AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-03-16, 09:04   Link #1
Bloodseeker

Shows that start off mediocre but get really good later on?

What are some anime that took a while to pick up?

Samurai Champloo: I didn't like the first half of this show, and I still don't. Its bores me, most of the plots are lame, and I can only think of one good fight. But the last half had some excellent fights and some really entertaining stories. I don't think that any of the later episodes bored me. Its one of my favorites now.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: This is the obvious one. The first half wasn't terrible, but it definitely wasn't the great show that's refered to by some as the show that breathed life back into the anime industry in Japan. Some fairly funny jokes, some alright fights (aside from the second episode; Unit 01 kicked that angel's ass!), and some social interactions that were just good enough to get some of the characters to grow on you. You never would have expected the show to take the turn down the dark drama path. I love it when they build up the characters in a semi-happy environment and let you grow attached to them and then just complete snap them in half at the end. The last five episodes or so before the final two are awesome.

Berserk: Again, its not bad at the beginning, but the character and story developement don't get really good until the middle episodes. At least there's people getting hacked up by a giant sword to keep you entertained until then.
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 11:27   Link #2
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
Narutaru: The first episode makes you think that you're in for another pokemon clone, but then we get a brief taster as to how disturbing the series will get later in the second episode. Then it gets boring for a while, and things start to get interesting with the Akira "nymphomaniac" thing starts, and of course the Hiro-chan arc. Wow.

Uta-Kata Again, the first few episodes suggest that it's gonna be typical fair, but then it gets slightly more twisted and wtf as the episodes go by, and more enjoyable to watch.

Mai Hime I had to force myself to watch the first 10 episodes. Starts to get good towards the whole "himelander" thing.

Air : Boring until the main story with Misuzu begins. Though I liked the character interactions since the beginning.

Mai Otome : Gets good much, MUCH later on =X
Scribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 12:57   Link #3
gknight
shounen ai

Send a message via ICQ to gknight Send a message via MSN to gknight
Gun X Sword: first 4 episodes were boring, stupid, stereotyped, etc, just bad. from there it starts to pick up with more interesting stories and character depth and from episode 10 the plot begins and it becomes so thrilling you want to watch till episode 26 in a row.

Ashita no Nadja: episodes 1-12 really boring, totally stupid, looks like the creators don't understand shit in what they do except for a few shines here and there (episode 5 and episode 8) but then from episode 13 it starts to grow on you and most of the episodes from there are so BRILLIANT i could never imagine the show would take me to such levels (50 episodes whole).

both of them are by now of my more-lovable animes.
gknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 13:19   Link #4
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Should they follow the original doujin game, I would say

Higurashi no Naku Koroni
At first, it'll start off like a normal "harem" show. Then the mystery and suspense will kick in, leaving you with a aching feeling to know more. Of course, this hasn't aired yet, so I will be looking very foward to how Studio Deen can pull off this masterpiece of a doujin game.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 13:57   Link #5
Calca
Expressionless

Secret of Cerulian Sand: First episodes are boring as hell, but then you get so drawn into the story that you want to marathon through it.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 14:37   Link #6
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

Wow no one mentioned Trigun

the begining episodes were soooooooooooooo crappy, that I did not feel like watching it. I was still curious why this show has such good ratings, and so I continued watching the show, and I got to know why the show deserves the rating it gets.
Mr.Hawq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 14:41   Link #7
Mephisto2k
anime4life

Mai Hime, Mai otome, scrapped princess and trinity blood are pretty much the same. they start off kinda happy and medicore if not boring, but after you forced yourself through the first 10 or so episodes the conflicts, hidden plot holes and deep interesting turningpoints come.
But i wouldnt see any off those on my fav list, but still they deelop into something pretty good compared to their beginning.
Mephisto2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 15:41   Link #8
Ilpalazzo-sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodseeker
What are some anime that took a while to pick up?

Samurai Champloo: I didn't like the first half of this show, and I still don't. Its bores me, most of the plots are lame, and I can only think of one good fight. But the last half had some excellent fights and some really entertaining stories. I don't think that any of the later episodes bored me. Its one of my favorites now.
I'm at Episode 7 now and yeah, I feel the same so far. I've started watching it because it is made by Shinichiro Watanabe (creator of Cowboy Bebop), but after episode 7, I still don't really like it except the fights and some gags. Stupid plots are annoying me too. I guess I have to hold on for a few more episodes.
Ilpalazzo-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 19:30   Link #9
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

I'll put up Nanoha, Narutaru, Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, Popotan, Canvas 2... Well, most animes I watch are like this. The way I see it, if it's over 26 eps and catches my attention right off the bat, it won't be able to hold it. If it's under that count it's likely gonna take an episode or 2 because they're focusing on strong character interaction.

Of course, there's exceptions to every rule.
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 22:28   Link #10
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

somedays dreamers, stratos 4, first season of bleach,
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 00:27   Link #11
Mousuke

Bleach- My favorite anime EVER, the first 16 episodes are just......well, they're not bad or anything, just kind of blah and predictable, but they're supposed to be. But once you get the fateful episode 16 the show takes off at a rush...and by the time you reach 30 there's just no turning back whatsoever. (Sounds like a shady drug, ne? ) You do have to watch the first 16 though, it sets up some important characters and the basis of the series.
Bleach is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (rabid fangirling ensues)
Mousuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 04:46   Link #12
Celes__

Definitely Kimi ga nozomu eien. The first episode was so boring that I thought about giving it up. But it totally changed from 2nd episode on.
Celes__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 06:17   Link #13
Sephiroth

Hmm I will have to say shuffle...

The first 9 or so episodes were boring(yawns) as it's the introduction of all the girls but the later part of the anime gets really interesting.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 09:46   Link #14
wao
OK.

Hm... for me, one would be Twelve Kingdoms - at first it seemed like a simply well-executed show about an average girl getting transported to another world as a queen, complete with Cool Bishies and Freaky Monsters and all. And then that average girl - Yoko - starts getting into the whole "waa I wanna go home" bit and I was really going to drop the show...

...then she starts to change and you suddenly see how everything fits into place, and as you progress with the character you somehow can't help but say "WOW". After that is the Kaname/Taiki arc, which bores some people (though I thought it brought out the development of a child quite well, although the most frustrating thing is that it is not resolved in the anime!!), but if you ended up liking the first arc then the third arc, which goes back to Yoko, then you're in for a very good show.

If you don't like other-world stories but prefer a more traditional Western fantasy setting such as old European-like cities and ballet and devious fairy tales, then Princess Tutu is one great one. Frankly speaking I wasn't impresed at all when I first watched the first season - it seemed kind of dull, and the ending was just.. yeah, meh, average. But by the end of teh 2nd season I ended up liking it very very much, even though I normally dislike such shows. I was getting close to tears by the penultimate episode... The show takes on a more serious tone and the story becomes rather interesting, and a bit deeper. Things start becoming a lot less happy too, yay...
Old 2006-03-17, 10:01   Link #15
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Rozen Maiden started off so-so, but from the second episode onwards, it just blew me away. Twenty-two episodes later, I'm still looking for more ... more!

That's the only anime so far in my mind. I've been quickly engrossed in other anime, or just really, really put off.

Samurai Champloo was interesting. I was hooked when I watched the premise. I was even hooked more when I saw the good ED. I was addicted when I watched episode eleven because of its beautiful rendition of George Benson's Appreciation, and because the sound was extremely apt for that bittersweet episode. I was totally in love with the series when I heard of Who's Theme, the ED of ep. 12. Though it doesn't really rank as high in my favorite anime list, it sure ranks well. When I watched the final episodes (Evanescent Encounter) ... I was a fanboy: OMGWTF8s00000r000xx00rzz!I7st3hs3xxx!BBQ!!!!!!1111 one ... yep.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 10:53   Link #16
Bloodseeker

This thread makes me feel like a complete anime n00b... out of all the shows listed here, the only ones that I've actually seen are the ones that I listed and Trigun. (I actually didn't mind the first episodes of Trigun, though it definitely did get better later)

But I guess that hanging on to anime DVDs from netflix for a couple months before sending them back and just now getting interested in anime torrents doesn't help... (the only torrent that I'd ever downloaded before a couple of days ago was the RAW of the first episode of the second season of Girls Bravo... kinda funny, even if I couldn't understand what they were saying; I wouldn't leave home without a tazer and beater bat in that world)

I HATE some of the music in Samurai Champloo, including the ED. Its depressing. It reminds me of purgatory for some reason.
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 12:39   Link #17
Mirtual

Mai HiME
Start was fine. Sweet drawings and funny moments, but was lacking a "real story" until about half of the series. After that it gets really amazing. (the end is not everyones taste though)
Bleach
Very boring beginning, and especially too stereotypical with way too much predictable story line. But it really gets awesome once the protagonist wents to "Soul society". After that point the story keeps getting good.
Kiddy Grade
Talk about slow starter...
The beginning is somehow pointless. Nothing is happening except for unasked fan service. But there is certain point after wich the real story starts to unfold. Nice plot twists good animation.
Trigun
I count this as a slow starter. The story needs quite some time to arrive at the audience, but after it does, it becomes a real good anime.

There are some more, but I am too lazy to type more right now.
Mirtual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 13:28   Link #18
lavielove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodseeker
I HATE some of the music in Samurai Champloo, including the ED. Its depressing. It reminds me of purgatory for some reason.
if that's happened to you, you should listen to that song again and again until you get familiar with it. To be honest I hate the OP song for Noein at first, then try to listen again and again.Now becoming used to it. The show that started off so badly and is awesome still by now is Eureka7. Many dropped the show because they thought it's a kid's show,suprisingly it turned out to be one of the best shows in 2005-2006.
lavielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 20:35   Link #19
Pleroma

Unfortunately that also means the slowest damn subbers in existance that fall 15 bloody weeks behind. Pathetic.

Anywho, I actually did like Eureka 7 right from the get go. As far as something to fir with the theme here, I'd definitely say Blood+ started less than ideally. I actually deleted the batch after a couple of episodes due to the slow pace and monster of the day setup. But later I was bored and decided to stick through a few more episodes and now it is a favorite of mine.

Nanoha also has some really crappy first couple of episodes before diving right into pure awsome and never looking back.
Pleroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 01:46   Link #20
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Wow not a single person has mentioned ZZ Gundam. Just Wow!

Oh and for the Mai Hime comment, for the record I aborted my attempts to watch the show around 5 minutes into episode 9 after that stupid goofy theme played again and the characters started getting REALLY annoying during the segment. Everyone tells me it gets better but I just couldn't take it anymore.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote