AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-27, 00:34   Link #1021
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Yes, there is. We know this because Genya Nakajima is supposedly a non-mage, and he's commanding the 108th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Regius too, and I don't believe Amy, Shari, Alto, Lucino and Griffith had any magical powers either.
Excellent, thank you! I was hoping that was what that conversation with Genya meant.

So, about the second half of that question, is there any known canon information on the kind of weapons such people would use? Are there, for example, magic-damage sidearms for magically-inactive soldiers? Or would they necessarily be restricted to positions in support staff, command, vehicle piloting, and artillery? I'm sure there's plenty of fanon in the OC thread about these issues, but I'm wondering if any of it was ever addressed, say, in the Sound Stages or other external source materials?
Old 2008-11-27, 00:58   Link #1022
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

I am in knowledge of a new CC who appears in SSX armed with a real working conventional handgun using real bullets working with a special permit, so I guess that's an option, but a very limited option.

As for magic sidearms for non-mages, I doubt there'd be pursuit in this avenue given that the non-magic arms ban was meant to limit the availability of disruptive power to the non-military. A non-mage looking for a combat post I imagine must either score very high in some areas and get that elusive conventional weapons permit, or suck it up and settle for a admin job, oooor... find a non-Bureau job.

Military is a big part of the Nanohaverse, but it isn't everything IMO.
Old 2008-11-27, 01:18   Link #1023
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
I am in knowledge of a new CC who appears in SSX armed with a real working conventional handgun using real bullets working with a special permit, so I guess that's an option, but a very limited option.

As for magic sidearms for non-mages, I doubt there'd be pursuit in this avenue given that the non-magic arms ban was meant to limit the availability of disruptive power to the non-military. A non-mage looking for a combat post I imagine must either score very high in some areas and get that elusive conventional weapons permit, or suck it up and settle for a admin job, oooor... find a non-Bureau job.

Military is a big part of the Nanohaverse, but it isn't everything IMO.
But it's fairly important when one's fic begins with a scene of a B&E at a Navy installation and one needs to establish what the guards on duty can and can't do. I don't mind resorting to making up the answers myself is there's a canon gap, but I don't like going off half-cocked and looking like an idiot.
Old 2008-11-27, 01:24   Link #1024
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

In that case, I recommend low-level C-rank magic grunts.
Old 2008-11-27, 10:14   Link #1025
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Excellent, thank you! I was hoping that was what that conversation with Genya meant.

So, about the second half of that question, is there any known canon information on the kind of weapons such people would use? Are there, for example, magic-damage sidearms for magically-inactive soldiers? Or would they necessarily be restricted to positions in support staff, command, vehicle piloting, and artillery? I'm sure there's plenty of fanon in the OC thread about these issues, but I'm wondering if any of it was ever addressed, say, in the Sound Stages or other external source materials?
Actually canon only seems to show the commanding officers can be non-mages - people who usually don't fight and thus don't need a weapon.

I think what Genya meant by saying what made Hayate special about being a mage is not a lot of COs are mages perhaps? At least in the Ground corps.
Old 2008-11-27, 11:40   Link #1026
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
I am in knowledge of a new CC who appears in SSX armed with a real working conventional handgun using real bullets working with a special permit,
That would be Runessa, Tia's partner in SSX. We're not sure how "conventional" the gun is. From the lines in the Stage itself, we know she has a weapon that fires physical bullets, does it use magic or chemical propellant to fire them? We're not told. It seems to be treated as a device, named Silver Dagger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
Actually canon only seems to show the commanding officers can be non-mages - people who usually don't fight and thus don't need a weapon.
That can't be the case, because how can someone become a commanding officer without starting out as a grunt? Yes, I know there are historical precendents for it, but does it look like Genya or Regius could have raised a regiment of troops for TSAB? Does it look like the TSAB operates that way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
is there any known canon information on the kind of weapons such people would use?
Strictly speaking, we have no information on weapons for non-mages. But recall the Airport Fire in StrikerS ep1, that was the Ground Force under Hayate's command fighting the fire with mist guns.
So, it's possible that non-mages are equipped with less-than-lethal weapons. Check with wiki for a quick summary of the various types available on Earth even now. It's possible that the TSAB convinced itself that since such weapons can't actually kill people unless seriously misused, they're not really weapons.
Before anyone asks, yes, I'm expecting such weapons to be virtually useless against mages unless they're complete idiots. However, it looks like criminal mages are as small a percentage of criminals as mages are of people.

Quote:
Or would they necessarily be restricted to positions in support staff, command, vehicle piloting, and artillery?
Remember, the TSAB is a law-enforcement organization as well as a military one. There's room for non-mage investigators too. After all, would you waste a mage on a non-mage-related crime? Being a mage is just a bonus when the suspect happens to be a mage.
Old 2008-11-27, 14:29   Link #1027
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
That can't be the case, because how can someone become a commanding officer without starting out as a grunt? Yes, I know there are historical precendents for it, but does it look like Genya or Regius could have raised a regiment of troops for TSAB? Does it look like the TSAB operates that way?
I can imagine various methods how non-mages can gain high-ranking positions without starting as combat forces. Communications, command (Griffith didn't really seem like a soldier in any of his appearances, yet seems to be growing to become a commander), navigation, investigation, law enforcing, any of the jobs that don't really require a mage but are still essential to proper management sound like perfect places for non-mages to rise through the ranks.
Old 2008-11-27, 15:14   Link #1028
Jimmy C

Seems I misspoke. When I meant "grunt" I meant bottom-ranking, any path.
Old 2008-12-02, 20:26   Link #1029
Kikaifan
Blazing General

There are also positions for vehicle crew.
Old 2008-12-03, 18:40   Link #1030
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Sorry but I just wanted to clarify somethings...

I've seen different colors of uniforms in the Nanoha series but I dont know which divisions uses them.

Also, the Enforcers have black uniform...which division do they belong to? Navy, Ground Forces, and what was the other one?

Anyway, sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 2008-12-04, 07:15   Link #1031
PhoenixG
Hi-Eternal

blue one => navy
White one => air
Brown one => ground

I think enforcers are independent
Old 2008-12-04, 07:29   Link #1032
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Fate- View Post
Sorry but I just wanted to clarify somethings...

I've seen different colors of uniforms in the Nanoha series but I dont know which divisions uses them.

Also, the Enforcers have black uniform...which division do they belong to? Navy, Ground Forces, and what was the other one?

Anyway, sorry for the inconvenience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixG View Post
blue one => navy
White one => air
Brown one => ground

I think enforcers are independent
The StrikerS manga specifically associates the Enforcers with the Navy (Chapter 1, Page 9). That's also supported by the fact that Chrono (an Enforcer in MGLN) ended up a Naval flag officer by StrikerS.
Old 2008-12-22, 21:14   Link #1033
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
Yahoo SSX question~
I know some of the numbers went off to work for the saint church but which ones were they and what exactly are they doing there?
Old 2008-12-22, 23:13   Link #1034
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post
Yahoo SSX question~
I know some of the numbers went off to work for the saint church but which ones were they and what exactly are they doing there?
Sein (No. 6), Otto (No. 8) and Deed (No. 12). Sein's is now a nun and Knight-in-training, under the strict tutelage of Sister Schach (Lord help her, Sein, not Sister Schach). Otto and Deed are under Carim, her butler and assistant respectively (and probably her personal bodyguards as well).

Signature by liro
Old 2008-12-23, 01:05   Link #1035
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Any other in-depth details as well? Since I'm fleshing it out further in my work, I don't want to run counter to something already mentioned.

Though I find it interesting that Schach admitted herself to be a Cleric Knight, and that means Sein by logical extension is trying to be one... XD
Old 2008-12-24, 01:41   Link #1036
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

There are a few uniforms.

Navy wear Black with white pants, although earlier on they were also wearing blue.

GF uses brown, but higher rank GF officers are also seen wearing blue, so I'd say that the Browns are Class Cs while Blues are Class As/Dress Uniform.

Enforcers use black.

AF uses white jacket with blue pants/miniskirt.

...come to think of it, Roy Mustang would be happy in the TSAB. Regulation miniskirts.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2009-01-14, 16:22   Link #1037
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Question:

Konami is one of Nanoha's sponsors, right?
Old 2009-01-21, 00:43   Link #1038
Reiya
*Artist

My first question:

How can you spell Ixphellia for writing japanese? What is her Origin? >__<
Old 2009-01-21, 02:01   Link #1039
JINNSK
黒猫のウィズやってます

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiya View Post
My first question:

How can you spell Ixphellia for writing japanese? What is her Origin? >__<
It's イクスヴェリア.
Old 2009-02-02, 07:43   Link #1040
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

How tall is Voltaire and his insect counterpart? I hope you have pictures, if you are counting floor storeys.

And what was the name of said counterpart?