AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-09-03, 16:08   Link #481
jal90

Right now I'm suffering the exact contrary process. I am still quite casual but my interest is growing...

I know there will be a moment in my life where I'm not anymore into anime, and maybe I will be able to retake it some years later. Like everything in life, hobbies/interests are not destined to be permanent, but rather to change.

Then again if the discussion is going to be about the current state of the industry then I guess my opinion is not very reliable; since being still casual means that I'm not ready to make a proper analysis on the evolution of anime as a whole. I can say that it is equally difficult for me to find a good anime now in 2013 than back in 2009 when I got into it, but that's it. I don't specifically look for newer or older stuff when I decide what to watch, just what my mood dictates.
jal90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 17:18   Link #482
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jal90 View Post
Like everything in life, hobbies/interests are not destined to be permanent, but rather to change.
Well, while I can see how interest in keeping up with whatever's hot/trendy with the "kids these days" may wane over time, to me anime is a medium not a genre. As long as there are interesting stories to be told (which I don't see changing), I'm not sure that I'd lose interest simply by virtue of it being animated in Japan. Then again, I'm not sure that I've totally lost interest in any of my other hobbies either, they just don't get as much time as they used to.
Old 2013-09-03, 17:23   Link #483
jal90

I didn't say otherwise. In fact if I'm able to enjoy anime it's because it is a medium; therefore being able to fit my mood in more ways than a single genre would. But still, I think it has some cohesion as a whole. I actually equal watching anime to watching live action or whatever kind of movies, or to actively listening at music, or reading novels.
Old 2013-09-03, 19:55   Link #484
Puddingman

It's interesting that you make the distinction between medium and genre. It makes me think of music. Of the people I've met, the ones who were into a specific genre of music faded out their interest, but the ones who're into MUSIC as a whole are always changing and growing; keeping where they were from but exploring new places.

I can def vibe this with anime. The more open you are to different experiences the more likely you are to stick with it as a whole.
Old 2013-09-03, 23:41   Link #485
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jal90 View Post
Like everything in life, hobbies/interests are not destined to be permanent, but rather to change.
Manga has been my choice of hobby for thirty years.
I don't see myself dropping it anytime in my life time.
Old 2013-09-03, 23:51   Link #486
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Aye, manga and light novels for the long term. Currently, I'm not watching more than 1-3 anime series a season and often I'm waiting until it's done so I can marathon and decide if it warrants the attention.
Old 2013-09-03, 23:58   Link #487
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Well, I think "Change" might means that you should accept the shift in style and plotline.

But do you guys think one of the reason for manga and novel could last long is because their distingtive characteristic to each other?
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-04, 00:01   Link #488
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think it's because they're books. I have to wonder about someone who grows out of books.

More seriously, written works (even manga) convey subtlety and nuance better. They can cover more complex relationships, plots, etc.

That's something *any* visual medium has difficulty matching.
Old 2013-09-04, 00:07   Link #489
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

it's not really because of which is more expressive, although sure, that's a part of it.

It really comes down to volume and range.
Manga covers a vast, VAST range of readership demographics, that there's no reason to "out grow" it.

Anime on the other hand, the vast majority of demand is for younger audience, and hence, extremely focused to cater the specific demographics. Like I said in another thread, popular seinen manga tend to become live action drama series instead of animation, largely due to the catering of demographics.

Anime can be out grown, the older you become, the less number of titles to cater to your interest, but manga is completely on different level of content.
I mean like incomparably larger. There are ten thousand different tankoubon collected manga volumes published a year.
Over 300 manga magazines are in publication.
Old 2013-09-04, 00:13   Link #490
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I vaguely recall reading somewhere that manga in Japan cuts through all the demographic boundaries. Kids, teenagers, salarymen, adult women, College students, there are some manga aimed at each of them.

Novels, at least in the western world, are much the same. There's novels for kids, for teenagers, for adults, for every sort of genre, gender, and age category imaginable.

Manga and novels are aimed at the masses. Nobody would say they've "grown out of novels", because its widely understood that novels is for the masses of all age and gender categories. People may lose interest in novels, but they don't "grow out of it".
Old 2013-09-04, 01:01   Link #491
jal90

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Of course there have to be tons of exceptions

My point is that anime is not something you can grow out of (I really hate that expression); but rather shift interests. And that it's only natural.
Old 2014-02-16, 22:08   Link #492
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

As long as my backlog is nonzero, I will not stop watching anime.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-07, 14:02   Link #493
arilando

Doesn't the number of old accounts in this very thread that are no longer active show that quite a few people do get tired of or "grow out of" anime?
arilando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-07, 14:29   Link #494
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by arilando View Post
Doesn't the number of old accounts in this very thread that are no longer active show that quite a few people do get tired of or "grow out of" anime?
Well, one's activity in ASuki and other communities does not necessarily correlate to how much one enjoys anime. Especially since ASuki's actively in general lately has been slowing down significantly.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-12, 03:06   Link #495
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Wha... Well, maybe certain kinds of anime like "fanservice = breasts" kind!

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-12, 14:07   Link #496
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Wha... Well, maybe certain kinds of anime like "fanservice = breasts" kind!

Of course, once you gain more mature tastes, you realize that the most attractive part of the female body can be summed up in two words: DAT ASS!

But in all seriousness, while some anime purely for fanservice of the breast and panty shot variety, I could see people growing out of, I doubt I will be growing out of anime any time soon. As for my thoughts on those type of anime- I always looked for something more than random flashes of breasts or panties in my anime, and generally watched for the plot or at least one or more characters I liked.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-12, 14:13   Link #497
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
You're never too old to ogle Chinese cartoons. You can lose the time to ogle Chinese cartoons though

But anyway, I've seen enough people 'grow out' of this hobby when they were clearly entering the 'anime isn't fun anymore!' phase and didn't know where to look. Woe to the search engine
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-12, 17:22   Link #498
IceHism

That's like saying you're going to grow out of films, books, or music. Aka, you don't. Your taste just gets more selective as you lose more time
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-12, 18:00   Link #499
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

I've been a fan for probably about fifteen years. My interest comes and goes, but I haven't grown completely out of anime quite yet....

though it's becoming more of a pain to watch everything
Old 2016-02-12, 20:18   Link #500
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
Of course, once you gain more mature tastes, you realize that the most attractive part of the female body can be summed up in two words: DAT ASS!

But in all seriousness, while some anime purely for fanservice of the breast and panty shot variety, I could see people growing out of, I doubt I will be growing out of anime any time soon. As for my thoughts on those type of anime- I always looked for something more than random flashes of breasts or panties in my anime, and generally watched for the plot or at least one or more characters I liked.
Well, that's on the right track I'd say.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote