AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-02-03, 03:22   Link #101
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

The dub was looks to be decent I thought Mio and Ritsu's seems to fit, but Yui seemed a bit to reserved hmm, though I have to hear Azusa's english voice before I decide if it's worth it or not to buy .

Edit: Also they better keep Azusa's "Azu-nyan" nickname, I'll be sad it they don't D:.
MAL

Last edited by Kotohono; 2011-02-03 at 10:19.
Old 2011-02-03, 08:18   Link #102
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

I, personally, will probably buy it; solely because it's cheaper than ordering straight from Japan, and unlikely to be made in a back room by Malay pirates like the suspiciously cheap eBay DVDs that I'm seeing for sale.
Old 2011-02-03, 15:53   Link #103
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
I, personally, will probably buy it; solely because it's cheaper than ordering straight from Japan
Well, that and the fact that it includes subtitles, for me. I don't know Japanese so I need the translation, but you couldn't pay me to watch I have no interest in the dub.
Old 2011-02-03, 17:44   Link #104
Otaku Guy
Disabled By Request

Quote:
I, personally, will probably buy it; solely because it's cheaper than ordering straight from Japan, and unlikely to be made in a back room by Malay pirates like the suspiciously cheap eBay DVDs that I'm seeing for sale.
If you dont like the english dub still buy the DVD or Blu-ray because it has Japanese Audio included and English Subtitles.
Old 2011-02-03, 18:35   Link #105
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku Guy View Post
If you dont like the english dub still buy the DVD or Blu-ray because it has Japanese Audio included and English Subtitles.
Exactly. Though, I'm kinda disappointed that it doesn't contain any of the bonus features of the Japanese release.
Old 2011-03-21, 15:37   Link #106
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Is the K-ON! dub fit for middle to high school students? (no swearing, little fanservice, etc.)
Old 2011-03-21, 16:22   Link #107
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Is the K-ON! dub fit for middle to high school students? (no swearing, little fanservice, etc.)
The US dub isn't out for another month. The Animax dub, I haven't seen much of (though that's still more than enough... ahem).

Taking a wild guess here, though, I'd say "yes".
Old 2011-03-21, 18:14   Link #108
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
I would hope so.... if there's any swearing someone failed on translation big time. "Fanservice" depends on your conservatism I guess... there's cuteness, some subtle implied humor... (like when Mio trips and exposes her panties to the concert audience - you don't *see* what the audience sees, but it is clear what just happened.)... I suppose the teacher's cosplay attacks on the girls (off-screen stripping their clothes off to dress them) could be considered over the edge in some quarters.
Old 2011-03-21, 21:33   Link #109
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
I don't think it would be fit for Catholic students though...
Old 2011-03-21, 22:00   Link #110
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I would hope so.... if there's any swearing someone failed on translation big time. "Fanservice" depends on your conservatism I guess... there's cuteness, some subtle implied humor... (like when Mio trips and exposes her panties to the concert audience - you don't *see* what the audience sees, but it is clear what just happened.)... I suppose the teacher's cosplay attacks on the girls (off-screen stripping their clothes off to dress them) could be considered over the edge in some quarters.
yeah they better, No worrys Bandai did a good job with Haruhi Suzumiya keeping it as original as possible, and good translated dub. Hopefully they do the same...
Old 2011-03-21, 22:33   Link #111
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnAwesomee View Post
yeah they better, No worrys Bandai did a good job with Haruhi Suzumiya keeping it as original as possible, and good translated dub. Hopefully they do the same...
Aye, I have the Haruhi collection and managed to listen to the english track one time through (cringe, not a dub fan) but the dialog writing was excellent.
Old 2011-03-22, 01:35   Link #112
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Just listened to the English dub trailer.

That honestly sounded a lot better than I thought it would. I can't think of an anime that would be harder to dub into English than this one, as there's simply nothing whatsoever in the North American entertainment world that is like K-On!, so it can be difficult to imagine how these girls should sound in English.

In my opinion, the English dub voices genuinely fit the personalities, which is a minor miracle in Yui's case.

I also don't know why some previous posters on this thread were basically accusing the voice actors here of not emoting enough. I felt that Ritsu's voice actress emoted her lines just fine - any more, and it would have sounded over the top, imo.

Yui sounds slightly reserved compared to her voice in the original Japanese, but again, I'm just amazed that they actually found an English voice that could sound right for that character. Yui is one of the hardest anime characters to translate into an English dub: her personality comes across well in the original Japanese, but it can easily feel very Flanderized and/or inauthentic in English if the voice actress isn't extremely careful.
Old 2011-03-23, 02:54   Link #113
Friday
Im shy too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Ok, it's back!!!

if thats the english dub......
Im worried....
Old 2011-03-23, 10:23   Link #114
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
if thats the english dub......
Im worried....
I don't know. It starts to grow on you after about the tenth or twentieth time listening to it. I had to listen to it quite a few times when I slapped together my quick response video having some fun at the expense of the dub trailer, and the prior work that Yui's dubber (Stephanie Sheh) has done.

Bang-Zoom! dub Ritsu does seem to express the appropriate emotions from what little we hear of her, though feel I'm still going to be a long time getting used to her very girly voice. Dub Yui still feels like Yui, as played by Mikuru Asahina, to me . . . but it's not nearly as alarming as it was when I first listened to it.
Old 2011-03-23, 12:21   Link #115
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
I don't know. It starts to grow on you after about the tenth or twentieth time listening to it. I had to listen to it quite a few times when I slapped together my quick response video having some fun at the expense of the dub trailer, and the prior work that Yui's dubber (Stephanie Sheh) has done.

Bang-Zoom! dub Ritsu does seem to express the appropriate emotions from what little we hear of her, though feel I'm still going to be a long time getting used to her very girly voice. Dub Yui still feels like Yui, as played by Mikuru Asahina, to me . . . but it's not nearly as alarming as it was when I first listened to it.
Ritsu's a genki girl, not a tomboy, imo.

It's easy to confuse the two, but they're not one and the same, even if they do have some overlap.

The thing with Ritsu, imo, is that her voice should be clear and energetic and strong, but also feminine. Her English dub voice captures that very well, imo.
Old 2011-03-23, 13:09   Link #116
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Hmmm, and we don't here Mugi's voice in this.
Old 2011-03-23, 13:19   Link #117
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yui's voicing is the only one that had me cringing a bit and that's because it was too breathy (reminded me of the horrible voicing of Aoi in AYA). My main concern is that she's not going to be able to *read the lines fast enough* using that voice --- she was having trouble in the trailer. See, I've never heard any regular person who sounded like that so it dashes the "suspension of disbelief" against the rocks.

Mio and Ritsu's voice seem okay... though Mio voice actress seemed pretty wooden... and... stilted... needs more flow. Ritsu, I agree with Triple R -- she's not growly but actually just energetic in the athletic sort of way ... something like that actress in the NCIS: Los Angeles series who manages to merge girly with kickass.

We'll just have to see how it plays when it comes out.
Old 2011-03-23, 13:50   Link #118
viperdk1
The Colour of Magic

Not convinced by Mio's voice actor - Christina Vee is a good singer (if a little too used to using autotune on her own voice), but the little tidbit we got of her in the trailer makes me feel like she was phoning it in from across another bloody country.

Ritsu sounds a tad 'off' to me, too - it sorta reminds me of a Bioware RPG, where it feels like the on-screen actions and the VA work weren't done at the same time. Quite frankly, part of me thinks her VA was phoning it in - I've seen fandubs that are better than this, godamnit!

Yui's VA is probably the best one of the three we get to hear - ditzy but charming at the same time.

I am yet to be convinced that the Bandai dub will be worth my time watching - and I typically prefer dubbed animes (I've bought and pre-ordered Clannad (S1 and After Story respectively) in the Hybrid format BECAUSE of this). Vee needs to work on her acting skills, sharpish - and Ms. Lee's voice doesn't quite suit the character she's playing.

Sheh earns my respect for being a ditz (then again, she's voiced Mikuru in TMoHS, what was I expecting?). That's all.

If the actual anime proves me wrong and the faults I found today are rectified, I will admit that - but I will certainly give Bandai a sound thrashing otherwise. This is a dev team that pulled off Digimon dubs so very well in my early years, I know they're better than this potential piece of ****!
Old 2011-03-23, 13:55   Link #119
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think "phoning it in", "dry reading take the first cut", "stop asking about context and just read the line!", and "working alone in a box" pretty much sums up the sad state of english dubbing. Even A-list stars have trouble with that.
Old 2011-03-23, 14:01   Link #120
viperdk1
The Colour of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I think "phoning it in", "dry reading take the first cut", and "working alone in a box" pretty much sums up the sad state of english dubbing. Even A-list stars have trouble with that.
There are some stars that are capable of good VA work - sad shame is that there aren't all that many. Off the top of my head, David Matranga, Vic Mignogna, Todd Haberkorn, Greg Ayres (once he gets his helium fix ) Laura Bailey, Leah Clark and Luci Christian come to mind.

Not a lot - doesn't bode well.
Closed Thread