AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2003-11-30, 07:33   Link #1
elian85

Send a message via ICQ to elian85
intro-outro 2 long

just a question, i honour what the fansub groups do but.... for example ebichu. it s like 50% are intro and outro, so... why not cut it. would b a lot easier. it should not cost 2 much time, i guess. each file could be about 40 mb smaller, would be a lot easier to share. i do the cutting with a friend of mine, so that it does not take that much disk space, but... first downloadin and then throwing it away seems a bit strange.
elian85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-30, 07:47   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Since this thread has nothing to do with a Fansub series, I moved it to Fansub Groups (it was either there or General Anime).

While you might prefer the removal of OP/ED to produce a smaller filesize, a lot of people would hate it (you should see some of the hate mail received by commercial companies when they do this on DVD releases). Same applies to the previews as well.

In most cases the extra 3m is only about 12% of the total file (or 20Mb or so) and so there's not much difference in dl 170Mb or 150Mb. But to be honest, I don't think most people would accept this saving if it mean not having the OP/ED.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-30, 10:27   Link #3
K_R
also known as K!

He might mean the notes that come with AMPG's Ebichu.
K_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-30, 11:01   Link #4
GipFace

Mmm ...

(you should see some of the hate mail received by commercial companies when they do this on DVD releases).

Actually, some anime DVDs are so pressed for space, they only contain one instance of the opening and ending, and all the episodes access it.

An example of this is the R1 Chobits DVD ... stupid layer switching ... <_<
GipFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-30, 14:15   Link #5
holyangel
Kawaii Fantasy

^^!! No opening and ending song? hmmm... Well, that's a good idea but... its all about presentation I think...
holyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-30, 14:23   Link #6
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

In the early days of digisubbing people did this all the time, but these days space is not as much of an issue, and people care more about getting to hear the intro and outtro every time.
Shii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-30, 16:44   Link #7
NenMaster

yea, sometimes it does get annoying but i skip all that, is 40mb on each file to much for ya
NenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-30, 17:16   Link #8
elian85

about ebichu. well, i need these explanations but was i meant was the opening with song.... i my opinion u could leave the first with op/ed but the 2nd and following should not have that. my dvd play can play divx, but it sux watchin the intro all the time and at the standalone dvd player it s quiet difficult to skip forward. anyway.... i did not know that so many guys wanna c that intro. i think u could leave the op/ed if it is sth new but not all the time.
same thing with naruto, after the commercial 15 secs of the old stuff, at the beginning up to the title of the ep same as in the ep b4. it is like they wanna make it longer and longer. eg ep 40: 4.43 secs till new starts. 15 secs at commecial and 3.40 at the end. makes 8:37 wasted and the episodes is just 23:04 min long. more then a third. thats pain in my ass .
Old 2003-11-30, 17:21   Link #9
elian85

takes sometimes too long 2 download

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
In the early days of digisubbing people did this all the time, but these days space is not as much of an issue, and people care more about getting to hear the intro and outtro every time.

mmh u r right, but eg i started naruto when 60 was released. up to 44 was no prob, cuz there are alway 4 ep in 1 torrent, was faster. but from 45 to 60 is a hard time. i know that bt is a p2p sharing client for new files but if these files wouldn b that big, i might have some more in my shared folder. altough i got 60 gb (aint that much i know ;+60 extern) i download 20 series at the same time so...
if the naruto files would be a bit smaller i might b able 2 continue, but i gotta wait when it is soooooo..... omg i m gonna snap...
Old 2003-12-01, 20:06   Link #10
NenMaster

never heard of data back up
here u can get cdrw cheap and dvdrws arnt that much more £70
NenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-02, 07:36   Link #11
Kasshin
Kasshin X Kasshin

Send a message via ICQ to Kasshin Send a message via AIM to Kasshin Send a message via MSN to Kasshin
A lot of karaoke timers/typesetters spend a lot of time on the karaoke... would suck if you worked that hard and it only gets shown once. Plus the opening is the best place to put group staff credits.

Quite a few people love singing along to the opening / ending songs too. I'm sure most people will download the fansub that has the opening or the ending theme if they had a choice.

I don't know about other people... but I personally have this "ritual" of watching the opening and the ending (but not the preview) every episode. I also read credits for almost every episode too.
Kasshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-02, 11:24   Link #12
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Quote:
Originally Posted by GipFace
(you should see some of the hate mail received by commercial companies when they do this on DVD releases).

Actually, some anime DVDs are so pressed for space, they only contain one instance of the opening and ending, and all the episodes access it.

An example of this is the R1 Chobits DVD ... stupid layer switching ... <_<
This definately depends on the DVD. Sometimes diffrent people worked on diffrent episodes, thus diffrent credits have to be shown. DVDs are rarely THAT pressed for space, heh.

And cutting the op/eds is BAAAD. It's not like we'd save much room anyway. Most anime is CD Size anyway nowadays, 4 eps/175 megs each. ~If we cut the op/eds, we'd just end up with slightly higher bitrates. Also, the op/eds are there for a reason. I like them, so do many others. If you want op/eds cut, you can do it yourself I'm afraid. It's not very hard.
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-02, 13:11   Link #13
dbzgundam
A-Blitz Founder/Encoder

The average size of an Intro is 25-30MB, and outro is around the same, can be smaller or larger.

Subtract this from 175, and you have anywhere from 150 to 145MB encodes... THEN subtract the outro, that's another 30MB gone, meaning 120MB. While this method seems useful, fans hate it and getting rid of the intro is like a bad licensor making their own. (Jesus, how many times has Funimation done that!?)
dbzgundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-02, 17:45   Link #14
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbzgundam
The average size of an Intro is 25-30MB, and outro is around the same, can be smaller or larger.

Subtract this from 175, and you have anywhere from 150 to 145MB encodes... THEN subtract the outro, that's another 30MB gone, meaning 120MB. While this method seems useful, fans hate it and getting rid of the intro is like a bad licensor making their own. (Jesus, how many times has Funimation done that!?)
I think you are exaggerating the size opening and closings take. Assuming a uniform distribution of compressibility, taking out 55mb out of 175mb is like taking 8 minutes out of a 25 minute show. I seriously doubt openings and endings are 4 minutes long each (except for a few rare instances). Even if openings and endings require twice the bitrate, you're going to use about 34mb total on opening and ending for a 175mb encode.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote