AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2014-09-10, 01:07   Link #1501
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroi Sekai View Post
Odds of it are so astronomically low though. And in that case once again, the skilled players will easily earn it back in the long run. Losing one round by double riichi means little in a proper Mahjong game.
Well, then perhaps I'm under that astronomically low odds. Look at that last round.
Old 2014-09-10, 01:21   Link #1502
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Well, then perhaps I'm under that astronomically low odds. Look at that last round.
Perhaps you are. How often does it happen to you, might I ask? I've played well over a thousand hands, and I've had it happen maybe twice at most. I then proceeded to get trumped by my clearly superior opponents.
Old 2014-09-10, 01:47   Link #1503
Kimidori
Let's Play

Quote:
Double riichi means he got only one discard, ippatsu means he won off other's first discard or on tsumo. Aside from throwing the exact same tile the guy just threw, there's not much way to defend against that.
the chance is low, and as other said, and winning one hand mean almost nothing in a mahjong game overally, there are many rounds to get back, not to mention thing like renchan, there are many way to get back if you're good.

in my newbie unranked days I had plenty of lucky win that gave me a >20k point lead against others, but I always get overtaken then and sometimes got beaten to last place from those lead.

I only had to fight against double riichi once, and in the end the guy who called double riichi didn't win because it was a low chance closed wait for a 6 to complete a 567 sequel, if it was a good player he sure would have tried for a better wait.
Old 2014-09-10, 02:02   Link #1504
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroi Sekai
Perhaps you are. How often does it happen to you, might I ask? I've played well over a thousand hands, and I've had it happen maybe twice at most. I then proceeded to get trumped by my clearly superior opponents.
The exact same thing? Just that once. Though things like this is not uncommon. It's easy to aim for a win, as you can see I achieved tenpai a lot even in such a bad game. And I've also had a number of good games where I steadily climbed from bottom to the top. What's really hard is to not let everyone else deal in to you. Admittedly, I still have a hard time ignoring the lure of win to avoid losing. A lot of the time I threw a tile thinking "someone's gonna take this" and that's what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori
in my newbie unranked days I had plenty of lucky win that gave me a >20k point lead against others, but I always get overtaken then and sometimes got beaten to last place from those lead.
And this is what I meant by "it's easy to win, it's harder to not lose".
Old 2014-09-10, 02:12   Link #1505
Kimidori
Let's Play

Quote:

And this is what I meant by "it's easy to win, it's harder to not lose".
if it was easy to win, I could have just won the rest of the game and hold on to the 1st place the lucky win gave me.

I win more overally now because my skill got better make me win hands more consistently, most of my overall win I don't even have those lucky win that give me lead.

how do you explain pro winning all the game when they play with us "casual" then?
Old 2014-09-10, 02:36   Link #1506
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

There's a lot more skill requirement in mahjong than most other form of gambling due to it's complexity in rules.

Luck will always be a factor but with skill, you can generally maintain a lead over others in the course of multiple games. There more you learn about the game, the better you become at minimizing the luck factor (i.e when to push for bigger hand and when to shut your opponent out with a small hand)

Personally, double riichi isn't much at all due to it's value and frequency (most double rii are very poor hands) . Not to mention, people would immediately go for quick wins to shut out the double riichi. It's the big hands that people need learn to watch out for, those are game changers. Getting hit by a baiman or haneman is enough to turn the tables around and those happen way more frequently.
Old 2014-09-10, 02:44   Link #1507
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
if it was easy to win, I could have just won the rest of the game and hold on to the 1st place the lucky win gave me.

I win more overally now because my skill got better make me win hands more consistently, most of my overall win I don't even have those lucky win that give me lead.

how do you explain pro winning all the game when they play with us "casual" then?
You didn't hold on to the 1st place because you lost. And not losing is really harder than winning. It may sound like I'm playing with words, but really, "winning" and "not losing" is different in riichi mahjong. Tangential, but to quote a Warhammer 40K Imperial Guardsmen, "capturing it was easy, holding it will be hard."

Casuals don't try to not lose. People normally have a huge mental block to even start utilizing betaori. It would take a huge mental training to start utilizing the suji tricks. Pros utilize this mental block and even use the suji tricks to trap others to deal in to their hands.

Put it into an extreme, "if you win at all, it means you're in luck. And if you lose, it just means that you suck". Sadly, I still suck a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat
Personally, double riichi isn't much at all due to it's value and frequency (most double rii are very poor hands) . Not to mention, people would immediately go for quick wins to shut out the double riichi. It's the big hands that people need learn to watch out for, those are game changers. Getting hit by a baiman or haneman is enough to turn the tables around and those happen way more frequently.
Indeed, I also don't normally put much thought to a double riichi, that was why I called a chi on the guy thinking it wouldn't pose too much problem, to my demise.

And the bold is very true. It also echoes what I said earlier about winning and not losing.
Old 2014-09-10, 05:28   Link #1508
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Indeed, I also don't normally put much thought to a double riichi, that was why I called a chi on the guy thinking it wouldn't pose too much problem, to my demise.

And the bold is very true. It also echoes what I said earlier about winning and not losing.
It's a matter of rolling the dice at that point and i would just shrugged it off as just being unlucky. No matter how well i've become or how long i have played, there will always be games that is out of my control.

I think the best advice for new players is don't be greedy and try to win every hand and pay attention to the discards of your opponent instead of thinking too much about your own hand. The common mistake i see new player make is constantly thinking about how to make their hand bigger and end up getting hit by their opponent and if playing in real life, don't be intimidated by your opponent.

A lot of times, i was able to get away with terrible hand just by scaring my friends into thinking i'm tenpai already (i normally only play HK/SEA mahjong which doesn't have riichi).

It's possible to win the round with multiple small hands but it's also possible to win the round with a single big hand.
Old 2014-09-10, 12:24   Link #1509
Kimidori
Let's Play

Quote:
You didn't hold on to the 1st place because you lost. And not losing is really harder than winning. It may sound like I'm playing with words, but really, "winning" and "not losing" is different in riichi mahjong. Tangential, but to quote a Warhammer 40K Imperial Guardsmen, "capturing it was easy, holding it will be hard."

Casuals don't try to not lose. People normally have a huge mental block to even start utilizing betaori. It would take a huge mental training to start utilizing the suji tricks. Pros utilize this mental block and even use the suji tricks to trap others to deal in to their hands.

Put it into an extreme, "if you win at all, it means you're in luck. And if you lose, it just means that you suck". Sadly, I still suck a lot.

still, player with higher skill will recognize their hand better, watching my replay many time I kick myself for throwing away a good wait, a good yaku and a meld in a intertwined and complicated hand just because I didn't see it, those cost me some hand I could have won, higher skill player sure will see that, and instead, winning those.
Old 2014-09-10, 20:00   Link #1510
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Double riichi means he got only one discard, ippatsu means he won off other's first discard or on tsumo. Aside from throwing the exact same tile the guy just threw, there's not much way to defend against that.
Statistically speaking winds, dragons, and honors are still safer due to their being less wait options on them. As well as tiles used for sequences with the dora indicator.

Quote:
Well first off, I would never call a tile would someone has double riichi unless that call was going to put you into tenpai , by not letting yourself draw you have less options on trying to discard a safer tile and discarding a mid number tile (3-7s) that early is extremely risky
Konakaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-10, 21:02   Link #1511
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Statistically speaking winds, dragons, and honors are still safer due to their being less wait options on them. As well as tiles used for sequences with the dora indicator.

Well first off, I would never call a tile would someone has double riichi unless that call was going to put you into tenpai , by not letting yourself draw you have less options on trying to discard a safer tile and discarding a mid number tile (3-7s) that early is extremely risky
What can I say? Hindsight's a bitch.

Also, I'd say winds, dragons, dora indicator and tiles near it are actually much riskier.
Old 2014-09-10, 21:58   Link #1512
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Also, I'd say winds, dragons, dora indicator and tiles near it are actually much riskier.
They have a greater risk since can raise hand value, but a lower frequency in occurrence since double riichi is basically a "random" tenpai hand. While Mid number tiles are lower risk somewhat since doesn't necessarily raise its value, but high frequency.
Konakaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-12, 18:06   Link #1513
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Oh look, as per someone's request, I decided to play one game, Oh Tenhou, you haven't changed one bit. Stay classy. And yes I misclicked in the last round.

http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2014091307g...-ea41934e&tw=0
edit:
And then this game: http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2014091406g...-9faf3c2b&tw=2 3I was confused the 3rd game.
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2014-09-13 at 17:07.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahjong