AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 57 54.81%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 31 29.81%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 10.58%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 4.81%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-14, 17:10   Link #81
kyp275
Meh

@vexx

the back-and-forth between Horo and Lawrence is what makes Spice and Wolf so great, and what makes adapting it to anime so difficult to do well.

While I do hope that they'll continue with a season 2, I hope they'll increase the number of episodes allotted to each story arc. 6 episodes for every novel just doesn't cut it, especially since novel 1 is already the shortest of the bunch, and 6 episodes was too short even for that one.

I'm afraid to see what's gonna happen to novel 2's story after they're done cutting it up, but for the moment I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 2008-02-14, 17:33   Link #82
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye.... I've not read novel 2 yet - and I plan to avoid it until after the anime series completes so I'll be looking at the latter half of the anime adaptation standing on its own as a story.

@Flareknight:
Quote:
nothing says "I love you" like "I'll follow you to the ends of the earth until I get my money"
may end up on my .sig line...
Old 2008-02-14, 17:46   Link #83
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
So it would seem. I have watched a few other series raw between then and now though. Thanks for the explanation, herbert.

Last night, I watched episode 2 again. I'd forgotten that Lawrence said he'd been attacked by wolves 7 times during his travels; that in the flashback we saw, Lawrence see his companion eaten by a wolf pack; that he is still very traumatized by the memories.
Spoiler for ep 6:
Does Lawrence have a fear of wolves in the manga/novel as well? I don't remember him being a bitch err I mean being that afraid of Horo's true form in the manga he acted normally when he first saw Horo though his hand "betrayed" him because they were shaking a bit. But in the anime he basicly had to run away after seeing her hand transform into a wolve's hand.
Old 2008-02-14, 18:07   Link #84
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah, the anime overamps his initial reaction to her for dramatic purposes and to accentuate the choices Lawrence makes by being with her. The impression I got in the manga and the novel translates (and my own terrible parsing) was that it was her size more than just being a wolf that boggled him.
However, watching her in action in the sewer though is pretty terrifying even if you quite fond of wolves.
Old 2008-02-14, 18:50   Link #85
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
yeah, the anime overamps his initial reaction to her for dramatic purposes and to accentuate the choices Lawrence makes by being with her. The impression I got in the manga and the novel translates (and my own terrible parsing) was that it was her size more than just being a wolf that boggled him.
I really got to get my hands on the manga so I can compare the two. Since I'm so impressed by the anime, I can't wait till I see how much better the manga is. I will be waiting till the anime ends as I've made that mistake before

Quote:
However, watching her in action in the sewer though is pretty terrifying even if you quite fond of wolves.
Yah not only was Lawrence terrified but the people who she was facing were peeing their pants too. Of course in their cases they probably just realised they pissed off the wrong little girl which had a huge wolf inside of her.
Old 2008-02-14, 19:22   Link #86
X207
Gamyūsa

lol they really made horo mad this time. i found the transformation cool and she really showed them who is bigger. lol i really thought she got a bit hungry after taking down the first 4 ppl. as a viewer i wouldnt say it was frightening, but if i was her target then i'd surely scared.
Old 2008-02-14, 20:31   Link #87
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Can't hold too much against Lawrence for his freak out. Maybe the truly sad part of that was that Horo knew it was coming. Obviously didn't want to do it, but the situation pretty much demand she cut loose and show those guys just who they have been messing with.

Guess the size and the memories of wolf attacks would lead to that kind of conclusion. Though not hiding that I'm looking forward to the time when he's more....calm when she goes wolf on whatever they are dealing with.
Old 2008-02-14, 20:37   Link #88
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
On the episode, nothing says "I love you" like "I'll follow you to the ends of the earth until I get my money" .
Hm, does that mean that Lawrence has just entered himself into the Stalker of the Season contest?

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2008-02-14, 20:50   Link #89
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Hm, does that mean that Lawrence has just entered himself into the Stalker of the Season contest?
i wouldnt say so, theres another good candidate for stalker of the season showing up on rosario vampire. as i understand, horo and lawrence are in it together for business, companionship and a journey. he isnt one to stalk ppl.
Old 2008-02-14, 20:55   Link #90
Darklightz
Wagering his life...

Wow, what an episode! It keeps getting better and better. Although it sounded too much like an ending to my liking. Are they parting ways? It certainly sounded like that to me. And yes, even though we're only hafway through the serie there definitely should be a second season
Old 2008-02-14, 21:17   Link #91
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Is it juast me or did Horo taking it easy on those thugs, but when she got to those two "God Botherer's" she probably....ate them? or at the very leased tore them limb from limb?

Nothing says Religion = Violent

When you get toren up over it. literally.

:3
Old 2008-02-14, 21:26   Link #92
ApostleOfGod
^.^

I wonder now with this "ending" kind of episode, what will season 2 bring (assuming season 2 = Episodes 7-12?)

Oh, and how come Chloe has such a high position, or at least seems like she has a high position overall? She had those Medioh company thugs and the Church dudes... From the first episode, I thought she was just one of Lawrence's acquaintances, whom Lawrence pretty much taught about trades.

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
Old 2008-02-14, 21:28   Link #93
Eviltape

At first I was thinking, "Oh snap, she's leaving him!" But then I remembered it was only 6 episodes in, and unless it was to be a major arc, Horo wouldn't leave him like that.

But man, if my girlfriend sent me an invoice for 120 dollars...
Old 2008-02-14, 21:38   Link #94
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
Is it juast me or did Horo taking it easy on those thugs, but when she got to those two "God Botherer's" she probably....ate them? or at the very leased tore them limb from limb?

Nothing says Religion = Violent

When you get toren up over it. literally.

:3

i doubt that. she dealt with the first few relatively peacefully. i would hope she did have a quick snack but even that seems too extreme for her mad wolf mode.
Old 2008-02-14, 22:20   Link #95
mikesince83
AnimeSuki Freshman

It may be too early to tell, but...

Quote:
This is why this series SHOULD have been 24 episodes, not 12. The compression really hurt this particular episode's impact (which considering how good it was hopefully makes you realize how good it could have been).
I would argue that to this point the series has moved comparatively slow, and extending the amount of episodes to cover the same content would have only proved to mire the plot in further inconsequential and tedious economic conflict.

In other words, Spice and Wolf is at it's core a romance and since there isn't much action, the remaining filler between romantic moments usually ends up being dull economic dialogue. Occasionally it's been used as a means to develop the relationship for Horo and Lawrence, but on average it's just straight forward plot. At the end of the day does anyone care if Lawrence gets rich or ends up being swindled by some count? Or for that matter how it happens? No, because it doesn't matter. What's important is the development between him and Horo which doesn't need 24 episodes to drag out.
Old 2008-02-14, 23:54   Link #96
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklightz View Post
Wow, what an episode! It keeps getting better and better. Although it sounded too much like an ending to my liking. Are they parting ways? It certainly sounded like that to me. And yes, even though we're only halfway through the series there definitely should be a second season
Well it was an ending of that volume in the novels so should have felt like an ending. Next episode we'll move into the next story. Should be interesting to see what happens next and meeting the other major character in the OP.

But just reaffirming that they will continue traveling together and maybe Horo will pay him back eventually .
Old 2008-02-15, 00:51   Link #97
BigGimp77

Another great episode. If I was Lawrence, I woulda freaked if my woman bought 4 baskets of apples lol. Cant wait for the next arc.

To the people who have read the novels. How many novels are there total? and in your opinion is novel 2 better then novel 1?

Hopefully they plan another season since there is only 13 episodes this season
Old 2008-02-15, 01:02   Link #98
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Another good episode that can be wrapped up in a few words " simply told in a appropriate way".

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2008-02-15, 01:46   Link #99
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Well-paced action. Very good contrast of emotions from Lawrence, caught between horror and affection. Chloe's antagonist role handled very well —"it's busniess, not personal"— mixed with her genuine desire to be rid of the fickle whims of a god. Horo showing her true form, and the reason why she is very reluctant to use it. She much prefers to be loved than to be feared.

I give this episode a well-deserved 9.
Old 2008-02-15, 02:16   Link #100
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesince83 View Post
I would argue that to this point the series has moved comparatively slow, and extending the amount of episodes to cover the same content would have only proved to mire the plot in further inconsequential and tedious economic conflict.

In other words, Spice and Wolf is at it's core a romance and since there isn't much action, the remaining filler between romantic moments usually ends up being dull economic dialogue. Occasionally it's been used as a means to develop the relationship for Horo and Lawrence, but on average it's just straight forward plot. At the end of the day does anyone care if Lawrence gets rich or ends up being swindled by some count? Or for that matter how it happens? No, because it doesn't matter. What's important is the development between him and Horo which doesn't need 24 episodes to drag out.
True, the romance may be the core ... but if that is the case, the interactions between them in the novel, the *portrayal* of their relationship, gets a bit whacked in only 12 episodes.

Its like the difference between the first 12 episode Kanon and the recent 24 episode version. The 12 episode version left out so much of the character interplay that whatever its merits - it was left as a "teaser" to the story rather than a full reading.

I guess "slow" is a matter of opinion though as is the opinion on whether mercantile conflict and intrigue is "dull and boring". I think the latter is kind of refreshing.