic. But if I take these at the first sign of a sore throat or cough, and not stressing, then it always stops the sickness from developing.

[1] that's 11 and 44 times the recommended amount in the US.. but see here and here for alternative dosages
Yep I heard that for vitamine C but I heard also that if you take too much vitamine C it can become pro-oxidant too so....But I know that Pauling recommend dose around 4000mg per day.
Old 2009-11-16, 16:02   Link #34
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
It's pretty hard for me to get better if I fall with a fever or a flu because I'm allergic to the most commonly used commercial medication in existence known as Aspirin. Normally, if I fall with any kind of illness, I tend to take a pain killer like Tylenol or Panadol, lie down while listening to some music and wait it out. It works for the most part actually, especially considering I'm prone to severe migranes. I can't say much more tho. I haven't been seriously ill for 7 years. Correct nutrition and a balanced mix of natural vitamins works over 9000 times better than flu shots, which I also haven't been taking for 7 years.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-16, 16:04   Link #35
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Go for strong herbal teas, especially stuff with cinnamon or peppermint in it.

Eat spicy food. I am not kidding. Spicy food causes mucus to thin out so your sinuses should unblock and you should be able to blow your nose better.

Take an expectorant like Mucinex. It causes you to cough more often, so you'll cough that crap out of your lungs faster.

Quote:
Sex

Now it may sound ridiculous, but it can work wonders. The heavy sweating can allow you sweat out the illness.

You can try exercising instead... but its not quite as fun lol
Good idea, get someone else sick. What wonderful advice!
Old 2009-11-16, 19:01   Link #36
Walkingcatastrophy
Deep Anime Dude

So! I've been drinking lots and lots of fluids. I spent the past 10 hours of work drenched head to toe and physically exhausting myself (Prob not the best cure all.) Only good thing though is now I get to kick back for the rest of the day and take some multi-vit! (and hang out on suki)
Walkingcatastrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 05:25   Link #37
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:

Well, I said what is said about it, but I guess the body can filter out the amount of vitamin that is not necessary. Anyway, 10 times, ok, but I personally wonder if 44 times the RA is really necessary. At best, it is, at worse it's a waste of money and/or dangerous.

Now don't take me wrong, personally, I am a believer that vitamins supplements, herbals tea, or trace elements (for instance, manganeze can help to reduce/suppress the allergy) help to maintain the body in good condition (but the person should have a good alimentation too. It would make no sense to eat dishes full of fat everyday, and to take supplements beside it as if it was an "anti poison"). But about taking "enormous" (50 times, 100 times the RA) amount of such things, while it could be harmless to do so with the Vitamin C (but there are studies that say it can be dangerous), it can be dangerous about some other supplements.

Anyway, I am not part of those who spend time "calculating" the amount of vitamins and trace elements in their dishes and stuffs like that (No offense, Kusa, but it would be one hell of a thing to do. Cooking and eating would become a pain IMO), so it happens/ed that I ends/ed above the RA of vitamin C.

Last edited by Narona; 2009-12-16 at 12:11.
Old 2009-11-17, 05:34   Link #38
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Excessive amounts of vitamins can kill or damage your immune system by helping to breed immunological antibodies, resulting in killer allergies.

Personally I feel that there isn't any point in being so sceptical about such health issues. Eat well, stay fit, die anyway, it is not like you can predetermine your death or paralysis, so why not make full use of the time making yourself happy? Besides, it is proven that being happy prolongs your life.

Do something you like in that time, but don't overdo it. Life is about physical & mental balance, emotional stability, and sex. I am sure your conscience can adjust itself to something that it will like but not inhibit your pursuit for more than that usual contentment.

P.S Never add citric juices to tea. You won't be able to happily savour it over a long period of time by sipping because of the change in acidity as the tea cools.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 05:47   Link #39
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Excessive amounts of vitamins can kill or damage your immune system by helping to breed immunological antibodies, resulting in killer allergies.
People are supposed to read the Instructions and to follow them anyway (or to ask their doctor about it because it's not a game. For in,stance, taking iron while taking vitamin C can be, depending on the person, very dangerous.). It's also not recommanded if not forbidden to take freely things like that in some cases. For example: during a pregnancy you have to be very careful of what you can take.

Quote:
Personally I feel that there isn't any point in being so sceptical about such health issues.
Depends. Take my example about Brewer's yeast, every dermatologist (at least here) will say to you that it is good (as long as you follow the instructions) because it's not easy at all to get what you need to maintain the quality of, for example, your nails (now if you mean that people should not care about taking care of their body, I disagree)

Now, on a different topic, sometimes even when you have a good diet and a happy life, it happens that you suffer from things like allergies. A friend of mine is like that, and taking Mangazene helps him to reduce this problem.

Last edited by Narona; 2009-11-17 at 07:23.
Old 2009-11-17, 06:10   Link #40
Kusa-San

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
Anyway, I am not part of those who spend time "calculating" the amount of vitamins and trace elements in their dishes and stuffs like that (No offense, Kusa, but it would be one hell of a thing to do. Cooking and eating would become a pain IMO),
Gné ? I never said that I did that

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart

Personally I feel that there isn't any point in being so sceptical about such health issues. Eat well, stay fit, die anyway, it is not like you can predetermine your death or paralysis, so why not make full use of the time making yourself happy? Besides, it is proven that being happy prolongs your life.
It reminds me the placebo effect. Sometimes, just because you think it's good it will make you feel good (where in truth it does nothing at all ). There are some extreme case with the placebo effect. For example, there was a person who strongly believe she had a cancer and because of that she had all the symptom but not the cancer. People should not understimate the power of the mind on the body. There are many deseace which is due to the mind.