AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-08-06, 10:01   Link #841
mitsuganae

Am I the only one who has always been bothered by that vertical protrusion on the bow? I assume that the three holes are there so that turret #1 can fire forward at zero elevation, but if it needs to fire +/- a few degrees from forward at zero elevation, I assume it wouldn't be pretty.

And yeah, the third bridge is silly (though it would be slightly less so if it were retractable). No wonder they got rid of the sucker in the movie.

So far this has been a wonderful ride (though my sources only have the first four episodes). The original was not only my first anime, but my first favorite TV series of any kind. I do hope a few more wrinkles are thrown in so that it isn't too predictable to anyone who has watched the original.

Apologies if any of the above points have been raised before. I'm new to this thread.

Last edited by mitsuganae; 2012-08-06 at 17:41.
mitsuganae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 15:45   Link #842
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Aside from style I'd assumed the holes in the bow were a backup to help aim the Wave Motion Gun. Like a giant Iron Sight. Though that only explains the front one, and the ones on the port and starboard sides. The Iron Sight theory was also what I thought all the Earth ships seem to have small or large fins on the bows of any ships that have bow mounted guns (be they shock cannons or wave motion guns).

I do have a ponderance though. Since the third bridge is no longer being used as the backup bridge from when the ship is upside-down...what is the "third bridge" used for? So far we've only seen it used for entry into the ship from below. What other purpose does it serve to have that much mass sticking out of the bottom of the ship?

By Ressurrection they have it being used as the main Astrogation Center. But what is it in 2199?
Old 2012-08-06, 16:47   Link #843
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Okay, before I make myself seem stupid.

The 3rd bridge is that structure sticking out the bottom of the Yamato?
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 17:03   Link #844
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Correct. The thing that was always either being hit or falling off in Star Blazers. (slightly less so in Yamato...but only slightly). Called the third bridge in dubs and I'm not sure if that was its designation orginally. Generally considered the ship's deathtrap in fandom.
Old 2012-08-06, 17:26   Link #845
macdawson

Yep, that's it. In the original it was used briefly to command the ship in the battle of Pluto when they sunk and got the ship upside down. If you go to starblazers.com i think theres one of the few layout designs for the thing, basically it had the control room mirrored on the ceiling so that when the ship was upside down they used the consoles that were there and when upright the ones on the floor. Guess gravity control was discarded for the sake of something they thought would be cool. Guess it tanked since they never used it again in that fashion. Other than that, as far as i can remember, they only used it in the same way they used it so far in 2199, as an access port for personnel and machinery.
One of the reasons i've read in an interview with Leiji Matsumoto for the existence of such a structure in such a place was that the bottom of the ship just looked too flat and empty compared to the upper part so they went with it just to add some interest. Personally i like the look though i do laugh a lot to myself every time they land the ship in solid ground. XD

As for the holes on the bow i think they were just a stylistic modification of the real Yamato's bow. If you look at it, it had two openings on each side while the forward one was not a hole but a crest, 6ft in diameter, used only on very important imperial navy ships (More info here http://www.battleshipyamato.info/characteristics.html) Besides, it looks cool
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 17:40   Link #846
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

To be fair, the issue of the Yamato's bottom coming off as to bare IS a pretty genuine concern. A big part of the majestic appeal of these battleships is their tops brimming with weapons. Throwing them into space is really cool...until you realize the bottoms literally don't have anything on them. Even barring the silliness of fighting in an environment where there is no up or down when the enemy could attack you from any direction, it does come off as a bit visually off.
Old 2012-08-06, 17:48   Link #847
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
I guess if it was something that would befuddle the fans, it'd be a subject of discussion in the show to.
Only because of the odd choice of Kanji, and the fact that the original and male Yamamoto was also named "Akira" (明)as opposed to (玲) — of course, the characters themselves have their own meaning. The former is "bright"/"brilliant" or "clear" and the latter is "a tinkling of jade" — hence her pendant. In EVANGELION, Ayanami's given name, "Rei", is rendered in katakana as (レイ), usually used for denoting a foreign thing (which makes sense) — there are a number of kanji for "Rei": 冷 (ice cold), 令 (command), 〇 (zero), 零 (zero/fragment), 礼 (manners), 霊 (spiritual/miraculous), 嶺 (mountain peak), 鈴 (bell), 麗 (lovely/elegant), etc., etc., etc. This just proves that the kanji employed means a lot more than meets the foreign ear...

Last edited by August138; 2012-08-06 at 18:05.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 17:51   Link #848
August138

The third bridge has NEVER bothered me. Ever. Don't get me started on the USS Enterprise, though...
Old 2012-08-06, 18:01   Link #849
mitsuganae

I like your idea of the protrusion's center hole being an Iron Sight, Ithekro. And yes, macdawson, I realize the it's based on the real Yamato. But making it so big that it apparently limits the firing arcs of turret #1 -- well, it just bugs me. Old pet peeve of mine, I suppose.

Speaking of turrets, they should've just put another one underneath instead of a third bridge, for additional firing arcs -- like some variants of the Arcadia.

Ummmmmm, Arcadia -- another mouthwatering ship . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by August138 View Post
Don't get me started on the USS Enterprise, though...
Which one?
Old 2012-08-06, 18:04   Link #850
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuganae View Post
Which one?
As I said, "Don't get me started..."
Old 2012-08-06, 18:05   Link #851
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I will assume the first one (NCC-1701) and her early movies counterpart due to her thin pylons. That design choice was done to imply extreme advances in construction materials because it looks too flimsy (and anyone who's owned a model of it can attest that they are too flismy).

It is fortunate that it doesn't have to land anyplace. Unlike Yamato which is designed to land in liquids...but has a tendancy to land (mysteriously) on solids without too much trouble.

My question is more to do with what is that section's fuction in the new series (the third bridge), since its form fuction seems to have been taken over by the CIC (the old Second Bridge/Navigation Bridge).

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-08-06 at 18:18.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 18:15   Link #852
mitsuganae

Imagine how different all future Federation ships would've been if Roddenberry stuck to the original upside down design.

Incidentally, history repeated itself for the USS Reliant, which was also turned upside down.

Makes Yamato's third bridge problem look like nothing . . .
Old 2012-08-06, 18:21   Link #853
Bombo
TSF Fans

I can't believe watching SBY again...I'm super happy now :lD
Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 18:33   Link #854
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Heh, I was thinking about that Third Bridge NOT being ground down to nothing in Episode 3. Apparently, I wasn't the only one noticing that.

Question: In the SBY universe, was humanity in the process of terraforming Mars? Apparently there's and ocean now.

Endless "Don;t get me started" Soul
Old 2012-08-06, 19:27   Link #855
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

A slightly longer account of the second test for the Battle at Pluto, with some pictures.

TL;DR…

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Simple version:
The Earth ships destroyed one Gamilas destroyer and crippled their flagship and one cruiser.

No Earth ships survived to reach Mars.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-08-06 at 21:29.
Old 2012-08-06, 20:19   Link #856
kimpleng
Lurker

I'm glad episode 5 and 6 appear early. Not waiting until BD release at November this year.
Looks like from limited edition.

Type 3 bullet could detonate?! Thats news for me.
kimpleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 20:25   Link #857
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Most shells detonate, it just depends on when and how. (Most detonate right at or just after impact)
Bullets of course do not normally explode. But these things should probably be called shells because they are naval artillery in the 48cm in diameter range.

On a different note, while the first BD has only two episodes on it, the second and following five more will all have four episodes on them, each.

For a total of seven discs and 26 episodes.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-08-06 at 20:41.
Old 2012-08-06, 21:10   Link #858
YF19EX

I'm also curious to wonder where they keep the Seagull rescue ships. From where Boatswain was when the ship was taking on water, it looks like they are kept in the upper hanger deck with the Cosmo's? Both decks seem to be separated. I was also seeing that the main fighter deck has to be on rotating racks because the main engine is right above the fighter bay. Again can't wait to see when they animate the recovery procedures.
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 22:57   Link #859
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuganae View Post
I like your idea of the protrusion's center hole being an Iron Sight, Ithekro. And yes, macdawson, I realize the it's based on the real Yamato. But making it so big that it apparently limits the firing arcs of turret #1 -- well, it just bugs me. Old pet peeve of mine, I suppose.

Speaking of turrets, they should've just put another one underneath instead of a third bridge, for additional firing arcs -- like some variants of the Arcadia.
I'm not sure if it's THAT big of a deal. Remember, Yamato isn't a waterborne vessel. If the enemy is aligned so that the bow protrusions blocks the shock cannons... they can use their inertial dampening to dip the front end of the ship *down* just enough to give the guns a free shot.

It's really a rather trivial concern compared to the realistic problem of having completely ungunned undersides...you'd think the Gamilon #1 attack plan would be to try to approach Yamato from the underside!
Old 2012-08-06, 23:45   Link #860
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Assuming the radar works correctly, Yamato should have time to orient itself to be on the same plain as the Gamilon attack path. And that they presently can outrange the Gamilon warships, they should be able to do considerable damage to an enemy force before they can attack from the underside of the ship. Add to this the Wave Motion Shielding, they get time to alter their angle of attack to engage Gamilon forces along with their Cosmo Falcons and Cosmo Zeros.

If they have a force that is large enough to get around that advantage...Yamato would be considereing running away rather than face such odds.

That is, if the Gamilons don't "cheat".

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato