AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-07-13, 07:57   Link #1
Shadowlord
~DESU

Japan school kids to be tagged with RFID chips

I just say this article this morning, and it is fairly disturbing.

http://msn-cnet.com.com/Japan+school...ubj=ns_5266700

they have tagged children with chips that allow whoever is monitoring them, keep track of them. This raises extreme privacy issues in my eyes. if this idea catches on, pretty soon people could be tracked by anybody. the term "big brother" takes on a real meaning, especially if, and you know they will if this catches on, the government starts to monitor your movements. Your world of privacy won't exist. parents could track childrens movements (not necessarilty bad for younger kids) and couples could track each others movements. trust would no longer be an issue, because they could track their movements and see the location of their partner.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 08:32   Link #2
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlord
I just say this article this morning, and it is fairly disturbing.

http://msn-cnet.com.com/Japan+school...ubj=ns_5266700

they have tagged children with chips that allow whoever is monitoring them, keep track of them. This raises extreme privacy issues in my eyes. if this idea catches on, pretty soon people could be tracked by anybody. the term "big brother" takes on a real meaning, especially if, and you know they will if this catches on, the government starts to monitor your movements. Your world of privacy won't exist. parents could track childrens movements (not necessarilty bad for younger kids) and couples could track each others movements. trust would no longer be an issue, because they could track their movements and see the location of their partner.
At first I was like because I thought about privacy issues, too. But then I remember that tracking or installing some kinda bug on people without permission is still a crime. A school in Japan or Denmark that's allowed to track their pupils won't change that fact. Moreover, this tracking has more advantages than disadvantages since it will ensure that the pupils will go to school since they know that they are being watched. Plus, they are easily detectable if something should happen to them, i.e. they got kidnapped.
Well, that's it for now, maybe I'll post more later on when that thing called brain comes back from hibernation
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 09:04   Link #3
Inn3rchild
Child Forever

Send a message via ICQ to Inn3rchild Send a message via AIM to Inn3rchild Send a message via MSN to Inn3rchild Send a message via Yahoo to Inn3rchild
There are the advantages and disadvantages as Sin said, but, its still wrong, even somebody like Bush has the mind to not do something like this. If they tag the 'bad' people of school, then that would be understandable.
Inn3rchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 11:26   Link #4
Ending

Ridicilous; that would never go through in the parlament and the human right organizations would be in uproar.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 11:47   Link #5
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
This is wrong on so many levels. They're treating children as if they were captured animals then tag them before they're released out in the world, and it also sounds like as we were crimals/communists/canibals. If anything they should do to people in prison, not children. Man, 2004 must be a slow year for technological advances. Going to war today, putting trackers on kids tommorrow.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 12:04   Link #6
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

hm, interesting. The law exists, that installing a tracking device on people without permission is illegal. So the people actually know when they are tracked. And when they don't want to be tracked for whatever reason they can unequipe the chip (the chip is not implanted or something like that). Anyway, alone the fact, that such a tracking is necessary because of security matters is kinda sad.
Old 2004-07-13, 12:16   Link #7
gl-

I wouldn't want to be tagged that's for sure..
gl- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 12:23   Link #8
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

In that case throw away your handy (if you have one). It communicates with the nearest transmission station (so your theoretically trackable via handy). Does anybody complain about handies?

comes to my mind... handy = cell(ular?)phone (well in germany we use the term handy, which is not a german but english word, but in english the term cell(ular?)phone is used... uhm yeah very confusing for me)

Last edited by Jinto; 2004-07-13 at 14:48.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 13:24   Link #9
Baba
Grouky Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Baba Send a message via MSN to Baba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto Lin
In that case throw away your handy (if you have one). It communicates with the nearest transmission station (so your theoretically trackable via handy). Does anybody complain about handies?
The fact that you can technicaly be tracked by your handphone is irrelevant as nobody is allowed (under normal cicumstances) to do it. Moreover, they don't, I can't keep archives of what you've done and where you've been the way they can with this device....
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 13:26   Link #10
Jonte
. . . . .

