AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-05-18, 12:52   Link #81
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamikage
Chapter 2 is out, available at the same place as chapter 1.

I'd tell you where to get ddl but some mod might make my post legendary.
Can i ask you something in PM?
IchiKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-18, 13:14   Link #82
Kazu-kun

If you don't use spoiler tags for that kind of posts, the mods will surely delete it.... again
Old 2006-05-18, 13:23   Link #83
PhantomX
Tsuruya's Lover

Send a message via AIM to PhantomX Send a message via MSN to PhantomX
Lol, she does it on purpose ... she enjoys being smited by the powers that be :P
PhantomX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-18, 14:05   Link #84
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

She also doesn't quite seem to grasp that anime doesn't necessarily track source material (novel in this case) on a 1:1 basis --- sometimes the writers CHANGE the story a bit to fit the restraints of the medium.

So that makes novel spoilerage doubly bad -- not only is she ruining the novels for those of us who want to read it after the anime is over, she may, in fact, be incorrect based on the anime's story direction.

We'll see if the mods can get that across... I'm not happy with her for answering some anime comments I had with unmarked novel spoilers that weren't even very relevant to my comments.
Old 2006-05-18, 14:45   Link #85
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
She also doesn't quite seem to grasp that anime doesn't necessarily track source material (novel in this case) on a 1:1 basis --- sometimes the writers CHANGE the story a bit to fit the restraints of the medium.
While it's wildly off-topic, the introduction of Kyon's sister to the Lone Island episode was a smart addition by the KyoAni staffers. Performing a 1:1 translation of novel to anime is virtually impossible, and if they had performed such a feat... it's rather unlikely it would be enjoyable. Some modifications to the story have to be expected, because they make the anime a stronger product. From the small piece of the Lone Island Syndrome that has been translated, brining Kyon's sister into the show looks like a smart idea.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-18, 15:34   Link #86
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I agree and understand --- any visual treatment of a novel or even a manga has to re-arrange certain things because of time and budget constraints as well as just the fact that the visual medium lets you highlight different aspects of a story.
Something as simple as a pedantic description of a castle becomes a awe-inducing experience with a visual.... and its quite difficult to project inner motivations in a visual medium when its a snap in written form.
Old 2006-05-19, 16:41   Link #87
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamikage
Chapter 2 is out, available at the same place as chapter 1.

I'd tell you where to get ddl but some mod might make my post legendary.
you have my thankful yamikage
because of you
i finally trad the Suzumiya Haruhi No Yuutsu Manga
Chapter 1 and 2 into FR
to finally search for french fans
IchiKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-19, 17:24   Link #88
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Psieye Send a message via MSN to Psieye
On a separate note, Manga Vol 1 Ch 2 is already pulling off what should be done in the anime's "Yuutsu Ep 4 of 6". In other words, do not read it if you don't want to be spoiled of what the anime will take another 2 weeks before coming back to.

Moe Culture Essays (my archive of my long posts); J Saimoe 2008 Wiki pages (minimialistic ASuki link library for now)
Psieye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-19, 18:16   Link #89
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psieye
On a separate note, Manga Vol 1 Ch 2 is already pulling off what should be done in the anime's "Yuutsu Ep 4 of 6". In other words, do not read it if you don't want to be spoiled of what the anime will take another 2 weeks before coming back to.

*goes off to download it*

Old 2006-05-19, 18:53   Link #90
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
*goes off to download it*

If you are going to do that, won't it be quicker to read the novel translations?
Old 2006-05-19, 19:02   Link #91
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Psieye Send a message via MSN to Psieye
He already has - he's an Editor in the novel translation project ^^

Moe Culture Essays (my archive of my long posts); J Saimoe 2008 Wiki pages (minimialistic ASuki link library for now)
Psieye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-19, 19:24   Link #92
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psieye
He already has - he's an Editor in the novel translation project ^^
I expected as much... Still, I personally don't have an urge to read the manga for some reason.
Old 2006-05-19, 21:23   Link #93
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

oh well its a different expericence, not worse but sadly not better either.

oh well, if you got a free second to download it. just give it ago, it was quite a novelty to see it in manga form to be honest. (^^)/
Old 2006-05-20, 18:50   Link #94
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Hmmm how do you guys handle your novels?
Sorry for replying late to this but...

What I do is emulate what the Japanese book stores do when you buy a book from them: wrap the book in a paper cover. The Japanese book stores have ready-made mass-produced paper covers but I make my own paper covers by using relatively thin letter-sized or A4 paper. I usually only use this on books I'm currently reading so the covers don't get knocked up as much.

Spoiler for book cover procedure:

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-20, 19:45   Link #95
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

......... ......

*is speechless*
Old 2006-05-21, 00:06   Link #96
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by melange
Sorry for replying late to this but...

What I do is emulate what the Japanese book stores do when you buy a book from them: wrap the book in a paper cover. The Japanese book stores have ready-made mass-produced paper covers but I make my own paper covers by using relatively thin letter-sized or A4 paper. I usually only use this on books I'm currently reading so the covers don't get knocked up as much.

Spoiler for book cover procedure:
Hmmm I see, I was thinking of adding plastic wraps or covers.

But anyway I'm going to check on the novel 8 I ordered and I decided to buy another set just for collection.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-21, 00:13   Link #97
arias

Quote:
Hmmm I see, I was thinking of adding plastic wraps or covers.

But anyway I'm going to check on the novel 8 I ordered and I decided to buy another set just for collection.
Plastic wraps could be done in the same way with the paper wraps, except you use little transparent tapes to tape the corners of the plastic together. Depending on where you live, there might be customized plastic covers for books of various sizes. When I was in Singapore, I often bought exact plastic covers for my manga; each costing about US$0.30. So now I have my best-loved series in complete mint condition... except that the paper sometimes gets yellow, naturally.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-21, 00:47   Link #98
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
Plastic wraps could be done in the same way with the paper wraps, except you use little transparent tapes to tape the corners of the plastic together. Depending on where you live, there might be customized plastic covers for books of various sizes. When I was in Singapore, I often bought exact plastic covers for my manga; each costing about US$0.30. So now I have my best-loved series in complete mint condition... except that the paper sometimes gets yellow, naturally.
Yea I'm singaporean, seems like singaporeans like plastic wraps alot lol, school text books are always in such wraps.

And yes it keeps books in very good conditions. But prefabricated plastic covers don't seem to come in sizes as small as the Haruhi novels.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-21, 01:52   Link #99
arias

Quote:
Yea I'm singaporean, seems like singaporeans like plastic wraps alot lol, school text books are always in such wraps.

And yes it keeps books in very good conditions. But prefabricated plastic covers don't seem to come in sizes as small as the Haruhi novels.
Haruhi novels? Mmm. I am pretty damn sure you can find the bookwraps in Popular Bookstores... I usually acquire mine from the one in Parkway Parade. Unless the novels are incredibly tiny (much smaller than the average manga book by Chuang Yi), there should be a size for it. They is the awesome
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-21, 03:00   Link #100
Wrath88
Kissing...

Quote:
Agreed. It keeps the books in good condition. Although my mother sometimes uses the harder paper that those calenders are made out of to wrap some of my books instead. They work just as well as plastic, although you have to cut them down to fit the book first.

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga