AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-21, 22:33   Link #201
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Regards Eru's neesan, she views Faaru as a surrogate nee-sama.

This is because the Faaru is stated to be the L1A1 Self Loading Rifle variant, which was the issue rifle of the British Army and most Commonwealth nations during the Cold War; the difference between the British-made L1A1 (aka Inch FAL) and Belgian-made FAL is the former was semiauto only, while the latter had semiauto and full auto firing modes. (Which makes Faaru's long burst at Funko in Episode 2 a bit of forgotten research - the manga gets it right, and Ichiyon complains to Jisuri that Faaru, being semiauto only, doesn't know the pain of a full auto battle rifle).

That said, Australian SAS troopers found that with careful modifications to the firing pin, one could turn the L1A1 into a full auto rifle, so maybe Faaru in this verse has made some changes there? Now what would those changes be, given that she's got a human body... would probably involve a lot of touching down there and lo-

*Goose is shot*

Anyway, tl;dr, Funko is Faaru's imouto because she's a subsequent design derived from the FAL, while Eru thinks of Faaru as her onee-sama because the FAL L1A1 was the previous issue rifle of the British Army before being replaced by the L85A1 around 1985. Also, the problems with Eru's firing pin and other issues are well documented. She needs upgrade to A2 model ASAP.

Also, small brick joke: remember when Modern Lit was reading the manual, how the handguard corresponds to the bust? Note that FNC, M16A4 and SIG SG550 have relatively small handguards when compared to the L85A1. Now consider that Eru has the largest bust among her friends. (Also, she's heavier than most battle rifles.)

Incidentally, if I'm not mistaken, the FAL has been the only rifle to have been used by both sides in a war: the Argentine Army used the FN FAL while the Royal Marines and British Army used the L1A1 in the Falklands War.

Also, after thinking abit, I think the reason Faaru calls Jisuri's shooting position indecent is because with a knee-length skirt, like what Ichiyon's wearing, the hem will ride up, causing the user to flash whoever they're sniping against, if said target would to see them through the scope. Which is probably why Jisuri is sticking with her old uniform, with its longer skirt.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 22:40   Link #202
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Curse you, Goose!

Are you trying to give me some erotic dreams when I go to sleep later?!

And now I feel up to making Upotte! fanfics...

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 22:47   Link #203
Utsuro no Hako

This show is very educational. Yup, that's why I'm watching. L85, fascinating stuff. Should be on the History Channel.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 23:35   Link #204
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
This show is very educational. Yup, that's why I'm watching. L85, fascinating stuff. Should be on the History Channel.
i thought the history channel already had a show about the history of guns called ironically "The History of Guns" however I think it has been off the air for some time now.
Old 2012-04-22, 08:35   Link #205
Dop
Mmmm....

I think i actually learned something about guns today that i'd not previously been aware of.

I wasn't expecting that.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 08:44   Link #206
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

That they're really cute?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 08:52   Link #207
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
I think i actually learned something about guns today that i'd not previously been aware of.

I wasn't expecting that.
Yea manga is one big gun introduction manual...

I kinda surprised how quick we got to the whole team battle arc. We might even get into the whole urban warfare battle before this ends maybe.
Old 2012-04-22, 09:09   Link #208
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Lol this anime is like watching a weapon's documentary.
The L85 story was interesting. This line was hilarious :
"A feat only made possible by the dogged determination and stubbornness of the british people"
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 09:45   Link #209
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I feel your pain Ell....

But I still hate bullpup configuration....

Quote:
Incidentally, if I'm not mistaken, the FAL has been the only rifle to have been used by both sides in a war: the Argentine Army used the FN FAL while the Royal Marines and British Army used the L1A1 in the Falklands War.
Kalashnikovs man....AK-47 is used by almost every faction in every battle
Old 2012-04-22, 11:18   Link #210
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

One thing that flew over my head was who's the 5th girl in the shower?
frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 11:21   Link #211
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

AR18, M16's cousin.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 12:44   Link #212
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
AR18, M16's cousin.
Poor AR18...completely over shadowed by M16s fame...
Old 2012-04-22, 15:18   Link #213
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
One thing that flew over my head was who's the 5th girl in the shower?
Same for me.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 19:43   Link #214
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Let's see we got L, Sig, 14, FNC and 18.

Nope I don't think we missed anyone there.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2012-04-22, 20:01   Link #215
ZeKeR
Superbad

wait... in EP 3... don't all of them (the AR's) fire 5.56x45 Ball ammunition... right? what's with the 'balls' thing? something about their parts?

also, Cosmic... bullpups aren't all that bad... except for that really awkward FAMAS with it's hueg ass carrying handle.

Japan... HK will be proud knowing that their guns are pretty cute here....

Last edited by ZeKeR; 2012-04-22 at 20:12.
ZeKeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 20:11   Link #216
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
But wasn't the AR-18 a marketing failure? That would go a ways to explain why no one knows who she is...

Anyway, was I imagining things, or did the quality (or at least the frame rate) jump during two instances during this episode? The first one was obviously the iai sequence with SIG, but the other one was where the five girls were walking home, with the latter one really surprising me.
Old 2012-04-22, 20:12   Link #217
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
But wasn't the AR-18 a marketing failure? That would go a ways to explain why no one knows who she is...
Yep. Despite being manufactured by Howa and Sterling, no one wanted the AR-18 with a few terrorist groups covertly buying it like the various IRA factions in Northern Ireland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
wait... in EP 3... don't all of them (the AR's) fire 5.56x45 Ball ammunition... right?
I think there are a few that needs non-ball ammo to be used effectively... The Norinco CQ is one example.

Old 2012-04-22, 21:29   Link #218
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

L85A1 is just so cute even when she trying to be mad
Old 2012-04-23, 09:46   Link #219
Kaihan
Barrel!
*Graphic Designer

The fanservice just spiked up in episode 3. Got to agree with other users here: I'm learning! did not know that some guns have poor rep history but is still being used.
After this EP I end up reading on wiki about types of gun malfunctions.

Current Sig
Sinanju(Poco)

Last Sig
Mimi

Kuon
Kaihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 11:34   Link #220
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Myssa's watching this too? What.

Anyway, managed to watch part of Episode 3 - first, my inner pervert is quite intrigued by Funko's speculation that AR-18 is going commando.

Secondly, looking at the high school, it very strongly reminds me of Brécourt Manor, from what I've seen in Band of Brothers and played in Call of Duty.

Third, after getting to the jungle wargames in the manga, I'm of the opinion that I prefer Episode 2's resolution to the mock battle with the Elder Sisters, simply because instead of Sensei barging in and knocking heads, you have a meeting of minds, reconciliation, and aw, Faaru-neechan does love Funco~ XD

Also, 16 is well on her way to become the memetic molester of this series. And lol at how Gun Mag Cover = Idol Photoshoot.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, seinen, shounen