AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-02-07, 14:45   Link #81
davFunereal
Village watchman.

I'd like to download the season 1 batch of Narutaru, now that I know a thing or two about it. But there's no discussions about it here, not long ones.

Someone give me the word. Is it any good?
Old 2004-02-07, 15:07   Link #82
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffith
So let me get this straight..
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davFunereal
'd like to download the season 1 batch of Narutaru, now that I know a thing or two about it. But there's no discussions about it here, not long ones.

Yes, definitely.
Old 2004-02-07, 15:17   Link #83
Kotonoha
Alone in the Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by davFunereal
I'd like to download the season 1 batch of Narutaru, now that I know a thing or two about it. But there's no discussions about it here, not long ones.

If you already know and like the manga, probably, if no, probably not. The Narutaru anime basically just throws a bunch of weird and unresolved story elements at you without any conclusion at the end. The infamous last 3 episodes with their "mind-blowing" violence aren't really disturbing any more than your 08/15 splatter movie, Kitoh just thought it'd be fun to bring a character you hardly know be4 into the mix and let her kill some nasty kids. No identification, no real suspense.

As for Narutaru itself being disturbing, well, you can argue about that. To me, the end isn't anything more than Kitoh's personal settlement with the modern society. Reading up to vol 12, every reader should have noticed that this guy doesn't believe in a peaceful solution. Nearly _every_ conflict in this manga is ended with extreme violence. Narutaru basically represents the view of a very pessimistic person. If you think that's disturbing, well, then it might be.
Old 2004-02-07, 17:23   Link #84
Wilcon

Send a message via ICQ to Wilcon Send a message via MSN to Wilcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensuke
It is disturbing that people want to know about series where little girl is stabbed to death.

To me "dark" anime is just one genre. Sometimes I watch romantic series, then get tired of it and switch to more darker themes and after that maybe some mecha and so on...

If you want disturbing anime then watch Jin-Roh or Serial Experiments Lain, at least they were disturbing to me. (Both are licensed)
I dont like that kind of anime, i was just asking, cause i wanted to know what anime he was talking about.
Old 2004-02-07, 17:34   Link #85
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotonoha
Narutaru basically represents the view of a very pessimistic person. If you think that's disturbing, well, then it might be.
I agree with the good insight above, but I also think that it's disturbing because of that combined with the violence.

I've seen plenty of anime written by a pessimistic person, but they usually turn out boring for me since I'm not like that... Jin Ryo is a good example of that.

The violence alone doesn't disturb me too much anymore, see Fist of the North Star and try to hold back the giggles when someone's head explodes 100 liters of blood and guts ^_^.

My favorite disturbing anime is Key the Metal Idol (licensed). Dark as all get out with an intriguing storyline to boot.

I thought the Kenshin OVA cruel violence at the beginning was some of the worst I've ever seen in anime.

-k

BTW I thought the first couple of issues of the NaruTaru manga were not interesting enought to overcome the disturbing aspects, so I'm not watching the anime.
Old 2004-02-07, 17:56   Link #86
Deralti

Send a message via AIM to Deralti
fftopic:*sigh*, soon these shows are to be called "sensitive crap". God bless adrenaline freaks, neh?fftopic:

Due to previous things I've seen and played (SiN(game), Aliens Series, SiN(Anime Movie, which you should stay away from, it doesn't do the game any justice)), the shock factor of narutaru is significantly lower, but it still hit home more emotionally than to the gut. Gore and brutality isn't what attracts me to these sorts of shows, it's the emotional value of the characters. The "I'm a ruthless, heartless killer" sort of shows totally turn me off to this entire industry.
Old 2004-02-07, 20:58   Link #87
K_R
also known as K!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonEye
Stay away from Koroshiya, the anime and the manga. Just a fair warning, if you don't like disturbing stuff. It's just nasty.
But the Miike's 'Koroshiya 1' is OK?
Old 2004-02-07, 23:03   Link #88
Oiseau

Send a message via Yahoo to Oiseau
Someone renamed the thread to "Stay away from Koroshiya". What does Koroshiya have to do with anything ? The whole thread is about NaruTaru and how disturbing it is.

And yes, it is, so get a second season out already. ^_^
Old 2004-02-07, 23:37   Link #89
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Renamed thread to Narutaru disturbing Anime?!?
Old 2004-02-08, 02:44   Link #90
Umbrae
Generic Human

I have seen part of narutaru, and actualy I liked it. But I have the sence of humor to find a girl riped into 3 pices funny.

I can fully understand where the Azumanga Daioh = pokemon comes in. at first it kind of looks like a story about school kids that have monsters and fight. . . at first. although it holds true, that they are school kids, with cute (usualy) monsters, and they fight. what does not hold true is the light hartedness of pokemon / Azumanga Daioh or the comidy of Azumanga Daioh.

Basicly it is a more, shal we say realistic portrail of what these characters would act like forced into this situation.

Spoiler:

Overall it is a rather dark series. I would recomended it to my friends.
Old 2004-02-08, 03:14   Link #91
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiseau
Someone renamed the thread to "Stay away from Koroshiya". What does Koroshiya have to do with anything ? The whole thread is about NaruTaru and how disturbing it is.

And yes, it is, so get a second season out already. ^_^
Actually the first post was about Koroshiya, but the thread got hijacked by Narutaru.
Well to get on the main, if not original, topic; Narutaru was so disturbing because it first portrayed itself as a cute pokemonish anime. If that contrast wasn't there the anime wouldn't be nearly as disturbing. Also the realization that people who think like the characters in Narutaru do exist adds to the series' disturbing nature. Narutaru is a commentary on the darker elements of modern society. It hides that behind it's cute style and dragonets, but the message remains.
Old 2004-02-08, 03:19   Link #92
TheOneManArmy

It was easy that there was something disturbing about the series, it was banned in France and other contries and heavylli edited in others, that must be for something.

But I think it's alright to have such series, it put things more in perspective, we are too much used to see series in idealistic worlds where either only good people lives in it or bad people are just lame at beeing evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesaas
Not that many shows like that though.

Try something like Chrno Crusade or Full Metall Alchemist, they're a bit "safer"
I'd be a bit carefull about saying that for FMA if I were you.

Last edited by TheOneManArmy; 2004-02-08 at 11:55.
Old 2004-02-08, 05:21   Link #93
DemonEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_R
But the Miike's 'Koroshiya 1' is OK?
I forgot the "1" ok :P.
Old 2004-02-08, 06:56   Link #94
Sylvanthious

I would like to congratulate the original person who posted this thread on posting the most confusing thing I've seen. It took at least 5 posts down the thread before it seemed like anyone knew what the hell you were talking about.
Old 2004-02-11, 02:27   Link #95
roguenoir
Rogue Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by complich8
Narutaru's opening is an exercise in dissonance, both with the disparity of the anime and the happiness of the opening and with the actual animation in the opening itself.

The series itself is shocking, is disturbing, is nasty, and isn't for everyone. Don't let the chibi opening fool you.
I love disturbing anime that starts out lighthearted and gives you the wrong impression initially. Classic example is Evangelion.. any other suggestions?
Old 2004-02-11, 02:45   Link #96
goldenthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguenoir
I love disturbing anime that starts out lighthearted and gives you the wrong impression initially. Classic example is Evangelion.. any other suggestions?
Haibane Renmei. It left me wondering about life and afterdeath.
Old 2004-02-11, 04:22   Link #97
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenthal
Haibane Renmei. It left me wondering about life and afterdeath.
I dunno about that ....
for me, haibane started out cute but with kind of a melancholy air, and ended up happier, with acceptance of "we don't know where we come from or where we're going" and just living enjoying the moment. I won't say more for spoilers' sake, but maybe I just took something different from the flow of the mood in the series?
Old 2004-02-11, 04:29   Link #98
Lambda

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguenoir
I think Alien 9 and Now and Then, Here and There both fit well into that description. Gunbuster implements that kind of general structure perfectly, but doesn't apply it towards anything that can really be called disturbing.
Old 2004-02-11, 20:43   Link #99
manpurse
Goldstar gun.

Heh. I love dark anime. <3 Boogiepop and the recently finished Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari (aka, Hundred Stories) are both dark "vignette"-type tales with an really interesting interwoven storyline. Check it, y0. (I MISS HUNDRED STORIES!)

FMA has a rather gruesome opening. Besides that and later angst, it's fairly "safe." Nothing like that of Narutaru. :3

Narataru didn't disturb me with violence, it disturbed me with

Spoiler:

Besides that, it's one light-n-happy romp. :0

Another "light but dark" headtrip is RahXephon. Goodness knows, I love that show. <3

Oh! And Haibane Renmei was excellent. It gave me a WAFFy feeling at the end. The middle was pretty "claustrophobic"--that is, it was dark and possibly triggering. Good stuff. It's an excellent show.

Violinist of Hameln is dark! <3 It has melodramatic angst and depressing overtones and lots o' death. It didn't have a good enough budget to be gruesome. XD
Old 2004-02-11, 22:15   Link #100
CelestiaLegends

NaruTaru's one of those series thats strangely good, I would reccommend it if you could handle it...I'd even compare it to Onegai Teacher and Kanon; Not that they're anything alike but just something about them makes you like it.
Closed Thread

Tags
sci-fi