AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2013-04-22, 14:33   Link #601
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

I know it's rough to ask people to comb through like 30 hours of video for text. I should see if there's any way to get renpy to output a text dump or something.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 14:40   Link #602
Jaden

Well, it's still easier to fast forward through these videos than an actual game.

I wonder if a seperate thread for discussing this would be appropriate...
Old 2013-04-23, 10:54   Link #603
Drifloon

Really? I'd find it much easier to skim-read an actual VN than skim-watch a video, mostly because of how the music keeps stopping and starting and the fact that you actually have to pay attention to the timing rather than just hitting Enter whenever you want to move the text along.

But yeah, a text dump would be extremely helpful I think.
Drifloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 11:01   Link #604
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

It turns out there's a script/executable that can do exactly this. I'll run it once I'm home and then proofread/format it in some fashion depending on what the dump looks like. Thanks, Python!

Beholde, yon texte dumppe! According to Word it's roughly 161,000 words. I have no idea how long that is relative to canon episodes (nor is it done yet), but it'd make a fairly longish book. Yeesh. Note that most formatting is killed, including colored text, so things like the dream are an incomprehensible mess. Have fun with that.

Last edited by Renall; 2013-04-23 at 18:52.
Old 2013-04-24, 02:30   Link #605
Golden Bug-Hunter

My first reading is now complete.

There's no way I'm ready to challenge that epically huge list of questions after a single read. Battler is really amazing to go through it just once and be ready to fight the Summoner.

Still, bring forth the meta-brawl, because the red and blue fights are my favorite part.

Spoiler:
Golden Bug-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 02:43   Link #606
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Spoiler for Answer to The Witch's Game That Was Played:
Old 2013-04-24, 08:39   Link #607
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Bug-Hunter View Post
There's no way I'm ready to challenge that epically huge list of questions after a single read. Battler is really amazing to go through it just once and be ready to fight the Summoner.
At this point he's a freaking wizard, so I'll allow it. I'm a Genius Battler subscriber so I generally assume he's considerably more competent after End than before it, and that's where the story is set. Hopefully no one will object to making the canon protagonist genuinely competent for once... even if it may be a bit out of character.

But of course they're not really fighting. It's more like a boxing match than a brawl, so the stakes aren't as high as they are in canon and Battler can go at it a bit more loosely. It's not like anybody's life (or whatever you call it for meta people) is on the line.

Old 2013-04-24, 11:36   Link #608
Drifloon

Quote:
According to Word it's roughly 161,000 words. I have no idea how long that is relative to canon episodes (nor is it done yet), but it'd make a fairly longish book. Yeesh.
This made me curious about the actual episodes' word counts so I went and threw the scripts into Word to check them.
Episode 1 is about 100,000.
Episode 2 is about 125,000.
Episode 3 is about 110,000.
Episode 4 is about 150,000.
And Episode 5 is about 75,000.

Don't have scripts for the last three.

Unrelatedly, I love how the dream sequence reads when it all runs together.
Drifloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 12:32   Link #609
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

I knew Alliance went on and on and on, but I didn't realize it was twice as long as End.

I assume the longest episodes are Alliance and Twilight (just a guess, but ep8 is quite long). Anyway being slightly longer than Alliance is certainly surprising, but at least I'm not dramatically longer or shorter.

I like the way the text dump does extend lines. Whenever I have to break a line up for visual or audio effects

it jumps lines

like this.

I could've fixed that but meh. Worse yet, because Ren'py uses quotation marks as a mechanical feature to distinguish on-screen text from system commands, all quotation marks get stripped out by the text dumper. Fortunately I had a cunning plan for this, changing all in-line quotations (which have to be written out as \") into a character not used in the script (|), dumping the text, then ctrl+h replacing every | with a ".

I also forgot to compile a list of red/blue/gold text used so far but I deliberately made the red text about as useless as possible and I think there were all of two blue statements and one gold. Expect a lot more of all of that to come, and it'll actually be useful for once.

EDIT: Well here it is anyway for funsies.

Spoiler for Red Text:
Spoiler for Blue Text:
Spoiler for Gold Text:

Last edited by Renall; 2013-04-24 at 19:27.
Old 2013-05-01, 02:11   Link #610
Golden Bug-Hunter

Well, I haven't quite deciphered 1986, but here are my main theories about Redaction before the Tea Party settles things...

Spoiler for Golden Bug Hunter's Witch Hunt:

Still need to make better sense of the 80s, but that's a chunk of my thoughts for now. Hopefully I'm at least doing better than 'Small Bombs'.
Old 2013-05-01, 08:28   Link #611
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Bug-Hunter View Post
Well, I haven't quite deciphered 1986, but here are my main theories about Redaction before the Tea Party settles things...
Spoiler for Golden Bug Hunter's Witch Hunt:

Still need to make better sense of the 80s, but that's a chunk of my thoughts for now. Hopefully I'm at least doing better than 'Small Bombs'.
Much better than that. I do hope you keep looking into the '86 bit as well (especially as the two stories are meant to give insight into each other, so it might help figure out '96 as well), but I think you're on the right track in several places. Well, actually there's one or two things where you're nearly spot-on (like 90% in one place and 99.999% in another), but I did want to address your mythological chops...
Spoiler for The Son of Laertes:
It's important to remember that Andromalius is kind of petty. Well, okay, really petty.
Spoiler for A Question For You...:

Old 2013-05-01, 12:55   Link #612
Zork

Guess it's time to start taking shots before the tea party.

This could be embarrassingly wrong (or old news - I haven't really kept up well on what others have theorized), but the text dump won't open for me (says it's corrupt) and I can't really rewatch every video.
Spoiler:
Zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-01, 13:05   Link #613
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zork View Post
Guess it's time to start taking shots before the tea party.

This could be embarrassingly wrong (or old news - I haven't really kept up well on what others have theorized), but the text dump won't open for me (says it's corrupt) and I can't really rewatch every video.
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Kanon:
Spoiler for Shannon:
Spoiler for Nanjo:
Spoiler for Kinzo:
I'll see if I can't fix the text dump. It's in .doc format because Wordpress wouldn't let me upload anything else, but I can easily reconvert it back to .txt. Did you try right-click save-as, or are you on a system that can't open .doc files?

EDIT: Dunno if this will work any better. It's a .txt in a .zip, no guarantees that some of the text didn't get mangled in the process.

Old 2013-05-02, 02:40   Link #614
Golden Bug-Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Much better than that. I do hope you keep looking into the '86 bit as well (especially as the two stories are meant to give insight into each other, so it might help figure out '96 as well), but I think you're on the right track in several places. Well, actually there's one or two things where you're nearly spot-on (like 90% in one place and 99.999% in another), but I did want to address your mythological chops...
Spoiler for The Son of Laertes:
It's important to remember that Andromalius is kind of petty. Well, okay, really petty.
Spoiler for A Question For You...:
My myth chops are actually pretty lackluster on this score. I didn't recognize that name on my own, I googled it. Still..

Spoiler for The son of Laertes:

Oh, and for the other question...
Spoiler for The last bit of Howdunit:

Mmm, I still have some weaknesses though...

Spoiler for holes in my logic:
Old 2013-05-02, 12:36   Link #615
Zork

Thanks, that text dump helps a lot.

The events following dinner are much more chaotic so it's taking me quite some time to make sense of them. Just a couple points this time:
Spoiler:
Zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 14:07   Link #616
battle22

For people who are interested in Total Seacat Island here, We released another Episode ^^. Link is in my signature.
Old 2013-05-03, 14:44   Link #617
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by battle22 View Post
For people who are interested in Total Seacat Island here, We released another Episode ^^. Link is in my signature.
Total Seacats sounds really good. I tried downloading it once ages ago and ran into some bandwidth problems which stopped me, but maybe I should try again.

Looking at the website, the only downloading option I could find was a torrent. Is there a direct download available anywhere?
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 15:13   Link #618
battle22

Quote:
Total Seacats sounds really good. I tried downloading it once ages ago and ran into some bandwidth problems which stopped me, but maybe I should try again.

Looking at the website, the only downloading option I could find was a torrent. Is there a direct download available anywhere?
Hmm, nope, only Torrent. I'll try to upload it on mediafire, but I don't know if it'll work.

If you download the torrent, go after the EP5 one, it includes EP1-4 as well.
Old 2013-05-03, 15:53   Link #619
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Just how big are your files? I'm curious as I know there's various space-saving measures that can be undertaken but the size still tends to hover in the triple-digit MBs.

Old 2013-05-03, 16:11   Link #620
battle22

The whole thing is 2.90GB. 1GB from PS3 sprites, one more GB from BGM and the rest are bgs/sound effects/buttons ect.

Haven't heard about space saving methods.

Guess, I should google that. 2.90GB for a fangame IS insane lol.

Edit : Getting a second seeder on the Torrent. The DLL should be faster now GoldenLand.

Last edited by battle22; 2013-05-03 at 16:43.
battle22 is offline   Reply With Quote