AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-03-15, 04:39   Link #21
bluemist
i am the mist

I used to buy Newtype regularly, but lately I stopped because it felt like I'm just scanning through the pages and just looking at the pictures instead of reading.

With enough research I can find the same kind of content on the internet.

I would want to buy it from time to time if the articles are interesting.
bluemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-15, 09:33   Link #22
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

I used to occasionally purchase Newtype USA and AnimeLand but stopped since most of the information contained inside both magazines could be usually found online.
Old 2004-03-15, 11:27   Link #23
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemist
I used to buy Newtype regularly, but lately I stopped because it felt like I'm just scanning through the pages and just looking at the pictures instead of reading.
Hrm... kinda the same here. I'd only buy Newtype, Animedia, Animage only if they provided exclusive content. For example, things I would look out for would be promo discs, song lyrics, good artwork, etc. All the information can be found online usually.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-15, 13:15   Link #24
Wilcon

Send a message via ICQ to Wilcon Send a message via MSN to Wilcon
I dont read anye atm, but i´m thinking on starting a prenumeration on either Animerica or Newtype, but i´m not sure which

Newtype is twice as expensive as Animerica, but maybe Newtype is alot better... any tips

btw, is Newtype only on Japanese? dont know any japanese so
Wilcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-15, 13:16   Link #25
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

I read two magazines on a monthly basis, and several others when I like the extras (posters, DVDs, figures, etc) that comes with them.

"Newtype Magazine" (Japanese version) and "Comptiq Magazine" are the two magazines that I buy every month. Though "Newtype" is biased towards Kadokawa-friendly anime studios, they do offer the best detailed picture on what is in production and what is an anime to be on the look out for. Same holds true for "Comptiq," as they mainly focus on major PC-games. And recently, their pages did increase by a lot...although most of the increase in pages comes from serialized manga like "D.C~da capo~," "Pia Carrot 3," "Lime-iro Senkitan," and "Demonbaine."

Several others include "Weekly Watashi no Oniichan" (limited publication five weeks only - included a very moe~ figure), "TechGian," "Dengeki Hime Magazine" and "Dengeki G's Magazine." Like I said, I only buy them if the extras seems worth buying - like the moe~ imouto figurines in "WataOni" and MuvLuv Alternative demo movie DVDs in "TechGian." However, I am currently contemplating to add "TechGian" into my monthly buying schedule as it offers a pretty good info on new ero-game titles that are not covered as much as in "Comptiq."
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-15, 14:58   Link #26
<xellos>
As a WHM I help people

there is NewType and a NewTyp USA, so you can get NewType in English
<xellos> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-15, 15:05   Link #27
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Newtype USA is backed mostly by ADV (bandai and geneon too...a little) so the columns and such have a slight bias towards ADV licensed stuff (3 volumes in a row featured Maburaho articles)
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-15, 19:02   Link #28
Wandering A.I.
エッチだ! しかたない

Wow, no other Megami subscribers here? Oo Are you not men!? j/k ;p
For people who don't know, Megami's primary draw is the huge number of posters (~over ten double sided fold out posters and one larger pack in each month). Although as the name would suggest the focus is on characters, specifically of the female and hot/cute variety. It's also nice seeing what ero games are coming up in back after the anime coverage...

>I stopped because it felt like I'm just scanning through the pages and just looking at the pictures instead of reading.

If you go to an anime club see if you can get the club to pay for some subscriptions and/or just have people bring theirs in to trade/loan/read during the more boring series. I'll usually loan my Megami to friends in exchange for Newtype and Newtype USA, but don't consider the other anime magazines worth letting other people get fingerprints on my girls...
Wandering A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-15, 20:15   Link #29
Aaron_b
The Missing Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudStrife
i like this magazine called Anime Insider...
When I first saw that magazine it just happened to be the premiere issue. Although rather decent in its appeal, I found that it was a rather generalized source of information. With a little effort one can find all of the material contained within, weeks prior to its release. Granted, I haven't read the magazine aside from its first two or three issues, mayeb they've changed their format somewhat, but from what I remembered it articles, both news and reviews I felt were telling me something that I already knew. Not to say that it's a bad magazine, but it's not for me in that its approach to anime fandom is a couple years behind me...
Aaron_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-15, 21:54   Link #30
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president

I generally don't buy any because it#s too expensive. I don't have much money at my disposition as a college student (and now that they came up with a scheme to rip off the students big time, it got even much less ), so I generally get the information I need from the net.
Lina Inverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-16, 11:06   Link #31
Wilcon

Are Animerica and Newtype only dealing news with licensed anime, or do they announce new series that are developing(but not licensed or maybe not even finished)?
Old 2004-03-16, 11:29   Link #32
Za Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcon
Are Animerica and Newtype only dealing news with licensed anime, or do they announce new series that are developing(but not licensed or maybe not even finished)?
Newtype USA has information about developing anime in Japan as well as currently airing shows. Animerica last time I checked didnt have much about new shows in Japan. I also like Newtype because they have a J-pop section.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-16, 11:31   Link #33
xxziggybitsxx

Send a message via AIM to xxziggybitsxx Send a message via MSN to xxziggybitsxx Send a message via Yahoo to xxziggybitsxx
Personally.. NEWSTYPE > Then everything . It is like the best mag EVER
xxziggybitsxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-16, 11:44   Link #34
Wilcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Za Paper
Newtype USA has information about developing anime in Japan as well as currently airing shows. Animerica last time I checked didnt have much about new shows in Japan. I also like Newtype because they have a J-pop section.
OK, thanks, i just ordered the March number of both Animerica and Newtype(newtype were twice as expensive ), so i'll se which's best
Old 2004-03-17, 13:18   Link #35
Saouri
Megami-sama

Send a message via MSN to Saouri Send a message via Yahoo to Saouri
Thumbs up

Hello!
Sadly, here in Latinamerica we haven't a lot of magazines about anime. Mexico and Argentina have a couple, if i'm not wrong (Conexión Manga and Lazer).
I use to buy the magazines from Spain: Minami, Dokan, Shirase and Animedia.
The problem is...are too late (almost 6 month of diference between the date of publication, and the date of coming to my contry) and almost all time thay talk about series they are watching.
Animedia use to talk just about the new series in Japan and i really adore this magazine.

A friend from France sent me the last december 4 numbers of AnimeLand, and i need to say is a wonderful magazine too.
Saouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 15:04   Link #36
Aaron_b
The Missing Link

Newtype is the moving pictures magazine for what's new and hapening in Japan; such as new manga, anime and soundtrack releases. The magazine also carrie the occaisional interviews with seiyuu and has editorials from those in the industry as well.

Animerica, think of it more as a fan made magazine here in the states. It has reviews and feature articles like any other anime magazine that a group of American anime fans might put together. Therefore, this magazine deals more exclusively with what's going on stateside (acquisitions and releases) and not necessarily developmental projects that are continuing over in Japan (as Newtype would).
Aaron_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 21:15   Link #37
The Undertaker
OCTB Undercover

Which Anime magazine do you usually read?

Newtype? Anime Insider? Just wondering
The Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 21:36   Link #38
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm curious as well... I was thinking of subscribing to one but I'd prefer one that actually had *information* rather than filled with fluff ads. So this thread will be interesting to browse I hope.
Old 2006-04-12, 22:19   Link #39
sorvani

i subscribe to newtype, for the quantity and variety of reviews. they are not just DVD reviews.
sorvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 22:25   Link #40
rooboy
Umeboshi!

They're both fluff-a-licious. I read Newtype occasionally, and I've read a couple of issues of Anime Insider. If I were to pick, I'd probably go with Newtype. Anime Insider is, in my opinion, the more superficial of the two magazines (but it's cheaper). Newtype has a definite ADV bent to it (unsurprisingly, as it is ADV's magazine), but when it does cover something (and it covers more than just anime) it is significantly more indepth. It does cover other licensors, it just seems like ADV gets a disproportionate amount of the attention. Plus it's significantly more expensive (though it is the higher quality of the two).

For a second I almost answered "Weekly Shonen Magazine and Monthly Shonen Magazine" before I realized the question was what _anime_ magazine do you usually read.