AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2015-08-31, 11:36   Link #1
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Do you watch the opening sequence of an anime in full when a season starts?

I was thinking about how anime tend to have these highly polished opening sequences that sometimes can provide a bit of supplementary information about said anime; while most viewers would doubtlessly skip these after a season is under way, I'm curious to know whether or not you watch the opening sequences fully when picking up a show's first episode.
Old 2015-08-31, 12:28   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I always watch the OP and ED in full when I begin a series unless the music is horrendous (I'm looking at you, Log Horizon!). Even then I'll skip though the OP or ED to see the graphics.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-31, 12:41   Link #3
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

I used to watch the anime theme songs in full length for all the episodes of whatever series but over years, I either just listen to the music while not looking at the visuals (in live broadcast) or simply skip them just to shorten the time.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-31, 14:01   Link #4
Wolfe La Piroko
Choir of Angels

I always watch it about 2 times, once for the lyrics one for the visuals. Then I just skip (and everyone comments on my talent to skip perfectly by eye ^.^)
Wolfe La Piroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-31, 14:59   Link #5
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
It really depends. Generally in the first ep yes. To me the OP and ED should be integrally part of an anime series together with the episode contents - it is a whole picture, and sometimes even a commentary, foreshadowing tool, etc when done well.

There are a handful of elements I can think of off hand.

The music itself, audio wise, as a stand alone work - how effective are the music and the lyrics?

The visuals. How well do they compliment or even enlarge on either the audio elements or the story itself?

The overall effect of the combination of both audio and visuals as a stand alone "thing".

The degree to which the op or ed intertwines with individual episodes and the series as a whole.

So anyhoo, different op and ed fall in this spectrum somewhere generally. There are lots of examples of each I could give, but I think the idea is gotten across.

It really does depend on a case by case basis for me, but I generally find it much rarer than otherwise that an op or ed will click with me to encourage me to watch either or both for a series I am following.

Last edited by Flower; 2015-08-31 at 15:16. Reason: typos...
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-31, 15:13   Link #6
DOmus
天国無事故
*Artist

Its a must for me to watch both OP and END of the first episode. Then, if I liked it, I will keep listening to it, if not, there will be 3 min of my life that I might use for something else.
Old 2015-08-31, 16:23   Link #7
RichardFromMarple

I normally watch both in full, some series like to evolve the credits sequences & change theme songs quite often.

Studio Shaft likes to do this at lot.
RichardFromMarple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-31, 17:10   Link #8
LKK

I usually watch both all the way through the season. One reason is like what RichardFromMarple mentioned, the OP & ED sometimes change throughout the season. Another reason is that I'm too lazy to fast-forward through them. I usually overshoot and then have to backtrack. So it's less of a bother to just watch them.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-31, 18:17   Link #9
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I always watch the opening sequence fully when picking up a show's first episode.

In my view, the OP is often a key part of the show's overall presentation, as it is often good at setting an overall mood/tone for the show. For many anime shows, the OP is one of the main things I like about the show.

When watching a show on a live week-to-week basis, I'll usually watch the full OP every week. However, when I marathon a show in one sitting, I'll sometimes skip over the OP after I've watched an episode or two.

The ED is more hit-and-miss for me. With few exceptions, I tend to like a show's OP more than its ED. I'll usually watch the ED fully when picking up a show's first episode, but I'm more likely to drop the ED than the OP for future episode watches.
Old 2015-08-31, 18:33   Link #10
Top Sergeant

Yes, I always watch the OP and ED the first episode. After that I often skip it, unless I particularly like it. Ones I always watch for ach episode are Oda Nobuna and Gate to name two.
Old 2015-08-31, 20:04   Link #11
AnimeFangirl

Long ago I used to watch the OP+ED in full for every single episode of every single show. Now I skip them and go straight to the show. If I like the show then from episode 2 I'll try the OP+ED once. No more after that unless the song is super catchy or the animation is super interesting.
Old 2015-09-02, 13:54   Link #12
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I usually do, unless it's terrible sounding like Nano.ripe or something. I skipped Hana Saku Iroha's OP every time.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-02, 15:32   Link #13
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Only if the music is good .. And that on it's own is a rather rare thing these days at least for me. From this season I only watch Gangsta's OP, but I watch this every episode. I just can't get enough of it. The song is great, but so is the animation itself.

