AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Which is the shipping method you often use when make an online transaction?
SAL (Surface Air Lifted) 3 10.34%
EMS (Express Mail Service) 8 27.59%
Courier (DHL, UPS, FedEx......) 15 51.72%
Others (State of the post) 3 10.34%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-11-26, 04:58   Link #21
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
Thats interesting, because in Germany DHL is the main courier and FedEx and UPS are just there so that DHL doesn't look like a monopolist.
That our formerly state owned, now privatized Post AG holds the majority of DHL shares can basically be attributed for Germany being a defacto DHL delivery country.

That said I have to say, that domestically (in Germany) nothing beats DHL in reliability and speed. Typically you get your domestic online purchase within 2-3 work days (for Amazon and other large retailers typically within 2 work days, and most of the time free of charge - e.g. requires to buy a minimum worth 20€ on Amazon which is rather easy). There is also a more expensive express service which ships over night.
The DHL problems appear to be regional (blame the regional management is my guess). They're *terrible* in the Pacific NW of the US... but have a good record in the Texas region and Northeast (based on the data from several corporations I am familiar with internally).
Old 2011-11-26, 09:30   Link #22
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
Thats interesting, because in Germany DHL is the main courier and FedEx and UPS are just there so that DHL doesn't look like a monopolist.
That our formerly state owned, now privatized Post AG holds the majority of DHL shares can basically be attributed for Germany being a defacto DHL delivery country.

That said I have to say, that domestically (in Germany) nothing beats DHL in reliability and speed. Typically you get your domestic online purchase within 2-3 work days (for Amazon and other large retailers typically within 2 work days, and most of the time free of charge - e.g. requires to buy a minimum worth 20€ on Amazon which is rather easy). There is also a more expensive express service which ships over night.
I lost 1 shipment through DHL, and it is a limited edition plushie. You have no idea how heartbroken I am despite getting a successful insurance claim.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-26, 21:35   Link #23
abc0716

Anyone here used Fedex International Economy services before?

Planning to use this method to import the items I want when purchasing on some sites (as they provided), since it's cheaper than usual Fedex, but longer transit time.

By the way, seems like many peoples are 'pretty' trust with their local postal services (registered parcel or SAL), as I heard on my local forum, most people's shipments had been detain, or even confiscated (quite rare case) by the customs, eventhough they're not importing prohibited items...

Last edited by abc0716; 2011-11-27 at 07:50. Reason: Ugh, used the wrong grammar...
abc0716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-27, 06:47   Link #24
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc0716 View Post
By the way, seems like many peoples are 'pretty' trust with their local postal services (registered parcel or SAL), as I heard on my local forum, most people's shipments had been held, or even confiscated (quite rare case) by the customs, eventhough they're not importing prohibited items...
Which country do you live in?
Thankfully over here, the value limit of imported goods before they are taxed is AUD1000, and Customs is generally not so strict (heck, some people have imported the latest Mortal Kombat, which is banned here thanks to outdated classification laws, mass media propaganda and backwards thinking people. Then again, the packages they are in are probably generically labelled "Optical Media").

But I disgress... even for unregistered mail, the posties here are mostly reliable, thus why I trust them. Though I've had a few instances where my Ozgameshop packages (as I said earlier, standard Airmail) were thrown on my doorstep, and one instance of having to go to the local post office to pick up an Ozgameshop package (I was home at the time! That lazy postie...).

Another reason I choose EMS (and to some extent the high-speed courier services): the courier has to deliver to you personally or someone else on your behalf, they won't leave a package on your doorstep or elsewhere unless you give specific instructions (I think this only applies to courier services), and if it's EMS, then it's lodged at the local post office. If it's a higher-value package via a courier service though (such as a laptop), it does seem they have to reschedule delivery.
Old 2011-11-27, 19:40   Link #25
Kudryavka

Speaking of which, does EMS absolutely have to deliver the package to a person? They can't just leave it at the doorstep even with special instructions to do so? My last USPS guy loved to leave those "attempted delivery" slips without even trying to deliver it, so that he could finish his shift ten minutes early or something. >.>
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-27, 21:49   Link #26
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Speaking of which, does EMS absolutely have to deliver the package to a person? They can't just leave it at the doorstep even with special instructions to do so? My last USPS guy loved to leave those "attempted delivery" slips without even trying to deliver it, so that he could finish his shift ten minutes early or something. >.>
http://www.upu.int/en/the-upu/ems-unit/about-ems.html
Can't say I speak for everyone here, but from personal experience, EMS generally does require delivery to a person since a signature is required for delivery. The tracking system allows you and the sender to see where a package is at during the delivery process (e.g. processing at [town] postal delivery centre), and ensures that the sender knows if a package is successfully delivered, and the receiver knows where their package is. If it can't be delivered, then it's lodged at the local (nearest) post office, and the "attempted delivery" slip is placed in your mailbox.

Down here, the lighter EMS/Registered post is generally handled by the courier arm of Australia Post (government-owned). In regards to the "delivery to a person and sign" requirement, it's generally the same with the courier companies such as FedEx, UPS and Star Track Express, except that you can (sometimes) give special instructions to leave items on the doorstep (or someplace else), instead of having to reschedule a delivery. This is dependent (I think) on where you are buying from, what you are buying, and/or which courier company is delivering to you, however- I haven't seen many places offer this option, though I believe UPS offered this based on the last time I used it.

If it's an unregistered package, chances are that it won't get treated very well in comparison to registered mail, especially if it's bulkier than a standard envelope. By that I mean:
  • placed/thrown on your doorstep, or some other place near your front door; potentially vulnerable to being stolen, or
  • lazy posties writing up "delivery attempted/pick up package at local post office" slips before checking if anyone's home.
Note that what actually happens might be dependent on what is actually being delivered.
Old 2011-11-28, 00:25   Link #27
Oblivion

I have a question about EMS. If they deliver and you happen to not be at home, what happens? Do they try again another day or do they make you come pick it up at the post office?
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-28, 00:59   Link #28
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
I have a question about EMS. If they deliver and you happen to not be at home, what happens? Do they try again another day or do they make you come pick it up at the post office?
It depends on your country. In some countries they may attempt a second delivery, but in others they send it to the local post office or distribution center for pick-up. Because it's a service offered through your local country's postal service, they are allowed to have their own standards/rules.

(In your country's case, though, I can tell you they only attempt delivery once, and after that deliver it to the closest post office.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc0716 View Post
Anyone here used Fedex International Economy services before?

Planning to use this method to import the items I want when purchasing on some sites (as they provided), since it's cheaper than usual Fedex, but longer transit time.
No problems with FedEx International Economy here. I think it's a pretty good choice if it's available, as it tends to be cheaper than EMS but offer most of the same benefits. In my country, I'd say it about matches or slightly exceeds EMS for speed.
Old 2011-11-28, 01:10   Link #29
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Here in Mexico, Estafeta delivers all around the country in about two-three days max. Been using them for a while now when ordering things online and they have yet to take longer than 2 days to deliver something to my house.
Old 2011-11-28, 01:21   Link #30
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
It depends on your country. In some countries they may attempt a second delivery, but in others they send it to the local post office or distribution center for pick-up. Because it's a service offered through your local country's postal service, they are allowed to have their own standards/rules.

(In your country's case, though, I can tell you they only attempt delivery once, and after that deliver it to the closest post office.)

No problems with FedEx International Economy here. I think it's a pretty good choice if it's available, as it tends to be cheaper than EMS but offer most of the same benefits. In my country, I'd say it about matches or slightly exceeds EMS for speed.
Indeed, in my case, one attempt at delivery before being sent to the local post office awaiting pickup.
Never encountered an online store that offered FedEx I.E., which stores offer this?
Old 2011-11-28, 02:17   Link #31
abc0716

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
Never encountered an online store that offered FedEx I.E., which stores offer this?
Play-Asia. (Planning to get some PS3 games since local stores don't have the one I want) However I think they offer the Fedex I.E for some territories/countries only, maybe.....

Last edited by abc0716; 2011-11-30 at 17:05.
Old 2011-11-28, 02:27   Link #32
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

UPS for me. Everyone else is trying to charge me outrageous prices, including FedEx.
Old 2011-11-29, 06:00   Link #33
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Alright, placed a Play-Asia order with the following items:
  • Bejeweled 3 (PS3 US)
  • Unmei wa Endless! [LE] (K-ON! Movie Insert & Opening Songs)
  • Singing! [LE] (K-ON! Movie Ending Song)
After a USD5 discount, the items totalled USD58.38...
And these were the shipping options and their prices:
  • Economy Air Bubble: USD8.90 (USD12.90 w/ Registered)
  • Economy Air Box: USD10.90 (USD14.90 w/ Registered)
  • EMS Speedpost: USD23.90
  • FedEx: USD27.90
  • UPS: USD30.90
Slightly surprised that UPS is somehow more expensive than FedEx this time around (actually, it was the same with the order I placed earlier this month as well). And I don't think it's the International Economy service either, despite the fact that the I.E. service is available here (perhaps PA don't offer it for shipping to Australia?).
This will probably be the third time I've had something delivered via FedEx (the first two being Windows 7 Ultimate and Office 2010 Professional Academic), but it'll be about a week before I can gauge how fast this will arrive.
Old 2011-11-29, 22:28   Link #34
Kirarakim

Well I think I am done with Unregistered SAL. Ordered the Tiger & Bunny art book from CD Japan and it still hasn't come and it's been more than 3 weeks. They did say it could take up to 12 weeks but I live on the East Coast of the US, that seems a bit unreasonable. And I really don't think I can take the heartache of not knowing where my items are. Patience is not my virtue I guess.

I already shipped one other thing that way but I think I will be sticking to registered SAL from here on after. At least it's cheaper than EMS but still has limited tracking and insurance. I just wish you didn't have to sign for it!
Old 2011-11-29, 22:42   Link #35
Oblivion

I'm wondering how much the extra cost from EMS would be for my order? I ordered two PC games, so how much extra would it cost me then? Does the price of what the items I bought matter or is it just based on size?
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 22:54   Link #36
abc0716

Oh lol, I just 'accidentally' made an order on Play-Asia (because I just want to test whether my debit card is okay for online shopping or not), anyway I will eventually 'use' them (ordered 3 PS3 games, 1 HDMI cable and 1 trading figure).

However, Play-Asia does 'indeed' provide Fedex I.E. service for my country (Malaysia), I'm pretty surprise.

Edit: My shipment needs at least 8 days (maximum 18 days) to arrive even-though I choose Fedex I.E. as the shipment option, since one of the game I ordered requires 5-15 days for them to prepare.

Edit: Heh PA just shipped my orders, hope I can get it on time.

Last edited by abc0716; 2011-11-30 at 17:05.
Old 2011-11-30, 03:43   Link #37
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Anything out of country tends to be EMS or the USPS equivalent. I just prefer getting things quickly and the extra safety of insurance and tracking is reassuring.

Local purchases are usually by at least registered or insured express.

However I can still get items from Japan via EMS quicker than I can get a registered parcel from one side of Australia to the other. Haha.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 04:48   Link #38
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
Anything out of country tends to be EMS or the USPS equivalent. I just prefer getting things quickly and the extra safety of insurance and tracking is reassuring.

Local purchases are usually by at least registered or insured express.

However I can still get items from Japan via EMS quicker than I can get a registered parcel from one side of Australia to the other. Haha.
Well, the general culture over here is a bit more... care-free, right?
Then again, I assume AusPost also use the air to deliver registered post, especially the express priority ones, right? Though I wouldn't put it past them to simply use road trains (trucks) to transport the lower-priority mail from coast-to-coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
I'm wondering how much the extra cost from EMS would be for my order? I ordered two PC games, so how much extra would it cost me then? Does the price of what the items I bought matter or is it just based on size?
As with most postal options, cost of the package is mainly dependent on both the weight of the items alongside the size of the package. Since EMS is quicker than SAL (due to it being given higher priority), this means it is a more expensive option. It is, however, certainly a good middle ground in comparison between standard unregistered Airmail and using the courier/logistics companies.

Last edited by blaze0041; 2011-11-30 at 06:21.
blaze0041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 05:34   Link #39
abc0716

Just received my items (1st part, since they make a partial shipping) on this afternoon, seems like Fedex is quite a reliable courier company

By the way, I haven't open the package to check the items
Old 2011-12-01, 05:58   Link #40
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Fedex is pretty reliable for me (i have gotten my cd's in less than 3 days plus it's insured if they lose it somehow) but it's really expensive if you tend to buy alot from japan.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote