AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-07-17, 00:54   Link #9661
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas Free Zone View Post
Better question, how much do they need cargo delivered to some distant location right freakin' now that they have aerial tanker? They're schools, not mercenary companies.... though that would be quite an idea for a spinoff story.
Yeah, that's probably a forced fit for the sake of the movie's Rule of Cool approach to that subject (in this case, ugliness gets pushed into back corner).

If we are to accept they have 6 very big cargo planes, they'll probably get more out of them in most scenarios if they just went for 6 C-5Ms and loaded them lighter instead of max loading one and then using a bunch of tankers to make up the deficit.

What I'm really interested in however, is what book is this? I bought the Complete Guide and another one, but neither of them have this pretty diagram.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-17, 03:15   Link #9662
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

When they say Saunders was rich, they were not kidding.

The Super Connie is really cool though. I would guess they use those passenger planes to get the students, parents, and other people Saunders takes with them, to the matches.

The Tristar would be for international flights I'd guess.

The U2's would be to see what other countries schools are doing in preparation for the Internationals. Also maybe to pirate their sports matches.
Old 2016-07-17, 03:23   Link #9663
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

The Super Connie is for the principal and for VIP flights. The interior is modified, don't be surprised if it resembles Airforce 1.
Old 2016-07-17, 06:46   Link #9664
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
The Super Connie is for the principal and for VIP flights. The interior is modified, don't be surprised if it resembles Airforce 1.
Works as a historical nod. (Though that's not a Super Constellation, this was.)
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-17, 09:19   Link #9665
inisipis

There are so many fantastic scenes in the movie, some are heart-warming, some are amazing action, but my favorite random scene would be this.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Alisa's face at the end is priceless.
inisipis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-17, 17:22   Link #9666
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by inisipis View Post
There are so many fantastic scenes in the movie, some are heart-warming, some are amazing action, but my favorite random scene would be this.

Images

The little things like this make me wish we got at least an OVA episode for each of the other notable GuP schools and see a little SoL with them, and a tank battle with them at the center.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-17, 18:28   Link #9667
Gabrinius
Hic !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
The little things like this make me wish we got at least an OVA episode for each of the other notable GuP schools and see a little SoL with them, and a tank battle with them at the center.
well, you can check the manga "motto motto sakusen desu" (or something like that) for slice of life 4 komas with all the schools.
Old 2016-07-17, 19:10   Link #9668
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:

Images

Alisa.

So much for the hamburger, lol.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 05:19   Link #9669
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Momo-chan
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 14:57   Link #9670
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post

Momo-chan
All three!
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 16:40   Link #9671
Wandering Soul

Quote:

Images

I just love how Kay pretty much has that section in the middle to herself and yet still takes a huge chomp out of that burger.
Old 2016-07-19, 12:03   Link #9672
inisipis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post

Momo-chan
Calling on Sigmund Freud, we've got a case for you.

Momo-chan my Waifu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
I just love how Kay pretty much has that section in the middle to herself and yet still takes a huge chomp out of that burger.
Indeed. After chewing down a mouthful of Actas II pop-corn, her eyes quickly zoomed in on poor Alisa's burger. It didn't stand a chance.
Old 2016-07-19, 13:01   Link #9673
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Kay has to keep the Whoppers full after all.
Old 2016-07-19, 15:22   Link #9674
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
That'll be crossing a line, and one thing about transport aviation is that it isn't that expensive considering what it does compared to combat equipment. Further, with transport planes you can recoup costs by selling services.

But I must wonder at these procurement decision.

The V-22s were obviously pushed on them by the US trying to show how safe Ospreys are (if a school is using them... they must be safe to use near Okinawa), but the least comprehensible was the Super Constellation and the Tristar. I mean, OK, so the VIPs ride the prop plane and the regular students ride in the jet ? Really? Don't you think buying a few bizjets, say a Gulfstream, would be a better alternative than the prop-clunker?
Maybe in that world, the fact it's an antique lends it some serious cachet. More than it would in ours.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-24, 01:32   Link #9675
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Just confirmed at WonFes:

Last edited by wavehawk; 2016-07-24 at 07:54.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-28, 00:17   Link #9676
skaianDestiny

An anon on /ak/ is translating the databook entries on the schools, so far they've done Gloriana and Maple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Gloriana
Title
Rival Team Research

Red Square
1st

Top Right
Though much is at stake, the tankers look forwards to the battle. They shine in their strive to to deepen their friendship and love through friendly competition. Here, we introduce Oarai Girls School, St. Gloriana Girl's High School, and the others that have made the National Senshado Tournament an unforgettable experience.

Paragraph 1
Hailing from the Port of Yokohama, St. Gloriana Girls High School is a distinguished institution that emphasizes the importance of formality and etiquette of the English. It is one of the schools who is held in high regards in the prestigious sport of Senshado. With sociability a high priority, regular formal parties are not uncommon. Due to this, many students are ready to host a tea party at any time.

Paragraph 2
Due to their traditional ways, most team captains of St. Gloriana prefer to utilize the more conservative infantry tanks over the more aggressive cruiser tanks. Tanks of foreign design that were in British service will not be considered in matches.

Because St. Gloriana takes pride in its tradition, the crews are very skilled in the vehicles used today, but have trouble commanding unfamiliar vehicles, even vehicles that are British in origin.

Currently in use are the Churchill Infantry Tank Mk. VII, the Matilda Infantry Tank Mk II, and the Crusader Tank Mk. III and Mk. IV. Due to the Mk. IV needing repairs, only the Mk. III appeared in the tournament.

Though many other British vehicles have heavier firepower than the Matilda II, there has been a staunch opposition to completely replace them by the nostalgic alumni.

For training the Light Tank Mk.6 is used.

Due to the rather secretive nature of St. Gloriana’s Automotive classes the exact numbers and models of the vehicles they possess are a mystery, including many rare and prototype vehicles.

Paragraph 3
Along with regular studies, St. Gloriana heavily promotes other activities such as sports, the arts, and various volunteer work. To graduate with only academic achievements is difficult, enrollment and showing dedication in elective classes is a must. This also applies to potential students wishing to enroll into St. Gloriana. Though Senshado is a large factor in attracting students, such is the reputation of the Tea Garden that some enroll for that reason only.

Many members of the Tea Garden are also members of the Senshado team, with the senior members usually crewing the higher-ranking positions such as Commander or Gunner.

Members of the Tea Garden are unmatched in the subject of manners, formalities, and social behavior, along with extremely good academic grades. Many choose Senshado as a way of joining the Tea Garden, with their ultimate goal being presented the chance to share a name with a type of tea. However, the individual’s skill in a tank does not guarantee entrance.

Even after graduation, the members of the Tea Garden still have much influence in the school, occasionally donating sums of money along with opinions on how the school should be run. In addition, there are three rather influential organizations run by the alumni that promote the use of their chosen tank, these are the Matilda Club, the Churchill Club, and the Crusader Club.

To be invited to the Tea Garden for a tea party is considered one of the highest honors that could be bestowed to a student of St. Gloriana. These parties are usually held to prepare the next generation of Senshado tank crews.

While St. Gloriana prides itself as the school for the elite, excessive gaudiness and extravagance is looked down upon, especially at tea parties. For these occasions, simple, yet elegant clothing is desired. Like one’s clothing, manners and behaviors are to be kept humble and respectful. How one gracefully stands and speaks has more importance than any kind or amount of flattery or pomp.

Still, their high-class appearance and countless customs have brought them a reputation as a rather prideful group by other schools, which sometimes makes inter-school relations and relations with the rest of the country somewhat difficult. Another reason is that the English culture is very difficult to understand compared to the other schools or the culture of Japan.

Paragraph 4
Their obsession with tea and lack of care with actual meals is often the butt of jokes at other schools.

Paragraph 5
Their preferred strategy is a slow but unbreakable assault with the goal of breaking enemy lines all while seeing how neatly they can keep their ranks while doing so. Due to their doctrine emphasizing concentrated fire, St. Gloriana tanks usually keep together in large groups. Due to, and because of, the slow relative speed of their tanks, shooting on the move is both required and an advantage, allowing for somewhat accurate fire while charging towards the enemy. The crews must trust and understand their leader, and the leader must trust and understand her crews for this tactic to work. To master and to pass on this knowledge is thought to be the highest priority before one graduates.

Overall, victories and defeats are considered less important than a fair and honorable match with a similarly honorable rival. To give praise to the victor as the defeated, or to give praise to the defeated as the victor is the St. Gloriana way.

Bottom Right
The Tankers of St. Gloriana

Darjeeling
Birthday is September 17th, is currently 17 years old.
Blood Type AB.
From Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture, current residence is at the Woman’s Dormitories of St. Gloriana. Girl’s High School.
Good grades overall, does best in English Classes.
Her favorite snack and drink is Yorkshire Pudding and Darjeeling.
Favorite Quote “With Good Conduct, comes Great Beauty.”

Orange Pekoe
Birthday is July 10th, is currently 16 years old.
Blood Type is O.
From Yokohama, current residence is at the Woman’s Dormitories of St. Gloriana.
Good overall grades, but has trouble in Arithmetic classes.
Likes a snack called Boku Raifuru, and also enjoys and Orange Pekoe-grade Black Tea.
Favorite Quote “A Person Who is not Happy is no Different than One that has Nothing.”

Assam
Birthday is December 8th, currently 17 years old.
Blood Type is O.
From Yokohama, current residence is at the Woman’s Dormitories of St. Gloriana.
Grades are excellent, but has trouble in Chinese Classical Literature classes.
Enjoys eating Ginger Nuts and drinking Assam Tea.
Favorite Quote “The Truth conquers All.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple High School
Paragraph 1
Maple High School

From the Port of Tomakomai, Hokkaido.

The story of Maple High School begins in 1877, when Manzo Nagano, the first Japanese immigrant to Canada, arrived in British Colombia. A few short years later, over 10,000 Japanese had immigrated to Canada, and by 1889, the number of Japanese immigrants was so significant in a few cities that their local governments were forced to enact a bread ration. In an effort to ease tensions, the Canadian and Japanese governments began talks to begin a new international relationship. The Canadian ambassadors on a diplomatic mission soon arrived in Japan, and various schools began an international program to begin teaching western culture and values.

In 1929, the Canadian embassy in Tokyo opened and began cooperation with various economic and industrial districts. It was noted that the general climate of Hokkaido was very similar to Canada.

There was great cooperation and many advancements in the fields of Art and music, culture, and forestry, and through Canadian assistance Hokkaido’s fishing industry flourished and their mutual relationship eventually culminated in a joint Canadian-Japanese school. Hokkaido is split horizontally into two areas with different regional governments, and after an unfinished school ship was purchased from the United Kingdom, the school on the southern half was named Maple High School.

Due to the great number of trees, Maple High School is known as the ship with the most natural environment compared to the other school ships. They have a healthy Senshado program, which focuses on maneuver tactics rather than heavy firepower or armor.

Paragraph 2
Their main force consists of Ram Cruiser Tanks and Grizzly Cruiser Tanks. They also possess the Valentine Tank and other Infantry Tanks along with various light tanks, but they are rarely used.
skaianDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-30, 00:41   Link #9677
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Being familiar with Canada, I will be expecting the Canadian school to place an emphasis on ice hockey, have a strong maple syrup manufacturing club, and have at least a few Tim Hortons on board their school ships. If the resulting text does not feature those things, I'm going to cast doubts on its authenticity, eh?
Old 2016-07-30, 01:17   Link #9678
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
Being familiar with Canada, I will be expecting the Canadian school to place an emphasis on ice hockey, have a strong maple syrup manufacturing club, and have at least a few Tim Hortons on board their school ships. If the resulting text does not feature those things, I'm going to cast doubts on its authenticity, eh?
Yeah, that would be a great sight. I would like to see the girls playing hockey, even if that's just ball hockey on roller skates in days when it's a little warmer outside. I also expect a stock of maple syrup to be in the exchange of gifts between Maple and Ooarai.
Old 2016-07-30, 12:43   Link #9679
inisipis

It's great we get more details regarding the students of St. Gloriana, like the one that they are more of a Tea appreciation club foremost, Senshado is just a bonus. So being named as a tea variety is a great honor indeed. Though I don't get why're they're based in Yokohama. I'd expect Saunders be based there, since the US naval base is there.

It'll be interesting to see Maple team. Being one who lived and studied college in Vancouver BC. I sure like to see what Canadian tropes they would use, eh. I'd expect they'd probably also use a Sherman since a lot of them where also made there. I remember the two Shermans parked by the street in downtown Vancouver that I always pass by on my way to school.

Another one of my random fave scenes from the movie.
Images
Old 2016-07-30, 15:35   Link #9680
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see Maple team. Being one who lived and studied college in Vancouver BC. I sure like to see what Canadian tropes they would use, eh. I'd expect they'd probably also use a Sherman since a lot of them where also made there. I remember the two Shermans parked by the street in downtown Vancouver that I always pass by on my way to school.
Those Shermans you saw probably are the aforementioned Grizzly I tanks. Basically, the Grizzly is a Canadian-made Sherman with thicker and more heavily sloped armour, longer range, and fitted with rubberless Canadian Dry Pin (CDP) tracks. Some of them can be fitted with the Firefly's 17-pounder gun as well.

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks