AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 30 25.86%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 53 45.69%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 19.83%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 7.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.86%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-12-27, 09:10   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Kanon - 2006 - Episode 13 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Kanon, Episode 13.

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for raws.
  • Try to keep spoilers from the game or manga out of the anime thread.
    If you need to in reply to someone with a reference to the game or manga, either PM them or use clearly marked spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for title:
Old 2006-12-27, 17:36   Link #2
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
So I'm thinking of a few things:

Something very strange happened in the previous episode. The ball turned into a fiasco. What will happen to Yuuichi, Mai, and Sayuri will really depend on how the rest of the school (embodied in the president of the student council) perceived the event. Did Mai really cause all that trouble? Are they so blind to think that a bunch of people can be tossed aside by air and blame Mai regardless? Or are they going to realize that a very strange phenomena transpired and people will start believing in demons, transforming foxes, and the like? There's only two ways Mai can go in my opinion: an instigator of trouble or a sword-wielding freak (for lack of a better term. The latter is actually the less harsh of the two).

There's always the possibility that the students (who actually took the blows besides the student council president) will see Mai as a hero despite the president's claims. But enough's enough. We'll see how the story unfolds within the next 24 hours.

Something I'm really wondering. This is episode two/three of the Mai subplot (depending on how you look at it). It's almost prime time to start delving into Mai's past. If you recall the OP to Kanon, there's a younger version of Mai wearing bunny ears and a boy (who could be regarded as Yuuichi) chasing each other in a field of wheat. This is pure speculation, but it would seem that Yuuichi and Mai did have a history seven years ago but they both forgot about it. Of course, this is based on the assumption that those two young kids in the wheat field really ARE Mai and Yuuichi - though I don't doubt it for a minute.

Okay, let's see what happens.
Old 2006-12-27, 18:25   Link #3
DanielSong39

Just a guess, but I don't think Mai's path will get any more development than she did in the 2002 version. A bit surprised that the dance came so early in her story - it served as a catalyst, rather than the climax in this version. It's certainly a sign that Mai's storyline is considered a secondary one in KyoAni's eyes.

In any case the true story won't really pick up until about Episode 19, when the Nayuki and Ayu arcs should start in full force. Think of the first ~18 episodes as the introduction for what is to come.

And if KyoAni comes up with a stunning series of episodes at the end, I'll be more than happy to give them my props.
Old 2006-12-27, 20:12   Link #4
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
In any case the true story won't really pick up until about Episode 19, when the Nayuki and Ayu arcs should start in full force. Think of the first ~18 episodes as the introduction for what is to come.
It does look like they're planning to save the Nayuki/Ayu routes until the other 3 heroines' stories are out of the way first. In the end, I think Mai (and Shiori) will probably get similar treatments as Makoto. That's not to say they're getting shunned, since I believe Kyoani is still doing a good job at this point. It's inevitable though, that a number of routes will have to be used as an introduction/foreshadowing to the deeper aspects of the overall tale. It would also fit the director's image of "all routes combining to make one big story".

If you think about it that way, this could mean the storytelling/development coverage will continue to improve as we progress along deeper into the "overall story".
For now, we can only believe in Kyoani. I'm sure they did their homework on this. ^^;
Old 2006-12-28, 01:35   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That storyboard layout just makes the most damn sense to me.
Spoilered note about primary players versus secondary players:
Spoiler:

I'm going to suggest a few of the posters above spoiler some of their comments about the story arcs or reframe them as speculation.

Mai may be *my* preferred choice but in terms of the story and the context, she's not the one I would write as the climactic finale ... though I have to say personally after watching Mai at the ball, *I'd* have been a bad choice for the story's male personality because I'd run off with Mai.
Old 2006-12-28, 01:58   Link #6
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
~ Mai may be *my* preferred choice but in terms of the story and the context, she's not the one I would write as the climactic finale ... though I have to say personally after watching Mai at the ball, *I'd* have been a bad choice for the story's male personality because I'd run off with Mai.
A lot of us would.

Cheers.
Old 2006-12-28, 18:29   Link #7
Meophist

Yuuichi is quite awesome

Boy, this episode feels like five episodes in one.
Old 2006-12-28, 18:33   Link #8
New/Old
Old to the New

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
A lot of us would.

Cheers.
Heh heh. Yep...
Old 2006-12-28, 19:46   Link #9
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Screenshots of episode 13 courtesy of Random Curiosity.
Spoiler:
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-12-28, 19:51   Link #10
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Just like i said in the episode 12 thread, much more Sayuri shall be added to fill the Mai arc - its about time my wonderful Sayuri was given her time to shine so much more.. <3

Anyway, shall be watching this episode soon, though from looking at the screenshots - Kuze is at it again, what a guy!
Old 2006-12-28, 19:52   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

well.. he's a politician. He stabbed backs, blackmailed, took favors... just like he's about to do now. Really unpleasant scum... in D&D shorthand, Lawful Evil.
Old 2006-12-28, 19:56   Link #12
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
well.. he's a politician. He stabbed backs, blackmailed, took favors... just like he's about to do now. Really unpleasant scum... in D&D shorthand, Lawful Evil.
Pfft, its annoying just how much some people hate the characters that are meant to be hate. :3

I love his type of character, 'cause they don't take crap & being who they truly are deep down - and Kuze is one of the main picks in the genre.
Old 2006-12-28, 20:08   Link #13
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Intertesting epside I didn't think ant eater would be so huge XD Anyone see the sloth from AIR?

Saiyuri looked so cute carrying him ^-^

I liked the fight scene in this one quite a bit too.
Old 2006-12-28, 21:36   Link #14
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
This episode was full of difficult words for me. I'll have to wait for a translation. = |

As far as aethetics goes, I think there were sections where Yuuichi's face didn't look consistant with the rest of the episode (or series in general). Some of the action looked kind of odd as well (Mai can really bend her body!). It's probably just the angle at which we're viewing. Oh well! It's anime. It happens all the time. lol

At least I understood the end part. Quite a turn of events. It's surprising, but my first instinct is "doesn't that contradict with what we saw in episode 3"?

More processed comments when the translation is released. :x
Old 2006-12-28, 22:29   Link #15
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

There's the anteater~

Story's going along at a nice pace. A large portion of Mai's route is focused around the same night school scenes, so I guess they're trying to add variety by adding original scenes like Yuuichi bring Ayu to school (which, by the way, was mean. Using Ayu as an excuse to go to school, and then dumping her once she's no longer needed ).

Anyway, not much for me to say. The story is stepping into the core of Mai's route now. Next episode will be quite an important one.

Still, the winner of this episode was:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-12-28, 22:43   Link #16
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Pfft, its annoying just how much some people hate the characters that are meant to be hate. :3

I love his type of character, 'cause they don't take crap & being who they truly are deep down - and Kuze is one of the main picks in the genre.
Odd I didn't say I hated the character. He's necessary to the story in order that Mai's situation evolve (kind of like Sauron is necessary for LOTR). I do find your assessment of him odd.... he strikes me exactly as the kind of person who rather than confronting crap head on (honorably) prefers to work behind closed doors (as he's about to do in executing extortion). I find him unethical and a manipulator - but I'll agree he's being that truly and deep down Its a lot of fun playing Lawful Evil characters in D&D, ya know
Old 2006-12-28, 22:46   Link #17
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I didn't say you hated him, my post was aimed at people who do taken from what you posted.
Old 2006-12-28, 23:00   Link #18
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ah. my mistake. yeah, people sometimes forget that story dynamic *requires* villians. Kanon probably could have made him more complex than they did but I'd have to spoilerage too much to say what they could have done with him.
Old 2006-12-29, 01:46   Link #19
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
I've come to realise that every little appearance that Ayu has (however insignificant when going through the arcs of other girls) is actually a slow but steady build-up to who she might be *Opinion based off someone who has never touched Kanon before till now*.

There's no denying Kuze is hateable, mainly because he's not looking at things from a third-person POV, unlike us viewers. You can be somewhat disgusted with his attitude, but eventually what he wants to do to Mai is mainly due to the fact that she never denied that any of the things that happened were her doing and his probable eagerness on keeping order in the school as a student council president.

Spoiler:

Just random thoughts from Omni's Kanon2K6 entry since I don't understand RAWs. Don't mind me too much.
Old 2006-12-29, 02:04   Link #20
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Actually he's got less pleasant reasons than just "keeping order" but those will be revealed (unless KyoAni tweaks the story).