AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-02-05, 13:29   Link #81
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Goldfish Warning!

'nuf said.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 14:15   Link #82
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I wonder why you concluded that Kanon is a reference to the Dutch word though. A lot of same sounding words can be found in different languages with different meanings if you bother looking hard enough.

As far as Kanon goes, it is believed to be a reference to a term in music.
I think so too. Actually, I remember Pachelbel's Canon in D playing in Shiori's arc.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 16:49   Link #83
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major1138 View Post
I always thought it was a reference to the movie Full Metal Jacket
Which, itself, is a reference to a type of ammunition. The phrase connotes being heavily armored, I believe, but perhaps someone with a better sense of military rhetoric than old pacifist moi could give us some details.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 20:15   Link #84
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Goldfish Warning!

'nuf said.
I have never heard of that show, but the title is WEIRD enough that I now must look it up.
Old 2008-02-05, 20:23   Link #85
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroman View Post
Kanon, Kanon is the literal word for Canon in dutch, great anime/game bad title
It's a reference to Pachelbel's Canon, a song which is played in the series, whose original german title was "Kanon und Gigue in D-Dur für drei Violinen und Basso Continuo" Hence the 'K' in "Kanon".

Last edited by Ziv; 2008-02-07 at 01:34.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 20:34   Link #86
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv View Post
It's a reference to Pachelbel's Canon, a song which is played in the series, whose original german title was "Kanon und Gigue in D-Dur für drei Violinen und Basso Continuo"
Ah, beat me to it.
Key's visual novels are named so that they seem like a great deal of consideration and thought were put into their naming, not unlike Sola.
Most visual novels (and therefore, visual novel adaptations) have names that may be confusing, but often have a deeper meaning. (Key's Air, Kanon, Clannad. Circus' Da Capo, etc.)

I've always wondered just why they decided to name it Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan. Just Dokuro-chan or Tenshi Dokuro-chan would have been perfectly fine, though Bokusatsu actually correlates to the anime's theme.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 20:41   Link #87
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

crayon shin chan

not that its THAT weird, it just led me to a show which i thought was good for a child(my cousin) in which one of the first shots in the first episode was a "tiny elephant". talk about nudity.
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 20:58   Link #88
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun - I never would have been able to enjoy this nice ecchi comedy if I had gone on name alone...The name of this show should have been something like "Triple-Team" or "Double Love" ...Anything but 2 obscure character names...

Bamboo-Sword - Anime gets on my nerves sometimes when they give cutsey girl//school-girl animes an action title and have me dl it on name alone...I was like, "WTF?, Fooled again..."

s-CRY-ed (Or Scryed) - No one has ever given an explanation for the name of this series that can't be easily argued against...

Darker than Black - Visually amazing show with great music, but ain't much really THAT dark about it when compared to other shows in that genre...Lots of eps are "Lighter than White..." 0_o

BLEACH - Sounds cool, but has no meaning in the context of the show itself except for fan speculations citing everything from souls being bleached when destroyed to an ode to Kurt Cobain's album song of the same name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhem
crayon shin chan

not that its THAT weird, it just led me to a show which i thought was good for a child(my cousin) in which one of the first shots in the first episode was a "tiny elephant". talk about nudity.
Maybe your little cuz should try Super-Milk Chan instead^^...Just as misleading...
Old 2008-02-05, 21:12   Link #89
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun - I never would have been able to enjoy this nice ecchi comedy if I had gone on name alone...The name of this show should have been something like "Triple-Team" or "Double Love" ...Anything but 2 obscure character names...
Goshuushou-sama is actually a phrase meaning "My condolences", "My sympathy", etc. I guess a more slang English translation would be something like "I feel for you, brah", with or without the "brah".
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 21:42   Link #90
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahem View Post
crayon shin chan

It is actually a kids show in Japan. Just the english dub is made to appeal to an older crowd.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 00:40   Link #91
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
s-CRY-ed (Or Scryed) - No one has ever given an explanation for the name of this series that can't be easily argued against...
Read the manga. It's very different, but it does explain the title at the end. Something about scryed being a word that triggers evolution or something like that. I forget what it said exactly, and it still doesn't make a lot of sense, but it is an explaination of sorts.
Old 2008-02-06, 01:11   Link #92
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

One show in perticular stands out for me . Its Japanese title is okay but when you translate into English its quite the turn off due a certain reason . The show is Kaibutsu Oujo which translates as Monster Princess . You may go whats wrong with the title Monster Princess ? nothing actually but this show released at the same time as another OVA was going on. And that show was called Murder Princess .

Due to this very reason I followed the show late and that too as I had nothing better to download . I loved the show to be honest even better than Murder Princess
Old 2008-02-06, 01:44   Link #93
Teh_Rie

Bleach
weird

X
too simple
Teh_Rie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 23:31   Link #94
Major1138

Quote:

Bamboo-Sword - Anime gets on my nerves sometimes when they give cutsey girl//school-girl animes an action title and have me dl it on name alone...I was like, "WTF?, Fooled again..."
If it's the show I'm thinking of, I'm not exactly sure how this name is misleading - the show is about a kendo team. The name is pretty appropriate...
Major1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 23:47   Link #95
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
One show in perticular stands out for me . Its Japanese title is okay but when you translate into English its quite the turn off due a certain reason . The show is Kaibutsu Oujo which translates as Monster Princess . You may go whats wrong with the title Monster Princess ? nothing actually but this show released at the same time as another OVA was going on. And that show was called Murder Princess .

Due to this very reason I followed the show late and that too as I had nothing better to download . I loved the show to be honest even better than Murder Princess
That's probably why it's been translated to Princess Resurrection. I don't like the name that much, but i suppose it's still fitting for the show. I don't even bother translating it to english. Kaibutsu Oujo sounds better haha.

Otherwise it would be like the whole Kamichama Karin and Karin issue that made Tokyo Pop change the name to Chibi Vampire to avoid confusion.

imo del ray should've kept it as saying Kaibutsu Oujo.

もいちど。。。
Nenkitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 01:28   Link #96
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major1138 View Post
If it's the show I'm thinking of, I'm not exactly sure how this name is misleading - the show is about a kendo team. The name is pretty appropriate...
I'm saying I dislike when they give school-girl or cutsey girl anime titles action-title names...On name alone this sounds like it can be an awesome fighter title but when I clicked play I got 3 dopey little girls with sticks...Just saying anime tends to fool me based on titles ALOT!
Old 2008-02-07, 07:38   Link #97
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amex_Yohko View Post
2. Naruto
Why choose a character's name as a title?
If it was so then it would be called "The Adventures of Uzumaki Naruto" or something similar.

The title of the sow is actually very smart, one of the smartest out there IMO, and you've seen the source of it from Episode 1!
Big Hint. Something to do with Kakashi.

Spoiler for Inconsequential Spoiler:
Old 2008-02-16, 01:55   Link #98
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Look what I found!

It seems that some enterprising Japanese fan found and translated this thread (or well, a good part of it), and now Japanese fans are commenting on what western fans think are stupid titles.

http://goyaku.seesaa.net/article/82954962.html

It seems that "Sumomomomomomo" comes from a tongue twister "李も桃も" = plums and peaches.

Although I might admit my suggestion of "Goldfish Warning" seems to be in complete agreement across the oceans.

Someone also respond to the question above "Naruto - Why just name the series after the main character?" with the list "Superman, Batman, Spiderman..." etc .
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 02:12   Link #99
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

Quote:
Look what I found!

It seems that some enterprising Japanese fan found and translated this thread (or well, a good part of it), and now Japanese fans are commenting on what western fans think are stupid titles.

http://goyaku.seesaa.net/article/82954962.html

It seems that "Sumomomomomomo" comes from a tongue twister "李も桃も" = plums and peaches.

Although I might admit my suggestion of "Goldfish Warning" seems to be in complete agreement across the oceans.

Someone also respond to the question above "Naruto - Why just name the series after the main character?" with the list "Superman, Batman, Spiderman..." etc .
we are being stalked XD
cicido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 03:03   Link #100
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Whow, that means Megami-Anime Fansubs translated that correctly! I remember watching the OP from these people and for Sumomo mo momo mo it was something like "plums and peaches" but I couldn't see why they translated it that way. Now the hard part is...what does "plums and peaches" mean in Japanese culture?
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote