AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On!! (Second Season) - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 93 68.89%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 19.26%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 6.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 3.70%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.48%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-18, 08:44   Link #101
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
U&I and Gohan are nice songs in their own right, but wait till the inevitable Hisaka Yoko versions come out
There is always the "Raccoon's Love Shower". Of course, it should be accompanied with a MV - Ritsu can be the raccoo - *gets a sock stuffed in his mouth*.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-08-18, 08:51   Link #102
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

(I ended up typing this since I had to study. I wasn't supposed to but it ended up like it anyway. Sorry if it's rather long.)

The Music Never Dies

Life as always inevitably goes on, even in anime. I never expected that these girls would be in high school their entire lives, but you never really expect that sort of self-awareness of the inevitable future. They’ve skirted the issue before, as seniors, content in ignoring the gorilla in the room as they eat cake, sip tea and procrastinating before eventually going on to practice.

Some will argue that having only three songs played, and the second song not even presented, is a big letdown. Honestly though, we’re people expecting an half an entire album’s worth of material to be rocked to high heaven in a school festival concert? I am perfectly fine that only 2 real songs were presented, given the fact that these were 2 NEW songs, and both songs were really, really good. U&I was (as I expected) the better of the two, and the best song the group has played to date. Mugi’s song was conspicuously absent as was I think at least one more but hey, if those are the group’s magnum opus, wouldn’t it be better for them to be played at the end?

Yui’s hyperactivity again comes into full force. For what it’s worth, and some people were probably annoyed by it, it is still consistent with everything she has ever been since day one. This was the same ecstatic, excited and genuinely eager Yui we have all come to know over their three years of high school.

And then it hits.

The high of playing in the festival now over, the group comes down from the clouds back to reality. It’s time to face the music, so to speak. They try to plan ahead for their group like for the entrance ceremony, the freshmen orientation and whatnot. It’s the same excitement they had when they first started almost three years ago as the renewal of the school K-On. The same excitement when they finally managed to recruit Azusa as the sole new member of the group. The very same excitement when they played their very best as seniors to welcome the freshmen.

But reality is always there, always ready to headshot the fragile dreams of children. The gorilla that had been in the clubroom ever since the day Yui pointed out that they were seniors, that they had tried so hard to ignore as they make plans for themselves and their music, makes itself known once again to all of them.

The moment Yui’s eyes filled with tears, as Mugi mumbles to herself and Ritsu tried to make a joke towards Mio, we knew.

We knew they knew.

And so it hits.

Was Budokan always such a lofty and impossible goal?

Childish as dreams may seem to some, these had always been parts of us growing up. We dreamed of great things, things we wanted to be, things we wanted to reach, even if we never really understood them. As children and teenagers these dreams meant the world for us even if the adult world scoffed at them. Dreams are what drove us out of the world of fairy tales and into the world of real life. They may have been impossible, but they made us aspire. They made us believe. They made us who we are.

They cried of course. They didn’t want the fun days of music to end, even as a high note (again, no pun intended), but even they knew that the days of fun music at the clubroom was about to come to an end. As graduation looms in the horizon, they wanted to continue dreaming of Budokan, of playing in the grandest stage of them all, rocking the shit out of everyone’s minds and having a blast in the process. This was the dream they shared and the dream they wished would continue on. But they knew. They knew that these days would not last forever. At the end of their final festival performance, they knew that their K-On days were in its twilight.

Does the dream die this day?

Fuck no! They all said it best: It was great playing with all of you!

Perhaps the club, their club, ends on graduation, but dreams only end when you stop believing in them. They could always still make a band after high school, in college and even after, and with greater time the greater opportunity to make their dreams real. Just because you went your separate ways in high school doesn’t mean the friendship and the music stops. If you really believe in the music and the dream you all share, you will find ways to continue making the music you want to make. You will continue to be friends and continue trying to rock the shit in every performance you deliver.

I do not expect them to reach glory soon, but even if they never make it to Budokan, I fully expect them to keep trying in their own way: eating cake and drinking tea while procrastinating and complaining about the heat. Maybe they’ll be a bit too lazy to practice, but they’ll get to it eventually and when they do, they pour their heart and soul into every note and every lyric. This is what makes them who they are: Houkago Team Time.

High school may end, but Budokan will always be there waiting for you. As you continue to dream, so will you continue to play.

Spoiler for Cause it's big:

That is why the dream never dies.

The music never dies.
Old 2010-08-18, 08:59   Link #103
zette

Watched the episode again but this time with subs and being able to understand what was being said definitely helped to enhance my enjoyment of the episode although watching the raw was already an enjoyable experience itself.

I'm a bit surprised that people were annoyed by Yui's interaction with the crowd. I thought it was okay and she definitely did not reach the level of annoying that she sometimes is capable of. For me, it was part of what made this ep so enjoyable -- it showed that she was making the most out of the moment, and it was the playful Yui that we've all come to know. Difference in opinion, I guess.

The crying scene at the end affected me more this time than it did the first time, probably in part due to me enjoying the concert more with the subs. Seriously, Yui crying just does it for me, especially when she claimed that they were sweat instead of tears. It's just so different from the happy and carefree side of her, and goes to show how dedicated she is to the band -- a stark contrast from the Yui we saw at the beginning of the whole series.

Now that I know the lyrics of the songs, I can safely say that the two new songs they played will definitely be songs that I will enjoy when the single gets released. The first song is pure lulz and U & I is amazing. I love the voice of Hikasa Yoko but U & I is one song where I don't want to hear a Mio version of. It's a song written by Yui specifically for Ui so I think it's only right that she sings it.

This episode gets a 10/10 from me. Personally, I would have been fine with it if this episode was the final episode, thus ending the series on a bittersweet note where they succeeded in their final school festival but with the not-so-pleasant thought of graduation and Azusa being alone next year still lingering in their minds. But as it stands, we still have six more weeks of K-ON which I'm certainly grateful for.
Old 2010-08-18, 09:01   Link #104
rikolero

What's with the Vulcan salute?

Old 2010-08-18, 09:16   Link #105
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

This will be a double-header review, since I couldn't be bothered to review episode 19 last week. So . . .

Last week on K-ON!!
There was a play. And a sleepover, at the school. (dun, dun, DUNNN!) It was cute, but it was kinda underwhelming after episode 18. Um . . . Nathan Explosion! Six stolen tombstones out of ten.

This week on K-ON!!
It's New Employee Orientation at Mordhaus HTT's final school festival, and (barring something anime-original, or something out of left-field in the manga,) the final musical performance of the series. Let's see how it stacks up with K-ON!!'s other musical achievements.

The episode starts off with a sleeping Mio being surrounded by her exceedingly suspicious-looking classmates. The reason they look so suspicious? They caused Mio to have a dream she will never forget they drew stuff on her face arm. Lots of stuff. When Mio wakes up, she smashes Ritsu good and proper, causing her to suffer brain damage and spend the rest of the episode stuck midway between Ritsu and Juritsu.

Afterwards, they psych each other up. Evil Yui almost succeeds in getting them all to cheer on cake. Afterwards, there's a costume change, and they're on their way to the auditorium.

Meanwhile, under the watchful eye of Offdensen Nodoka, prospective Klokateers Tea Timers pair up and fight to the death. The victors are branded with the gear given HTT t-shirts. And, with that, I've just given away my next planned mashup video.

We rejoin the show as the girls are getting ready backstage. They remember their first few performances. They remember what a disaster they were. Mio gets PTSD flashbacks involving panties. Yui remembers how she forgot her guitar. They all remember how they looked like ADHD chimpanzees at the mikes. To prove to Mio that she'll never have to show off her panties again, Yui trips on some cords and takes one for the team.

Then, they discover that Nodoka and Sawako have been busy little bees. The curtains go up, and the girls discover that they now have their very own army of identically-dressed minions. At this point, we discover that KyoAni has blown the entire animation budget for this episode . . . on the redshirts. All those identically-dressed minions have unique faces and bodies. The crowd is lovingly animated, from the Tea Timer Cheerleading Squad in the front, to the two women at the cafe where Mugi sold HTT into slavery for the weekend. The girls of HTT (except for Ritsu . . . boy, do the animators love Ritsu,) sortof miss out.

Yui talks. Then, the first song is Yui's marijuana fast-food takeout song . . . the one the girls panned back on the songwriting episode. Somehow, it got rescued from the slush pile. Yui talks some more. KyoAni trolls us with the tail-end of Fuwa Fuwa Time. And then, Yui MCs. She thanks everything that moves, and quite a few things that don't. She gets Mio and Ritsu to reenact some of their Romeo and Juliet lines. She embarrasses Nodoka, and gets Sawako in trouble with school administration. This goes on for approximately 2,354,760,981 years. Without subs, Yui's incessant nattering seemed to enter an endless recursion of time.

With subs, it merely runs a little long. And we get to notice that it takes the emphasis away from the music, and puts it on the crowd's reactions to the girls. I'm convinced the de-emphasis of the music is wholly intentional on KyoAni's part. The S1E12 school concert scene was about the band overcoming challenges to play music. Chimp-faces aside, the instrumental work and the effort the girls put into performing were at the forefront. The audience was represented by cardboard cutouts in school uniforms. The S2E20 school concert scene is about a band, on top of its game, being able to experience a screaming crowd of eager and engaged fans.

After all that, HTT plays their final song The Gears U&I. It's a good song, and will undoubtedly sell like crack-laced hotcakes when the single comes out next month.

And then, it's over. The girls sit on the floor of the clubroom, in shocked disbelief of this fact. They talk about what comes next. There's many more cool things to do, Christmas, New Year, the spring membership drive. Graduation. Summer training camp. Next year's school festival . . . wait, wait, back up! Then, it hits them; this is their last year of high school. There's not going to be another summer training camp. There's not going to be another lazy summer spent in the clubroom. There's not going to be another school festival. Like all good things, their childhood is coming to an end.

The girls (well, except for Azusa, for whom none of this applies yet,) are overcome with grief, and mourn the passing of their childhood. Even manly Ritsu can't help but tear up, and the only thing saving her from bawling her eyes out like the rest is because Mio responded to "lycopene." Yui pulls them all into a group-hug.

After this, they're completely drained, and fall asleep on the club floor. Offdensen Nodoka, and Sawako walk in on them. We see hands being held. As if to say that, even though they'll soon be leaving childhood behind, they'll have each other . . . these memories and friendships are forever.

Post-episode follow-up: This episode does a very good job of suggesting a sense of finality . . . HTT's day of triumph, with screaming fans wearing HTT merchandise listening to the girls come together. At the beginning of the series, they dreamed of being on-stage in front of an enthusiastic crowd of fans. In the summer camp episode of this season, they participated in the adulation of other bands. And now, (albeit in miniature,) they finally get to truly experience it. And then afterwards, where they all realize that someday soon, this will come to and end. Yet, even though HTT itself, and the current iteration of their school keionbu may be coming to an end; the sleep-cute and hand-holding scene at the end tells us that their friendships will not.

Ten Gear tattoos HTT t-shirts out of ten.
Old 2010-08-18, 09:28   Link #106
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
It seems the word friendship has been forgotten by most of the Mugivision infected people in this thread.
damn it, we got Mugivision!
Old 2010-08-18, 09:30   Link #107
shyezrylei
Intoxicated Guitarist

Send a message via MSN to shyezrylei Send a message via Yahoo to shyezrylei
Finally coalguys subs are out!
Old 2010-08-18, 09:45   Link #108
krko
The Movie is Coming

I really love most of Yui's MCing except the repeated references to their play. It really shows how utterly comfortable Yui is on stage compared to the other girls. Both songs IMO are better than any of the other insert songs. Yui (with Ui's help)'s the better song writer I guess. The Jakka-jan part in U&I was also nice touch while the “donai yanen!” in Rice is a Side Dish made me lol. Whoever gonna dub these song has their work cut out for them.
One line in this episode really reinforces the sad undercurrent in season two. "I'd love to perform a little longer but...

I love how the camera change to give emphasis on that line.
Along with the last scene that made for for a very emotional episode. (Its strange how Ritsu's the one to bring them back to reality.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
U&I and Gohan are nice songs in their own right, but wait till the inevitable Hisaka Yoko versions come out
NEVER. There are some songs that are really meant for Yui. U&I is one them. I also can't imagine "Rice is a side dish" being successfully performed by Mio. That song really needs Yui's energy. Heck, they even got Ritsu a line for backup energy.

Last edited by krko; 2010-08-18 at 10:05.
Old 2010-08-18, 10:04   Link #109
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Spoiler for ep20:
Old 2010-08-18, 10:07   Link #110
Rem0rse

Is this the last episode!?!? I'd really hate to think it was D':

Is it the last season also? I've heard rumors about Season 3?
Old 2010-08-18, 10:08   Link #111
Shinoochaan
Emotional Grunt

This episode in particular made me realize how much I take school for granted. Sure, it's still annoying to have to sit in a classroom for 5 hours a day for 5 days of the week, but it's also the place where many of us made our closest friends. It's the place where we grew up and experienced many things. Joy, sadness, frustration, love, heartbreak. It also made me realize that I'd go through all of it again just to be with my friends. But even if that is impossible, and some day we will have to take our separate paths, there is always a bond that connects us wherever we go. A bond that will stand the test of time, and that, to me, is the greatest thing of all.

After watching this episode, and reflecting on my life in school (and what remains of it), I'm going to go eat. This sadness inside me is overwhelming. TuT
Old 2010-08-18, 10:18   Link #112
Chocolate Pocky

^^
Totally agree. This episode made me cry! But it was a fun episode too.
I didnt get to see the preview of the next epiosode...what happens in that?
Old 2010-08-18, 10:18   Link #113
zette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem0rse View Post

For the first question, no. There are 26 episodes planned for Season 2. For the second question, this is most probably the last season. The manga is ending in September which means that would be no more material to animate, leaving the chances for a season 3 to be little to none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinoochaan View Post
It also made me realize how much I take school for granted. Sure, it's still annoying having to sit in class for over five hours a day for five days a week, but school is also the place where (for most of us, anyways) we made our closest friends. It's the place where we grew up and experienced many things. Joy, sadness, love, heart break. Though it may seemed unbearable at times, we pulled through it. Why? Because we had friend's to experience it with.
Indeed. Episode 17 and this week's episode resonated well with me for this very reason, with ep17's focus being on how the best things are often taken for granted, while this week's focus being on the friendship and bonds between the band members. I'm in my last year of high school myself and the two episodes made me realize how important and precious these times are, and how I'll probably be missing them ten years down the road.
Old 2010-08-18, 10:21   Link #114
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem0rse View Post

No, there are, I believe six more episodes to go (seasons run in multiples of 12 or 13). It may be the last season for "K-ON" because the girls are graduating. The manga the series is based on is also coming to a close at the same time.

What is not known is whether there will be a spin-off manga, a sequel to the manga --- and then, of course, a possible season 3. There won't be any K-ON *next* season because the studio is already booked to do another series.

It depends on the manga-ka's future plans. The fans obviously HOPE for more -- either the adventures of the girls in college (with Azusa following later) or Azusa, Jun, Ui, and others having their own K-On experience.

As GMT said a few pages ago, Japanese culture tends to enforce the "settle down and be realistic" theme to a fault ("High school is over, time to to go college for a respectable job or marriage"). Personally, I'd like to think these girls will keep the band going at least part time --- like those Live! bands they played with in the bonus episode.
Old 2010-08-18, 10:23   Link #115
itzglez
♫♫♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Pocky View Post
^^
Totally agree. This episode made me cry! But it was a fun episode too.
I didnt get to see the preview of the next epiosode...what happens in that?
class photo shoot.
Old 2010-08-18, 10:23   Link #116
Shinoochaan
Emotional Grunt

Trying to cheer myself up here, and I think I found something. Well, it's not much, but... >_>

Spoiler for Why a third season is possible:
Old 2010-08-18, 10:25   Link #117
ReddyRedWolf

Now we know why Sawa-chan had eye bags last episode. Not only did she do every costume in the school but the T-Shirts as well. Make me wonder why she didn't go become a fashion designer.

I think there is more than just praise craving to Sawa-chan. While these girls are not Metal band of her youth they remind her of the past in Keion club and accepted as one of them. Sawa-chan isn't an adult but a teenager again around them. So she gave the best send off for their last culture festival.

I'm sure Sawa-chan and Azunyan will figure out a way to keep the club alive after the girls graduate. The tea and cakes must flow.

Anyway with luck the girls wont end up as Christmas cakes like her. They don't have that sort of interaction with guys anyway. Though in Azunyan's part that part timer last episode seems interested in her.
Old 2010-08-18, 10:43   Link #118
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Now we know why Sawa-chan had eye bags last episode. Not only did she do every costume in the school but the T-Shirts as well. Make me wonder why she didn't go become a fashion designer.
GTM and Vexx have that covered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
As GMT said a few pages ago, Japanese culture tends to enforce the "settle down and be realistic" theme to a fault ("High school is over, time to to go college for a respectable job or marriage"). Personally, I'd like to think these girls will keep the band going at least part time --- like those Live! bands they played with in the bonus episode.
Also I would really love it if the girls got a sequel of sorts that followed them playing part-time in a band while also in college. I want to see them get to budokan! :P
Old 2010-08-18, 10:43   Link #119
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Let it never be said that K-On! never tried to connect to its audience at much more personal level than mere moe and fluff and shit.

These are the types episodes I would gladly use as examples to people who blindly throw out moe shows as mere garbage without knowing a damn thing about the material in question.
Old 2010-08-18, 10:49   Link #120
Shinoochaan
Emotional Grunt

Just a random thought, what would your reaction have been if they ended the series right there with the two hands holding each other? xD
Closed Thread