Generally when a new season starts and new animes roll out I'll just skip in the OP to specific parts quickly and see if it sounds good. More often than not, it doesn't. Subsequent episodes get no OP time at all; straight into the action. Growing more and more picky as the years go by ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I usually do, unless it's terrible sounding like Nano.ripe or something. I skipped Hana Saku Iroha's OP every time.
What IS this hate for nano.ripe? Can't say I particularly *like* their songs but they're not bad, let alone unbearable as people make them out to be.
Old 2015-09-02, 16:43   Link #14
IceHism

Most anime songs are generic as hell with similar rock tones so i skip most of them. Not to mention, a lot of the singers aren't exactly the best singers.
In the rare case that the song sounds pleasant and is different to listen to, then i'll listen all the time.

However, i usually always listen to the op and ed on ep 2 and the final episode / end of an arc. It's just part of the experience at that point.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-02, 18:13   Link #15
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
What IS this hate for nano.ripe? Can't say I particularly *like* their songs but they're not bad, let alone unbearable as people make them out to be.
I personally don't understand the dislike, myself. Granted, they don't sound as pleasant on the ears as, say, ChouCho, so I'm curious to know what the disapproval is about

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Most anime songs are generic as hell with similar rock tones so i skip most of them. Not to mention, a lot of the singers aren't exactly the best singers.
In the rare case that the song sounds pleasant and is different to listen to, then i'll listen all the time.
I skip all the rock ones for the same reason. In general, I listen to the music once at the beginning, and then after arcs change as required. Beyond that, I use the skip features as frequently as provided.
Old 2015-09-03, 06:53   Link #16
AntonKutovoi

Mostbof the time I watch them 1-2 times and then I skip them. Although if I like the song, I always watch it (examples: both openings of Garo, first opening of Toriko, Ushio to Tora opening, latest Durarara opening).

Although, there's exceptions, where I hardly can listen opening even one time, like Parasyte opening, which made my ears bleed).
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-03, 13:00   Link #17
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
I dunno, the vocalization just sounds annoying to me and causes me discomfort. I think it's often due to the notes being held on too long and being repetitious. But the off vocals are good though so hey, I like the guitar !

In all fairness, it's still better than any chipmunk tunes or like Ali Project. I barely consider most of these music and they actually can make me sick due to prolonged exposure.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-03, 15:29   Link #18
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Hmm, I'll watch the OP but I'll probably just listen to the ED while commenting on the episode here...mainly because the OP can give a few hints as to what the anime is reeeaaally all about (although it is usually accompanied by spoilers, oftentimes huge ones) while the ED tends to be character stills/portraits. I eventually watch the ED as well, but only after I know the characters of the series.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-04, 01:23   Link #19
Westlo
Lets be reality

I'll watch both in full the first couple times unless they are flat out awful.... after that it depends on how good it is and/or if I'm rushing....

Like for the three series I'm trying to work through atm... I watch the OP/ED for Kekkai Sensen (unless I'm rushing) and skip for Jitsu wa Watashi wa and Rokka no Yuusha... though Rokka has changed up the OP and switched out the ED so I've watched them a few times more..
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-04, 10:12   Link #20
relentlessflame

*Administrator

For me personally, I watch the OP and ED of every episode pretty much without fail. To me, it's part of the natural flow of the content and helps to set the tone/flavour of the work. Since a lot of shows try to end on a high note or a cliffhanger, I usually like to have the ED to help offset and give me a bit to ponder what happened in the episode.

(Then again, I also sit through credits in movie theatres, too. The medleys usually sum up the themes of the story and give me time to reflect on what I just saw, and I also think it's respectful to the people who worked on the movie and whose names are in the credits. I realize, though, that basically nobody does this (in North America, anyway). I annoy friends and family when I go to the theatre with them because they just want to get out of there.)