Notices

Old 2012-07-23, 09:01   Link #461
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Personally, I just chalk it down to "Didn't quite think this through"
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 09:04   Link #462
novalysis

Even if Yui knew that, it's another matter to experience it first hand. That being said, I'd imagine that she would be more open and able to be friendlier to men that she knows and attain a certain degree of trust with, like Taichi for example. Nothing suggest that she wouldn't remain wary of men who are complete strangers.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 09:04   Link #463
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Then what would she have done in the real world? Never, ever get over it since she obviously would never get to experience this pain for herself?

There's obviously other, less extreme ways to help girls/women get over fears of men like this, or they'd never get over it in the real world.

What Taichi did was helpful to Yui, he gets full credit for that, but it was also extreme, and it reflects an alarming lack of concern for his own basic well-being, imo.
There are probably other ways but Taichi isn't all knowing and this is probably the only one he could think of. It's not really that extreme. We've all taken a hit to the nuts before. It passes. And he probably thought he wouldn't have to feel it.

Quote:
A simple reminder can't hurt.
It's a phobia. I think it would've taken more than that.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 09:19   Link #464
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I'm not necessarily saying that Taichi was wrong for doing what he did.

I'm just saying that there are reasons to suspect that the guy doesn't care enough about his own well-being, and this crotch-kicking bit is one such reason.

Honestly, I hope that is the case. Wouldn't it be disappointing if both guys were perfectly normal, and only the girls had issues that they had to work out?
Old 2012-07-23, 09:22   Link #465
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Looking at the preview, I think the key pieces of the main triangle will be set up in the next episode.

I'm guessing that Taichi will first take Himiko's advice and get a bit closer to Iori. Hence, "Do you want to know more about me, Taichi-kun?"

But when he realises that Himiko herself is suffering, he goes back to spend time with her, leading to, "It's stupid that I'm actually feeling touched."
frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 09:26   Link #466
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
There are probably other ways but Taichi isn't all knowing and this is probably the only one he could think of. It's not really that extreme. We've all taken a hit to the nuts before. It passes. And he probably thought he wouldn't have to feel it.
Another thing I just thought of - Yui could have well reacted with lasting anger due to Taichi inflicting that severe pain on her. It may have lowered her trust for him, not heightened it. How do most people react to having severe pain like that suddenly inflicted on them by someone they consider a friend?

What Taichi did was very risky, imo. That's another reason why it's extreme, imo.
Old 2012-07-23, 09:32   Link #467
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I think that's more of a flaw in the plot writing rather than a character point.

I don't mind Taichi having issues behind his altruism really. Actually it probably is preferable that he does. I just don't want it to become some sort of pattern where altruistic characters all have to have problems behind their altruism. It's just depressing sometimes.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 09:55   Link #468
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Another thing I just thought of - Yui could have well reacted with lasting anger due to Taichi inflicting that severe pain on her. It may have lowered her trust for him, not heightened it. How do most people react to having severe pain like that suddenly inflicted on them by someone they consider a friend?

What Taichi did was very risky, imo. That's another reason why it's extreme, imo.
I wouldn't worry about that, friendship is a lot more resilient than most people give it credit for. Especially when said friends are in this together.

At worst, knees and forehead to the ground and beg for forgiveness.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 10:06   Link #469
Arya

Well, I agree that the kick it's a sign of how Taichi's problem could be his selflessness itself, but I wouldn't over-thinking about the execution or how realistic his method is. Surely I think it is the most effective way within a limited span of time. Another way would have been sending her into analysis.
Anyways, we still don't know how effective this nutcracker method is. Is it AoE or each boy needs nutcracking himself to make Yui comfortable? Will Aoki do it?

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 10:10   Link #470
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I don't mind Taichi having issues behind his altruism really. Actually it probably is preferable that he does. I just don't want it to become some sort of pattern where altruistic characters all have to have problems behind their altruism. It's just depressing sometimes.
Oh, I'm with you there. In some shows, I prefer altruistic characters to have their altruism presented in a decidedly positive light. Even here, I hope that Taichi's altruism is presented as mostly a good thing.

I just hope that the two guys have their own "issues". They can be milder than the girls, but I hope that they're there.
Old 2012-07-23, 10:17   Link #471
JokerD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroz View Post
If hit hard enough...I suppose you could also damage your pelvic bone
I just remembered, ep 2 states that Yui was a karate champion in middle school, so if Taichi went all out in her body...

Ouch
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 10:33   Link #472
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
A simple reminder can't hurt.

I disagree.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 11:02   Link #473
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

So much effort being made to justify something so stupid!

It was a mistake - the one part of the show that felt silly and cheap. The rest of it was quite good, no it's not that huge a deal.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 12:24   Link #474
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
So much effort being made to justify something so stupid! It was a mistake - the one part of the show that felt silly and cheap. The rest of it was quite good, no it's not that huge a deal.
I agree, but not for the same reason. I can accept that Yui didn't know about the effect, since it is apparently not part of actual karate training. But for her to be "cured" in one blow seems cartoony to me. That's more like a single workshop exercise than a course of treatment to cure an ingrained psychological problem. I will be much happier if it turns out that she feels easier toward only Taichi, and still has a ways to go with other guys.

That aside, however, this show is hitting on all cylinders for me. And I can hardly blame them for including a scene that generates so much interest, whatever its other faults.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 14:30   Link #475
maximilianjenus
[E]

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
Seems like it's the girls going through the emotional drama for now, with Inaba and Iori next week.

Yes, that crouch hit looks painful, I don't think I'll even consider that to help a friend...

Then again maybe his just a masochist...
I can just imagine yui asking taichi, "ok, I know how much it hurts, but can you explain why men get hard when you

in b4 inaba passing away because iori overslept/was sleeping when they exchanged bodies.

now, forgetting about jokes, I liked how inaba told taichi that he was going to run after the girl who seemed to be the weakest and it turned out to be yui.

Last edited by maximilianjenus; 2012-07-23 at 14:50.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 14:58   Link #476
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
It was way over-the-top and unnecessary. Just tell her to remember that guys have a weakness that girls don't have, and that this gives her an edge on them if she ever feels threatened by them. You don't need an actual object lesson in severe pain. Let's be honest, here - At least part of the likely creative thinking behind this crotch-kicking scene was Okada-style "for the lolz".

I still get that Taichi did it for well-intentioned reasons, but that doesn't make it any less extreme, imo.
I'm sure if one of the girls were going through childbirth they'd want the men to know what it felt like as well.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 15:04   Link #477
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
So much effort being made to justify something so stupid!

It was a mistake - the one part of the show that felt silly and cheap. The rest of it was quite good, no it's not that huge a deal.
You mean the fact that androphobia is now apparently moe isn't a flaw?

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 16:17   Link #478
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

This isn't Working!! - I don't think you were supposed to find it moe...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 17:05   Link #479
Forsaken_Infinity

I don't really think you were supposed to find it just moe in Working!! either and I don't really see how it can't be moe in the same sense as in Working!! either but at least it's not getting dragged and gagged to death over here.

Also, I don't know why you guys think it's not effective to get kicked in the balls to realize that men are weak. Yui may have always known that men are weak in the balls but it's an entirely different thing altogether to get kicked there for real (Taichi didn't hold back, which isn't the case when most of us get hit) lol. Really, I thought that was smart and I wouldn't have liked it if she didn't get over it as fast as she did after something so drastic.

Inaba lecturing Taichi on how he should love Iori because she is the most vulnerable one while she herself is clearly the most vulnerable one (and she knows it too) was kind of amusing.

It won't happen but I would love for this show to try giving consensual polyamory a shot.
Old 2012-07-23, 20:49   Link #480
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:
You're raising a false dichotomy here. It's possible to love jobbers and flashy moves/death-defying stunts.
Too true, but if I understand his reasoning, what he likes about them is that they put all their effort into feeding the opponent so it looks like they're getting killed to make the star look better. I don't think that necessarily means he enjoys being a punching bag, or taking abuse, it's just that he admires people who focus on others.

Sure enough, later on, he's down for the count and thoroughly beaten to showcase how powerful Yui is, even if she's the only intended audience. He's already a great jobber.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body swapping, comedy, drama, romance, shounen, slice of life