Send a message via ICQ to Jonte Send a message via MSN to Jonte
before we known it the whole worlds population has it, and then.. the company gets hacked :P
Jonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 13:30   Link #11
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
Its the mark of the beast! The day of reckoning is upon us! Oh wait... its not on the right hand or forehead huh? Mmmkay scratch that idea then. Doesn't seem that bad to me, not like its implanted or something. Besides everywhere you go there is a camera pointed at you it seems nowadays without your knowledge, at least the kids know they are being tracked for their own good. Also it could be kind of fun, if a kid pisses you off just steal his tracker, put it on some subway tracks and then tell a teacher you think hes up to something. (just assuming how it works) They look on the computer, see his blip on the tracks moments before it vanishes after being crushed by the subway. They think the worse only to find him alive and expell his ass for playing such a cruel joke.

Shun me, for I am frumious!
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 13:58   Link #12
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

It's an idea that will never get past law makers and probably not even the bureacracy of the Ministry of Education. They can hear political activists and the PTA mob gathering around.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 14:58   Link #13
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba
The fact that you can technicaly be tracked by your handphone is irrelevant as nobody is allowed (under normal cicumstances) to do it. Moreover, they don't, I can't keep archives of what you've done and where you've been the way they can with this device....
Well you can't, but the police can (even hackers if they can intrude in the system).
Sure the new device keeps track more accurate, easier to read and with a higher potential to be abused.
But if this is alone the parents decission, whether they equipe their kids with such devices for their own security or not, than I'ld say it is not wrong. There is no law against parents keeping track of their children (well I am not sure on this point, but I doubt it is illegal to track your own children, since parents are responsible for their kids).
Old 2004-07-13, 15:03   Link #14
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

If that happend I could finally do the thing in the movies where I take it off and put it on a dog's collar or a moving car or or a bar of soap or something.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 15:36   Link #15
Babbit

Send a message via AIM to Babbit
It wouldn't be bad for school security purposes, where kids shouldn't be where their not suppose to be. It will come in handy for teachers who are scared as hell because they cannot locate a missing student in a burning school. I just viewed it as an ID that students had to wear, during school, so teachers can keep track of their location if they cutted class or something.

This topic was very misleading, it's not as extreme as it was portrayed to be by the topic creator and some of the replies.
Babbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 15:44   Link #16
samir85

Send a message via ICQ to samir85
Well, if I were a pupil, I wouldn't want that my parents always know when I ditch school.

I think, it's not right when parents get total control over their children (wich this technology could partly realize).

I have a strange feeling in my stomach about this, wich makes me a little sceptic.
samir85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 16:01   Link #17
Shadowlord
~DESU

The fact is, if your not aware of it, it is wrong. If the parents give permission for this to be done on their kids, then fine, but if not, then i would have to say it violates the persons privacy. Sure there are many good uses for this, such as abduction cases and runnaways. But there are equally as many bad aspects that cannot be overlooked.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 16:11   Link #18
Babbit

Send a message via AIM to Babbit
Eh I started to think about the exploding necklaces ( trackers ) from battle royal =/
Babbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 16:34   Link #19
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbit
Eh I started to think about the exploding necklaces ( trackers ) from battle royal =/
Heh. I was thinking the exact same thing. ^^

Anyway, after reading that little blurb (can't really call it an article) I think it's a pretty good idea. It's not like they're going to be tracking the kid's every movement, rather they'll be used to monitor areas where the children shouldn't be or aren't supposed to go.

"The tags will be read by readers installed in school gates and other key locations to track the kids' movements." So a tracker at the main gates to make sure the students don't leave, maybe one on the roof if its accessible, the teacher's office, etc. Sounds pretty reasonable to me...
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 19:22   Link #20
Jonte
. . . . .

Send a message via ICQ to Jonte Send a message via MSN to Jonte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbit
yupp, if your outside the scool doors one minute before the lessons are supposed to be over your head pops off.. this would a great red fireworks display if there was for example a fire emergency ^^
Jonte is offline   Reply With Quote