AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-03-24, 12:34   Link #1241
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
it feels that some others aren't putting so much "effort" and are simply labeling the entire thing as being flat/boring/crap etc.
Well, you know, this is par for the course for the most part. I mean, look at opinions for other big name shows that have recently ended. (Errr... including your own? ) People who don't like a show tend to say that it's flat/boring/crap/a waste of time, even if they might have been able to appreciate it better if they looked at it in a different way. So yeah, it's annoying, but I think we see this sort of thing all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Theres a fine line between openeded, and lack of direction and at times it feels like whoever is walking the damn rope is really just barely balancing. [...] I just feel that if touya turned out to be a schizo, or the director was a schizo i could probably watch the show with more easy.
I don't really have a good answer to your question, but I just wanted to point out the "symmetry" or balance in your own opinion. Could it be that keeping the viewers on this "tight rope" is exactly what the director intended?
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-24, 12:56   Link #1242
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
>_< You already have too many waifus. Claim denied! She's already mine~Fuhihi
Lies! I only have 2......

Quote:
Loli is not the age, but appearance.
Well said. Petite does not exist in anime/manga, LOLI DOES!!

On a serious note, I think that Yayoi and Haruka are desperate for some real love, and Yayoi, being older, exemplifies love in a physical form (i.e sex). Haruka just yearns to have an older person to look up to and love, so I guess Haruka and her brother's relationship might be really intimate that is looks like a BGR, but certainly not crossing the line into incest.

Misaki is a pretty normal case, just someone who eventually falls in love with another for helping her out. But she herself does not realise these feelings, but she goes by her instincts.

What Mana really wants is a companionship, being the only child and her mother constantly working her ass off to spend some quality time with her. But being a girl, she begins to have a love attraction towards Touya, thus culminating into her almost kissing a sleeping Touya back in Ep 9 or 10. Of course, being the tsundere she is, she keeps herself in denial and response to her feelings of love towards Touya.

That is what I can see. Feel free to debate it.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-24, 13:03   Link #1243
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I agree with the "fine line" comment, but I find the tightrope walk involving and enjoyable. I'm not sure the authors are in complete control of their material, but I'm still happy with the ride.

Perhaps that's because I find those moments you describe as "pure crap" to be among the best moments in the show. Things don't have to be exactly realistic to be emotionally true.
@ Relentlessflame Too

Thats all and fine, but to some point there has to be direction, or else this is just an amalgamation of random events smacked together. As long as at the end of the series, it makes sense that the show is approaching some overall theme or some over arching concept I can look at this show with high appeal, but at this very moment, I just feel like not enough of the vision is revealed and giving credit at this point serves as nothing but a shallow attempt to string up all these events. Again I think its safe to say that reserving judgement till the end of the series probably will be the best for this series, though sometimes I feel like I want some guidance and not am not left all alone to fend for myself. Don't get me wrong I just want to know or at least get some assurance that the director has a vision for the show and is implementing it.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-24, 13:20   Link #1244
prototype_sky

Touya has shed more tears than all the girls combined thus far
I wonder if the writers did that so that he doesn't come off as a cheating bastard with no remorse.
prototype_sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-24, 13:33   Link #1245
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
AKira needs a hug from mommy suck it up lifes not fair your tears only make me feel sorry for anyone who has to be around. Hes the black vortex or emo who just sucks away your happiness if you get to close. He needs to way in on whats wrong with him and acknowledge that hes a coward and could not even confess to the girl for 5 years thats not Touyas problem that his problem. Fake stabbing with a prop knife WTF this is not single white female.
I don't have anything else to comment about besides my favorite pet project. Misaki is taking her punishment like a trooper. She needs to cut all ties with Touya is she is really honest about making it work, which is doubtful.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-24, 14:44   Link #1246
Mentar
Banned

Well, but compared to other "big name shows" dissed by the audience (there ALWAYS are people like this), I'd say that White Album has the most tenacious detractors ever. The same people writing again and again and again and again and again and again how terrible/cliche/illogical/detestable/blaah blah blah it all is.

I mean, usually what I know from other shows is that one day they pack their bags, stop watching and fade away. Not so here

Just feel like pointing it out.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-24, 14:55   Link #1247
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Well, but compared to other "big name shows" dissed by the audience (there ALWAYS are people like this), I'd say that White Album has the most tenacious detractors ever. The same people writing again and again and again and again and again and again how terrible/cliche/illogical/detestable/blaah blah blah it all is.

I mean, usually what I know from other shows is that one day they pack their bags, stop watching and fade away. Not so here

people really should stop watching anime if they are going to complain about shows being "terrible/cliche/illogical/detestable" etc. I am enjoying this show because it doesn't make me root for any of the couples to succeed but actually make me root for the couples to fail which is a welcome change.
Old 2009-03-24, 17:34   Link #1248
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
Just out of curiosity, care to explain that ? The only one that's made any attempt to change has been Misaki, and that really only looks like a surface change. Yayoi is still "helping" Yuki, and has been for quite a few episodes now. Touya is still trying to keep his relationship with Yuki intact, he was even discussing it with Yayoi while he was fooling around with her. Rina's stance hasn't changed since her introduction except that now she's pretty pissed at Touya rather than being friendly.
One example is that Touya is now keeping a distance between him and Yuki because he believes he is getting in the way of her dreams and success of being an idol.
Quote:
Loli is not the age, but appearance.
But Mana doesn't look like a loli. Just younger than the other characters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype_sky View Post
Touya has shed more tears than all the girls combined thus far
I wonder if the writers did that so that he doesn't come off as a cheating bastard with no remorse.
Well, you gotta give him credit for feeling. Its not like in School Days.

Quote:

Yeah. If its so bad then why do people still watch it?
Old 2009-03-24, 18:23   Link #1249
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
But Mana doesn't look like a loli. Just younger than the other characters.
I guess that depends on the person looking perhaps? There are people that see her as a loli, and some that don't. Though I do know that no one can deny that she was completely some elementary schooler during that exercise scene with Haruka...

Quote:
Well, you gotta give him credit for feeling. Its not like in School Days.
Well, the anime's version of School Day's protagonist was... well... that...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-24, 20:55   Link #1250
Zippicus

Quote:
One example is that Touya is now keeping a distance between him and Yuki because he believes he is getting in the way of her dreams and success of being an idol.
... lol, we just had this big circular discussion and you illustrated the point I was trying to make in the first place. Excuse me while I go find a wall to bang my head against
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-24, 21:31   Link #1251
golthin

Quote:
... lol, we just had this big circular discussion and you illustrated the point I was trying to make in the first place. Excuse me while I go find a wall to bang my head against
yeah, people keep going around and around about this. that is why I don't go too much in detail about the Touya and Yuki thing. the final thing is that everyone is trying to be noble and un-selfish and sacrificing their desire for other people and everyone is going to end very hurt. Yayoi , Haruka and the loli won't get as hurt as Yuki, Touya, rina, and Misaki. I don't include Akira because he is not acting in an un-selfish and self-sacrificing manner at all.
Old 2009-03-25, 04:59   Link #1252
Gohan78
Awakened One

Quote:

I was actually on the verge of dropping the series after episode 8.
I sticked with it because there were only 5 episodes left (at least for the first season; depending on the ending I will decide whether to follow the second season) and also because I'm still hoping that Touya will get his just deserts.
I don't think they will pull another School Days, but I hope that at least he gets emotionally hurt and humiliated. He doesn't deserve anything better.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 06:16   Link #1253
prototype_sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
I was actually on the verge of dropping the series after episode 8.
I sticked with it because there were only 5 episodes left (at least for the first season; depending on the ending I will decide whether to follow the second season) and also because I'm still hoping that Touya will get his just deserts.
I don't think they will pull another School Days, but I hope that at least he gets emotionally hurt and humiliated. He doesn't deserve anything better.
Hasn't he been punished several times already
1) Can't see/talk to the girl friend Yuki and got blue balled by her as well
2) Did all that free labor only to get rejected by Misaki
3) Scorned by Akira becuase of Misaki
4) Fired by Yayoi, Rina and probably Masters even Mana was close to firing him
5) Technically used and dumped by Rina, Yuki and Misaki
6) Sucker punched by Master
prototype_sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 06:23   Link #1254
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Zippicus, I love you.

Now here is a wall for you to bang against (heart in the wall parody from Suzumiya Haruhi-Chan).

Meanwhile I think Mana made a good choice of helping out Touya. He probably won't be able to take it if Yuki really breaks with him.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 07:32   Link #1255
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
So you already talked about it all? You should have said so, especially since you were pushing the fact that the goals didn't change.
Old 2009-03-25, 07:39   Link #1256
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:

....you do realize that you are just asking for certain people to jump in, rehash the tired old gripe about how it's so much worse at the Gun*** ##/ Code G**** forums, and proceed to launch into a rant-filled tirade about those who contribute to such a state of affairs with this statement you just made here, right?

Seriously, I've thought for a while til now that Newton's Third Law doesn't just apply to physical motion, and in fact should be a sociological concept as well. Make of that what you will.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 08:06   Link #1257
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
....you do realize that you are just asking for certain people to jump in, rehash the tired old gripe about how it's so much worse at the Gun*** ##/ Code G**** forums, and proceed to launch into a rant-filled tirade about those who contribute to such a state of affairs with this statement you just made here, right?

Seriously, I've thought for a while til now that Newton's Third Law doesn't just apply to physical motion, and in fact should be a sociological concept as well. Make of that what you will.
Er... whaaaaaa? ^.^ *innocent whistling*

I'm halfway serious though, which is why I wrote the note. As much as people get to hate the characters or even the show, it proves strangely addictive, doesn't it?
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 08:29   Link #1258
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Er... whaaaaaa? ^.^ *innocent whistling*

I'm halfway serious though, which is why I wrote the note. As much as people get to hate the characters or even the show, it proves strangely addictive, doesn't it?
I'll expound more on the certain people, but I don't really feel like putting in more effort only to end up getting a negrep or an infraction, so suffice it to say that you'll know immediately which certain people I'm talking about if they do make an appearance.

And well, I dunno about that; I've actually fallen behind on this since it's the first thing I dropped when my workload got heavier recently. But I guess for quite a few people (including myself), White Album is the very definition of a trainwreck; so horrible, you just can't look away.

Not going to get into an argument with you on whether or not it is though, I don't have the time for that. Just saying that's how it is for some.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 18:28   Link #1259
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Not going to get into an argument with you on whether or not it is though, I don't have the time for that. Just saying that's how it is for some.
I do agree its a train wreck in many aspects mainly the characters since at least for me its hard to care about any of them except for many Rina. But iv found a comfortable balance with WA by focusing or breaking the characters down and seeing what makes them tick and why they do the things they do so that has kept me in the game. Its also fun just destroying them when necessary lol
Old 2009-03-25, 22:16   Link #1260
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
I do agree its a train wreck in many aspects mainly the characters since at least for me its hard to care about any of them except for many Rina. But iv found a comfortable balance with WA by focusing or breaking the characters down and seeing what makes them tick and why they do the things they do so that has kept me in the game. Its also fun just destroying them when necessary lol
Sinestra, your reaction to this series strikes me as the funniest. It is like you truly want to like this series, so you are trying to warp the way you see it till you find it even the slightest bit interesting.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, eroge, romance, seinen