AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-01, 00:13   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Character Discussion - Oshino Shinobu

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Shinobu Oshino related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Monogatari Series fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 03:19   Link #2
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

I wrote a Shinobu post on my recently started blog, here is the post itself:
Spoiler:

Last edited by omimon; 2012-02-01 at 08:07.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 03:24   Link #3
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Hell these two are literally the same species...I would say their relationship is stronger than anything else in the setting
Old 2012-02-01, 03:38   Link #4
Shadow5YA

Shinobu only wanted to die because she was bored of living. Considering how she takes interest in a lot of things now, I think that problem has been solved.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 04:01   Link #5
Sol Falling

It was quite awhile ago that I first said that I thought Shinobu was one of the two pillars of this series (Hitagi being the other one). It is very exciting to see this starting to come to fruition. Shinobu is a fascinating character who is very sympathetic in her connection to Koyomi. However, it is true that what she means for Araragi himself is the end of all his personal connections, and his humanity. I think that it is this conflict which Shinobu introduces (against Hitagi) which bring the meaning to this story. Bakemonogatari and Kizumonogatari really are both, in the end, only prologues in the larger scheme of things. Once Nisemonogatari makes this clear and the audience starts to catch on to the true scope and conflict of this series, I look forward to even greater continuing adaptations and commercial success from this series for SHAFT and Nishio.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 04:35   Link #6
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Much appreciated, Ominon, these bits of info from the novels really enhance my enjoyment of the show.
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-28, 18:30   Link #7
Hiro Hayase

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
I wrote a Shinobu post on my recently started blog, here is the post itself:
Spoiler:
Adding on to that: You can also say that they are alter ego's of one another in a way. Shinobu is the closest character in the series to Araragi and understands him the best. Their link is so powerful, that they share emotions, pain, thoughts, and etc. About Vampires, Shinobu stated in Kizumongatari that the main cause of death for vampires was suicide, simply put they were bored of their long dull lives so they ended it. Shinobu was the oldest and strongest vampire in the series as Kiss-Shot.

P.S. Shinobu's my favorite character too. I couldn't be more obvious with my sigy and avatar, lol.

Last edited by Hiro Hayase; 2012-02-28 at 22:23.
Hiro Hayase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-01, 16:57   Link #8
aigomorla
100% Tsun... 0% Dere

well i can tell you one thing..

A vampire who gets happy being rewarded with donuts is definitely a first. :P
In the first season of the anime.. when oshino told araragi shinobu was PMSy cuz he ate the last donut, i thought he was kidding.
After watching the second season... i can see that wasnt a joke at all.

i seriously cracked up when she tells araragi to give her a tribute with a mountain of donuts... and her old way of speaking is epic.

Most definitely also one of my favorate loli vampires... probably tied with eva from negima.
aigomorla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 04:04   Link #9
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
When she started talking I burst out laughing and never looked back.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 04:59   Link #10
Sagi

Omimon are we going to see shinobu in her grown up version in nisemonogatari?
Sagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 06:35   Link #11
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagi View Post
Omimon are we going to see shinobu in her grown up version in nisemonogatari?
Spoiler for answer:
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-08, 03:02   Link #12
Myname

Interesting that she has short hair at the 10 year old appearance.
Myname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-08, 18:06   Link #13
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro Hayase View Post
Adding on to that: You can also say that they are alter ego's of one another in a way. Shinobu is the closest character in the series to Araragi and understands him the best. Their link is so powerful, that they share emotions, pain, thoughts, and etc. About Vampires, Shinobu stated in Kizumongatari that the main cause of death for vampires was suicide, simply put they were bored of their long dull lives so they ended it. Shinobu was the oldest and strongest vampire in the series as Kiss-Shot.
Hm, I am pretty sure Tsubasa understands (more precisely analyzes) both Koyomi and Shinobu better than each other and themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
When she started talking I burst out laughing and never looked back.
One of the problems of watching Nise- before Kizu-
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-10, 22:17   Link #14
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Don't really see it as a problem. It was a pleasant surprise and she is probably my favorite of this franchise atm.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 07:18   Link #15
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

at first, I hate her... in Bake, she didn't get much action time...
In Nise, she's starting to be my favorite character because she become more honest in episode 4 and her relationship with Araragi is much closer than other girls

finally, after reading a doujinshi, I know that Monogatari series' ending is actually Araragi and Shinobu pairing... because Araragi will never be able to bring himself to kill Shinobu, that's why both of them will spend their lifetime together
I can't see that Shinobu actually feels guilty but Araragi always convince her that it is his choice

can't wait to see Kizu got animated.... Shinobu ending is the best!!!
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 10:05   Link #16
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

mmmmmm...donuts.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 05:21   Link #17
Forsaken_Infinity

Is there any possible way to deny that she is the fated girl for Koyomi? They're gonna end together no matter what :|

Not that that's a bad thing considering how awesome Shinobu is.
Old 2012-03-19, 11:12   Link #18
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Not really, it's just circumstances, let me elaborate...

The fated girl for Koyomi is Hitagi, because she pushed accidentally all the right buttons, and now (as of Nise- struggles to keep up).

The ideal girl is Tsubasa, because she embodies everything Koyomi wants, but is too perfect in his eyes for him.

The accessible girls are pretty much the rest of the female cast, but are too flawed even compared to Koyomi.

Now where Kissshot fits, she can fluidly switch to all of the above roles, plus she is bound to be with Koyomi forever (as of Kizu's resolution). But that does not mean that she is the best fit, it's just that she can assume the role that Koyomi wants his girl to play, and that's miles away from being THE ONE for him... she can just fake it... should I borrow from Nise's theme
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 20:27   Link #19
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Not really, it's just circumstances, let me elaborate...

The fated girl for Koyomi is Hitagi, because she pushed accidentally all the right buttons, and now (as of Nise- struggles to keep up).

The ideal girl is Tsubasa, because she embodies everything Koyomi wants, but is too perfect in his eyes for him.

The accessible girls are pretty much the rest of the female cast, but are too flawed even compared to Koyomi.

Now where Kissshot fits, she can fluidly switch to all of the above roles, plus she is bound to be with Koyomi forever (as of Kizu's resolution). But that does not mean that she is the best fit, it's just that she can assume the role that Koyomi wants his girl to play, and that's miles away from being THE ONE for him... she can just fake it... should I borrow from Nise's theme
Your denial. I love it.

Jokes aside though, how deeply does Koyomi get romantically involved with Shinobu? What's their opinion of each other as a man and a woman, basically?
Old 2012-03-27, 14:12   Link #20
Shadow5YA

I do wonder where Shinobu fits, since Koyomi seems to hide less from her than the other females. He doesn't tell Hitagi much about Mayoi. He had to put up a front with Tsubasa and pretend he was tough with his sisters. Suruga and Nadeko are even less informed.

With Shinobu, it seems that he doesn't really hide anything from her.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters