AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-10-10, 23:54   Link #1
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Matrix Online- an Animesuki crew?

Hey, as an admitted Matrix junkie, I've been looking into prebuying the Matrix Online and getting in on the Beta in November. I've also read some stuff about where the story will pick up in the initial launch

Spoiler:

Anyway, I was wondering whether anybody was planning on playing the Matrix Online themselves. Also, if so, I was wondering whether anyone thinks a crew of fellow animesuki-veterans might be a good idea. I know everybody here better than I do on any other forum, so I thought this might be a good place to start...

I've never played an MMORPG before, but I just can't pass up the opportunity to get in on anything that might include semi-legitimate matrix storylines- the story is being written in part by the Wachowski brothers. I've seen some screenshots- looks pretty darn good to me!
Old 2004-10-11, 01:23   Link #2
hamiko_san
September Jellyfish

10 things more, you never know.

Last edited by hamiko_san; 2007-12-25 at 16:22.
hamiko_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-11, 01:44   Link #3
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

The idea isn't to have a fluid battle system- if you want that, go and play Enter the Matrix- underrated IMHO. The idea here is to take on a role in something that is as close to a real-life Matrix as you may ever get and follow (and perhaps influence) the story that details the events after Revolutions- I can't WAIT to see what happened to everybody. Perhaps I'm the only Matrix dork on this forum....

As far as the battles go, though- they do look VERY nicely animated.
Old 2004-10-12, 05:59   Link #4
Gevurah
What you say?!?!

I think it will be interesting to see how they handle this massive story. I was reading on IGN how there will be basically 3 factions (the Machines, Zion, and the "outcasts" like the Merovingian, did I spell that right?) you can eventually join. I think I'll wait after the beta to see how people respond to this. I've been looking for a story driven MMORPG for quite some time now and it seems like this will be it. I mean, I've played Ragnarok Online (which took up way too much time, but was very fun), FF11 (which took up even more time and was ridiculously slow, me = no patience), PSO 1&2 (yay, still waiting for 3 in the mail), and stupid Dia-blow.

If it does turn out to be really good, I'll hop on the bandwagon. That'll be funny if we got a group together and called our ship the A-suki.

"I appear to be a plushie, but my heart is that of a wolf." - Kon
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-12, 08:33   Link #5
Ending

Oh, great; now there isn't only one 'The One', but also Teh_One, The1, The0ne, Neo, N3o, n30, Ne0*, Neon, and -of course- "The True Neo."
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-12, 10:13   Link #6
hamiko_san
September Jellyfish

10 things more, you never know.

Last edited by hamiko_san; 2007-12-25 at 16:22.
hamiko_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-12, 17:44   Link #7
phatcat

Matrix Online beta is out for Fileplanet subscribers. ^_^
I'm downloading it right now.
phatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-13, 06:07   Link #8
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gevurah
I think it will be interesting to see how they handle this massive story. I was reading on IGN how there will be basically 3 factions (the Machines, Zion, and the "outcasts" like the Merovingian, did I spell that right?) you can eventually join. I think I'll wait after the beta to see how people respond to this. I've been looking for a story driven MMORPG for quite some time now and it seems like this will be it.
yeah, you spelled it right . Anyway, if you're looking to see how people respond to the story development, then the Beta isn't going to help you. The Beta only lets you take on some low level missions and build up skills some just to let you see how the character building part of the game works. The story part of it won't begin until the official launch, and it looks quite intriguing. I plan to pre-buy the game because you get:
1. access to the beta beginning Nov. 18
2. access to the real game 3 days before everybody else, and
3. an advanced ability- the Hyper Jump- guess what it does (think Trinity/Morpheus and you'll be doing fine).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiko_san
i know you have good intensions but a matrix game would not be very good if the fighting system is not fun...you know? i mean i loved the matrix movies because of the awsome battle scenes, so it woudn't be very fun to click on something and hopes he dies first than you do. I call it "sit back and relax' system.I am not saying i hate it, in fact i love it, take RO for example..sadly it has been the best MMORPG i have played since FFXI.For games like RO is ok to have that fighting system, but for the matrix - a no-no.
I did mention in my post that the fighting in MO, while not a real-time hack and slash system, will be very appealing. I just watched a new trailer where the action looked pretty darn sweet. It's just that when your character pulls off a bullet-time swan-kick, you won't be directly pressing the button in real-time that makes her/him perform it. But you should check out Enter the Matrix, too .

I'd get in on the Beta now, like the above poster is doing, but I don't want to shell out the money for the fileplanet subscription. I figure, if I'm going to preorder the game for 50, I'd rather not slap another 15 onto that just so I can play the beta 1 month sooner.
Old 2004-10-13, 06:13   Link #9
Gevurah
What you say?!?!

I have Enter the Matrix. Not as good as it could be, especially with the one on one fights, but I'm not complaining. I dodged bullets and knew kung fu.

"I appear to be a plushie, but my heart is that of a wolf." - Kon
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-13, 06:28   Link #10
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gevurah
I have Enter the Matrix. Not as good as it could be, especially with the one on one fights, but I'm not complaining. I dodged bullets and knew kung fu.
Not to get on a completely different tangent here, but, yeah, I know what you're talking about. That extra one-on-one multiplayer mode is what you're talking about, right? Actually, that was purely just an extra- the PC version didn't even have it. I thought the single player parts, though, were very well implemented- didn't deserve all of the flack they got. I don't know what people were expecting (some kind of virtual reality where they could become Neo, perhaps?). I thought the gameplay really succeeded as well in out-maxpayne-ing the Max Payne games. Atleast ETM offered a wide array of moves to perform in bullet time, while MP was little more than a ton of bullet-time shooting dives (although I very much enjoyed the Payne games). Similar to what you said, any game that lets me dodge bullets can't be too bad in my book- throw in kung-fu on top of that.....
Old 2004-10-13, 14:24   Link #11
phatcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit
I'd get in on the Beta now, like the above poster is doing, but I don't want to shell out the money for the fileplanet subscription. I figure, if I'm going to preorder the game for 50, I'd rather not slap another 15 onto that just so I can play the beta 1 month sooner.
I download ALOT of mods, games, and demos, so I subscribed to fileplanet over a year ago to get the nice speeds. Free betas and games are just an extra perk.
Old 2004-10-13, 16:49   Link #12
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatcat
I download ALOT of mods, games, and demos, so I subscribed to fileplanet over a year ago to get the nice speeds. Free betas and games are just an extra perk.
yeah, that's what I figured. If I joined now, it would be solely for that Beta. Let us know what you think of the Beta (although nothing is going to keep me from pre-ordering). Oh, and I'm sure that- experienced gamer as you seem to be- you are well aware that the finished product will play and look much smoother than the beta.
Old 2004-10-13, 18:15   Link #13
phatcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit
yeah, that's what I figured. If I joined now, it would be solely for that Beta. Let us know what you think of the Beta (although nothing is going to keep me from pre-ordering). Oh, and I'm sure that- experienced gamer as you seem to be- you are well aware that the finished product will play and look much smoother than the beta.
I'm well aware of the diffrence between a beta in terms of experience and overall gameplay.
For example it tends to be easier to level, and craft in Betas so that testers can test aspects of the game quicker.