AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2012-04-17, 03:13   Link #2221
ChorpSaway

Maybe that was just the initial reactions, but I remember seeing the music discussion thread around the release of the second singles set and everyone being all "meh not as good as first etc etc blah".
That might've changed since then, or that was just the vocal minority, I dunno. If that's the case, though, then cool!
ChorpSaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 07:32   Link #2222
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

I used to not like them when they first came out, but then grew to love them!
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 10:10   Link #2223
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

Send a message via MSN to BigSmokeDawg
I like most of the songs from the second character series. Oh my Giita, Over the Starlight, Drumming Shining My Life and Seishun Vibration are all really good.
Old 2012-04-17, 13:53   Link #2224
trenton_dawn
Silt

I think I overall like the S1 songs better, but mostly just because Gita ni Kubittake, Heart Goes Boom and Girly Storm Shissou Stick are so damn good. But I think Mugi and Azusa's S2 songs are stronger, and the side character songs are a little better than their S1 counterparts as well, in my opinion.
trenton_dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 06:57   Link #2225
Night_Music
The End of Light

Yes, LightMusicBand, I can see your point of view there. I don't care if it takes me forever, I will do what I like. But I won't be covering their songs and putting it in youtube. I don't think I can handle criticisms that good :P

wow, that was a really great cover BigSmokeDawg. Say, may I ask the teachers something, though not really related to tabbing.

How do you learn those fast licks? I mean, do you start slow and clean, then move up to speed, maintaining cleanliness, OR go full speed on the start, and try to polish from that speed.

Sorry for derailing the thread. But I have no one to teach me all these. Gomene...
Night_Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 08:15   Link #2226
AznAndy94
The Unknown Artist

Send a message via MSN to AznAndy94 Send a message via Yahoo to AznAndy94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Music View Post
How do you learn those fast licks? I mean, do you start slow and clean, then move up to speed, maintaining cleanliness, OR go full speed on the start, and try to polish from that speed.
It really depends on the person and what song you're doing. When you have a song that's not too fast or basic for a lick, for example, the the small verse part in Gohan wa Okazu, try to at least get down the basic "path" your hands have to follow. Really get confident about where your hand and fingers end up. It should come really quickly. However, licks that end up looking like ascending and descending scales at the rate of 1/16 notes, play as slow as you can manage (I'd say try at 50% speed and higher, anything lower would be not beneficial). Same as before, try to remember the "path" your fingers have to take. Muscle memory is a strange thing, the more you try playing, the more you hand may do it without even thinking.

On another note on that, my ex-bandbuddy would actually pound away at the 1/16 notes and if he messed up, he'd go right back to the start again. (It got really annoying)
AznAndy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 12:27   Link #2227
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

Yeah, it's all about being as relaxed as possible. Chappers does an awesome video on it on Youtube:

at around 1:45 or so

If you want to get playing solos and stuff then go ahead and learn some of these scales on here: http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php

Try things like the A Major pentatonic and stuff, and get used to going up and down them. Pretty much every solo with use scales in some way or another, so the earlier you get used to them, the better.
Old 2012-04-18, 13:17   Link #2228
trenton_dawn
Silt

Always start slow and speed up from there. This is a fundamental of practicing music. Start at a speed which you can fluently play, then increase your speed. If it's a really tough part, you might be going crazy slow, if it's a pretty easy part, you might be going just about full tempo. Once you're comfortable with that speed, increase it again. If you get bored, go ahead and try playing it faster but don't make a habit of it. Start off too fast and you run a high risk of leaving messy playing and uneven tempo in there because you never had time to concentrate on how you were playing.
Old 2012-04-19, 18:17   Link #2229
S332666460

WOW o.o
Thank all of you for the huge comments a the amount of help.
I am the only one with actual experience, I've been playing the bass for 2 years now (K-ON got me into it), my Keyboardest and Guitar keep swapping instuments because they are trying to figure out which one is easier for them. We started with Fuwa Fuwa Time because it is probably my favourite one and they seem to like it so we stuck with that but we can only get about 30 seconds into it as a group, but i have memorized the song on bass so i can really help them out with their parts because I have all of th K-ON! albums on my computer.
I also really think that Tenshi ni Fureta Yo is a really nice song and I'm gonna try to get them to play it with me but they seem to have an interest in it so we are gonna go from there and all of your help is going to help guide on our way to completing a song together
You can call me Telephone if you like.
S332666460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 18:17   Link #2230
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

Lookie what I done did
Old 2012-04-22, 20:57   Link #2231
deng17
Sylpheed

Send a message via Yahoo to deng17
@BigSmokeDawg
Cool. I still haven't learned the 2 fast parts yet. Now I want to learn it XD.

Btw, are you using the vibrato used for classical/acoustic guitars? From what I've read before it's where you move left-right within the fret.
deng17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 01:44   Link #2232
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by deng17 View Post
@BigSmokeDawg
Cool. I still haven't learned the 2 fast parts yet. Now I want to learn it XD.

Btw, are you using the vibrato used for classical/acoustic guitars? From what I've read before it's where you move left-right within the fret.
I don't think so, I think it's probably just my bad technique lol. I asked my teacher about this yesterday, and all I'm doing is waggling my finger on the string, when I should actually be bending it back and forth slightly. It's something I gotta work on.

I might cover Pasanda Fwy next as well. I just need to conquer that massive fast bit towards the end haha
Old 2012-04-23, 04:01   Link #2233
deng17
Sylpheed

Oh but I think your current vibrato works for acoustic/classic...not sure though.

I've just learned vibrato last year and wasn't able to refine it yet (I don't have much time XD). Well just as long as you're doing vibrato with your wrist, you're doing the right thing. Bending vibrato is much much trickier XD but it's still using the same technique.

Anyway, I hope I can have time doing covers ><
Old 2012-04-23, 19:05   Link #2234
trenton_dawn
Silt

If I recall correctly, side-to-side vibrato is preferable for acoustic or classical guitars because bending the strings on those things is damn hard. But on an electric guitar you get get much wider and easier vibrato using the bend technique.
Old 2012-04-23, 20:18   Link #2235
deng17
Sylpheed

Yeah, I can only do half-bends on acoustic/classical.

Does anyone know of a video where it clearly teaches the correct left-hand posture while scaling? I believe that I'm not doing it right because it's a bit stressful when I'm running through all the strings (eg. Guitar ni Kubittake intro riff)
Old 2012-04-23, 20:53   Link #2236
LightMusicBand
To the salt mines

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznAndy94 View Post
I suggest you and your friends take about 3-5 songs, and play them. Don't sit on one, get it perfect, then move on. I guarantee that you'll get sick of the song and never touch it again after you get it perfect. You can also dumb it down for some of the parts and don't be afraid to. It's a cover and it doesn't have to sound like the original (but maybe at least recognizable).
Oh man, how could I miss something so obvious? The nightmare that is LOVE is starting to haunt me again. I'd touch it again, but not anytime soon...

oh yeah, I would also like to know this one as well. I think I remember a youtube video saying you have to keep your fingers in your left hand almost perpendicular to the strings, but the hard part is when you go down the strings, the fingers gets fewer space to spread out, so they slant out on the strings. I have a bad habit of doing it, which I assume is bad...

Hahaha, I'm just dropping by on this page... (I actually sneaked out of my morning duties to go to town to be online). And even here, the connection is bad. (especially on youtube). OK, so back to reality... damn vacation...
Old 2012-04-29, 09:45   Link #2237
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

Hey, I need a bit of help.

I'm almost ready to find my Pasadena Fwy cover, but the tab on here doesn't have the part at the very end. I've had a go at working it out myself and I can't seem to get it :/

Can someone with a little more experience have a go at it for me?

1:53 on this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkfC9zpr-G4
Old 2012-05-06, 02:41   Link #2238
LightMusicBand
To the salt mines

hmmmm, I remember there was tabs for Pasadena FWY made in this forum. I searched for it, but unfortunately the file was lost... I have to find it in my "archive" and upload it in mediafire, so here it is:
Pasadena FWY INCOMPLETE VER.

Sorry, that's the best I can come up with...

Well, I won't be doing K-On song covers anytime soon until i could settle a little "argument" that's been going on. Plus, I got other things "lined up"...

Hope this helps...
Old 2012-05-06, 03:52   Link #2239
BigSmokeDawg
I play guitar and stuff

Yeah that's the tab I'm using. :/ I'll get my teacher to have a go at it, he'll probably get it in like 3 seconds lol

I have worked out many of the missing parts for the tab though, mainly the missing rhythm guitar section. I'll have a go at sorting it out myself when I've covered it.
Old 2012-05-07, 23:27   Link #2240
LightMusicBand
To the salt mines

Oh, could I get some help here... I've been looking at this part of the tabs for a long time now, and I'm really confused. I mean, does this say that I have to do a full bend on the 11th fret on the first string? I mean, I can't bend the full string downwards, and if I do bend the first string upwards, it will also bend the 2nd string... So, whatdo you think? An I reading it correctly?... Though not k-on related, but it's still anime music close to k-on... (you know this song well, deng17)

thanks...