AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2004-06-21, 19:50   Link #1
OFFSPRiNGCo16
Godlike

Send a message via ICQ to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via AIM to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via MSN to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via Yahoo to OFFSPRiNGCo16
Death Note Manga Discussion

Hey guys. I just started reading Death Note the other day and I must say, I have become completely addicted. Obata Takeshi doesnt fail to amaze me in this work. I made this thread to discuss the manga and here your opinions on it. I think that the plot in this is pure genius. Raito versus L. The battle wits to see who can outdue the other to succede in their plans. The morals and internal conflict that the characters experience is truly unique in the sense that its used. (Okay, not completely but you know where I'm comin' from)
Spoiler:

Edit (Posting quick summary of what its about): Basically, its about this Shinigami who drops his "Death Book" in the human world and a high school student picks it up. With it, you are able to kill anyone you want by just writing their name in it and thinking about their face. The real story picks up when this guy named "L" makes an effort to stop the main character, Raito, from killing people. (Even though he was only really killing criminals to try to make the world a utopia) The story is about their conflicts and trying to stop each other to insure the success of their own goals.
OFFSPRiNGCo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-22, 02:03   Link #2
aoikaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFSPRiNGCo16
Hey guys. I just started reading Death Note the other day and I must say, I have become completely addicted. Obata Takeshi doesnt fail to amaze me in this work. I made this thread to discuss the manga and here your opinions on it. I think that the plot in this is pure genius. Raito versus L. The battle wits to see who can outdue the other to succede in their plans. The morals and internal conflict that the characters experience is truly unique in the sense that its used. (Okay, not completely but you know where I'm comin' from)
Spoiler:

Edit (Posting quick summary of what its about): Basically, its about this Shinigami who drops his "Death Book" in the human world and a high school student picks it up. With it, you are able to kill anyone you want by just writing their name in it and thinking about their face. The real story picks up when this guy named "L" makes an effort to stop the main character, Raito, from killing people. (Even though he was only really killing criminals to try to make the world a utopia) The story is about their conflicts and trying to stop each other to insure the success of their own goals.
Death Note is really very interesting!
I do enjoy the battle between Raito and L. Both of them are so clever that they think about questions more deeply than ordinary people.
In the latest Page 27, the owner of the second deathnote told Raito the day and the place they are going to meet each other. The story gets much more interesting. Can't wait to see the next Page.
aoikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-22, 02:17   Link #3
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I think it becomes more and more like a kuso series towards the later chapters XD

Page 27...
Spoiler:
*shivers* XD XD XD
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-22, 10:14   Link #4
OFFSPRiNGCo16
Godlike

Send a message via ICQ to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via AIM to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via MSN to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via Yahoo to OFFSPRiNGCo16
What chapter are you talking about that has "the owner of the second deathnote told Raito the day and the place they are going to meet each other. The story gets much more interesting. Can't wait to see the next Page."
I've only read up to 24.
Edit: Nevermind about that. I didn't know 25 was released.
Anyhow, yea, the cleverness of them is really astonishing.
Old 2004-06-22, 22:10   Link #5
Kaka
罪人クロノ

Quote:
Edit: Nevermind about that. I didn't know 25 was released.
Anyhow, yea, the cleverness of them is really astonishing.
25 was out since 2 weeks ago ^^bbbb
I just read 27 yesterday
Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 06:32   Link #6
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Are you guys talking about the manga by the creator of Hikaru no Go? And who is releasing this series?

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 08:42   Link #7
OFFSPRiNGCo16
Godlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie
Are you guys talking about the manga by the creator of Hikaru no Go? And who is releasing this series?
Yes we are and I have been getting the releases by OrangeTangerine. They currently have up to chapter 25 out.

