Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 06:08   Link #362
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNite
Planetes has a plot? WTF? Ep21,22,23
Spoiler:
Well, how about Rock Smith, and Hachimaki's father, and Hachimaki himself? Are they "good guy" or "bad guy"?

Spoiler:

Last edited by dreamless; 2004-04-10 at 06:20.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 06:18   Link #363
Kiro
chocolate overdose

Spoiler:

for example that terrorist attack in spain. yeah, a lot of people died. i wasn't shocked. a friend of mine was like "wtf, so many people died. don't you think it's terrible?". but why should i shead a single tear for some people who died in that terror attack in spain, when i know, that every day, millions of people in africa, asia and south america suffer and die. i would have to cry all day long if i had to find it in the least bit sad what happened in spain.

that doesn't mean that i think that terrorism is right. it's not. *sigh* it's hard to explain for me. my english just isn't enough for such a complex topc. :/
Kiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 06:22   Link #364
Seta

Send a message via ICQ to Seta Send a message via AIM to Seta
Just started watching yesterday (yes, I started really late ) and I regret not having seen it earlier. Easily the most underrated series of 2003 and now one of my favorites from that season. Maybe it's because I'm watching the bulk of the series in one run but I'm enjoying this alot more than Last Exile, Scrapped Princess, and all the other big name series last year. This series has the same charm that drew me to Cowboy Bebop and it's one of those series where it's hard to stop watching even though there isn't much of a plot (yet, since I'm still on episode 15). Great series indeed.
Seta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 06:24   Link #365
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiro
for example that terrorist attack in spain. yeah, a lot of people died. i wasn't shocked. a friend of mine was like "wtf, so many people died. don't you think it's terrible?". but why should i shead a single tear for some people who died in that terror attack in spain, when i know, that every day, millions of people in africa, asia and south america suffer and die. i would have to cry all day long if i had to find it in the least bit sad what happened in spain.

that doesn't mean that i think that terrorism is right. it's not. *sigh* it's hard to explain for me. my english just isn't enough for such a complex topc. :/
I know how you feel... I also feel somewhat similar. I mean, the Al Qaeda attack killed some thousands of innocent people, so what? everyday thousands of people die, whether because of famine, poverty, disease, or just stupidity (like driving a car drunk). Also if you believe that killing 100 people will save the lives of 10000 people, what will you do? it's the moral gray zone I guess.
Old 2004-04-11, 01:06   Link #366
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Yeah! Finally after watching this anime off and on, these last set of eps might push this anime off the so-so list. The previous episodes were too stand-alone for me to like it as much as I do now.

-k
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 01:53   Link #367
Za Paper

I almost gave up on this show in the beginning but the second half is some of the best stuff I've ever seen. I have to congratulate the writers for creating a futuristic world and characters with so much depth. It will be tough to wait for the final 3 eps.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 09:24   Link #368
vasiliki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Za Paper
Elde clearly describes it as a tongue piercing.

shita=tongue
I didn't know that the word "lingum" existed, only "lingam". Yup, you're right, she does say "shita ni suru" - it's definitely a tongue piercing. Pity that I burned the episode on a CD already. (if ANBU was faster! I'm waiting for their Naruto releases, but can't wait for everything)
vasiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 14:36   Link #369
Rias

wow seems that one alphabet changes the whole meaning...

however ANBU did make a pretty obvious mistake at epsiode 19, translating Lavie into Rabi...A-E had translated his name as Lavi all along, which i guess is acceptable if you just say Lavi is short for Lavie

if you check anbu version, epsiode 19, 00:37-00:38, 01:07-01:10

well, non-japanese names are usually hard to have an accurate translation anyway unless they indicate the offical translation somewhere on their website or in the show or something.

Also just watched epsiode 25

Spoiler:

Last edited by Rias; 2004-04-11 at 15:03.
Rias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 01:43   Link #370
dreamless

oh, and on top of the "terrorist" thing, I just want to add that it also shows the polarization of the rich and the poor. It's just like the cold war between the east and west, but now it's between the rich countries and poor countries. Claire and Hachim both come from poor country, and they see the other ones different. They grow up thinking the Federation is the cause of all the sufferings and the root of all evil, to them the rich countries are like the "evil empires", and that includes the people on the moon city, all are just some mindless underlings of an evil empire hogging all natural resources and destroying their home countries, they are all the "enemy". So to them killing all those people could be justified quite easily.
Old 2004-04-13, 23:36   Link #371
xavier8200

Just watched episode 24 and this episode was just unbelievable. I really don't know what else to say. Planetes has jumped another couple of slots into my top ten animes of all time. I can't believe that they would end the episode there. All I said at the end of the show was. NOT LIKE THIS. Tell me this is an hour special or something. LOL Great show. I can't wait for 25
xavier8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 00:55   Link #372
Za Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier8200
Just watched episode 24 and this episode was just unbelievable. I really don't know what else to say. Planetes has jumped another couple of slots into my top ten animes of all time. I can't believe that they would end the episode there. All I said at the end of the show was. NOT LIKE THIS. Tell me this is an hour special or something. LOL Great show. I can't wait for 25

Totally agree 100%. This was one of the best cliff hangers, if not THE best, cliff hanger ep I've ever seen. I actually yelled at the tv screen when the credits started to roll by.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 05:49   Link #373
Kiro
chocolate overdose

this series is just so good.

back to where i stopped in my last post: it's not that what the terrorist are doing is right. it is not. killing 120.000 people is never right. but so is killing indirect millions of people in the form of trade embargos (the people have to suffer from this. not the leaders of a country) or supporting dictatorships (i once saw a reportage, which was about shell and how it supports a dictatorship, that surpresses a tribe (i believe, it was the ogoni) which rightfully owns an area that is rich with oil.)

you can't say that either group is right. both groups are wrong in what they're doing. i think, that became clear at this scene (ep24):
Spoiler:

the problem is greed. :/
Kiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 06:38   Link #374
ZhouYu
^im with stupid

oMG wtf?!?!?!!? ahhhh i need more eps.... that cliffhanger was just.... -_-'' the preview got Tanabe's Will on it.... noooooooooo!!!!!!!!! jdsklfkjsdfdsf
ZhouYu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 08:50   Link #375
konangrit

Send a message via MSN to konangrit Send a message via Yahoo to konangrit
Couldn't agree more, this series is fantastic, and episode 24 was just amazing. Such a shame that there are only 2 episodes left. Don't think we'll have long to wait for them though, ANBU have released the last 8 episodes in a very short period.

I'm already thinking about season 2, does anyone know if there is one planned? This series is just too great to end after 1 season.
konangrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 09:21   Link #376
ShikaShika
無罪

That cliffhanger was just... evil... I won't be able to sleep well until I see the next ep.
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 09:53   Link #377
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Oh come on, with the way the anime is going, you definitely know in your hearts that Tanabe will not kill Claire. And they will be rescued. The extreme polarization of themes and characters here is what detracts it for me (even though the series is still good).

FYI, the Tanabe/Claire scene is adapted from the manga Vol 2 involving Hachimaki and his teammate Leonov.
Spoiler for manga vol 2:

On a good note, it is nice to see the preview with windmill generators and Tanabe's will. Why?

Spoiler for manga vol 3:
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 15:27   Link #378
Dinaluban61
Taicho!

Oh no. That cliffhanger was just too much for me to handle. I'm going to go crazy! Anything can happen because the anime can be different from the manga. Oh no! I'm must see the outcome.
Dinaluban61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 17:21   Link #379
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Garr! I'm going away for two weeks and I have to wait till I get back to see what happens!!! What a bittersweet feeling, what a great episode.

Spoiler:

Is this situation also a too-obvious parallel to the rich countries / poor countries situation? Whatdya think?

-k

curious
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 18:15   Link #380
mirichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Za Paper
Totally agree 100%. This was one of the best cliff hangers, if not THE best, cliff hanger ep I've ever seen. I actually yelled at the tv screen when the credits started to roll by.
I must be weird...

I actually started laughing. Because I wanted to KISS the producers and writers of this show. I have loved ALL the episodes from the beginning... been raving about it in my LJ many many times and they just blew me one more time...
Spoiler:
And then roll on the end credits?

WOW... talk about edge of seat cliffhanger!
mirichan is offline   Reply With Quote