Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-27, 14:59   Link #4501
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

no idea,

i drank some dew on sometimes but have no problem going months without drinking dew

PS. Diet Mountain Dew is most disgusting thing every invented.
Old 2009-10-27, 16:05   Link #4502
Tiberium Wolf

Say farewell to GeoCities

Oh it's gone. RIP GeoCities!
Old 2009-10-27, 17:11   Link #4503
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hawk View Post
I've seen/read lots of reports about Mountain Dew addiction (Diane Sawyer's report on it comes to mind), yet none on other soda/pop.
The hell does Mountain Dew have that other soda's don't?!
Yellow 5?
Old 2009-10-27, 17:16   Link #4504
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Say farewell to GeoCities

Oh it's gone. RIP GeoCities!
i didn't even know it was still alive
Old 2009-10-27, 18:44   Link #4505
npcomplete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hawk View Post
I've seen/read lots of reports about Mountain Dew addiction (Diane Sawyer's report on it comes to mind), yet none on other soda/pop.
The hell does Mountain Dew have that other soda's don't?!
Caffeine - 54mg per 12oz can. His withdrawal symptoms are the same as that of coffee withdrawal. His weight loss was due to dropping 6+ cans of sugar a day of course.

For an 8oz cup, darker black teas and lighter coffees have 50-60mg, while darker coffees can have up to 120mg. It's interesting that all energy drinks I see like Monster, AMP, have warnings to limit yourself to 3 cans a day.
Old 2009-10-27, 19:11   Link #4506
Knight Hawk
Lurker

All of these soda's have caffeine, yet Mountain Dew makes the headline's. (not just from this story) Perhaps Mtn Dew has a secret ingredient like coke used to have.
Old 2009-10-27, 19:43   Link #4507
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The caffeine and other ingredients are nothing... its the "not really sugar" corn fructose (corn syrup) that is "teH 3V1L" in modern US soda pop (and probably the culprit in much of the national obesity). 6 cans of soda a day adds about 1200+ calories to your diet. When you couple that with the problem that this is one of the "false" sugars that don't trigger the brain's "had enough" signal... it means you drink it all and still feel hungry, overeating even more.

Soda can be a treat... but drink the ones made with *real* cane sugar (local microbrew soda, mexican coca-cola, etc) and you'll find you "need" much less and it will taste better anyway. LOOK at the ingredients in those "energy" drinks as well :P

HIstorically, Mountain Dew was the preferred programmer drink because it had a smidgen more caffeine than other sodas. With the advent of the 'monster' energy drinks, that is no longer true.
Old 2009-10-28, 01:10   Link #4508
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6892954.ece

Dozens of leading French politicians, business figures and artists, including the son of the former President François Mitterrand, have been found guilty of fuelling one of Africa’s deadliest civil wars through the illegal sale of weapons worth £450 million

It was implied that France was so keen to curry favour with the oil-rich southern African state that it allowed the weapons deals to go ahead.

However, Judge Parlos said: “Rarely have we reached such a degree of organisation and dissimulation of offences generating considerable profits.
i am shock just shock that the US government would put oil and profit above human lives. The US got a lot to learn form our European friends on upholding Human Rights

oh wait.
Old 2009-10-28, 02:05   Link #4509
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i am shock just shock that the US government would put oil and profit above human lives. The US got a lot to learn form our European friends on upholding Human Rights

oh wait.
Wat? Oil = brings $ or at least saves $.

Human lives = cost $ to support and sustain.

Pretty simple from my end, so long as you put no intrinsic value on most human life.
Old 2009-10-28, 03:46   Link #4510
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
Human lives = cost $ to support and sustain.

Pretty simple from my end, so long as you put no intrinsic value on most human life.
Even with a blandly pragmatic outlook (a totally empty, pointless one, by any measure except its own), you're wrong.

Human resources are the most important resources in, well, human societies. Material wealth has no worth unless somebody actually gets to use it.

For a pithy amount of resources these blindly selfish men within the French government contributed to an event that cost the world an immeasurable amount of what economists, those heartless number-crunchers, call an "opportunity cost." Imagine instead a stable, more free, more prosperous Angola where the chaos is. If just one of those who are now dead in the killing fields had the potential to be the "next Einstein," then the world have lost a precious thing. And even if none of them would have had become Einstein, war consumes resources and produce nothing in return. And those are just the most direct, obvious of the potential benefits, since generally so-called "pragmatists" are awfully retarded at seeing the non-obvious value of things and I don't feel like explaining the rest -- the value of culture, for example.

Of course, pragmatists generally limit their worldview anyway. If France (or more exactly the French establishment) benefits just a little, then they are willing to place a greater cost on the rest of the world. That is because "they" are the French establishment and "they" won't have to pay for it. Geopolitics as understood by the power-holders of the world is more or less idiocy; blind self-interest is expensive.
Old 2009-10-28, 04:36   Link #4511
npcomplete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The caffeine and other ingredients are nothing... its the "not really sugar" corn fructose (corn syrup) that is "teH 3V1L" in modern US soda pop (and probably the culprit in much of the national obesity). 6 cans of soda a day adds about 1200+ calories to your diet. When you couple that with the problem that this is one of the "false" sugars that don't trigger the brain's "had enough" signal... it means you drink it all and still feel hungry, overeating even more.
Yeah I've read about that before. I haven't heard anything about addictive properties though in terms of physiological effects although I wouldn't be surprised if there were any. From experience his symptoms are the same as mine when I go without caffeine/coffee for more than a day

Quote:
Soda can be a treat... but drink the ones made with *real* cane sugar (local microbrew soda, mexican coca-cola, etc) and you'll find you "need" much less and it will taste better anyway. LOOK at the ingredients in those "energy" drinks as well :P
There's glass-bottled root beer and cream soda using cane sugar in my local supermarket that's quite yummy but I don't buy often simply it's too expensive And it's only one brand, the other (cheaper) brands use corn syrup.
Old 2009-10-28, 04:59   Link #4512
Tiberium Wolf

Couple alive after car pins them to bed for almost an hour

There is really no bonds to the amount of luck you can get.

Last edited by Tiberium Wolf; 2009-10-28 at 14:28.
Old 2009-10-28, 11:19   Link #4513
Jaden

Whoa! That's pretty crazy. Though I'd say that is misfortune, when some wacko comes through your wall even though he was aiming for another building.

I'm glad I live on the fifth floor, I guess?
Old 2009-10-28, 12:37   Link #4514
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post

oh wait.
that article remind me of the movie 'lord of war'

btw Unlike europeans, we should follow the Peoples Republic of China's example of improving Africa
Old 2009-10-28, 15:15   Link #4515
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...est=latestnews

The couple, both in their late 50s, have been sailing around the world. The last message on their blog, entered shortly before the distress signal was sent, reads simply: “PLEASE RING SARAH”
i think it time governments bill thier citizens for rescue operations. why in the world would sail into this area infested with pirates ALONE. this is going to cost the Taxpayer a ton of money in ransom and in operation cost. If the thier families are going to be bill the cost of these resuce operation maybe there would be a reductions in these kind incidents. This also goes to the 3 idiots (ind Reporters) who just happen to vacation in iraq and just happen to corss the border into iran.
Old 2009-10-28, 16:10   Link #4516
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Illegal downloaders face web ban

Ohh, so the UK continue to 'suppress' their people by churning out another law in an attempt to solve an issue by instant punishment.
There is a thread around in the GC forum regarding downloads and penalties, tho can't find it, so i just paste link here for now.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20091028...n-6323e80.html

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2009-10-28, 17:17   Link #4517
mg1942

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger of California recently issued a veto statement to the state assembly that contained the following message:

Old 2009-10-28, 17:28   Link #4518
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger of California recently issued a veto statement to the state assembly that contained the following message:

Considering that he wanted to turn down all the laws... using this statement...
Honestly I read some of the laws that were turned down where he used rather rational veto statements - and well those laws appeared to be of really minor importance.
Old 2009-10-28, 17:28   Link #4519
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I thought it was a clever bit of acrostic humor.... naturally there is some harumphing...
Old 2009-10-28, 17:32   Link #4520
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I thought it was a clever bit of acrostic humor.... naturally there is some harumphing...
Err, you are right.

Last edited by Jinto; 2009-10-28 at 17:46.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international