Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-01-29, 16:37   Link #1
plastic unicorn
(miko-senpai)

anime like paradise kiss

This is perhaps a bit of a long shot, seeing as I am pretty much on-top of most of the anime that has come out over the last few years, but I have no doubts that there are a lot of people out there who are better versed than myself.

I am looking for more anime series like:

Paradise Kiss & Aishiteruze Baby

I dont like Kanon, Canvas, Shuffle! or any of those Harem-type series...

Suzuka I did enjoy, however it wasnt nearly as original as Paradise Kiss for example.

Any suggestions? (Please)
Old 2006-01-29, 17:16   Link #2
mit7059

I am currently watching Lamune, you might like it, its not completely subbed yet though. It moves at a slower pace than some of the other shows and focuses on the day to day lives of the two main characters, and don't be fooled by the opener, its not a harem anime, there is only one main relationship.

You might also like Air, while not romance persay if you liked Aishiteruze Baby you might like it.
Even though Da Capo is a harem anime, you might like it, it really only focuses on one triangle, and in reality only one relationship, (the other person in the triangle does not end up happy).

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-01-29, 18:54   Link #3
plastic unicorn
(miko-senpai)

I really didnt like Lamune, though I had a lengthy conversation with some of the guys/gals on this forum about that and came to the conclusion that our different life experiences were probably the reason why. I even wrote a review on AniDB expressing my opinions on Lamune... (username mik0)

Air was good, I did enjoy that series, however for me it lacked the contemporary side of things that I guess are part of the reason I like Paradise Kiss...

I really didnt like Da Capo... almost as much as Lamune. These love trianges, although they can be done well, are often a genre of their own in anime and as such often detract from character realism/development. Like Lamune, I couldnt bring myself to finish the series.

Sorry, this isnt an attempt to flame. I appreciate that my anime tastes are rather specific, and that anything I dont like I am not suggesting is necessarily inherently bad or anything.

Does anyone know of any of the less main-stream anime series? I like my anime dark at times too, so dont hold back (ecchi can be funny, i am actually a fan of Green Green, but hentai doesnt have anything for me. It should be noted thus that adult content does not reflect the degree of 'darkness' in a series.)

Oh, in addition... I like the series Koi Kaze - although controversial in the ideas it brings up, the series itself and the characters were interesting and more original than, for example, Da Capo.
Old 2006-01-29, 21:25   Link #4
domino
デレデレ

Sounds like we share tastes. Avoid anything harem-y (do a background check on series to see whether or not it was based on a hentai game).

Try Honey & Clover, Full Moon wo Sagashite (though I think it was recently licensed?), Peach Girl, Harukanaru Toki no Naka de. Shoujo is the way to go.

Ouran High Host Club and Angelique come out later this year, check those out too. For now, though, my top reccommendation goes to Honey & Clover.
Old 2006-01-30, 01:49   Link #5
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Try Peach Girl. It is the tale of two girls and the loves they find -- or don't find. Momo looks like a bad girl and Sae seems as pure as the driven snow. They are each the opposite of what they look like. This anime has twists and turns that will make your head spin as Momo seeks love and Sae mostly seeks whatever Momo has.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-01-30, 03:37   Link #6
Calca
Expressionless

I second Honey & Clover.

Morita is one of the best anime characters out there.
Old 2006-01-30, 04:43   Link #7
plastic unicorn
(miko-senpai)

Oh, i have already started on Peach Girl and it is good so far. I have the whole series someone backed up.

I am sure that I also have Full Moon somewhere, though considering it was recently licensed - well, perhaps I dont anymore :P

Everyone seemed to love Honey & Clover, but personally I stopped watching it. I guess I didnt like the lolita-type-thing going on with that girl who looked like she was 5, and a bunch of guys going nuts over that. hmm.

Am currently asking my FTP to host "Harukanaru Toki no Naka..." so that I can DL it
Old 2006-01-30, 09:54   Link #8
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

Oh gawd Haruka is TERRIBLE!! Play the game instead!!
.......is my personal opinion. I'm not really expecting anything from the Angelique TV series either,game-anime adaptations are usually not that good(xcept for Gungrave )

I think we have similar taste considering romance animes.(And the same age :P)
The Glass Mask is a classic, combines stage acting with romance,thing is the anime itself isn't that good. Neither the romance or the acting part is no way close to average. Very bad.The manga is a masterpiece,but wellll,the author has gone mad and stopped drawing after she became this leader of a cult religious group and is 'awaiting' for a inspiration from god.
Rose of Versailles is also a classic, the anime is also good as well,if you're fine with old ones.

I personally recommend Shoujo Kakumei Utena and Princess Tutu.
Oh and almost forgot, try Emma as well

Last edited by sukreih; 2006-01-30 at 20:57.
Old 2006-02-01, 17:24   Link #9
Chichi

I asked a similar question for Paradise Kiss in this section only a few weeks back. I personally suggest ‘Beck’, if you haven’t already seen it. It is directed by the person responsible for Paradise Kiss, and revolves around the same contemporary/realistic approach with its characters and primary focus.
Old 2006-02-04, 17:29   Link #10
plastic unicorn
(miko-senpai)

Beck was a great anime, and I very much wish that I could see it again anew.
Closed Thread