3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-23, 13:36   Link #41
Ekul
Transdimensional phoenix

This is a great display of what the average Higurashi episode is (Besides the lack of Keiichi): Kids savaging other kids, gruesome splattered bodies, friends confronting friends to stop violence and contemplating the murder of adults to make things better.

The chair scene became ten times creepier when I realized that technically this is an old lady smashing a chair against a little girl she doesn't know.
Old 2009-05-23, 14:32   Link #42
Ichy
It`s a miracle!

Location: This is the Kind of Woman I want to play Games with. And by playing Games I mean.... ^____^
Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
There is already a semi english-translated version on the internet. It only translates the options, the quotes/textbubbles are still untranslated though.

edit: Found the link http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OK0GDKWV.
Note: I haven't tested that version myself, I don't even know whether it works.
By the way does someone know how to get Rena to omochikaeri Rika? . I've been staring at them for hours, but they ignore each other. :/
And Rena goes ~L4 when you keep clicking on her .
----
Spoiler for Rika's family again:
Thanks for the link!

Spoiler for Rikas family:

I myself found this episode amazing. A little rushed and no Bernkastel. Everything esle was great. 9/10
Old 2009-05-23, 15:36   Link #43
typhonsentra

God I can't wait a month to see how this ends.... any chapter synopses out there for this storyline?

And a small observation: Was it just me or did Mion come off as way too catty here? Perhaps from their perspective she needed to be scolded for her behavior but they also kept pretending to know what she was thinking when obviously they didn't, I hate it when people do that.
Old 2009-05-23, 15:50   Link #44
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Mmm that was great. I was craving for some violence since the first two episodes, and this episode nicely satisfied that for me ^^. Just like the Higurashi feel I used to get from it. (of course, this isn't mainly why I watch Higurashi)

Anyhow, more and more things are being revealed. Can't wait for the next episode.
Old 2009-05-23, 16:30   Link #45
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.

10... just for that chair shot
Old 2009-05-23, 16:52   Link #46
Orophin

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
God I can't wait a month to see how this ends.... any chapter synopses out there for this storyline?
Well, you can always read theacefrehley's rough translation of the Sound Novel if you want to.

Chapter: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5

You only have to read chapter 5 if you want to continue where this episode ended but I would advise you to read it from the beginning to see what they left out in the anime.
Old 2009-05-23, 17:11   Link #47
Eryops

Quote:
Note: I haven't tested that version myself, I don't even know whether it works.
By the way does someone know how to get Rena to omochikaeri Rika? . I've been staring at them for hours, but they ignore each other. :/
And Rena goes ~L4 when you keep clicking on her .
The Rena program has Rena hug Rika by itself. They don't interact.

Quote:
Spoiler for Rika's family again:
He did marry into the family. Rika's mother is the descendant of the family.
Old 2009-05-23, 17:29   Link #48
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

I see, thanks for the answers.
Old 2009-05-23, 17:46   Link #49
Fujikira
Sharp Dressed Symmetry

I gave it a 9.
Spoiler:
Old 2009-05-23, 18:17   Link #50
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

is rika gonna chair her mother too, or something else
Old 2009-05-23, 18:35   Link #51
Orophin

By the way izmosmolnar, I had not seen the episode yet when I anwsered your question about the reincarnation of Oyashiro-sama but now I understand why you were confused since the anime got it wrong.

Anime:
There was multiple reincarnations of Oyashiro-sama. The legend says that after the present reincarnation dies, the next reincarnation will be the first firstborn child in the family that is born a girl.

Sound Novel:
There is only one reincarnation of Oyashiro-sama as Hanyuu said that she was waiting for Rika's birth for 1000 years. The legend says that when there will be eight consecutive firtborn childs that are born as girls, the 8th one will be the reincarnation of Oyashiro-sama.

I really don't know why they decided to change that.
Old 2009-05-23, 18:51   Link #52
KoiYuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujikira View Post
I gave it a 9.
Spoiler:
No, she hit her 3 times or so, as you can read from this:
Spoiler for Visual Novel:

Something I found interesting was that when Rika hit Satoko, Satoshi didn't come running to save her. I guess that's more expected in this world, as neither of them are so drained from being bullied like they were in the other worlds.

Last edited by KoiYuki; 2009-05-23 at 19:09.
Old 2009-05-23, 19:04   Link #53
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

I see now. I started to fear, there might be something wrong with me not to understand.
I also remember the part about waiting for 1000 years and the 8th girl being the reincarnation. I believe it was stated somewhere in the anime too (I mean not in Higu Rei, but somewhere earlier), since I haven't played the VNs apart from the first ark, but I still remember something along those lines.
Spoiler for overanalyzing theories:

Last edited by izmosmolnar; 2009-05-23 at 19:17.
Old 2009-05-23, 19:22   Link #54
Orophin

Quote:
But how could they squeeze in another generation without messing up the timeline (and the genes)?
Spoiler for a hint for the next episode (potential spoiler):
Old 2009-05-23, 19:30   Link #55
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Actually, there is no need for gene, but rather "timing".
Let's imagine that there was twins that were about to be born. What if, in the original setting, you have male X born before female Y? Y would still be a girl, but not a first born. What if in a very cuckoo world (that is actually beyond S rare, considering the only 1 occurence), that Y was born before her X twin? It would add a "first born" in the counter.

If we just take this possibility as the first of the chain of the 8 first born, it easily explains how the reincarnation wasn't applied on Rika.
Just a matter of a few seconds gap can change the whole ordeal, without screwing that much the timeline.
Old 2009-05-23, 20:54   Link #56
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
This is a great episode, as the choice to make here is very hard. Probaly the greyest moment of this series.

On one hand, we have Rika, who has tried over many lifetimes to reach a world where she and her friends would be alive together. After she finally achieves it, one mistake causes this world where everything is right, and in many ways, much better than the previous worlds except for her. But certainly she deserves better than this? But on the other hand, it seems like going out of this world and knocking off her mom who has done no wrong either is downright evil. She would essentially be ruining a perfect world for herself. What will happen to this world afterwards? It would truly suck for them, as to them they just got Rika to open up, but she just ends up killing her mom! It'd be messed up if killing her mom does not bring her back to the correct world, as Hanyuu doesn't seem really that certain about anything. And what if she's actually delusional and is just "seeing" hanyuu just because she wanted to? It's also established that Rika is dead in the previous world, so what's gonna happen there? Wouldn't they have to roll the dice again and perhaps create another world that may be worse the both?

This episode was also probably one of the most disturbing to me out of the Higurashi series. The first time she gets close to her mother, she's trying to figure out if she has to kill her, while retaining that childish guise. No wonder it breaks when alternate- bitch Satoko decides to mess with her. Oh yea, anyone find it funny that Satoko isn't really that messed up later in the day after she got beaten up like that by Rika? She still looks arrogant as hell; I'm surprised she's not limping or huddled in a corner somewhere. This Satoko may not live long. I can only conclude that ability to withstand massive amounts of pain has been passed down from the previous Satokos, given that she often gets the worst of it in the worlds we've seen.

Waiting for the next episode! This will be awesome, no matter how it ends.
Old 2009-05-23, 21:12   Link #57
UnknownBeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Was it just me or did Mion come off as way too catty here? Perhaps from their perspective she needed to be scolded for her behavior but they also kept pretending to know what she was thinking when obviously they didn't, I hate it when people do that.
Well...
Spoiler for probably.. saikoroshi VN spoilers:

Delete if inappropriate dear mods.
Old 2009-05-23, 21:51   Link #58
aldw

I've always wondered how the others would have reacted if they ever had a chance to know what Rika knows, how would they deal with it?
Old 2009-05-24, 03:41   Link #59
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Actually, there is no need for gene, but rather "timing".
Let's imagine that there was twins that were about to be born. What if, in the original setting, you have male X born before female Y? Y would still be a girl, but not a first born. What if in a very cuckoo world (that is actually beyond S rare, considering the only 1 occurence), that Y was born before her X twin? It would add a "first born" in the counter.

If we just take this possibility as the first of the chain of the 8 first born, it easily explains how the reincarnation wasn't applied on Rika.
Just a matter of a few seconds gap can change the whole ordeal, without screwing that much the timeline.
Oh yeah! That's a good possibility, shame on me for not considering something like that.

Also moving along with that logic, we could consider some kinda "genderbending accident". I mean the father of the previous Reincarnation of Oyashiro-sama 8th generation ago has born as a female instead of a male like in normal worlds. So the whole order goes one generation upward and that made Rika's mom to become the Reincarnation (since she is the 8th here and Rika is the 9th).
Old 2009-05-24, 16:46   Link #60
SnowSong

Poor Rika. However, can anyone reveal from their visual novel experience whether Rika was ever close to her mom before she died? Or how affectionate is Rika towards this mom?
Closed Thread