AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2010-09-07, 18:43   Link #7101
mitsuganae

Personally, I rather like observing how Nagi and Hayate adjust to their new life. It's a refreshing change from the (overcooked, IMHO) drama of the Athena arc. I admit the comedy is a little low key -- maybe Hata needs to regain his comic footing. On the other hand, maybe the low key comedy is deliberate and the story is building up to another drama (what with Nagi screaming Luca's name and all).

I'm usually indifferent to Hina, but her constant (w)angst over Hayate is IMHO starting to become monotonously annoying and annoyingly monotonous. On the other hand, it certainly makes her sudden departure in chapter 284 all the more sweet! It's a great "Take that!" moment.
mitsuganae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-07, 19:00   Link #7102
madmac

Quote:
Personally, I rather like observing how Nagi and Hayate adjust to their new life. It's a refreshing change from the (overcooked, IMHO) drama of the Athena arc. I admit the comedy is a little low key -- maybe Hata needs to regain his comic footing. On the other hand, maybe the low key comedy is deliberate and the story is building up to another drama (what with Nagi screaming Luca's name and all).

I'm usually indifferent to Hina, but her constant (w)angst over Hayate is IMHO starting to become monotonously annoying and annoyingly monotonous. On the other hand, it certainly makes her sudden departure in chapter 284 all the more sweet! It's a great "Take that!" moment.
I'm pretty much with you on this. (Although I did like the Athena drama while it lasted, I just don't want it back anytime soon.)

At the same time, things are starting to pick up again.

Quote:
Right?

anyone?

Oh dear, there's no one here...
Well, I read, but I do most of my posting somewhere else. I think it's more of a self-reinforcing pattern--This forum isn't very active, so people visit less, making it even less active.

I imagine it'll still pick up when there's more to discuss, though.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-07, 19:30   Link #7103
Trans-Fat

As much as I love Hina, I wouldn't mind if she got a new arc where she is forced to leave Hayate.

Spoiler for for what I can see happen if Hina got a new arc:
Trans-Fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-07, 20:20   Link #7104
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
Quote:
Originally Posted by azziz View Post
i know there's almost as many people who hate Athena than those who love her,but you must aknoelde thing were more lively when she was here;this forum is pretty much dead nowaday.
good lucas to restore fan interest.
I don't hate Athena for the character, I do dislike Athena for the fandom though. Athena, I believe, didn't especially bring life to the forum at all herself though. I believe it could have been centered around Nagi and the activity would have been just as effective.
It was the drama of the manga and the length of the storyline that brought it. The character seemed to be a factor only when she decided to drop out of the story that fans seemed to think it would never return to that level and vanished.

As for the Hina-tan plotline, I find it rather implausible that anything would have had that drastic an effect on her short of being outright rejected by Hayate (and the other girls would probably stand on her side of the line if it ever came to that).

Would people quit throwing my faith in humanity being intelligent a shovel?
... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.
The world is winning.. by leaps and bounds.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.
Bastion_Arcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-08, 00:09   Link #7105
zodanhko
*ignoring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastion_Arcion View Post
Athena, I believe, didn't especially bring life to the forum at all herself though. I believe it could have been centered around Nagi and the activity would have been just as effective.
It was the drama of the manga and the length of the storyline that brought it. The character seemed to be a factor only when she decided to drop out of the story that fans seemed to think it would never return to that level and vanished.
Individually, I don't think any single character could have anything at all to contribute for a discussion by he/herself. And, I agreed, it could have been centered around anyone and still have the potential to be as effective if the "story/drama/event" concerning them is interesting/exciting/great, etc. However, for about 2XX chapters about the other characters, there wasn't such or much of an excitement that the manga delivered for us to have as much discussion as during Athena's arc.
Broadly, you could say that it was because of the storyline that the "manga" had or the drama that the author created; but, more specifically, it was because of the "character" that the events followed that established the "storyline/drama" that give us the opportunity for the discussions. Like you said, it could have centered around Hayate and Nagi or anyone else, but I think their "story" (or anyone else's) wasn't just that intrigue enough yet compare to Athena's, and they have been together since the manga started for a much longer period of time.

If it was the "drama of the manga" (not that I agree) that have been lagging which indicates that Hata is incompetence to make another great drama before and after Athena's arc, I guess he couldn't make a great plot out of any other character (yet?) besides Athena. So, it was still Athena that made the thread rolling. ^.^
zodanhko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-08, 04:46   Link #7106
Rah
Are you a lolicon? :3

Yo, zod. Haven't seen ya in ages. How ya doin'? =)

@Trans

Well, that's.... interesting?

I doubt that HnG could ever go in that direction. To be so Hina centered, or whatnot, and 'sides that, Hina doesn't seem as such a weak character for that even to happen.

Why would she leave everyone for her parents without them first explaining anything? Hina is one of the lifelines of HnG. Certainly a Hina centered arc could bring more popularity to it, but Hata did say that he hates overly dramatic things, though he did do that whole Athena thing.

Eh, it's all just so random...

There are far better choices she could have chosen instead of just leaping with her parents. And if Yukiji knew about the truth of why they were abandoned, she could have easily told her instead of letting her leave with such horrible parents, or whatnot. I'm assuming that the truth is bad here, and that her parents are lower than dog shit, but Hina doesn't remember them as such, and nor does Yukiji. Though I'll admit, Yukiji could be lying about it, and Hina's memories could be a tad jumbled up, but that would be... far fetched...

Well, whatever. We could debate more on this when the time comes.

By the way, the raws of 287 are out on LLHayate's blog. Just Google that to find them.
Old 2010-09-08, 13:34   Link #7107
jsgdarkmage
Simple Mage

Well....It looks like the comedy is back in HnG....
Personally, I loved the drama arcs of this series (specially Athena's), but the truth is that HnG is a comedy series in its nucleus...
I dont know why, but I think mikado will make appearence in this arc xD
jsgdarkmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-09, 04:42   Link #7108
Trans-Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rah View Post
Yo, zod. Haven't seen ya in ages. How ya doin'? =)

@Trans

Well, that's.... interesting?

I doubt that HnG could ever go in that direction. To be so Hina centered, or whatnot, and 'sides that, Hina doesn't seem as such a weak character for that even to happen.

Why would she leave everyone for her parents without them first explaining anything? Hina is one of the lifelines of HnG. Certainly a Hina centered arc could bring more popularity to it, but Hata did say that he hates overly dramatic things, though he did do that whole Athena thing.

Eh, it's all just so random...

There are far better choices she could have chosen instead of just leaping with her parents. And if Yukiji knew about the truth of why they were abandoned, she could have easily told her instead of letting her leave with such horrible parents, or whatnot. I'm assuming that the truth is bad here, and that her parents are lower than dog shit, but Hina doesn't remember them as such, and nor does Yukiji. Though I'll admit, Yukiji could be lying about it, and Hina's memories could be a tad jumbled up, but that would be... far fetched...

Well, whatever. We could debate more on this when the time comes.

By the way, the raws of 287 are out on LLHayate's blog. Just Google that to find them.
Meh, I didn't know that Hata didn't like overly dramatic stuff aside from the Athena's arc. I thought that Hina's birthday arc was also a bit dramatic, but that's just me.

I know that Hina isn't such a weak character, but from what we've seen from Hina's birthday arc, it is not to say that she isn't breakable. She is also weak when it comes to height, so maybe she might have a soft spot for her parents also.

Spoiler for also:

edit: I still don't see Hata ending the manga without introducing Hina's parents in more depth, neither without a follow-up or touch-up of Hayate's parents.

edit 2: If I remember correctly, and if I am not wrong here, I remember Hata saying something about how he had the idea of his manga to be originally centered around Hina. Don't know if that was true, and don't remember where I got the info/idea from also.

Last edited by Trans-Fat; 2010-09-09 at 05:01.
Trans-Fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-09, 06:43   Link #7109
madmac

Quote:
If I remember correctly, and if I am not wrong here, I remember Hata saying something about how he had the idea of his manga to be originally centered around Hina. Don't know if that was true, and don't remember where I got the info/idea from also.
You've got it backwards. Yukiji was the main character in a one-shot manga he created once, and he ended up putting both of them into this manga without changing their backstory because he does that kind of thing a lot. Yukiji and Hina have such a detailed backstory because he wrote it all up as part of a different manga and didn't want to let it go to waste.

Still, from what he said in Yukiji's profile, it seemed the emphasis was on Yukiji's efforts to pay off the debts and their eventual adoption, so I don't really think there will be a story about Hina's parents coming back. Hina's story is more about letting go of what happened in the past and being happy with what she has, anyway.

Last edited by madmac; 2010-09-09 at 07:19.
Old 2010-09-09, 11:30   Link #7110
Bastion_Arcion
*boot to the head*

Send a message via AIM to Bastion_Arcion Send a message via MSN to Bastion_Arcion
If anything happens in the future with Hina-tan and Yukiji's parents, I think it would involve their adopted parents as well, since (at least) Mr. Katsura knows them through having been Yukiji's teacher, and Mrs. Katsura would probably know them as well.

I also don't see Hina-tan ever willing to leave everyone behind. Miki and the rest of the trio helped her to grow into the strong individual we know her as, Hayate let her know that it's alright to love someone, and if nothing else, there's the school connection. I don't believe it's a simple solution for the student body president to suddenly vanish without causing an uproar, and she's also very popular, and she knows it.
She wouldn't be able to leave that all behind, even if she were forced into it somehow.

Would people quit throwing my faith in humanity being intelligent a shovel?
... Apparently there are now people in existence who are unable to use a shovel.

Programming today is a race between programmers trying to create better idiot-proof programs, and the world creating better idiots.
The world is winning.. by leaps and bounds.

Body Language and Intonation can convey large amounts of information with a single word.
Bastion_Arcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-09, 17:59   Link #7111
fukarming

Spoiler for ch 287:
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-09, 20:24   Link #7112
madmac

It's been out a while, I don't think you really need spoilers...

Nagi's "...Get...OUT." moment was my favorite part of the chapter.

Lots to speculate on with Yozoro there. Whatever she wants, Hayate evidently wasn't the target. She was prepared enough to bring the Gundam model but she seemed taken aback by how pissed off Nagi was. Whoever hired her doesn't know much about Nagi's crush, I don't think.

Also, she seemed to think Hayate was the biggest problem, so she's probably relentlessly hitting on him as a way of keeping him off guard or just distracting everyone from her real motive. There's at least 50/50 odds she'll end up falling for him anyway, though.
Old 2010-09-10, 02:24   Link #7113
Used Can

Is it me, or was Chiharu watching Occult Academy?
Old 2010-09-10, 03:58   Link #7114
Rah
Are you a lolicon? :3

No idea, UC. I skimmed through it real fast.

@Trans

I don't think she'd leave with her parents regardless of the situation. She isn't someone who'd just leave everything and everyone behind for her personal gain. She was with her real parents until the age of.... 4-6? Now she's 16, and she's been with her adopted parents for much longer. They've perfectly adapted to each other by now, and like bastion said, they'd also have a say in this. After all, Hina & Yukiji are now legitimate children of the Katsura household.

'Sides that, she wouldn't leave all of her duties and friends behind. I just don't see that, no matter how much you sugar coat it.

Anyways, that's that. I've got nothing else to add on the matter. Hata will probably do an arc involving Hina's real parents, and it might be surprisingly good and unexpected. Like, it's in the middle of some minor arc, and suddenly they appear and completely mess everything up.

We'll see... for now, it's all about Luca, Yozora, their new home, and a foreshadowed loss in a manga contest.

In the priest's situation, I'd go and stalk her around. She did mention many spiritual - like things, though if a ghost can go through other people's homes & walls, it shouldn't really be that troublesome to follow her, as long as he keeps his distance. Though, she might be able to set up some kind of barrier trap, or whatnot...

Hmm...

I wonder who's she working for.

It's either Mikado, Aika, Luca (might be friends), or some other Sanzen'in family member. Perhaps their motives are completely off. Maybe they're just interested in the house itself. Like some kind of thieves after buried treasure, or whatnot. It's way too early to say...
Old 2010-09-10, 15:03   Link #7115
JMvS
Rawrrr!

I'd say enough hints were given at the beginning of the arc for an urban redevelopment scheme.

The introducing color pages with the high rise.

Hayate commenting that the area is well located, and expressing surprise at all those old wooden houses.

Yukariko's and the cat's promise.
Old 2010-09-15, 09:40   Link #7116
Used Can

As for the latest chapter, nothing about Yozora. It was a Nagi-centric chapter. Nothing really happened, and I didn't find it particularly funny, but that's just me.
Old 2010-09-15, 10:40   Link #7117
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Is it me, or was Chiharu watching Occult Academy?
Yep, she was watching Occult Academy. The first two episodes of it was quite good, actually. I don't know what happened afterward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
As for the latest chapter, nothing about Yozora. It was a Nagi-centric chapter. Nothing really happened, and I didn't find it particularly funny, but that's just me.
I am with you, buddy. It feels like a giant advertisement of Jump Square and nothing else.
Old 2010-09-16, 01:22   Link #7118
zibi88

seriously lately the chapters are not that fun especially when its all about Nagi centric >___< last time with Hina and the coffe shop was fun to see..... even last chapter with the new girl was good to watch too...

but now again full nagi chapter <yawn...> nothing really happens... for me kinda nagi spreads the boredom.... when other girls are in it its more fun to watch

well currently the situation with Nagi is soooo clear that we can tell what will happen next..... as for next chapter I see that no one likes and understands that nagi's manga... nagi runs away with tears and gets depressed about her whole plan.... later she decides to draw doujin-style....here Luca appears as a rival to her... so nagis story will get the parts of her improveing her drawing skills to beat luca

so nagi's situation is kinda clear already so its not that interesting or funny...its kinda predictible on her case...... other thing is about other girls Hina, Athena, Nashizawa, Maria or even the new girl from past chapter.... we cant say what will happen with them and where it heads to...

kinda Nagi's whole chapter centric is (at least for me) boring.... I prefer other girls on the screen as they give more fun (like frustrated Hina... or clingy new girl...)

Last edited by zibi88; 2010-09-16 at 05:00.
zibi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 07:43   Link #7119
madmac

Eh, I like Nagi-centric chapters. And Hina has gotten especially tedious for me because nothing ever happens. Nagi at least gets a bit of character growth here and there and the stuff she does actually matters to the plot. Well, I 'll amend that a bit. I'm fine with serious Hina. "Zany love interest" Hina is really, really, tired.

Still, this was a bit of a story-grinding chapter rather then a zany one. I'm glad Ayumu came along too, I was worried she was going to get left out of this arc completely after her birthday.

Last edited by madmac; 2010-09-16 at 08:05.
Old 2010-09-16, 08:32   Link #7120
Mentar
Banned

I've got to say that I'm more on the "Nagi-centric chapters are boring" side, but with the Hina chapters, I fully agree with madmac. And that even though I am a rabid Hina shipper.

It's annoying me how Hata has been reducing her to a comedic sidekick lately. It's not really characteristic for her either - in the past, she has struggled with obstacles, but she overcame them, eventually. Like grappling with her own feelings until realizing the truth. Like fighting to apologize to Ayumu, until succeeding and becoming closer friends. Like her stepping back from confessing to save him and Athena.

Now, her inability to deal with her feelings is making her feel stagnant. Storywise, I understand why Hata can't let her act on her interest, but just leaving Hina to rot before the door she must not open is annoying. I'd rather have her drop it and become the usual take-charge savior of justice WITHOUT an interest in Hayate than more of the "at night in a cafe" chapters which only play on the misunderstandings.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen