AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-03-02, 07:53   Link #161
cramped
asexual, cynic, pessimist

To be exact I find google translate a bother (since I use them 10-20 percent of the time anyway on one that I am totally clueless and mostly just to find the meaning of a certain word). Yeah, but is like you said those people that does it sure have a lot of tenacity or a knack for it. Currently trying to improve my chinese since I suck at word usage and stuff like the preview of ch1 sugar dark on baka-tsuki like this part from vol4.

Quote:

(Linda……)
(……She……)
Lying on the bed Banri opened his eyes up wide.
Linda, she --.
On his cheek he could feel the heat of his breath suddenly rousing him into a state of panic.
Turn out it was a dream after all.
The heat accumulated inside his body had yet to gone away, were it to be a dream the sensation was too real, his heart was also beating fast.
All the way up to the towel on his head it had been soaked with sweat, in this dimly-lit room, it is immersed in his own body odor, the form of the body curling up from the hands to the feet, gave off an impression of an animal hiding in its shelter.
Wanting to roll his body around, in accordance with the time when his face was being exposed, the mobile phone alarm besides his pillow rang out.
It is morning already huh.
The world in front of his eye, was in fact his own familiar room.
Living alone in his room, the interior of the room was painted in light-beige color interwoven with white texture.
Taking a look Banri came to realize that the situation in his room was very chaotic even though it was his own doings. Banri didn’t get up immediately instead he continued to lie there looking around. In front of the television was an open notebook, a half-drink water bottle, chopsticks still in the snack bag. Due to not wanting to dirty his hands Banri used the chopsticks to eat potato chips. In regard to the matter in using his own chopsticks he found it very troublesome thus when he was buying potato chips, like people who are buying lunchbox, at the counter he would say “Give me a pair of chopsticks!”, till this day he had never been refused.
For the center of the computer chair, a charger, chewing gum, bag, manga, taken off socks, used tissue papers; not knowing how the used tissue papers ended up forming a dirty milky way look-alike, on the outside was taken-off clothings, handout copies, a loosely stack of papers, leaflets from the mailbox, all of these objects which had yet to be sorted were scattered all over the place.

Last edited by cramped; 2013-03-02 at 10:57. Reason: I don't even know it myself.
cramped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-02, 23:08   Link #162
l.kostas

This google translate service isn't meant to be used to translate a book. It is to translate a web page so that you can get an idea and navigate. The link to that translation is only here and at the Baka Tsuki forum and it had 130 downloads within a month. I guess the story makes them really curious and want to at least take a glimpse at the next parts until they have a regular translation.

Last edited by l.kostas; 2013-03-03 at 04:03.
l.kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-03, 06:34   Link #163
rpapo

Actually, viewing the post with the translation excerpt above, I am rather surprised how well that section turned out. GT must do a better job against Chinese than it does against Japanese. With equivalent sections from my raw transcript for Golden Time in Japanese, most sentences turn out bad, let alone whole paragraphs or pages.

Lest anybody think that a transcript of Golden Time in Japanese exists out there in public, as far as I know, no such animal exists. You can find scanned images of the pages out at JCafe, but I don't use those. I have the actual books, and make my transcripts myself as a sort of self-inflicted torment rather akin to what body-builders put themselves through. In my case, the purpose is to build up my linguistic neurons.

It helps me to learn the kanji.
rpapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-03, 07:35   Link #164
cramped

It depends on each individuals I think for me I think that if you learn chinese you somehow kinda get japanese as a bonus if you study further.Still I am stuck at a bog right now coz I can't remember even the hiragana.
Old 2013-03-03, 13:00   Link #165
rpapo

Here's a site with a pair of drag-and-drop games for helping to learn the kana. I beat on them until I had the kana beat . . . four years ago now.

http://www.csus.edu/indiv/s/sheaa/pr...nki/index.html
Old 2013-03-04, 00:27   Link #166
cramped

Thx rpapo, will try it out when I have the time.
Old 2013-03-17, 10:05   Link #167
Miraluka
Banned

Well, good news, the novels got green lit for an anime adaptation.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 11:56   Link #168
Shadow5YA

I'm not sure whether that's good news since the novels aren't finished so there is no telling whether they'll stick to the story or go for a filler ending.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 12:08   Link #169
rpapo

Well, it really depends on how much of the story the author has rough-drafted already. This happened with Toradora too, in that the anime was long done being broadcasted by the time the book series was finished. The result: the ending was slightly different.

The anime differed from the novels in relatively small ways until the last episode, which was quite different from the books.

Similarly, the Golden Time manga is different from the novels in tone, though not in the basic sequence of events. The main difference (to my mind) is that the manga makes Linda much more flirtatous than she is in the books.
Old 2013-03-17, 12:37   Link #170
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Well, good news, the novels got green lit for an anime adaptation.
But the bad news is rpapo will spend the next year dealing with idiots posting, "It's been three hours since the last update? When's book 6 going to be translated?"
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 12:44   Link #171
rpapo

Well, lemme see: it took me from early October 2010 to the end of January 2012 to tranlate the first book. Sixteen months.

I started the second volume in mid-April 2012, and expect to finish it before the end of this month. Eleven and a half months, in spite of interruptions translating manga chapters (Evergreen, Golden Time, and some others: probably 12-15 chapters in all). Not fast, but faster than before.

Up til now, the question has been: When will the manga pass you up? (Answer: Probably early in 2014.) Now the question will be: When will the anime pass you up? Given that the anime will probably "pass up" the books, the answer will probably be "quicker".

Who knows? Maybe a better translator than I will get involved in the project too.
Old 2013-03-18, 14:31   Link #172
Sumeragi
Banned

I really need to read this.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 18:00   Link #173
xjobeyx

First off, thank you so much rpapo for taking the time to translate the novels, I am really enjoying them so far.
These past few days have been so nerve racking since volume 2 is coming to a close.
Why do you have to leave it off on such cliffhangers? Specifically today.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to do this. I really appreciate it.

Right as I posted this you finished up volume 2.
You're the best rpapo.
xjobeyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 18:06   Link #174
rpapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjobeyx View Post
First off, thank you so much rpapo for taking the time to translate the novels, I am really enjoying them so far.
These past few days have been so nerve racking since volume 2 is coming to a close.
Why do you have to leave it off on such cliffhangers? Specifically today.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to do this. I really appreciate it.
Just finished a few seconds ago. All that's left to volume 2 is the Postscript.

Actually, the author seems to have a knack for leaving cliff-hangers at the precise ends of the pages. These last few pages have been really fun to translate, too!

I never knew exactly where she was going until the very last word.
Old 2013-04-03, 02:12   Link #175
l.kostas

ePUB, mobi and pdf for volume 2 are available at Baka-Tsuki.

Because there were some changes at volume 1, especially since the manga was released and inspired by it, volume 1 was updated with the latest changes.

For android users there are 2 applications:
BakaReader:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ank.bakareader

and BakaReader EX:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mxucmVhZGVyIl0.

Last edited by l.kostas; 2013-04-04 at 04:03.
l.kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 16:41   Link #176
blade82

thanx rpapo i just finished vol2 and it was great but i have a little critique over Banri who for me was selfish with Kouko because it seems like he threatened her to accepted him (as a lover not a friend) or she'll never see him again and he knew that he was her only friend so that was my only disapointment and i know Banri is acting like that because of his amnesia and the fact that Linda hide her past with him

oh and good luck with vol3
blade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 16:50   Link #177
rpapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade82 View Post
thanx rpapoi just finished vol2 and it was great but i have a little critique over Banri who for me was selfish with Kouko because it seems like he threatened her to accepted him (as a lover not a friend) or she'll never see him again and he knew that he was her only friend so that was my only disapointment and i know Banri is acting like that because of his amnesia and the fact that Linda hide her past with him
I tend to agree that Banri was not being fair . . . but we don't know all his history yet. The prologue to volume 3 gives us a little bit more of that history. As Banri's Ghost noted near the end of volume 2, Banri may not consciously remember what happened before his accident, but he seems to unconsciously remember the most important parts.

Quote:
oh and good luck with vol3
18 pages done, 216 left to go.
Old 2013-04-27, 18:15   Link #178
blade82

about the ghost it seems that Banri noticed him already in vol2
blade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 18:22   Link #179
rpapo

Quote:
about the ghost it seems that Banri noticed him already in vol2
If you'll recall, there was a scene (replicated in the manga) in volume 1 where Banri was hunting for something without knowing what it was. The ghost at that time declared that Banri was searching for him.
Old 2013-05-10, 08:29   Link #180
alviam099

That, is kind of freaky if you want my opinion.

Is V6, Banri remembering things or flashbacks?

alviam099 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
college, dengeki bunko, love triangle, romance, school life, shounen