AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Which is the shipping method you often use when make an online transaction?
SAL (Surface Air Lifted) 3 10.34%
EMS (Express Mail Service) 8 27.59%
Courier (DHL, UPS, FedEx......) 15 51.72%
Others (State of the post) 3 10.34%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-11-24, 20:13   Link #1
abc0716

Shipping method you often to use when purchasing something on Internet

Since the popularity of online-shopping becomes even more larger compare with years ago, many peoples starts to purchasing goods via sites like Ebay, Amazon or others as an alternate way to get their wanted goods.

Picking a shipping method to receive the goods is mandatory on every web-transaction. So the purpose of this thread's creation is let the users share their good / bad experience on the shipping methods they used / using.

P.S. Oops typo on the poll answer, not really sure how to edit it

Last edited by abc0716; 2011-11-24 at 20:25.
abc0716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 20:19   Link #2
hyl
reading #hikaributts

For me Sal ( most of the time unregistered) works the best.
1. It's cheap
2. Regardless that it says that it takes 2-6 weeks, the longest time that i had to wait is 3 weeks and the shortest time is 1 week.
3. If i use a more expensive shipping method, then my item will surely be delayed due to the strict customs in my country. In the worst case i have to pay custom fees + VAT as well and there will be atleast a delay of 1 week. Making it effectively just as fast as Sal.

The customs in my country seems more stupid by less likely not checking packages send by cheaper shipping methods. If i use EMS or Fedex, my package will be surely intercepted by the customs. Because they will think that the items are more expensive seeing the expensive shipping costs.

edit: i hate europe with it's high VAT
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 20:40   Link #3
Kyuu
=^^=

Lowest cost option possible. Why pay extra to get your stuff faster? What's the hurry?

No, really. What's the hurry?

As for the delivery service - UPS or FedEx will do. Depends on who the site relies on.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 20:42   Link #4
hyl
reading #hikaributts

The only rush i have are imported video games (mostly fighting games to prepare myself more for tournaments or casual play like blazblue), but otherwise i don't need something in 1 week.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 20:50   Link #5
Tenken's Smile
Eternity Wish

USPS or UPS.
Old 2011-11-24, 20:56   Link #6
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Cheapest one. Most of the stuff than I buy online is from Amazon.ca, and even with free delivery I got my stuff before 3 open day after the e-mail confirming the shipping.
Old 2011-11-24, 23:31   Link #7
Kudryavka

When buying stuff domestically, I always get the cheapest ground shipping. I've got no rush, and tracking is always included with ground with my stores anyway.

From Japan, I go unregistered SAL; but if the package is expensive and an LE that can't be easily replaced, I'll go EMS or courier (usually courier because EMS relays the package to USPS, my local branch of which has issues). But with the yen skyrocketing in value, it's hard to ever go anything more than SAL.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 23:39   Link #8
InuoeK

I usually go with SAL, but if its something I'm not willing to risk (Figures haha) I use EMS.
InuoeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 23:41   Link #9
iceyfw

UPS or FedEx. shoprunner for online purchases eligible for it from newegg. USPS is the dead last option i would ever consider. i hate their tracking system.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 23:45   Link #10
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

I just like buying enough for free shipping
Old 2011-11-25, 00:18   Link #11
Kirarakim

I used to always do EMS but because of the lousy exchange rate I've started to do more SAL (registered or unregistered depends on the item).

I have ordered a few things unregistered but I have to admit I get nervous by the lack of tracking information. However I do hate having to sign for the registered stuff since I am never home when it is delivered and I have to go out of my way to pick it up at a post office (which isn't exactly near by).
Old 2011-11-25, 00:56   Link #12
Fahd
* >/dev/null

Seeing as 99% of what I buy online is from domestic sites and I'm cheap, I just use the slowest option available, which gets things to me within 3-5 days. An extra couple of days of not having, e.g. a hard-drive, is easily worth the ~£5 in my pocket. Only twice have I had a product damaged on arrival (loose DVDs that were heavily scratched) and both times that was a result of bad packaging rather than poor practise on the part of the shipping company.

When ordering from overseas I'll use the cheapest air option available with tracking. If the product has a low'ish value then I don't worry about tracking as I won't be too upset if it ends up missing. Fortunately, none of my low value shipments have gone missing yet .
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-25, 01:18   Link #13
Alchemist007
*Author

The cheapest thing available. I had Amazon Prime for a couple years for free since I was a student. Now they changed it to only 50% off and I'm not a student anymore either.
Old 2011-11-25, 04:38   Link #14
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Lowest cost option possible. Why pay extra to get your stuff faster? What's the hurry?

Because I DON'T trust the employees in logistics. In my months spent as a security agent, I have seen my fair share of goods getting broken by employees either being reckless or tired. Or shit conveniently "falling" out of the truck. So the less time it's spending in the transport and in the warehouses, the less I worry. People have their reasons to want their goods to come fast, you know?
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-25, 05:40   Link #15
relentlessflame

*Administrator

For me, when it comes to domestic or regional items, I'll generally go for the cheapest option that offers some sort of tracking. But for International, always registered and insured for me, and the method is typically driven by the shop I purchase from. If I have a choice between EMS and a Courier, I'd generally pick the cheaper of the two options.
Old 2011-11-25, 08:57   Link #16
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post

As for the delivery service - UPS or FedEx will do. Depends on who the site relies on.
Registration and insurance if it ships from overseas. For example, EMS offers tracking from US-SG, but SAL doesn't.

That extra cost is worth it if it is cross region. If it is just from SEA, I would just go for the lowest.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-25, 21:37   Link #17
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

I prefer EMS - insurance and tracking are the big pluses for me, and its relatively cheaper than using the more expensive courier options, though as others have said, it has been dependent on the shop I'm buying from.

Most of the stuff I've bought online have been sent through the EMS Speedpost option. I like to know where and when a package is, since I don't like the increased risk of unregistered mail getting lost in transit. The last item I ordered took about 5 days (rather, 3 days after it got shipped).
I think I've only ever used the UPS option once (from Play-Asia)- but it was well worth the speed of which they delivered (2 days after shipping).
I've bought games from OzGameShop, based in the UK. They only offer a default, insured and unregistered shipping option (I'm guessing Royal Mail Airmail), so it takes about 14 days for items to arrive. In comparison to local game prices, they are far cheaper.
Old 2011-11-26, 00:06   Link #18
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Japan<->US: SAL, simply never had a problem with it and it often arrives in a couple of weeks.

Domestically (US): Generally UPS as Fedex often runs higher... but I've never had any problem using USPS Priority Mail or Media Rate either. OTOH, DHL is notoriously inept in my region.
Old 2011-11-26, 03:11   Link #19
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Japan<->US: SAL, simply never had a problem with it and it often arrives in a couple of weeks.

Domestically (US): Generally UPS as Fedex often runs higher... but I've never had any problem using USPS Priority Mail or Media Rate either. OTOH, DHL is notoriously inept in my region.
That is because DHL stands for Deliver Halfway Lost; it is the same over here.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-26, 04:36   Link #20
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
That is because DHL stands for Deliver Halfway Lost; it is the same over here.
Thats interesting, because in Germany DHL is the main courier and FedEx and UPS are just there so that DHL doesn't look like a monopolist.
That our formerly state owned, now privatized Post AG holds the majority of DHL shares can basically be attributed for Germany being a defacto DHL delivery country.

That said I have to say, that domestically (in Germany) nothing beats DHL in reliability and speed. Typically you get your domestic online purchase within 2-3 work days (for Amazon and other large retailers typically within 2 work days, and most of the time free of charge - e.g. requires to buy a minimum worth 20€ on Amazon which is rather easy). There is also a more expensive express service which ships over night.