Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2004-07-09, 22:29   Link #1
ClancyDamon
クラシー デマン

Send a message via AIM to ClancyDamon
Best Video Game Music

What games do you think had the best soundtracks? I don't mean the best songs, I mean the best OVERALL soundtracks. My favs are:

1) EarthBound - Anyone whose played this deranged, loveable riot of an RPG will probably agree the MIDI-esque (or MIDI definite, I don't really know) music rivals modern video game orchestrals. Or perhaps I'm biased? The ending song still makes me want to cry.

2) Chrono Cross - No contest here. This is some of the best work ever.

3) The Legend of Zelda (OOT) - Specifically, I mean The Ocarina of Time, but this series has never had a dull moment for the ears.
ClancyDamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 22:37   Link #2
chaoz
I see all and pwn all

Final Fantasy 7 - All the music fit into the game perfectly, and all of them are memorable
chaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 22:53   Link #3
SinnerChrno
Maverick Hunter

Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, and Xenogears without a doubt it my mind.
SinnerChrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 23:07   Link #4
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

chrono cross, couldnt get the little tunes out of my head, expecially Marbules (or wtv lol, the town with the merfolk)
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 23:40   Link #5
diabolistic
pythagorean≠python gorax

The music from this game can be described in one word: Poignant.

Chrono Cross.. the music in this game is so marvelous i have to capitalize and bold the letters!

I taught myself piano just to play songs from the OST. At times it blends in so well you don't even notice it (battle theme, termina) and other times, its so gripping that you don't want it to end (Dream Piece, Another World).

Yasunori Mitsuda really surpasses the Chrono Trigger OST with Chrono Cross, the music painfully affects the feelings.. you can really tell that he composes to make a lasting impression.. every song, theme, tune and melody.. its like he's shouting "HERE I AM, this is my masterpiece, Uemetsu can shove it cause i'm TEN TIMES more powerful than he is!"

<Pabs> kcl, you sure do put out a lot of Naruto eps
diabolistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 00:41   Link #6
anime_luver

Send a message via MSN to anime_luver
This is so repetitive . But Chrono Cross just has such great music.

Yasunori Mitsuda is a GOD !

Last edited by anime_luver; 2004-07-10 at 00:59.
anime_luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 00:19   Link #7
Seta

Send a message via ICQ to Seta Send a message via AIM to Seta
Top 3 for me are Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy VIII, and Final Fantasy Tactics.
Seta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 02:07   Link #8
AnAlPedoFileMan
hey there lil girlie

why mostly rpg music??

anyway i really dig the music from this game called Ikaruga...

honorable mentions include Guilty Gear XX, Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
AnAlPedoFileMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 02:23   Link #9
RichMan
????

1.)Cardcaptor Sakura: Tomoyo no Video Taisakusen. . .For the Dreamcast. The game uses the OST from the anime. I love the music

2.)Sonic Adventure 2. . .For the Dreamcast. Great music, Crush 40 kicks ass!

3.)Front Mission 1st. . .For the PS1, all the music from Front Mission 1 (for the Super Famicom) has been redone with real instruments and it kicks ass.

4.)Chrono Cross. . .For the PS1, great music. See everyone elses opinions

5.)Sonic Heroes. . .For the Gamecube. Great music, Crush 40 kicks ass!
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 08:39   Link #10
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClancyDamon
1) EarthBound - Anyone whose played this deranged, loveable riot of an RPG will probably agree the MIDI-esque (or MIDI definite, I don't really know) music rivals modern video game orchestrals. Or perhaps I'm biased? The ending song still makes me want to cry.
Earthbound- The bus theme, anyone? God did I love the music in Earthbound. It is my favorite game ever and it's music is also ranked top on my list of video game music.

Sonic Adventure 2- The music in SA2 helped to get your adrenaline pumping as you zoom through the streets/jungle/wherever the hell you are.

Final Fantasy X- I really liked the music in this game. Some cool tunes for cool areas, such as Thunder Plains and some awesome emotional themes.

Chrono Trigger- No, not Chrono cross. Chrono Trigger was awesome, the tunes were very catchy and some of them even touching (600 AD). There are plenty of good OC Remixes for the CT songs, too.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time- I can't exclude this. Every theme in this game grew on me and you'll often find me whistling the ocarina tunes (namely the Song of Time).

Any Mario Game- The Mario music rules. The Mario theme is very upbeat and "fun". Listening to the Mario music always makes me happy. Even the theme of you dieing is usually upbeat.

Golden Sun- The music in this game was also very good. The sequal, too. The different battle themes, the villain themes, etc. They were all composed to match the mood of the moment. That is why I like the music in GS so much.

Metroid Games- The Metroid games always have cool music. The music helps to further draw you in to the game, it makes you "feel" the world Samus is in more fully.

Well, there are plenty more I love, such as Donkey Kong (OK, excluding DK Rap in DK64 ) , but I named some of the best.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 09:03   Link #11
Space Monkey

Final Fantasy IX: Great, by Nobou Uematsu

Final Fantasy X: Great, by Nobou Uematsu

Hitman 2: Really powerful moods and feelings. By Jesper Kyd

Xenosaga: Just all out cool

Chrono Trigger: Cool Themes, plus some songs composed by Nobou Uematsu

Sonic Heroes: The Theme Song ROCKS!

Driv3r: Cool compilation of songs, especially the theme song by Mellowdrone.
Space Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 15:37   Link #12
ZhanDVG
Hail to the Sky~

Sonic Adventure 1, definitely. I didn't like SA2's music as much, it didn't seem like enough thought was put into many of the tracks. Very limited arrangements (which, when it comes to instrumentals that are basically melodyless, arrangement is the next important factor). I didn't like how ALL Sonic's level tunes were heavy guitar driven works, or all Tails were mostly guitar and synth, etc. etc. SA2 had some good tracks don't get me wrong, but as far as they go comparitively to SA1's music, SA2s best tracks are still only on par with some of SA1's fair to weaker tracks...

Oh, and I haven't played Sonic Heroes yet ;v
ZhanDVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 15:41   Link #13
DekaMaster
Banned

The Lunar games sega cd versions,Grandia games,Suikoden 1 and 2 and Final Fantasy 4
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 19:01   Link #14
RichMan
????

Quote:
Originally Posted by killermonk
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time- I can't exclude this. Every theme in this game grew on me and you'll often find me whistling the ocarina tunes (namely the Song of Time).
I really liked Saria's song in the forest (Do Do Dooo, Do Do Dooo. . .)
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 00:33   Link #15
Imazul

Chrono Cross is obviously first (Time's Scar or Scar Left By Time if you prefer is the ultimate orchestrated song in video game history)

Final Fantasy 7 (One Winged Angel and Jenova's theme orchestrated are really good)

Any game with a Yasunori Mitsuda song in it will have a kick ass sound track...
Imazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 01:25   Link #16
Mitsuomi

Send a message via AIM to Mitsuomi Send a message via Yahoo to Mitsuomi
Kingdom hearts, without a doubt, has the best OST.
Mitsuomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 09:10   Link #17
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
1. Sonic CD (Japanese Soundtrack)- I don't know why I love this music, but I just do. God I miss those mp3s on our old computer..... I want my past themes back!

2. Super Smach Brother Melee (Special CD: Smaching Live!) - There's nothing like your favorite music tracks from old games with a live orchrastra playing them. It's only found in a Nitendo Power from around a year and a half ago if you live in the US, but you got it just for attending the playing in Japan.

3. DDR Extreme- Yes people. You guessed right! I am a dork! I'm just a sucker for great sythizied music, and now there's proof, but still some songs we could've done without, but I'm not going to name even one song or person. :cough::cough:5.1.1.:cough:d.j. nagareo:hack:. Whoops! Did I just say something? ^_~
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 09:33   Link #18
Biohazard
-kanashii~desu-

Send a message via ICQ to Biohazard Send a message via MSN to Biohazard
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMan
I really liked Saria's song in the forest (Do Do Dooo, Do Do Dooo. . .)
A friend of mine did a lovly remix to that one If you want i can point you to it
Biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 12:03   Link #19
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries has the best music by far IMO. There is this one song that I still can't get out of my head (plays in the mission early in the game where you half to go into a city by yourself and kill some stuff).
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 12:13   Link #20
Necrodeath

Metroid Prime - Seriously, I listened to the music from that game a lot...
Diablo2: LoD - Has some seriously good music if you take the time to listen to it. (between the monsterkilling)

Uhm...what more....there was one more....but I forgot

EDIT:

Total Annihilation - Not TA: Kingdoms, but the first TA. Has the best battle music ever.
C&C Generals - I LOVE the GLA battle music...
Necrodeath is offline   Reply With Quote