Notices

Old 2007-08-01, 06:57   Link #61
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilveari View Post
E) None of the above

PS3 will win the RPG Console wars again.

As for handhelds, its up in the air since Square Enix is splitting the big names between both DS and PsP. Got the Star Ocean games on PSP, and FF games on DS? Among many others split between them.

Plus playing an RPg on the Wii would be horribly gay and annoying with the two remote thing...
WRONG. 360 will own so badly. Not speaking as a fan (per se), but as a realist. The 360 has Halo 3, which in and of itself will be enough to beat the PS3 and maybe even the Wii. It's supposed to be out September this year. From Beta versions, looks to be awesome. New gigantic laser weapon *squeeeee* Ahem. As I was saying, PS3 has a few good games, but aside from FF, it doesn't have much to offer at all, other than great graphics. I played Resistance: Fall of Man, and I hated it. Man did that game suck. Gave me headaches trying to get through it with my step-nephews. I'd wager to say that the graphics are better than the 360's.

Now the Wii may not be the best for graphics, but that's not really what its about. As with all Nitendo consoles, its about solid gameplay and a damn good time, especially if your into crazy and wacky party games like Warioware or Rayman. And then, of course, there's the Zelda franchise. Ah Zelda....
(By the way did you guys notice how Link's sideburns keep getting longer?)
Old 2007-08-01, 07:45   Link #62
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
WRONG. 360 will own so badly. Not speaking as a fan (per se), but as a realist. The 360 has Halo 3, which in and of itself will be enough to beat the PS3 and maybe even the Wii.
We're talking about Japanese RPGs here.

At any rate, an FPS can't be a game that beats them all. I don't like FPS, so I don't give a damn about Halo. I like jRPGs, that's why I prefer Japanese consoles. The Xbox is too geared towards the American average market.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-01, 10:45   Link #63
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
And the Tales games have traditionally been Nintendo which puts it on the Wii, with the remakes they are putting on DS.
Tales of is by Namco, not Square-Enix.
Quote:
And as far as Benoit goes... do some more roids Trollboi.
I'm not trolling. I'm pointing out that with the way you present your argument you're not going to convince people and/or sound credible.
Quote:
The 360 has Halo 3
*YAWN* Niche game.
Old 2007-08-01, 12:33   Link #64
j.hiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
It probably sold so well because it was the cheapest next gen console on the market, it would fit into everyone's budget... and it's Nintendo.
Certainly the price is part of the Wii success but the controller is also a part of why it's bringing in more of a variety of players than any other system before it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
Not a fanboy huh? I'm not even gonna ask how you came up with that conclusion over one game. If Halo was such a hot franchise why didn't it beat out the PS2? Because it's not... it's just another fps game, nothing special. (btw I enjoy fps, and after the first Halo I just thought the series was a little played out)
I've never really like FPS or Halo in general but to say Halo isn't a hot franchise for MS is being pretty uninformed. It is probably the biggest property that MS has and will move more 360 units when it's released. Although it'll probably still not make that large of a difference in Japan.
j.hiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-01, 15:48   Link #65
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
WRONG. 360 will own so badly. Not speaking as a fan (per se), but as a realist. The 360 has Halo 3, which in and of itself will be enough to beat the PS3 and maybe even the Wii. It's supposed to be out September this year. From Beta versions, looks to be awesome. New gigantic laser weapon *squeeeee* Ahem. As I was saying, PS3 has a few good games, but aside from FF, it doesn't have much to offer at all, other than great graphics. I played Resistance: Fall of Man, and I hated it. Man did that game suck. Gave me headaches trying to get through it with my step-nephews. I'd wager to say that the graphics are better than the 360's.

Now the Wii may not be the best for graphics, but that's not really what its about. As with all Nitendo consoles, its about solid gameplay and a damn good time, especially if your into crazy and wacky party games like Warioware or Rayman. And then, of course, there's the Zelda franchise. Ah Zelda....
(By the way did you guys notice how Link's sideburns keep getting longer?)
As mentioned, we're talking RPGs here, mainly Japanese RPGs.

Right now, as far as (upcoming) RPGs go, Xbox 360 is king. However as it sells like SHIT in Japan (actually shit may sell better), I'm not entirely sure if Japanese developers will keep developing new RPGs for it. It also kinda seems like Japanese RPG developers are pretty much forced to immediately localize and release their products outside of Japan, otherwise they'll never get their investment back due to the the Xbox360's pathetic market share in Japan.

So... if for some reason Xbox360 sales pick up in Japan or for some odd reason Japanese developers keep making RPGs for it, you might be right in your conclusion. But otherwise, you need to look at either Wii or PS3. Of course the Wii does best, but as I've stated again and again... where the RPGs?!? Out of the two, the PS3 probably has the most RPGs announced for it to date.

But all of this is a bit speculation still. While I suspect Japanese RPGs for Xbox360 to dry up and PS3 (and Wii) to pick up more, it yet has to be seen how things will go. Time will tell.

PS. Oh and put me in the camp that prefers RPGs over any other kind of genre, especially FPS. I prefer strategy over quick reactions.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-02, 05:47   Link #66
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

eh, I wouldnt put my cards in expecting microsoft to be the king of RPGs. that is probably the last system I would think to make it to the top.

even if Xbox fails in japan, it will still do fine here in the US. you just wont get any more RPGs heh.

I just dont see a PS3 ever taking hold until they get rid of that 600$ price tag, regardless if they had very good games or what not.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-02, 15:01   Link #67
Narumi
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety View Post
-Its highest selling titles in JPN are Blue Dragon and Trusty Bell which still only sold decently at best.
If you consider 190K in Japan for BD decent. Not that I'm arguing JRPG sales for the 360 will clean up other releases, but they do better than one would expect on a console on life support in Japan.

Quote:
I'm not saying nothing will come out for it but if you actually expect that genre of game to come out more than say...once every blue moon? Thats already going too far.
Actually, throughout 2008-2009, there is a steady stream of RPGs being released for the 360. You should take a look at them.

Quote:
Titles like DMC4/RE5 are slightly irrelevant since their previous incarnations always come out for PC as well. (Though with little fanfare) Given they're going to 360 as well how unlikely do you think they'll simply port it.
So what about titles like VF5, SC4, AC6, or Katamari? Formerly console focused franchises broadening their appeal, with no PC version in sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDPro
Right now, as far as (upcoming) RPGs go, Xbox 360 is king. However as it sells like SHIT in Japan (actually shit may sell better), I'm not entirely sure if Japanese developers will keep developing new RPGs for it. It also kinda seems like Japanese RPG developers are pretty much forced to immediately localize and release their products outside of Japan, otherwise they'll never get their investment back due to the the Xbox360's pathetic market share in Japan.
Except sales might not be all of the equation. Development costs and tools, along with economies of scale are probably more of a reason for smaller Japanese developers to work on the 360. Take Senko no Ronde, for example, or Guilty Gear 2: Overture, or Treasure's new shooter... titles like those could go on any system and sell roughly the same amount.
Old 2007-08-02, 15:23   Link #68
XileXKing

Send a message via AIM to XileXKing
The wii would probably release many more anime rpg since Nintendo has been releasing tons more than the 360 in the past. Also the 360 are mainly for war games and such.
XileXKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-02, 15:24   Link #69
Kazidoom

"The 360 has Halo 3"

Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

"*YAWN* Niche game."

I lol'd. Especially when I remembered that Halo already has over 4 million preorders.
Kazidoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-02, 15:30   Link #70
j.hiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
There are quite a few jRPGs currently being developed for 360 and I'm sure more will be coming. Why? Because MS knows that they need this support for the future. No one, not even MS, thought that 360 will be a huge resounding success in Japan so what they are doing is giving studios like Mistwalker financial support to continue making games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
So... if for some reason Xbox360 sales pick up in Japan or for some odd reason Japanese developers keep making RPGs for it, you might be right in your conclusion. But otherwise, you need to look at either Wii or PS3. Of course the Wii does best, but as I've stated again and again... where the RPGs?!? Out of the two, the PS3 probably has the most RPGs announced for it to date.
Do you have a list or something of all the RPGs that have been announced for the PS3? As far as I know there have not been that many that have been announced for it. Not saying your wrong but I'd love to have some factual information in regards to this.
j.hiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-02, 20:07   Link #71
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazidoom View Post
"The 360 has Halo 3"

Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

"*YAWN* Niche game."

I lol'd. Especially when I remembered that Halo already has over 4 million preorders.
I agree. Niche game or no, don't underestimate Halo. You will end up looking foolish in the end. Yawn all you want. Your loss on a great title. Just remember, it's a niche game FOR A REASON. Don't bash a game that you probably haven't played. And the US market is, in itself, probably enough to make Halo 3 a huge success, however you look at it. And as potatochobit mentioned, 4 million preordered copies of the game... I mean, damn. That's no small number there.

And anime RPGs or no, you simply can't talk about "which console is better" without taking into account ALL the titles the systems offers. To put it plainly, that's just stupid. It kinda renders the entire concept of the thread pointless.

[poor_analogy]It's like talking about pizza, but only about the sauce... It has other toppings, so to speak.[/poor_analogy]
Old 2007-08-02, 20:32   Link #72
hipeach

XBOX360 for Western RPGs, Wii for Japanese RPGs, and I guess you mean Japanese RPGs by "anime RPGs", so it's Wii.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
No, it's because Square-Enix (maker of the FF franchise) is the biggest badass around when it comes to jRPGs, and if they're on the PS3, the PS3 basically won the "jRPG war".
Square-Enix is not and will not be on just a single platform, and in terms of Japanese RPGs, Nintendo has their own Zelda series, which will be on only their own platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilveari View Post
XBox 360 will try, but it wont win the RPG market. Simply because of history. Argueably, the japanese market tends to set the tone for RPG's, and while the xbox360 is doing decently, it still doesnt have enough market in Japan.
I think you are exaggerating the influence of Japanese RPGs, no one can set the tone for RPGs. Western RPGs like KOTOR, Oblivion, Fable, etc. are quite strong, and there will be Bioshock, Mass Effect, Fable 2, Fallout 3, etc. coming out. If we consider the evolution of Final Fantasy 11 and 12, they are actually getting influenced with the tone of Western RPGs.
hipeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-02, 20:47   Link #73
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Square-Enix is not and will not be on just a single platform
Of course, it's also on the NDS... but their main battle tank will be the PS3, just like before with the GBA and the PS2

Quote:
, and in terms of Japanese RPGs, Nintendo has their own Zelda series, which will be on only their own platform
[sarcasm]

Yeah, because Zelda has always been a serious, full fledged RPG, just as Squaresoft's classic titles have been.

[/sarcasm]

Seriously, Zelda has RPG elements, but deep inside, I see it as an action/adventure game of the sorts.

Quote:
I think you are exaggerating the influence of Japanese RPGs, no one can set the tone for RPGs. Western RPGs like KOTOR, Oblivion, Fable, etc. are quite strong, and there will be Bioshock, Mass Effect, Fable 2, Fallout 3, etc. coming out. If we consider the evolution of Final Fantasy 11 and 12, they are actually getting influenced with the tone of Western RPGs.
What exactly do you call "influence"? If you call "influence" the appearance and system implementations, it could be argued. But, in my view, there's one single thing Western RPGs have never been able to do (and I doubt they ever will), which is the feel. Whenever I finish a Japanese RPG, even if it is only mildly good, there always remains a certain feeling, a certain sensation of sympathy with the characters and with the storyline that none of the Western RPGs I played have ever provided. The one I liked the most, KOTOR, while it certainly was pleasing to beat, could never get anywhere near the feeling that beating a game like, for example, Final Fantasy V, got from me.

The two basic models are very very different: Western RPGs try to be all about traditional tabletop roleplay--something that, if you ask me, it's impossible to do with a computer. Japanese RPGs, on the other hand, are more like a long movie or a novel. Both models suit different players (different folks, different strokes). The Japanese gaming model suits ME. And until now, I haven't found a single Western RPG that could deliver the same effect on me.

It's not that I dislike Western RPGs. I enjoyed very much KOTOR, Neverwinter Nights and Morrowind (and I hated many others, like the Fable you mention there). But, on a personal feeling (the only way I can ever judge something), Japanese RPGs give me many times more joy.

Old 2007-08-02, 21:11   Link #74
hipeach

Quote:
[sarcasm]

Yeah, because Zelda has always been a serious, full fledged RPG, just as Squaresoft's classic titles have been.

[/sarcasm]

Seriously, Zelda has RPG elements, but deep inside, I see it as an action/adventure game of the sorts.
It depends on what do you call RPG elements. Japanese RPGs are far different from Western RPGs that predate them, games like DQ and FF have much less "RPG elements" than Western RPGs so to say. Zelda is widely considered to be one of the first Japanese RPGs, as much "classical" as DQ and FF, and the Mana series from Square are considered RPGs too, so yes Zelda is an "anime RPG".

Quote:
What exactly do you call "influence"? If you call "influence" the appearance and system implementations, it could be argued. But, in my view, there's one single thing Western RPGs have never been able to do (and I doubt they ever will), which is the feel. Whenever I finish a Japanese RPG, even if it is only mildly good, there always remains a certain feeling, a certain sensation of sympathy with the characters and with the storyline that none of the Western RPGs I played have ever provided. The one I liked the most, KOTOR, while it certainly was pleasing to beat, could never get anywhere near the feeling that beating a game like, for example, Final Fantasy V, got from me.

The two basic models are very very different: Western RPGs try to be all about traditional tabletop roleplay--something that, if you ask me, it's impossible to do with a computer. Japanese RPGs, on the other hand, are more like a long movie or a novel. Both models suit different players (different folks, different strokes). The Japanese gaming model suits ME. And until now, I haven't found a single Western RPG that could deliver the same effect on me.

It's not that I dislike Western RPGs. I enjoyed very much KOTOR, Neverwinter Nights and Morrowind (and I hated many others, like the Fable you mention there). But, on a personal feeling (the only way I can ever judge something), Japanese RPGs give me many times more joy.
"the feel" is a very subjective thing, so I think it's impossible to use the "feeling" as an objective standard to judge the games. For me, I got more "feeling" when beating a game like Deus Ex and KOTOR than FF12. Also personally I think RPGs are not suited for a "movie experience", adventure games like the Longest Journey gives much better movie experience for me.
hipeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-02, 21:49   Link #75
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I agree. Niche game or no, don't underestimate Halo. You will end up looking foolish in the end. Yawn all you want. Your loss on a great title. Just remember, it's a niche game FOR A REASON. Don't bash a game that you probably haven't played. And the US market is, in itself, probably enough to make Halo 3 a huge success, however you look at it. And as potatochobit mentioned, 4 million preordered copies of the game... I mean, damn. That's no small number there.

And anime RPGs or no, you simply can't talk about "which console is better" without taking into account ALL the titles the systems offers. To put it plainly, that's just stupid. It kinda renders the entire concept of the thread pointless.

[poor_analogy]It's like talking about pizza, but only about the sauce... It has other toppings, so to speak.[/poor_analogy]
You're in a thread specifically about jRPGs, not which is the best console. Halo is not a system seller in Japan, which is the primary market that developers look at when making a jRPG (remember what the j stands for). Who cares how many copies Halo sells. It does not mean a single guaranteed best seller for a jRPG, especially since the market for Halo and the market for jRPG don't have much intersection.

When looking at the jRPG market, you have to look at two titles, Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. Dragon Quest no longer matters (for traditional consoles) as it is moving on to the DS, so that leaves FF on the PS3. Square Enix is pretty much committed to gambling FFXIII on the PS3 because it is the only system right now that makes sense. The Wii is in all likelihood not powerful enough, and the 360 does not have a large enough installed base and current trends do not indicate that it will. You can bet that other jRPG makers have it in the back of their head that FFXIII will be out on the PS3 and are thinking about how much they can piggy back off of the sales generated by it (intersecting target markets). In all honesty, my opinion is that the safe bet is the Wii; Japanese-friendly with a solid installed base. You just can't rule out the trump card that is Final Fantasy though.
Old 2007-08-02, 22:23   Link #76
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
"the feel" is a very subjective thing, so I think it's impossible to use the "feeling" as an objective standard to judge the games.
That's why I think it's pointless to try to judge games of different genres objectively. Comparing Western RPGs to Japanese RPGs is making an apples to oranges comparison--there's not a single rule that can be used to say Final Fantasy VII is better than KOTOR, because the standards aren't the same--they're two different genres altogether. The very fact that we need to make a difference should be enough.

What were we arguing about, anyways? I said that Japanese RPGs weren't being as much "influenced" by their Western counterparts as you saw them, because like I said, the idea of a jRPG is to tell a story, while the basic idea of a Western RPG seems to be crafting a personal, customized character. That hasn't changed, and the way I see it, it won't change for a long, long time, at least in the Japanese scene.

Quote:
It depends on what do you call RPG elements. Japanese RPGs are far different from Western RPGs that predate them, games like DQ and FF have much less "RPG elements" than Western RPGs so to say. Zelda is widely considered to be one of the first Japanese RPGs, as much "classical" as DQ and FF, and the Mana series from Square are considered RPGs too, so yes Zelda is an "anime RPG".
IMO it lacked a solid enough storyline to make a breakthrough on me. Sure, "save the princess"-template storylines were good by the time Final Fantasy I came about, but moving ahead in time, you need to innovate, or at least, make the storyline a bit more serious. Every Zelda game I played (I didn't play them all, I admit it) had the same basic premise (and the same main character, which is probably what mostly bothers me). The Seiken Densetsu series, which you mention there, innovated a lot, specially in Seiken Densetsu 3 (the different parties/different classes system) and Seiken Densetsu 4 (Legend of Mana in the States, IMO the most original RPG I've ever played).

Old 2007-08-02, 23:38   Link #77
Busaiku Chama
爆発

Quote:
Of course, it's also on the NDS... but their main battle tank will be the PS3, just like before with the GBA and the PS2
Yeah, I'm not understanding the reasoning behind this.
You cite the DS, GBA, and PS2 the clear market leaders of their generations, yet you think the PS3 will get more than the Wii?
Old 2007-08-03, 00:25   Link #78
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

actually, people in japan still buy an xbox for halo or dead or alive, just like here in the US :x

or was there another xbox game u think sells better in japan?

namco, square and atlus will most likely support the PS3. therefore, by default, they already have the edge on the Wii in regards to RPGs.

Im not sure how old you are but you have to go back to the N64 days to realize this. how many RPGs did you see on N64? exactly. to make matters worse, namco is now owned by bandai.

so unless you thought final fantasy chronicles on the gamecube was a great game, I wouldnt expect too much. Who knows though, maybe the huge popularity of the Wii will win them over. BTW, square's latest RPG released is FFxII international, and it wasn't on the Wii.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-03, 00:45   Link #79
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
You cite the DS, GBA, and PS2 the clear market leaders of their generations, yet you think the PS3 will get more than the Wii?
No, I was replying to a post that said "Square Enix is not only on PS2". SE has released platform-only games for the GBA in the PS2 time, and some for the NDS in the past years. When the PS3 comes out, the PS3 will take the place of the PS2 (as the main battle tank) and the NDS, the place of the GBA (as the "backup" or not-so-important console system).

Besides, think this way: The Wii will lack graphics. A lot. If they want next-gen graphics, they'll do PS3. It's a simple equation.

Quote:
Im not sure how old you are but you have to go back to the N64 days to realize this. how many RPGs did you see on N64? exactly. to make matters worse, namco is now owned by bandai.
Exactly! I can't name a single N64 RPG (many will say Zelda, but I highly doubt it), yet I can spend all night naming games for the PSX. I can't say of any RPG for the Gamecube, but I can talk all day about the PS2. I'm sure this patter will repeat itself again.

Old 2007-08-03, 00:51   Link #80
Narumi
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
or was there another xbox game u think sells better in japan?
Maybe not for the xbox, but for the 360, Blue Dragon is the current leader, with Lost Odyssey probably next in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
namco, square and atlus will most likely support the PS3. therefore, by default, they already have the edge on the Wii in regards to RPGs.
Namco is pretty multiplatform this generation, with Ace Combat, Soul Calibur and Katamari going around. And where as the PSP and DS/Wii get Tales, the 360 got Trusty Bell. Square is only behind the PS3 with FF, and Atlus...

Quote:
I can't say of any RPG for the Gamecube, but I can talk all day about the PS2. I'm sure this patter will repeat itself again.
Fire Emblem, Baten Kaitos, made by Tri-Crescendo the developers of Trusty Bell.