**Note to mods: If the series becomes licensed I'll remove the name of the group who is translating it.

I would like to know from which group Kaka gets it because he seems to have later chapters than I do.
Old 2004-06-23, 17:49   Link #8
stpehen
kisses for all

Obata only does the art, the same as Hikaru no Go. He's not involved with the story at all.
stpehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 20:18   Link #9
OFFSPRiNGCo16
Godlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpehen
Obata only does the art, the same as Hikaru no Go. He's not involved with the story at all.
Yes your correct. The story is made by Ohba Tsugumi.
Old 2004-07-05, 00:24   Link #10
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
Wow, this is curently one of my favorite manga. Nothing like a good battle of the intellect.

any idea how often chapters are released?
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 21:05   Link #11
Kaka
罪人クロノ

Quote:
I would like to know from which group Kaka gets it because he seems to have later chapters than I do.
I read the chinese scanlations
chinese groups tend to have a higher efficiency in translation stuff ^^bb
I can show you the link if you can read chinese or interested to see it ~

btw, I am a she ^_^
Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 04:07   Link #12
Scy

Does anyone agree with me that this is the best manga ever? Previously, I believed that 20th Century Boys held that spot, but after reading Death Note I was left shellshock.
Anyone knows of what other works Ohba Tsugumi has done before? He must be an incredible writer to come out with a story like death note.
Scy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 09:42   Link #13
Mb81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scy
Does anyone agree with me that this is the best manga ever? Previously, I believed that 20th Century Boys held that spot, but after reading Death Note I was left shellshock.
Anyone knows of what other works Ohba Tsugumi has done before? He must be an incredible writer to come out with a story like death note.
As i remember, he did Hikaru no Go with another person. And well, Death Note 2 was Shuesha`s / Japans best selling manga last month (speaks for itself).
Mb81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 10:04   Link #14
stpehen
kisses for all

If Ohba Tsugumi has authored anything else, it is under a penname. Death Note is the only thing he is credited with.
stpehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 12:22   Link #15
Kotonoha
Alone in the Dark

Two things you should know:
1) Tsugumi Ooba is most likely a woman.
2) Rumors are abounding within the Japanese manga community that "Tsugumi Ooba" is just a penname of Yuuko Asami, a Shounen Jump artist responsible for such titles like "Wild Half," "Romancers" and "Jump Run." "Death Note" is supposed to be her first "gensaku"-work, which was why she changed her name to be credited as an author.
Kotonoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 18:20   Link #16
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotonoha
2) Rumors are abounding within the Japanese manga community that "Tsugumi Ooba" is just a penname of Yuuko Asami, a Shounen Jump artist responsible for such titles like "Wild Half," "Romancers" and "Jump Run." "Death Note" is supposed to be her first "gensaku"-work, which was why she changed her name to be credited as an author.
You mean it’s a false name? Reading Death Note, I'm so surprised at how much it appeals to female readers. It has those yaoi vibes and just really clicks with me, I can't really explain why. I keep thinking Death Note is too good to be a shonen manga. Occasionally I feel that way about other shonen titles, so I thought it was just a coincidence. Does anyone else feel that way about Death Note?

So there's a mystery and hidden name situation behind the creators themselves lol. Curiouser and curiouser.

Can you explain "gensaku" to an idiot like me who left her Japanese dictionary in storage?
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 04:43   Link #17
Kotonoha
Alone in the Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
Can you explain "gensaku" to an idiot like me who left her Japanese dictionary in storage?
Oops, sorry. "Gensaku" means "Original work," think "Story" in "Story&Art."
Kotonoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 21:26   Link #18
H2-FumoGuu
パンツ。。。好き

I read the first 27 chapters today and WOW. This story is awesome and with the HikaGo artist doing the artwork Death Note has just vaulted itself into my top three manga. This manga is just crazy good. I could not stop reading it!

The funny thing is I read the pilot earlier and thought the actual manga would be trash since I felt the pilot was just plain ridiculous and too kiddy. The real thing has turned out so much better.
H2-FumoGuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 13:10   Link #19
Lokklyn
art GENIUS.. not really.

I was really impressed by both the plot and the art. I'm convinced that the writer is some kind of genius. The character design is amazing; L totally wins me over with his terrible posture and fondness of sweets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scy
Does anyone agree with me that this is the best manga ever?
I agree, hands down! However, I admit I haven't read a whole lot of manga to compare Death Note to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
Reading Death Note, I'm so surprised at how much it appeals to female readers. It has those yaoi vibes and just really clicks with me, I can't really explain why.
I'm feeling the yaoi vibes too, although my inital thoughts were focused entirely on the intriguing storyline. The vibes I get from Death Note aren't nearly as intense as those I get from, say, Prince of Tennis. I think Death Note appeals equally to both sexes.
Lokklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 13:33   Link #20
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotonoha
Wow, is it? I love Wild Half. I'd read on Death Note just for that XD

Hmm... it's indeed very shoujo like... especially with the introduction of Misa...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote