AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2014-07-16, 16:11   Link #5081
The Green One

Chapter 130 leaks have appeared, it looks like the Usuzan flash back is continuing.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-16, 18:40   Link #5082
King-Slayer

and if they are to be believed : a surprise appearance by Ichigo Sasano and Teru.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-16, 18:45   Link #5083
Fragment off
Reader or Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Chapter 130 leaks have appeared, it looks like the Usuzan flash back is continuing.
A school from the north with a 2+chapter flashback around the vice-captain game which is not only about the character who will play but also about how the club came into being.

Am I the only on with a deja-vu? ( Tsuruga, Miyamori, Shindouji in some way) I think we all know how that will end .
Old 2014-07-18, 18:42   Link #5084
Peanutbutter

They were looking at a magazine that talks about high school mahjong players.

Ryuuka is in in too.

So much talk about the chest attracting popularity, classifying them as an idol.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-18, 19:28   Link #5085
Requiem-x
The slacking one

This chapter was interesting. Very interesting... in many ways. Honestly, I think there's a lot to talk and get from this.

Spoiler for Spoiler:

So, the next match is not one of mahjong, it's literally and honest to god, one of oppai. I'd make a comment, but I'll let that to someone who watches both Saki and Highschool DxD.

And yeah, these girls are not making it, they don't even need to in order to fulfill their mission, also, sending Naruka against Teru would be nothing short of premeditated homicide.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-18, 19:58   Link #5086
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I was honestly rather bored with the chapter. Up to now back chapters have been to invest the reader in some way in the character or team. To be honest I was much more moved seeing the third player shed a few tears of pain and frustration after her match ended. This, however, just is not working for me. It is okay info, I guess, but somehow the overall effect leaves a stale aftertaste. A pity too, it feels somehow rushed and sloppily handled, like it could have been better. Almost as if...the mangaka is tired?

I wonder if the mangaka has spread herself too thin or has too much on her plate? (Or has had too much placed on her plate?) We used to groan at the long breaks, but even though they were long the chapters that came in between stayed pretty good consistently. As frustrating as it might be for the readers, if Ritz's pace is difficult for her at the moment maybe a break would be helpful? Ah well. Maybe just impractical speculation on my part.
Old 2014-07-18, 20:49   Link #5087
Peanutbutter

For that, I think Ritz is doing the best he/she can.

The main problem is the theme of this series, which is mahjong. Since you need 4 people to play a game, you need to have 4 different characters. Multiply that by the number of teams and it's really one big cast.

My previous and only sports series is Slam Dunk. The cast is also huge, but everyone has their moments.

Also, with regards to mahjong plays, although there's nearly infinite of them, it's very difficult to come up with one that can integrate fully with the characters. Think how hard it was to come up with Saki's +-0 play in her round 2 in the nationals. At the same time, the drama and readers attention got to be diverted to the other characters, who will be using their own abilities too.

Just my 2 cents.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-18, 20:53   Link #5088
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
No worries, and no complaints. I did not want to accuse her of slacking off per se, moreso was thinking she might be stretched thin. In other words, a factor possibly contributing to something not directly related to a conscious choice on her part.

But perhaps I was too quick on the draw here?

You are quite right to remind me to have more faith in the author of the series so many of us enjoy and have enjoyed for so long.
Old 2014-07-18, 23:29   Link #5089
The Green One

Kind of a slow chapter, but Usuzan did need their backstory. I suppose my apathy to the chapter is that Usuzan hasn't done anything that made them interesting to me yet, they've just been the match's collective punching bag so far which to be brutally honest is boring.

I'm hoping their last two players will redeem them for me, and I'm sure they'll manage to at least be interesting. Ritz has managed to do two weekers for a little while now, I wouldn't begrudge her a break this time.
Old 2014-07-19, 00:31   Link #5090
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I guess Usuzan being a punching bag is in part to assuage the fact that Side B is stacked with strong schools all over the place while Achiga got the easy bracket.

Other than that it's pretty sad that people forget that Chikako actually had a pretty decent run.

Last edited by Proto; 2014-07-19 at 20:00.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-19, 17:46   Link #5091
King-Slayer

Usuzan really is funny and I enjoy that immensely. I also thought seeing Maya transform and Yuan with her hair down was very cute. Chikako having her moments in the chapter were really fun as well.
Old 2014-07-23, 17:35   Link #5092
The Green One

Shinohayu leaks are starting to appear, it looks like Hayari's story is continuing, at the time of this post there were only a couple of pictures and I was able to discern anything specific.
Old 2014-07-28, 18:44   Link #5093
King-Slayer

Chapter is out. I think Hayari's momma is the best in the series and I just love her. Mafuka is probably going to die as I suspected.
Old 2014-07-28, 18:56   Link #5094
The Green One

I'd be sad for Mafuka to die, but her death would be a catalyst that will profoundly shape Hayari. Also if I'm not mistaken on page 8 Shino and her mom make a cameo.
Old 2014-07-28, 18:59   Link #5095
King-Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
I'd be sad for Mafuka to die, but her death would be a catalyst that will profoundly shape Hayari. Also if I'm not mistaken on page 8 Shino and her mom make a cameo.
Technically its pg 10 since the double pages and all. But you are correct. I kinda thought that might be Shino but I forgot that'd be her mom.
Old 2014-07-28, 21:14   Link #5096
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by King-Slayer View Post
Technically its pg 10 since the double pages and all. But you are correct. I kinda thought that might be Shino but I forgot that'd be her mom.
Who else could it be?

Anyway, it looked like a slow chapter until that last page. Hayari is going through a really rough ride.
Old 2014-07-30, 19:19   Link #5097
King-Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
Who else could it be?

Anyway, it looked like a slow chapter until that last page. Hayari is going through a really rough ride.
dunno. that's why I wasn't 100% sure it was Shino either.
Old 2014-08-12, 16:02   Link #5098
King-Slayer

Can't believe nobody has talked about the translated BD book. Anyhow most of the stories were pretty sweet. I think I enjoyed the Achiga one best because of them wanting to do something nice for Kuro. Bath chapter and the Ritz chapters were also pretty great.
Old 2014-08-12, 16:48   Link #5099
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by King-Slayer View Post
Can't believe nobody has talked about the translated BD book. Anyhow most of the stories were pretty sweet. I think I enjoyed the Achiga one best because of them wanting to do something nice for Kuro. Bath chapter and the Ritz chapters were also pretty great.
That might have something to do with me posting the raws a while ago, and them being pretty self-explanatory.

Yes, as I said back then, Kuro is easily the best developed character in Achiga, the most relatable, and it's nice to see the others being good friends for her.
Old 2014-08-16, 15:37   Link #5100
Nihilanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
That might have something to do with me posting the raws a while ago, and them being pretty self-explanatory.

Yes, as I said back then, Kuro is easily the best developed character in Achiga, the most relatable, and it's nice to see the others being good friends for her.
I also like Kuro, although Yuu's probably my favorite of the Achiga girls. Participating in mahjong helps her come out of her shell, and it's touching seeing her going so far to reclaim points when her sister loses them and feels terrible about it.

One thing I like about Kuro is how she's close with the other members of the mahjong club; Shizuno and Ako (as well as Nodoka) are her friends from Harue's mahjong club, Arata is a classmate, and Yuu is her sister. It's touching to see all those friends get together and give her something for her birthday.

As such, I'd be interested in seeing the BD manga in English.
Nihilanth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri