Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-12, 17:49   Link #121
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
That's the only thing I'd seen and while I enjoyed it I'm not sure it really prepares you for this.

It's not just about fanservice and artstyle,it's also about the overall tone being different.
its still better than nothing IMO

Although you can enjoy this in blank state.
Old 2012-04-12, 19:35   Link #122
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
So I really want to see this, but don't want to introduce myself to Lupin III with this series (I haven't ever seen any Lupin III). What older Lupin III title (movie or series) would be a good introduction?
It's super tough to find but you can't go wrong with the original '71 show (Green Jacket series), about half of the eps were made in the vein of this, hardboiled adult skewing. (The rest is good though, Hayao Miyazaki helmed them).

The second series is fun, but it's long. It lacks nuance and edge (mainstream PG level fare), because this was made for general audiences but is still quite fun (Red Jacket series).

The Mystery of Mamo is a great Lupin film, a little long but it has edge that frankly a lot of more modern mainstream outings have lacked recently. Frankly it's my favorite.

Funimation also licenced a ton of the yearly TV specials. They also licenced Dead or Alive, a movie supervised by the original manga creator Monkey Punch himself, so it also has some more grit.

(Emphasis on grit/edge because that's how the original manga was).
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-12, 20:38   Link #123
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Yea I think I'm just gonna go ahead and tag this as my anime of the season now, it's just too cool not to do that.
And thats not something to say lightly as this season is rock solid with alot of good anime.

Have loved every minute of both the 1st and 2nd ep and really do hope it continues like so.

Mine Fujiko....what can ya say about her, she's a exquisite beauty within the anime realm now.
I mean I like alot of anime characters but really none of them have got anything on Fujiko now. Not even my waifu Tsukiumi can compare!
Old 2012-04-12, 22:14   Link #124
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Anther great episode and Jigen he still really fast on his gun
Old 2012-04-13, 05:49   Link #125
neshru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
This is how you put fanservice into a series and do it right
I don't think you can even call this fanservice. Fanservice generally has nothing to do with the actual flow and plot of a show, it's just a gratuitous bonus of some kind.
Fujiko using her body to get what she wants is part of her character on this show. I don't think there's anything gratuitous about it.
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 06:05   Link #126
Sol Falling

Episode 2 not as impressive as the first one...felt a bit weaker in terms of both art and overall story. Was it the writing (Mari Okada), or the directing? Heh.

Lupin sure is one of my top shows for this season but I won't go so far as to call it a masterpiece. I'm against the trend I've been seeing of raising this show on a pedestal above other shows which are airing..."normal" anime shows can be just as good too.

I do have to give props to the new ED, though. loli Fujiko...this series sure knows how to be provocative. lol, well, I say that, but "provocativeness" was probably what the main part of the episode was missing. In combination with weakly-executed psychology. As far as I'm concerned, I think it's safe to say that this season of Lupin III has some very strong elements, but it's not as if the whole thing is up to that level.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 06:21   Link #127
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Episode 2 not as impressive as the first one...felt a bit weaker in terms of both art and overall story. Was it the writing (Mari Okada), or the directing?
Just want to mention that Okada didn't script this episode herself unlike the first episode.

I enjoyed this story quite a bit more than the first one,not as much action but I preffered Jigen's tragic tale over last week's flashy heist (of course I enjoy those too).
Old 2012-04-13, 08:11   Link #128
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

This episode have very nice writing for me too especially its fitting very well with Jigen.. its just make perfect click with his identity.

Eps 1 have better action and this episode have better story, of course one of the reason is because they giving more focus to that part. But both of episode have very excellent directing.. good god its very compelling to watch and also make you loving the character (The fact they are great character from the kick-in is helping though )

If they maintain this quality till the very end, I'm are the happiest man in the world.
Old 2012-04-13, 09:19   Link #129
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
If they maintain this quality till the very end, I'm are the happiest man in the world.
Wrong. The happiest man in the world is the one Mine finally finds herself falling for.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 18:36   Link #130
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

So far this series has made me want to watch cowboy bebop all over again it must be the music and sometimes the art style.

Loving the show so far though, ep.1 was great. ep.2 was decent. Roll on ep.3 =)
Old 2012-04-13, 18:55   Link #131
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Ancient Chinese secret, huh?

Loving the cool factor and style, here. But am I the only one who'd like to actually see Lupin in a Lupin III series?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 19:46   Link #132
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Ancient Chinese secret, huh?

Loving the cool factor and style, here. But am I the only one who'd like to actually see Lupin in a Lupin III series?
Pretty sure this is focusing more on Fujiko, hence the title. It's only the second episode, I'm sure they're getting all the main gang out of the way before Lupin shows up again.
Old 2012-04-15, 13:52   Link #133
Dop
Mmmm....

I am so loving the style of this show which just stands alone apart from every other show this season. Episode two was just so well plotted, and I wonder when Fujiko's past will catch up with her as suspected?
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 22:43   Link #134
solomon

I was a little "eeehhh" when I heard old timer Kiyoshi Kobayashi was gonna do Jigen again, but it works better than I thought. I think the radical redesign helps, almost makes him like a different person all together.

Not much else to say that others haven't.

Although this soundtrack is SEXXXX. I especially dig that one from the scene in the church.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 23:09   Link #135
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Personally, I think the nudity feels less gratuitous fan service and more full-on sexploitation. I like sexploitation when it's done well, so I can see this being one of my favorite anime of the season if this keeps up.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 01:46   Link #136
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

I'm a little disappointed about the overall quality of the visuals so far. I was expecting better animation at key moments. No wow moments yet, which is weird cause Koike is pretty damn awesome. I don't think he's done any key animation so far, right? Any other big names involved yet?
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 03:35   Link #137
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haohmaru View Post
I'm a little disappointed about the overall quality of the visuals so far. I was expecting better animation at key moments. No wow moments yet, which is weird cause Koike is pretty damn awesome. I don't think he's done any key animation so far, right? Any other big names involved yet?
Eps 1 its as good as it get from TV anime, I'm surprised you saying this because eps 1 have so many glorious cut, the only thing that kinda "disappointing" from animation/visual for me is the over abusing of weird shadow filter that its seems method of budget cutting.

Koike is animation director for eps 1 isn't it?
Old 2012-04-16, 04:11   Link #138
duckroll
綺羅星★!

This isn't really the kind of series where it's going to be huge on animation show pieces. Instead if seems more like a show where they focus on the art and the framing of scenes to create the best visual impact for the direction. It's a really pretty show, but the animation itself isn't outstanding at all, but that's fine by me.

Ep1 is by no means "as good as it gets" for TV anime. Far from it. There are great backgrounds and really nice detailed character art, but most of it is low motion or focused on the pose rather than the movement. It feels more like an animated graphic novel, if that makes sense.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-16, 04:31   Link #139
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
This isn't really the kind of series where it's going to be huge on animation show pieces. Instead if seems more like a show where they focus on the art and the framing of scenes to create the best visual impact for the direction. It's a really pretty show, but the animation itself isn't outstanding at all, but that's fine by me.

Ep1 is by no means "as good as it gets" for TV anime. Far from it. There are great backgrounds and really nice detailed character art, but most of it is low motion or focused on the pose rather than the movement. It feels more like an animated graphic novel, if that makes sense.
You're right, its more like photography on everywhere with some good animated cut here and there .. like Fate/Zero or Tsuritama for example. Still think on eps 1 its deliver more cut than most anime out there, hence the "Its as good as it get for TV anime" comment. E7 AO blow that out of water of course.

Come to think about it, animation style like this becoming trend lately. Detailed Art and background, less actual animation, just stamp some nice cut to cover it and done.
Old 2012-04-16, 04:46   Link #140
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I think what helps is that the art style here is very unique, and Lupin's origins as a manga in the first place makes it easier to appreciate the look they're going for with the show here. I don't think the animation is bad by any means (even ep2 while lacking in movement had good animation direction in general), it's just that animation wouldn't be the first thing to come to my mind when finding positives to talk about regarding the series.

I liked the writing in ep2 a lot more than ep1 too, so I actually found the episode more enjoyable and compelling. Plus, Jigen is always awesome to watch in action.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote