AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-11, 20:56   Link #25061
GundamFan0083

This was the last incident similar to the shooting in Oregon.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...cials-say?lite

Just read another article about it.
Aparently 2 were shot and killed, and the gunman was "neutralized/killed" by the police. Only one other person was injured.
Why?
Becuase the AR-15 jammed, cops found a full magazine discarded on the ground.

Good thing this guy didn't have a shotgun.

Clackamas Town Center shooting: At least 2 shot dead, more injured by man with rifle
http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamasc..._shooting.html

Since we're on the gruesome subject of the carnage in the US, here's another little nasty article.

Teens Ask for Smoke, Kill Woman When She Replies "Get a Job": Cops
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...999041.html?dr

Last edited by GundamFan0083; 2012-12-11 at 21:11.
Old 2012-12-11, 21:06   Link #25062
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

North Korea launches rocket in defiance of critics

Quote:
(Reuters) - Isolated and impoverished North Korea launched its second long- range rocket of 2012 on Wednesday and may have finally succeeded in putting a satellite into space, the stated aim of what critics say is a disguised ballistic missile test.

The rocket was launched just before 10 a.m. Korean time (0100 GMT) and overflew the Japanese island of Okinawa.

A rocket launch by North Korea in April was aborted after less than two minutes flight. Wednesday's launch came after the North carried out repairs on the rocket, which South Korean officials said had been removed from its gantry on Monday.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8BB02K20121212

Old 2012-12-12, 06:02   Link #25063
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

More on the Korean launch at the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/13/wo...launching.html
Quote:
The defiance Mr. Kim showed with his latest launch alarmed the region, which is going through sensitive changes of leadership. It came four days before the Dec. 16 lower-house election in Japan, where right-wing leaders have been gaining political leverage, thanks partly to North Korean threats. The provocation also presented an early test for candidates for the Dec. 19 presidential election in South Korea, all of whom have called for dialogue with the North.

Since he took power, Mr. Kim has tried to cement his authority with what analysts described as halfhearted economic reforms among some farms and factories, highlighting the perceived threats from the country’s external enemies, and, most recently, raising the specter of a reign of terror through talk of “squashing rebellious elements” at home. A series of top generals have recently been fired or demoted.
The article also mentions South Korea's ballistic missiles. Apparently we reached an agreement with the ROK to let them triple the reach of these missiles. The DPRK not surprisingly treated this as a hostile act. I didn't even know the South had ballistic missiles; it certainly is not widely discussed here in the US. In that context the North's decision to push forward with missile development makes a lot more sense.
Old 2012-12-12, 06:32   Link #25064
Tom Bombadil

I am interested to find an explanation as why they are capable to launch a satellite. Most of the nations other than the superpowers that are capable to do this are either large developing nations (China, India) or affluent developed nations who can afford to throw a lot of money at the projects (Japan, France). So where exact does the North Korean got their technology from?
Old 2012-12-12, 07:23   Link #25065
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

CNN reports that the initial phases of Korean missile technology date back to the late 1970s. They started with Soviet Scuds and Chinese technical assistance. That piece links to this more extensive report from the International Institute for Security Studies. I found this paragraph especially interesting:
Quote:
North Korea has become the world’s most prolific exporter of ballistic missiles and related equipment, materials and technology – especially as other potential suppliers, such as China, have gradually withdrawn from the market. Over the past two decades, North Korea has sold at least several hundred Hwasong-5/-6 or No-dong missiles, as well as materials, equipment, components and production technology, mainly to countries in the Middle East, such as Egypt, Iran, Libya, Pakistan, Syria, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Yemen. During that time, North Korea’s missile export business has probably earned several hundred million dollars – a significant portion of North Korea’s hard currency earnings. Missile deals have also probably included barter arrangements for oil (with Iran) and nuclear technology (with Pakistan), and have provided North Korea with opportunities to test missiles offshore. In recent years, however, revenues from missile sales may have fallen off. Some of North Korea’s longstanding customers, such as Iran, have come close to achieving an independent production capability, reducing their need for North Korean imports and even presenting competition to North Korean sales. Other customers, such as Pakistan, Yemen, Egypt and the UAE and most recently Libya, have come under political pressure from Washington to sever their missile relationship with Pyongyang. Nonetheless, North Korea remains the world’s leading exporter of ballistic missiles and related technology.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-12-12 at 07:52.
Old 2012-12-12, 07:43   Link #25066
Sumeragi
Banned

In the case of ROK, they already fired their first ballistic missile in 1978, resulting in the Hyunmoo in 1982. The only reason ROK never had as extensive a missile program as DPRK is because of an agreement with the US to cap the range in 1979.
Old 2012-12-12, 09:02   Link #25067
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

U.S. military to boost Philippines presence; China tells army to be prepared
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8BB0LL20121212
Quote:
U.S. and Philippine officials are expected to agree on an increase in the number of U.S. military ships, aircraft and troops rotating through the Philippines, Filipino officials said, as tensions simmer with China over its maritime claims.
Old 2012-12-12, 14:06   Link #25068
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8BB02K20121212

(Reuters) - Isolated and impoverished North Korea launched its second long- range rocket of 2012 on Wednesday and may have finally succeeded in putting a satellite into space, the stated aim of what critics say is a disguised ballistic missile test.
My biggest fear is that the satellite is really a disguised atom bomb. Even if they lack the technology to make it hit earth, it can still do quite some damage if detonated above New York or near the international station and the leadership of north korea has blackmailed the west before, they might think a bomb in orbit could be their ultimate triumph card.
Old 2012-12-12, 15:10   Link #25069
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
My biggest fear is that the satellite is really a disguised atom bomb. Even if they lack the technology to make it hit earth, it can still do quite some damage if detonated above New York or near the international station and the leadership of north korea has blackmailed the west before, they might think a bomb in orbit could be their ultimate triumph card.
Why bother? why go through such elaborate steps when they can get the same result by "blackmailing", say, South Korea with a nuclear attack? It would be much simpler to execute, though either would be equally ineffective, unless they don't mind getting nuked right back.

Nukes are of value to the N. Koreans only when used as bargaining chips in negotiation rooms, using them in a hostile manner including the actual launch of a weapon like you said would be a scenario far worse than the Cuban crisis, and would almost certainly guarantee annihilation of the N.Korean regime.
Old 2012-12-12, 15:12   Link #25070
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
You've been playing too much Homefront.....

Old 2012-12-12, 15:24   Link #25071
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

N. Korea launching and detonating an a-bomb above the U.S. would be the same as you putting a noose around your neck and jumping off the chair.
Old 2012-12-12, 15:26   Link #25072
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Also, how would they even get it close enough?
Old 2012-12-12, 15:28   Link #25073
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I think they are assuming the North Koreans to use it as a EMP weapon, rather than attempting to drop it on anyone.
Old 2012-12-12, 15:32   Link #25074
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
You've been playing too much Homefront.....

That's impossible! ..The game is far too short for anyone to actually "play too much" of it ..

Now in other ominous news about things you should worry about:

Public Buses Across Country Quietly Adding Microphones to Record Passenger Conversations

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...-surveillance/

Outlook remains uncertain
Old 2012-12-12, 18:01   Link #25075
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwangmy...%28reflight%29

Now word is suggesting, less I'm wrong, that the second refit of Kwangmyŏngsŏng-3 did make orbit.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2012-12-12, 18:37   Link #25076
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Stephen Colbert reveals the secret behind North Korea's sudden technological leap forward.

I hope our government has figured out how to defend eight-year-old girls from this horrific threat!
Old 2012-12-12, 18:47   Link #25077
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwangmy...%28reflight%29

Now word is suggesting, less I'm wrong, that the second refit of Kwangmyŏngsŏng-3 did make orbit.
it did make orbit, but doesn't seem to be in any stable/regular orbit:

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...ials-say?lite"
Old 2012-12-12, 20:40   Link #25078
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
No offense, but I was hoping Quebec would seceed from Canada back in, what was it, 1995? Than they can be as French as they want outside of Canadian laws.

The trouble of course being, where are all the English speakers going to go?

After that failed, I was assuming the situation would have normalized, but it seems a generation or half generation or half generation later, the problems have come up again. But this time the UN has said that Quebec cannot leave like it was trying to previously (or at least that was my understanding).
Back then as a teenager, I had no idea what separation would mean since I didn't grasp the entire picture. But when Jacques Parizeau went on ranting against immigrants for losing the vote in the defeat speech, it was the last straw I needed before swearing to make PQ and all those bigots would be given hell as long as I live.

What happens right now involves the kids of all those bitter c**ts who are now adults and brainwashed by the old senile people bitter about losing 2 referendums. That's why I never shy away from saying that the day this debate is laid to rest is when all those old fools will all go into their graves (and that includes Pauline Marois). In normal time, PQ should be dead and buried if it wasn't for those idiots from rural counties and many among the old.

On the topic of North Korea, can we EMP the crap out of them once and for all? I'm sick and tired of their attempts to put everyone on the edge.
Old 2012-12-12, 21:11   Link #25079
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
You could. Just expect to get a dressing down from China and Russian the most part since they're in the SC. If Pyongyang got hit by a EMP attack, civilians can be caught in it too.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2012-12-12, 21:14   Link #25080
sa547
*Author

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/323173/...proves-rh-bill

14-year-old Reproductive Health Bill passed in Congress. Those against the bill are now fuming mad.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international