AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st - rating
Perfect 10 61 43.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 30.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 8.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 12.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.44%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.72%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.72%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-04, 23:25   Link #1741
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Well, that's mostly what I thought, although I'm probably a little more lenient with my scoring system, so 7/10 is my staple rating for the better than average, but nothing special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_wing
Then the last part is really good, because there was a really strong build up. I find the first season to have the most satisfying conclusion compared the other two, but I know I'm in the minority here.
I wonder if you're in the minority. StrikerS clearly did not have a good climax, with their "lets have a mach battle," and then the series simply ends. As for A's, the ending was perhaps it's only flaw. And while the very end was conclusive, it was just a small scene of them grown up. *braces for impact* The first season however, was conclusive, and very touching. The entire buildup of the series, was all done for that very scene. Couldn't have been done better, imo.
Old 2010-05-05, 03:45   Link #1742
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

There's a difference between climax and epilogue, like how S1's climax was the defeating Precia with the bridge scene as epilogue, the StrikerS climax was the various battles ending with the destruction of the Cradle. The last episode with the disbanding of RF6 and the final mock battle was the epilogue.
Old 2010-05-05, 04:13   Link #1743
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Eh, well just wrong wording on my part, though tbh, not sure if Archon_wing was referring to Fate's final lines before Precia fell into the abyss, or the bridge scene. I'm assuming he means both.
Old 2010-05-05, 10:10   Link #1744
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Partly I'm willing to give the first season some slack, and especially the first episodes, since the series was new and trying to find its feet. And also, I kinda see it as paying homage to its magical girl roots, before it starts going off in a different direction.

With the series so far along now, I expect better. StrikerS seemed to start a bit slow, although on rewatch it's not too bad; still, I would have moved up the action a bit more, probably. I really liked the ending of it.

And I expected much better from a movie, for reasons I've gone into before. But like I said, I understand the money-making aspect; make something for cheap to rake in the cash. Most series and universes go through this eventually. And at least I have Force and fanfiction, heh.
Old 2010-05-05, 10:16   Link #1745
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
I suppose I'll wait for the HQ with subs to be released, then try watching it again. The quality of the camrip might have ruined my interest in watching it, on top of the predictability of the plot.
Old 2010-05-05, 13:04   Link #1746
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Eh, well just wrong wording on my part, though tbh, not sure if Archon_wing was referring to Fate's final lines before Precia fell into the abyss, or the bridge scene. I'm assuming he means both.
Yea, I guess. As in, "What was the point of all this?" "Ah that"

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-05-05, 18:07   Link #1747
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Yea, I guess. As in, "What was the point of all this?" "Ah that"
Ah, that's what I figured.

In any case, I feel the movie won't disappoint you. When you watch it, that is.
Old 2010-05-05, 20:22   Link #1748
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Ah, I watched it. I've seen the first season more than once so fortunately the lack of subs wasn't too in the way...

Spoiler for wall 'o text review:

Overall, I'd say somewhere between a 7 or an 8, rounded to 8 for the purpose of the poll. It's main weakness is of course that it's basically the same story and the new content added in could have been paced better, but it was still a good watch and I was never bored which I can't say the same for the series. If you couldn't sit through the first few episodes of the first season and want to be introduced to the Nanohaverse, the movie is a viable alternative; chances are for those that didn't like the first few episodes wouldn't really miss anything that's gone from this movie. In most cases, I could tolerate the missing parts because of the nature of the movie format. and that more was gained overall. So it's certainly not as all around as the series, but it does the job as a "better", prettier, and more streamlined version of the first season.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-05-05, 20:55   Link #1749
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

What is this I see? An objective review in the AS-Nano movie thread?

Just going to comment on one thing -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_wing
The final battle with Fate was kind of a mixed bag. It was pretty cool to have Fate appear behind Nanoha, but that flashback was pretty disruptive in the fight. Perhaps if they did it in bits and pieces, it'd be better. It is of course a much better fight overall, and the term "aerial mages" really makes sense now. I would have liked Nanoha to take more damage, though. Her armor was a bit screwed up, but she didn't really seem that hurt after taking that wallop from Fate.
I think the major point of having it all there, was for it to force Fate to use her ultimate attack in an act of desperation. Though I suppose they needed something to spark that scene, and Fate becoming confused to why every time she remembered her past, it was always Precia calling her "Alicia." And then it shows just enough BS(back story, not bullshit, lol) to indicate why that might be, and then it ends -- leaving the rest for the scene after Fate breaks down in the Asura.

I'd say if it were in pieces, that could work, but wouldn't several scenes in the middle of a battle be more disruptive than one long(er) scene that is transitioned as Fate is trying to break through Nanoha's barrier?
Old 2010-05-05, 21:06   Link #1750
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Nah, hardly.
Quote:
Just going to comment on one thing -

I think the major point of having it all there, was for it to force Fate to use her ultimate attack in an act of desperation. Though I suppose they needed something to spark that scene, and Fate becoming confused to why every time she remembered her past, it was always Precia calling her "Alicia." And then it shows just enough BS(back story, not bullshit, lol) to indicate why that might be, and then it ends -- leaving the rest for the scene after Fate breaks down in the Asura.

I'd say if it were in pieces, that could work, but wouldn't several scenes in the middle of a battle be more disruptive than one long(er) scene that is transitioned as Fate is trying to break through Nanoha's barrier?
Yea, the flashback is important, but I just felt it put the battle in full stop for quite the while and reduces the urgency. When I mean it in pieces, it could be throughout the movie which would build up a realization of doubt in Fate, or just interspersed through the battle which would increasingly disrupt her mindset while still allowing for mostly continuous action. Or it could be like the TV series where it's brought up before the battle; works too.

MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2010-05-05 at 21:17.
Old 2010-05-05, 21:09   Link #1751
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

Quote:
goes to show how much biasness reeks in this place? 3 guesses for who i'm looking at.
Old 2010-05-05, 21:16   Link #1752
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:

Yea, the flashback is important, but I just felt it put the battle in full stop for quite the while and reduces the urgency. When I mean it pieces, it could be throughout the movie which would build up a realization of doubt in Fate, or just interspersed through the battle which would increasingly disrupt her mindset while still allowing for mostly continuous action. Or it could be like the TV series where it's brought up before the battle; works too.
Perhaps, I wouldn't know the end result of that unless I saw it in action.

Quote:
goes to show how much biasness reeks in this place? 3 guesses for who i'm looking at.
I wouldn't want to point fingers...That leads to pointless arguing.
Old 2010-05-07, 13:12   Link #1753
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

So, I decided to give the camrip another shot today, mostly because a friend of mine was hanging out in my dorm and was curious about the series. I got as far as Nanoha becoming Raising Heart's master before I lost total interest in it and closed it again. It's really very hard to stay interested in the movie when it starts out exactly as season one did, with only a few changes; really raises a feeling of, "Why am I watching this when I've seen it before?"
Old 2010-05-07, 13:18   Link #1754
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
So, I decided to give the camrip another shot today, mostly because a friend of mine was hanging out in my dorm and was curious about the series. I got as far as Nanoha becoming Raising Heart's master before I lost total interest in it and closed it again. It's really very hard to stay interested in the movie when it starts out exactly as season one did, with only a few changes; really raises a feeling of, "Why am I watching this when I've seen it before?"
Just save yourself the time and don't watch it-- it is an unsubbed camrip after all. If you weren't that interested in the first place, there really is no reason to even bother. I'd recommend just waiting for HD subs when you can just have the luxury of Fast forwarding to skim it.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-05-07, 13:23   Link #1755
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Just save yourself the time and don't watch it-- it is an unsubbed camrip after all. If you weren't that interested in the first place, there really is no reason to even bother. I'd recommend just waiting for HD subs when you can just have the luxury of Fast forwarding to skim it.
Well, it's not that I'm not interested in it, and I don't mind watching the camrip all that much since it's pretty easy to guess the dialogue without the subs. It's just hard to get into it when it starts out exactly like the beginning of season one, with only a few changes and better animation. Gives a feeling of "I've seen this before, so why am I watching it again?" really, which is rather annoying and kills my interest quickly.
Old 2010-05-07, 13:26   Link #1756
hinakatbklyn

From your first interpretation, I had a feeling the first part of the movie was similar to the first season with a few changes. So if I was going to give the movie a test run without spoiling myself when the higher quality and subs came out, I tried a different part later on (Fate and Nanoha's first encounter).

The events or the results are not going to change, but the scenes or events leading up to the same result might change which could give me a reason to watch the movie. If the scenes or the events in the movie (including the battle scenes) were an exact copy of the first season, I might not show as much interest in the movie.
Old 2010-05-07, 13:31   Link #1757
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Well, it's not that I'm not interested in it, and I don't mind watching the camrip all that much since it's pretty easy to guess the dialogue without the subs. It's just hard to get into it when it starts out exactly like the beginning of season one, with only a few changes and better animation. Gives a feeling of "I've seen this before, so why am I watching it again?" really, which is rather annoying and kills my interest quickly.
*Shrugs* Oh, my impression was that it seemed to be a tortuous experience for you but my recommendation still stands that you're probably better off not bothering. As in, the movie probably won't impress you enough for you to sit through a camrip. Then again, I usually avoid them.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-05-07, 13:33   Link #1758
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
*Shrugs* Oh, my impression was that it seemed to be a tortuous experience for you
What makes it so bad for me is that the first half of the movie seems to be a complete telling of season one, exactly as it was. I know that it changes a little bit beyond that, but it's hard to convince myself to get that far when the beginning is so hard to stay interested in.
Old 2010-05-07, 13:39   Link #1759
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
What makes it so bad for me is that the first half of the movie seems to be a complete telling of season one, exactly as it was. I know that it changes a little bit beyond that, but it's hard to convince myself to get that far when the beginning is so hard to stay interested in.
Fair enough; and honestly I don't think you should convince yourself to go on any further for the sake of your eyes, interest, and sanity.

However, your friend that is curious could probably make use of the movie. (When it comes out in HD of course) Maybe you could watch it together, I dunno.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-05-07, 13:45   Link #1760
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
However, your friend that is curious could probably make use of the movie. (When it comes out in HD of course) Maybe you could watch it together, I dunno.
That's part of the reason why I got through it as far as I did, at least until she started studying bio. It's easier to stay interested in it when I'm watching it with someone else, especially someone who doesn't know anything about the series.