AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-12-28, 20:16   Link #1
BaronNoir

DVD to Blu-Ray : worth it ?

When I really like anime, I actually buy it when it comes out on DVD and more recently blu-ray. (Unfortunately, as I have more cash than time, I most often than not did not watch them. I bought all Sword Art Online Blu-Rays ''collectors'', and I had time to watch three episodes.....)

Simple question : graphically, is this worth it to buy a new Blu-Ray set ? I was a huge fan of Elfen Lied, and I saw recently at my anime shop a Blu-Ray of the whole serie...
BaronNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-28, 20:53   Link #2
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

BD have a bit over four times the DVD resolution, now if this will make difference for older anime... I seriously doubt that it would look better then a good upscale.
Old 2013-12-28, 20:58   Link #3
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I think it depends on a few things:

1. The master/source of the anime
Old anime like the ones in the 70s-90s are made on film instead of today’s digital master. So the upgrade to hi-def will actually offer a drastic improvement (especially when it comes to sharpness). Not to mention that many of those old series received Remaster treatment that clean the images. That makes the old footage looks more gorgeous than the DVD counterpart (example: MS Gundam, Zeta Gundam, Char's Counterattack, etc). On the other hand, many anime from early 2000s are stored in non-HD digital master so the original pic still looks quite soft even when boosted with hi-def Blu-ray (example: Chobits, Shakugan no Shana, etc). Early-2000s animes must receive Remaster treatment in order to look half decent for HD-showing (example: Gundam SEED, Fate/Stay Night, etc). So I suggest you do some research first before buying (read some reviews on the net such as this site and check the screenshots provided). Anime after 2010 are pretty much created for HDTV showing so purchasing the Blu-ray is a no-brainer.

2. The artwork of the anime
Sometimes, the turn off is the anime itself. Some titles have extremely simple artwork that it doesn’t deserve hi-def treatment (example: Crayon Shin-chan, Kobo-chan, etc). Of course, how good the artwork is up to your taste.

3. Bonus content
Usually, the Blu-ray pack has more bonus content than the previous DVD pack (both inside or outside the disc). For example: The Blu-ray release of MS Gundam: The 08th MS Team offers you a brand new exclusive animated episode that’s not in the previous DVD pack. So, if you’re one who really digs bonuses, Blu-ray pack is the way to go.

4. How much do you like the anime
When it comes down to it, nothing can beat how you feel about a certain anime. When you consider an anime title as your #1 favorite of all time, it must deserve multiple purchases in more than one medium. It’s a normal thing to do. Some even consider the Blu-ray (or maybe 4k in the future) is a must-buy for the series they absolutely love.

5. Last but not least, all things considered, look whether the price makes sense or not . That's because some Blu-ray Discs are ridiculously overpriced (example: Gundam 00 movie Blu-ray). Sometimes, it doesn't hurt to wait for sales ;P.

So, my suggestion is basically: do some research of the product and consider your budget first. If it’s worth it, and you have the extra money, go for it.
Old 2013-12-28, 22:06   Link #4
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Some anime in the last year or so have started to do English subtitles on the Blu-ray but not the DVDs. If you are importing.
Old 2013-12-30, 13:50   Link #5
Revan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronNoir View Post
Simple question : graphically, is this worth it to buy a new Blu-Ray set ? I was a huge fan of Elfen Lied, and I saw recently at my anime shop a Blu-Ray of the whole serie...
Depends on the show I guess.

For a slice of life series, with average graphics and not much animation (made in 4:3 ratio if it's older), I see no point in purchasing a BD version of it.
Old 2014-01-01, 21:11   Link #6
NarutimettHero22
The Superior Spider-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan21 View Post
Depends on the show I guess.

For a slice of life series, with average graphics and not much animation (made in 4:3 ratio if it's older), I see no point in purchasing a BD version of it.
Well, this isn't always the case. Old things can be HD and look good. Really, it's a bunch of variables. FLCL, I believe was done digitally at 480p, so it would be an upscale, and FUNimation have released an FLCL Blu-ray and it's not that great.

Keeping the subject on FUNimation, Dragon Ball Z was make in 1989 and ended it's run in 1995, meaning it was done in 4:3 but it's on 16mm film, which can be made into HD and still look good. The Dragon Ball Z Level set Blu-rays done in 2011 did look great, for the footage that FUNimation had as they have a multi-generational copy which means it has grain that they can't removed, scratches that they can't do anything about, although, you don't want to remove all of the grain or else it looks really bad.

Another example is Yu Yu Hakusho, which has had a Blu-ray release in Japan and when it was brought over to the US, it was basically the Japanese remaster untouched and it looks great. I own the YYH Blu-ray and it looks phenomenal.

I'd really only recommend getting an anime on Blu-ray if you're very into the series and know the specifics of the Blu-ray. For example, DBZ for me. The new season Blu-rays coming out have cropped the 4:3 aspect ratio into 16:9 meaning you lose some of the picture and all the grain is removed, the backgrounds are all smudges, etc. Basically, it doesn't look good.

Again, it's all on variables. When it was made? Was it made in a specific format? What resolution was it animated in? Would you be gaining a lot out of it? Those are the things to think about when getting anime on Blu-ray. At least, I do, and I know a bunch of other people that think that way.
NarutimettHero22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 21:02   Link #7
BaronNoir

It's Noir.

(Can an american PS3 lite play a Japanese Blu-Ray ?)
BaronNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-04, 15:09   Link #8
NarutimettHero22
The Superior Spider-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronNoir View Post
It's Noir.

(Can an american PS3 lite play a Japanese Blu-Ray ?)
Yes. Japanese Blu-rays are Region A, which is the same region as the US.
NarutimettHero22 is offline   Reply With Quote