AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-06-09, 17:01   Link #61
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy
Something I noticed that makes this series very unique: It has extremely odd directing. The camera angles and scene cuts are very oddly placed, often with the speaking characters off screen, or the viewpoint from weird angles/placements. Even without the character designs or plot this aspect of the anime is quite unique. Take a look again at episode 2 and you'll see what I mean. It makes me wonder if the show will take a really odd turn at some point.
I think it has already started to take an odd turn.
Spoiler for episode 5:

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 10:37   Link #62
Aquillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
I think it has already started to take an odd turn.
Spoiler for episode 5:
Are you sure about that? Unless I missed something:
Spoiler:
Aquillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 12:35   Link #63
Fronzel
Schmuck

Somehow, I just can't expect it to become actually interesting. Narutaru was cute for an episode or two before the horror began, but this feels differant.
Fronzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 19:46   Link #64
Aquillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzel
Somehow, I just can't expect it to become actually interesting. Narutaru was cute for an episode or two before the horror began, but this feels differant.
Uh, you don't think there's horror in Mahou Shoujotai? In virtually every episode, at least one person has been put through horrible agony. Most of the scenes and characters in the magic universe literally drip with ominous evil. Characters routinely express indifference towards the suffering and death of others.

I do think that it suffers somewhat from the 10-minute-episode format--there's a limit to how much you can get going in that timeframe. I almost think it would be better to wait until this show is all out, then watch it all at once...
Old 2004-06-11, 03:47   Link #65
Fronzel
Schmuck

Alice isn't feeling any horror. She just swoops in with heart that believes and saves the day. Generally it's just Sheila that is indifferent to the suffering of others, and that just means that she's an asshole, a foil to Alice’s obnoxious compassion.

Except that she wanted the braided girl to escape her anti-aging curse a little while ago, thus showing concern for another, thus meaning she's the "brooding asshole who actually cares about others and becomes friends with ray-of-sunshine protagonist after a while” stereotype.

I’m failing to describe it very well, but I have this strong feeling that the show is wasting itself. That nothing remotely interesting is happening, that it’s just clichés. I wouldn’t care but for the extremely detailed and compelling art style.

Have you seen Now and Then, Here and There or Narutaru? There's children in horror!
Old 2004-06-11, 10:15   Link #66
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzel
Alice isn't feeling any horror. She just swoops in with heart that believes and saves the day. Generally it's just Sheila that is indifferent to the suffering of others, and that just means that she's an asshole, a foil to Alice’s obnoxious compassion.

Except that she wanted the braided girl to escape her anti-aging curse a little while ago, thus showing concern for another, thus meaning she's the "brooding asshole who actually cares about others and becomes friends with ray-of-sunshine protagonist after a while” stereotype.

I’m failing to describe it very well, but I have this strong feeling that the show is wasting itself. That nothing remotely interesting is happening, that it’s just clichés. I wouldn’t care but for the extremely detailed and compelling art style.

Have you seen Now and Then, Here and There or Narutaru? There's children in horror!
I don't think this show is even in the same genre as Narutaru or Now and Then, Here and There. This seems to me more like a darker version of harry potter and as such it is pretty fun to watch.
Hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 14:49   Link #67
bunnykun
What is, what is?

I recently saw all 5 episode fansubbed , but i am confused what is a garucchi, when she is called in episode one by eva.

This 10 min format episodes are even bettter then some 20 mins format series =/
bunnykun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 15:45   Link #68
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I start watching this, it's really fun to watch. ^^

It was kinda cruel the way they treat the sprites tho. There was that one sprite whose hairs was plucked for magic practice. Poor thing. >_<
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 01:07   Link #69
Fronzel
Schmuck

Just watched episode 6.

God. It's as bad as freakin' One Piece now, with its infantile, wishful system of ethics. I give up.
Old 2004-06-16, 05:12   Link #70
babbito2k
annoying white bat

I am a little confused reading some of these posts. This show seems more like Tank Girl (the comic book, not that awful movie) than Le Portrait de Petit Cossette. I have been taking it as it comes and I don't get what it is other viewers have been expecting from it...

I think the horror (such as it is) is in empathizing with the sprites, or realizing that the witches have turned a world they seem to be masters of into some sort of awful magic factory.

edit: No sense bumping the thread I guess, but I got a laugh out of seeing that the first ten episodes add up to 666MB...

Episode 10 was very nicely done. It packed plenty of action, referred to the previous events very concisely, told a nice story with a big payoff and then threw in something to watch for in the next episode.

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-08-04 at 19:36.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-09, 23:29   Link #71
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
edit: No sense bumping the thread I guess, but I got a laugh out of seeing that the first ten episodes add up to 666MB...
Lol ^^

Episode 11,
Spoiler:
Old 2004-08-10, 00:59   Link #72
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

somehow both Alice and Sheila's personalities got on my nerves... but the style is just so amazing
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-10, 02:40   Link #73
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Lol Sheila and Alice personalities are so in the complete opposite. ^^

Sheila <-- must obey and follow the proper rules & conducts. (model student)

Alice <-- break all the rules. (slacker and delinguent) ^^
Spoiler:
Old 2004-08-10, 02:50   Link #74
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

about the mom stuff...
Spoiler:
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-10, 03:01   Link #75
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
about the mom stuff...
Spoiler:
but,
Spoiler:
Old 2004-08-10, 21:01   Link #76
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
about the mom stuff...
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-13, 06:31   Link #77
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

If you're wondering where TW has gone, according to L33t Raws it's currently being re-aired in Japan. It'll continue at Ep.17 once this re-airing has finished...
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-30, 13:28   Link #78
jennwenn

So, anyone still watching? I'm loving this show for its different tone and style. I wish they could expound more on certain scenes though. They really lose something with the 9-minute format, but I am amazed at how much they can fit in and how quickly they go without being totally incomprehensible. Still, it gets confusing.

I don't see why not symapathizing with the main character is a reason to dislike a show. Some shows are meant to have annoying characters. Gantz, DeathNote, etc. all feature anti-heros. Arusu and Sheila's behavior are both meant to be extreme - not likable, but entertaining.

I guess Mahou Shojo Tai is an acquired taste? I'm really curious to see how people would react to it in America if/when it gets licensed. Will the traditional anime crowd like it?

Anyway, I'm behind in this show, gotta catch up again!
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-30, 15:50   Link #79
hooliganj
Team Player

I like all the characters. Alice and Sheila can both be annoying at times, but they're likable enough and work to balance one another in the show. Eva is the kind of kid that's just hard to dislike. As of 16, I guess we have yet to see if Sigma is a good guy or bad guy, but so far I think he's pretty cool.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-30, 17:37   Link #80
Aquillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
So, anyone still watching? I'm loving this show for its different tone and style. I wish they could expound more on certain scenes though. They really lose something with the 9-minute format, but I am amazed at how much they can fit in and how quickly they go without being totally incomprehensible. Still, it gets confusing.
I think it really suffers from the 9-minute format. It feels like each episode had half of its material cut in order to fit.