AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Tales of...

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2016-07-24, 23:14   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Tales of Zestiria the Cross - Weekly Episode-to-Game Comparison [Spoilers]

As the title of this thread suggest, the purpose here is to allow discussion which compares the content between an anime episode as it aired and how it is laid out in the source material the anime was adapted from. All spoilers are allowed as long as it is relevant to the discussion at hand. It will be helpful if the posters clearly indicate the episode number before engaging into a detailed comparison to the source material. Obviously you are required to watch the episode prior to posting here. Thread is open to everyone, but since the game players are expected to participate, the anime-only viewers are advised to use discretion before venturing into this thread.

For the Tales of Zestiria Game Players: Please do your darndest best to stay on topic when engaging into these comparison. Whenever you see one of your fellow game players is spewing spoiler for no apparent reason, feel free to tell him/her to stop. Report such post so a moderator can delete the off-topic post.

Have fun!

IMPORTANT MOD NOTE: Discussion of the "Alisha Controversy" related to the Tales of Zestiria game is completely forbidden in all anime threads. This is a flammable and cyclic topic and the anime needs to be judged on its own merits. All discussion that relates to this point in Zestiria anime threads will be deleted, and the posters may be infracted or banned.
Old 2016-07-24, 23:54   Link #2
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Replying to a post made in the Zestiria anime thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Liked the episode. Interesting how they're expanding Lunarre's role so much. Now he's more than just a random annoyance with no meaning.

And for the record, he was so insignificant in the game I had to go look his name up.
I doubt it's a coincidence that his increased presence in the anime accompanies Alisha's increased focus. (And what seems to be the setup for her staying in the party this time)
As I said before in the anime thread, I suspect he was intended to be an antagonist for Alisha in the game before....you know. (Furthermore evidenced by how he was the main antagonist in the Alicha after story DLC) So without her, Lunarre's presence in the game also decreased.
Old 2016-07-24, 23:55   Link #3
coded321
He Who Games

so far, for me, it seems like the anime will be the ToZ story done right. its kinda like, the game's story was the rough draft, and the anime is the final draft, with all the conflicting, confusing, or awkward stuff hopefully fixed or changed.
Old 2016-07-25, 01:12   Link #4
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
I'll clarify that it wasn't technically a Dragon. It was a Drake.

They changed quite a bit from the game, but I am enjoying it more this way!
I still say using a quasi-dragon there is somewhat problematic. A problem that could have been avoided entirely by using literally anything that isn't dragon-like.
Old 2016-07-25, 04:56   Link #5
xeviouses

I have mixed feelings regarding the dragon.

On one hand its a nice way to introduce Sorey's status as a Shepard and Armitization, plus the havoc created by the dragon-drake(whatev) obscured his new form just enough.

On the other hand they could achieve the same thing and make Sorey more heroic if they used Lunarre plus some other hellions.
Old 2016-07-25, 08:05   Link #6
Harbinger
Squirrel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I still say using a quasi-dragon there is somewhat problematic. A problem that could have been avoided entirely by using literally anything that isn't dragon-like.
Yeah.

Drake/Dragon is what you get when
Spoiler for Dragon/Drake origin according to the game:
Old 2016-07-25, 08:54   Link #7
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Replying to a post made in the Zestiria anime thread:

I doubt it's a coincidence that his increased presence in the anime accompanies Alisha's increased focus. (And what seems to be the setup for her staying in the party this time)
As I said before in the anime thread, I suspect he was intended to be an antagonist for Alisha in the game before....you know. (Furthermore evidenced by how he was the main antagonist in the Alicha after story DLC) So without her, Lunarre's presence in the game also decreased.
Possibly. Or at the very least, they realized they can use him for that since he was in her DLC. I always figured he was an unsuccessful attempt at the "annoying repetitive enemy" trope like Zagi from Vesperia.
Old 2016-07-25, 12:51   Link #8
Jaden

The game is pretty long, but there's a lot of content that can and should be abbreviated for anime, especially the dungeons and artifact collections of which there are more towards the end. Also there isn't really any need to progressively power up Sorey, he can be Jesus from the start...his challenge is never so much the toughness of his enemies, but the weight of the decisions he is forced to make.

There will be plenty of time in season one to mess with Velvet, then have a climax when Sorey first clashes with the main villain. Then in season two, conclude the character arcs and save the world.

About the drake, I agree it seems like a plot hole. Corrupted seraphs are supposed to turn into those, which happens 3 times in the story. If the Seraph that later becomes territory lord of Ladylake was around, then it would have made sense...but it just kinda materialized out of nowhere...
Old 2016-07-25, 13:05   Link #9
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
Yeah.

Drake/Dragon is what you get when
Spoiler for Dragon/Drake origin according to the game:
Spoiler for answer:
Old 2016-07-25, 13:10   Link #10
Kazu-kun

I guess the anime is just doing its own thing in certain aspects. I don't mind. When it comes to Zestiria, about any change can be a good change. lol
Old 2016-07-25, 13:25   Link #11
coded321
He Who Games

maybe the hellion simply took the same or similar shape as a dragon, but was not the same as an actual dragon or seraph turned hellion. besides its not like all the seraph hellions had a purely dragon form, like that one seraph in the game who took the shape of an elephant as a hellion.
Old 2016-07-25, 13:34   Link #12
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

It just means he was still pretty far from being a dragon. Not enough malevolence. It made purifying him relatively easy.

And yeah, maybe it was just a normal hellion that happened to look like a dragon. I still say it'd have been simpler to just make it a giant beetle or whatever. Anything's scary when it's bigger than a car, breathes fire, and flies at you.
Old 2016-08-02, 11:59   Link #13
Harbinger
Squirrel Master

Episode 4 comparison with the game (kind of hard to do it but anyway)

Speculation about that giant Tornado! If you haven't played the game, don't bother checking the spoiler tag!

Spoiler for Game spoiler for potentially what/who is the Tornado:

That's what I am expecting.
Old 2016-08-02, 12:39   Link #14
GDB

That would make a lot of sense, but aren't the next two episodes supposed to be Velvet's interlude? Though I suppose there doesn't have to be an in-story reason to cut to said interlude, since the game will come out less than a week after the second episode.
Old 2016-08-02, 12:45   Link #15
Harbinger
Squirrel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
That would make a lot of sense, but aren't the next two episodes supposed to be Velvet's interlude? Though I suppose there doesn't have to be an in-story reason to cut to said interlude, since the game will come out less than a week after the second episode.
Yeah, the next 2 episodes are supposed to be about Velvet. However, if it explains the beginning of Calamity/Malevolence, then it will still be useful knowledge.

Some events are linked. When we see those events happen, we should be able to connect the dot.

The real reason, however, is that this Anime is there to promote their upcoming game (thus increasing sales) while also potentially increasing sales for their already released games.
Old 2016-08-14, 14:06   Link #16
Sides

Hopefully we will see more in the anime playing in the Berseria timeline.
Spoiler:
Old 2016-08-15, 01:49   Link #17
Harbinger
Squirrel Master

I've been thinking about it and I think that Seres has no chance of being Lailah after-all.

Spoiler for Divine Artifact:
Old 2016-08-21, 10:47   Link #18
Sides

I enjoy the changes this week, especially the temporary depature of Mikleo from the party. Cannot wait to see Mikleo soloing and getting his own relic.
Depending how to anime proceeds Edna might be already in the party before Mikleo rejoins the group, which could cause some fun moments.
Old 2016-08-21, 11:54   Link #19
Arkard

There's definitely a huge departure from the game, but I think it's for the better. A straight adaption would've actually been pretty bad imo.
Old 2016-08-21, 18:47   Link #20
Harbinger
Squirrel Master

Yeah, they are merging multiple things into one. That's for the best!
Closed Thread