AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-03-15, 14:07   Link #221
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Edit: EA has officially declared that they are deleting any forum threads on their site that mentions modding. This of course includes deleting the fact that the game can run offline.
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9368164.page
But can they stop other forums -- or even certain "anonymous" based communities? No.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 15:31   Link #222
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
But can they stop other forums -- or even certain "anonymous" based communities? No.
Now EA don't care and wont acknowledge the use of modding. Have they released anything about being able to play offline yet?

Maxis answered instead http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/15/ma...-offline-mode/

Quote:
Maxis: SimCity could have had “a subset offline mode” but the idea was rejected

Last edited by Ak3mi; 2013-03-15 at 16:55.
Ak3mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 19:31   Link #223
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

New info from players now added a new twist to the game; police stations are unnecessary because crimes don't exist as long as you don't have industry or shops. So by building a zone containing nothing but utilities, parks and houses but no police station, you can have a massive population town filled with criminals but still perfectly functional and turn a profit.
Old 2013-03-16, 19:24   Link #224
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Oh wow good thing I didn't even bothered to get this game

We recognize that there are fans—people who love the original SimCity—who want that. But we’re also hearing from thousands of people who are playing across regions, trading, communicating and loving the Always-Connected functionality. The SimCity we delivered captures the magic of its heritage but catches up with ever-improving technology.”

Thousands? They sure are keeping pretty quiet.....
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 12:11   Link #225
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Watching EA run Maxis into ground in record time is both saddening and yet entertaining.

For once i was glad that i didn't have good internet access for the last month and missed boarding this wrecked train. Hopefully someone will mod out all the horrible crap that EA & Maxis forced into this game.
Old 2013-03-17, 12:23   Link #226
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Watching EA run Maxis into ground in record time is both saddening and yet entertaining.
It's like watching a victim get abused, while watching a bad guy fail.
Old 2013-03-17, 13:49   Link #227
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
We should watch EA getting owned instead... cause at this rate the gaming of western civilization is getting bleak. Oh well, I can always go back to minecraft if I really need too.
Old 2013-03-17, 14:30   Link #228
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post

We recognize that there are fans—people who love the original SimCity—who want that. But we’re also hearing from thousands of people who are playing across regions, trading, communicating and loving the Always-Connected functionality. The SimCity we delivered captures the magic of its heritage but catches up with ever-improving technology.”

No, they worded it wrongly. The trading and in game chat are good features. Always connected is horrible.

Simcity should have the option to be connected online to open up the commodity market and interaction aspect of the game, not requiring a constant connection.

tl;dr: market+online interaction != always online

Last edited by Flying Dagger; 2013-03-17 at 14:41.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 15:57   Link #229
saravis

Quote:

Two letters come to mind; B and S.
I can understand people liking the option of connectivity to do whatever with, but nobody would love a mandatory connection.
If they actually do believe those words, then they aren't just out of touch with gamers, they're out of touch with reality.
Old 2013-03-17, 19:23   Link #230
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravis View Post
I can understand people liking the option of connectivity to do whatever with, but nobody would love a mandatory connection.
If they actually do believe those words, then they aren't just out of touch with gamers, they're out of touch with reality.
When I buy a game. I expect to play it wherever I am. In the ocean, a cave on my death bed. The fact they need you to have a constant internet connection is plain retarded. Knowing EA they'll probably just kill the servers in a few years. And no amount of petitions will save the game.
Old 2013-03-17, 21:53   Link #231
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by saravis View Post
Usually it's typical of these businesses.

The CEOs/investors tend to be out of touch as they spend most of their time way above the peasants to notice anything. I don't know how they convinced themselves that this always online DRM would be a good thing.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-18, 02:18   Link #232
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
New info from players now added a new twist to the game; police stations are unnecessary because crimes don't exist as long as you don't have industry or shops. So by building a zone containing nothing but utilities, parks and houses but no police station, you can have a massive population town filled with criminals but still perfectly functional and turn a profit.
Oohh, I didn't know you could build the Sibyl system.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-18, 02:36   Link #233
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Usually it's typical of these businesses.

The CEOs/investors tend to be out of touch as they spend most of their time way above the peasants to notice anything. I don't know how they convinced themselves that this always online DRM would be a good thing.
And that mentality extends well beyond gaming. It's pathetic. It's feasible to presume that always online DRM is a good thing -- for themselves.
Old 2013-03-18, 02:56   Link #234
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Has the sales figures came out yet?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-18, 04:25   Link #235
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Without analyzing sales data, it's hard to say whether online DRM is actually worth the effort. But if you look at the trend so far, it's not hard to guess that it's bringing in enough return to justify it. Otherwise, who the hell would bother with online drm.

Though for Simcity's case goes more than just having terrible launch support. The game just isn't ready for launch and EA's PR dept is having a field day shooting themselves in the foot.
Old 2013-03-18, 14:50   Link #236
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/18/si...ee-game-offer/

Quote:
SimCity sells over 1.1M units, free game offer includes Dead Space 3, Battlefield 3, SimCity 4
Dam I wanted it to be Big Rigs Not great news, just means EA will continue to do what they do. Incoming DLC for bigger Cities
Old 2013-03-18, 15:22   Link #237
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3mi View Post
SimCity 4
LOL. It's easy getting that game for free anyways.

And in other news:

Quote:
Electronic Arts' John Riccitiello is stepping down as chief executive officer. Effective March 30, former EA president and CEO Larry Probst will step in as executive chairman.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/..._medium=social

Face it. The launch was a complete failure under his watch.
Old 2013-03-18, 17:35   Link #238
saravis

Quote:

Dam I wanted it to be Big Rigs Not great news, just means EA will continue to do what they do. Incoming DLC for bigger Cities
The question is, would it have sold better or worse without the DRM? There's a lot of factors that go into if a game sells well or not, DRM is far from the only one.
Old 2013-03-18, 17:41   Link #239
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:

Over 1 million does sound like a lot if it was most other games, but for a huge franchise like SimCity?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-18, 18:03   Link #240
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Yeah you guys are right it is actually a small amount of copies sold compared to what the franchise is actually capable of. Just shows the state of EA, however I still don't think it will change much.

I was going to rant on about how EA will blame this on how small the PC gaming community is or how PC's are in the decline, but its just not true. Most people know this, so will leave it out ^^