AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2006-07-24, 14:18   Link #941
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

According to the Wiki about the story starting in 2003 April ... it points out like a dozen errors in the manga itself about what time of the year it might be but then does a reasonable detective job over what was most likely meant.

Most fantasy writers will tell you that for "suspension of disbelief" to work properly, you have to get the mundane details very right (the day-to-day stuff).

I'm going to carry on with the theory for now that Mana and Kaede are somewhat older than their classmates. It just makes more sense to me and one thing I don't want to happen is Negima falling into "yeah, yeah, whats the next drawing look like" hell away from a fun somewhat believable story.

I suppose we could surmise Chizuru just drank a lot of milk (semi-myth) or had extremely good nutrition as a youngster

So far he's managed to keep the characters pretty distinguishable.. there's about 5 or so I mix up all the time but the rest I can tag even if I've forgotten their name.
Old 2006-07-24, 14:40   Link #942
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I'm going to carry on with the theory for now that Mana and Kaede are somewhat older than their classmates..
Thanks to some of the past volumes, i'm starting to think that more about different characters, but thinking about it in more detail - thats what Akamatsu's plan was all along.. who know's untill we get more of a backstory for the 'elder' acting characters.
Old 2006-07-24, 15:28   Link #943
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
I suppose we could surmise Chizuru just drank a lot of milk (semi-myth) or had extremely good nutrition as a youngster
I can't really believe that this particular instance is an issue. All people grow at different rates. I achieved my full adult height by the end of my sixth grade year (6'1") - at the time I was the tallest person in my class, I've since been relegated to average. The next year (my first year of junior high) I met a girl who was the same age as me, 5'11", and had a D cup (though she was more normally proportioned than Chizuru is). At the same time there was a girl who was not even 5' tall yet (and I'm pretty sure had not achieved puberty) and a boy who was 5'1". This just seems like a non-factor to me. They're at the most variable age of their development - some will have already passed through puberty and be almost completely grown, some won't have started yet and will still be like children. Emotionally they'll also be all over the map.

Though I do think Mana might be a little older than the others. I think Kaede just seems that way (some people are like that as well). But I'll see if I can find my character guide when I get home (I'm a little afraid that I'm just remembering the sketches in the back of the manga).
Old 2006-07-24, 15:49   Link #944
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah, I remember a girl in junior high (about 12) who was for all intents and purposes fully grown physically... man, she caught hell and abusive behavior (one of the prime arguments for single-sex junior highs ... while they're all hormonlally insane).

Actually Chizuru wasn't an issue so much as Mana's backstory just slapping against the other hints. At least Sayo, Chach, and Evangeline we've got backstories that fit their chronological ages. Mana looking like she does (not just the figure but the way she carries herself), and the depth of her backstory just make it hard for me to reconcile that with "14". Kaede, mostly same reasons though I'd still go "15" at the least.
Old 2006-07-24, 16:09   Link #945
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Kaede I don't really have a problem with, some kids just grow up earlier than others. She actually reminds me somewhat of myself at that age (obviously minus the ninja parts).
I also have a bit of an issue with Mana. Not so much because of the way she carries herself or whatnot, but it seems silly to me that she can have done all the things that she has hinted at having done without being a little older. I'm hoping when I get home I'm going to find out that I either am misremembering and don't actually have a character guide, or that the birthdays are not listed.

Also, as an aside, just because the birthday is listed as whatever back in the earlier parts of the series doesn't necessarily mean that he won't (or hasn't already) changed it later on. Inconsistencies like that crop up a lot in serialized fiction (whether novels, comics, tv shows, whatever) because sometimes the story heads someplace you didn't think it was going to originally. He's already revised plenty of other stuff.
Old 2006-07-24, 16:51   Link #946
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

True all that....
((?? just got a nasty note from the tax people so I'll be spending the next few days doing their research for them (yes, I *did* turn that in.. penalty my ass... usual stupid stuff). Carry on all....))
Old 2006-07-24, 18:10   Link #947
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Well drat. I thought I had a character guide. I can find my Tsubasa one, my School Rumble one - but I don't see a Negima one.
Old 2006-07-24, 18:27   Link #948
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
Well drat. I thought I had a character guide. I can find my Tsubasa one, my School Rumble one - but I don't see a Negima one.
Heh, that always happens when you wanna find something.

Hmm, this whole topic has finally got my money wantng to be spent on the character guide.. ^^;
Old 2006-07-24, 21:52   Link #949
rooboy
Umeboshi!

If you find a link for one, pm it to me. I'm afraid I may just have had a dream about purchasing it or something.
Old 2006-07-26, 13:28   Link #950
USCPharmacist

anything that the age can be a disguise so that mana can stay in junior high?
USCPharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-26, 14:14   Link #951
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Actually that's one of the reasons I'd like to see the source on the ages ... if it's taken from (for example) their school records or whatever - then obviously they all have to say they're the same age. Similarly if it's taken from initial character concepts - well, originally I'm sure they were probably all intended to be middle school girls of appropriate ages. It's only once each one starts to get developed that incongruities start to pop up.

To be more on-topic - Have I missed something? I'll admit I haven't been really reading my Shonen Magazine for a couple of weeks (just skimming it), but how is Negi planning on
Spoiler for mild spoiler for current chapters and I'm not sure where the scanlations are at:
Old 2006-07-27, 08:26   Link #952
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

They have mentioned in the manga that a few student that are exchang student arnt of the same age such as Mana and the twins

also in august negima is ciming out on dvd in english finaly (doing a little dance).
Diaboso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-27, 08:56   Link #953
Sailor Enlil
GWAAAA!

Quote:
Actually that's one of the reasons I'd like to see the source on the ages ... if it's taken from (for example) their school records or whatever - then obviously they all have to say they're the same age. Similarly if it's taken from initial character concepts - well, originally I'm sure they were probably all intended to be middle school girls of appropriate ages. It's only once each one starts to get developed that incongruities start to pop up.

To be more on-topic - Have I missed something? I'll admit I haven't been really reading my Shonen Magazine for a couple of weeks (just skimming it), but how is Negi planning on
Spoiler for mild spoiler for current chapters and I'm not sure where the scanlations are at:
I found this at the end of a translation of Chapter 144:
Spoiler for Major spoiler warning:
Sailor Enlil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-27, 10:37   Link #954
Starlight Dreamer
.......Wishing on a Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanthraX^
Nice info starlight! Are they official or fan guesses?
oh sorry, they are offical, i think

Last edited by Starlight Dreamer; 2006-07-27 at 11:45.
Starlight Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-27, 10:58   Link #955
Starlight Dreamer
.......Wishing on a Star

I heard that they might put Negima on to Adult Swim!!!!
Old 2006-07-27, 11:03   Link #956
Starlight Dreamer
.......Wishing on a Star

If you don't believe my infomation on the last page, go check for yourself. I sure it is true because I got their birthdates and subtracked it from the year the story took place. The year is 2003.

Last edited by Starlight Dreamer; 2006-07-27 at 11:46.
Old 2006-07-27, 11:11   Link #957
Starlight Dreamer
.......Wishing on a Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsama
Hmm, i remember the ages being posted on Negima's Wiki character page - could be official?

Volume 11's just about a month away, can't wait~
On that cover, Negi is a cute little girl!!!!!
Old 2006-07-27, 11:21   Link #958
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight Dreamer
If you don't believe my infomation on the last page, go check for yourself. I know mind is true because I got their birthdates and subtracked it from the year the story took place. The year is 2003.
Where did you get the birthdays from? (that's the question)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight Dreamer
I heard that they might put Negima on to Adult Swim!!!!
I haven't seen anything about that - also I looked for information on it after you posted this and still didn't find anything.
Not only that, but Funimation has the Negima license - I would think they would stick it on the Funimation Channel unless Adult Swim was actively trying to get it (which would be a little outside what they normally show).
Old 2006-07-27, 11:37   Link #959
Starlight Dreamer
.......Wishing on a Star

Quote:
According to the Wiki about the story starting in 2003 April ... it points out like a dozen errors in the manga itself about what time of the year it might be but then does a reasonable detective job over what was most likely meant.

Most fantasy writers will tell you that for "suspension of disbelief" to work properly, you have to get the mundane details very right (the day-to-day stuff).

I'm going to carry on with the theory for now that Mana and Kaede are somewhat older than their classmates. It just makes more sense to me and one thing I don't want to happen is Negima falling into "yeah, yeah, whats the next drawing look like" hell away from a fun somewhat believable story.

So far he's managed to keep the characters pretty distinguishable.. there's about 5 or so I mix up all the time but the rest I can tag even if I've forgotten their name.
Sorry, I mess up with Chizuru age. She is 14, and just to make sure for any other mistake, I check it over, now should be the real age. And Mana and Kaede are 15, but their birthday hasn't past yet, so they are still 14
Old 2006-07-27, 11:44   Link #960
Starlight Dreamer
.......Wishing on a Star

Quote:
Where did you get the birthdays from? (that's the question)

I haven't seen anything about that - also I looked for information on it after you posted this and still didn't find anything.
Not only that, but Funimation has the Negima license - I would think they would stick it on the Funimation Channel unless Adult Swim was actively trying to get it (which would be a little outside what they normally show).
Thanks for the adult swim info, so it was a lie. I got the birthday from Wikipedia, so it might not be right, but i think it is

Tags
action, fantasy