Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-06-20, 10:05   Link #41
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

What lies beyond the Wall

Silence_Fish asked, way back in 2004:

Quote:
Many people probably wanted to know what lay beyond the wall, though I take the wall to be more a metaphor, which is probably why the creators didn't go beyond it.
I hazard to say that Reki actually described it best in the final episode of the series:

Spoiler:

What lies beyond the Wall is not just unknown, but is rather Unknowable.

Given enough time, what is Unknown can eventually become known. But what is Unknowable, well, it's simply beyond our ability to ever know.

For us humans, what happens to us after we die is not just unknown -- it is completely Unknowable. We can speculate, but we can never know for sure -- no one has ever come back from the dead to tell us what it's like being, um, dead. In fact, the question itself is meaningless. As meaningless as trying to define division by zero.

What matters more is how we react to the stories/myths/religions we conjure up to explain what happens to us after we die. These stories, when properly conceived, are what gives us Hope.

They give us something positive to believe in, and as such, they are what make our lives meaningful.

Whether those stories actually correspond with the Truth, it hardly matters. Because there isn't anything to prove in the first place -- no one knows the true answer anyway, and no one ever will.

Credit for the above explanation is not mine. Rather, it comes from this little website.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-22, 21:27   Link #42
SpecterVR
Calming Everyday Life

I watched Haibane Renmei a little over a year ago, and I thought the purgatory concept was an interesting way to make sense of it.
But, I started reading "Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the world" a few weeks ago (due to wanting to read more of Murakami's material, the wind up bird chronicle being a really good book), and the similarities were driving me nuts (what I noticed most, so far, is the wall). I'll probably have to watch the series again once I finish the book, but I'm glad that I wasn't the only one
(I think someone mentioned that it was a major inspiration to ABe, actually. x_x)

I haven't quite finished the book, however, its rather interesting, as one said before
Spoiler for the book:

A pointless post, really, but the series was quite enjoyable and a really lovely change of pace back then.
SpecterVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 13:32   Link #43
Trax
Rock beats scissors

I've watched a little of this series, but it feels like the anime version of a lullaby. Nothing of consequence happens. Does this actually go anywhere, or am I better off not watching anymore unless I have trouble falling asleep?
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 13:37   Link #44
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax View Post
I've watched a little of this series, but it feels like the anime version of a lullaby. Nothing of consequence happens. Does this actually go anywhere, or am I better off not watching anymore unless I have trouble falling asleep?
Oh, it's going somewhere. I assume you haven't seen episode six yet.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 14:03   Link #45
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Hm, i sort of dropped it after watching ep5, because i was bored to tears and yawning more than i should when i was doing something that is suposed to be fun for me.

Maybe i should watch that ep6 you are talking about FPB
Old 2007-01-07, 14:05   Link #46
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeNfo Review
Be ready to bring a pillow for the first 5 episodes or so. After that, it's interesting enough to keep your attention.
This seems to match my thoughts so far and episode 6+ as you say.
Old 2007-01-07, 14:07   Link #47
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Personally, I love stories that just drop you into a world and you pick up the unspoken assumptions as the story progresses (even to the point of unexplained slang terms). H.R. has a wonderful .... twilight zone surrealness to it. Sometimes I call it "european" in that it doesn't lead the audience by the nose - they have to pay attention and evolve their own explanations at times.

Just a fascinating bit of anime.... <thumbs up>
Old 2007-01-07, 15:01   Link #48
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Personally, I love stories that just drop you into a world and you pick up the unspoken assumptions as the story progresses (even to the point of unexplained slang terms). H.R. has a wonderful .... twilight zone surrealness to it. Sometimes I call it "european" in that it doesn't lead the audience by the nose - they have to pay attention and evolve their own explanations at times.

Just a fascinating bit of anime.... <thumbs up>
Agreed. It's not for everyone, but if your idea of entertainment doesn't necessarily involve guns, swords, giant robots, slapstick humor, or any combination thereof, HR is highly recommended. One of the very few anime that I wouldn't be hesitant to submit for discussion in a university art or philosophy class.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 18:43   Link #49
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
I think Haibane Renmei works a lot better when you are naturally curious about things you see. It's not nearly as fun when you aren't asking yourself questions about how their world works.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 10:14   Link #50
Trax
Rock beats scissors

After finding out that things would get better from episode 6 and onward, I went ahead and finished this series. And indeed things got more interesting, and I am glad I continued after all. However, I still can't overlook the fact that I nearly stopped watching this anime, something which is quite rare for me. The lack of pull in the initial episodes and the overall slow pacing lowers my overall opinion of this series. Nevertheless, I did enjoy watching it since it picks up towards the end.
Old 2007-02-19, 03:44   Link #51
Joojoobees

Red face the S word again

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I hazard to say that Reki actually described it best in the final episode of the series:

Spoiler:
Exactly.

Spoiler:
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-21, 15:42   Link #52
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
Exactly.

Spoiler:
Hmm ...

Spoiler:
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-21, 17:02   Link #53
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
hmm i actually finnished this a few weeks ago ~ man was it a slow watch tho O.o

its true that things get interesting after ep 6 ~ it seems as if i was plunged into a world of darkness knowing the darker secrets of being a haibane ~

i liked the ending when things was able to resolve nicely ~ rakka finding her first egg and the cycle of the haibane continues in an endless loop ~

it quite the unique genre imo...and a good watch if you can make it past the fitst hurdle ^__^

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-21, 19:58   Link #54
Joojoobees

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
Hmm ...

Spoiler:
I don't think so. Kuu made a clear choice, and the effect upon those left behind is the same, regardless.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
I disagree. I don't think Kuu or Rekki did anything wrong. All of the Haibane are way nicer than most people you will meet, so saying they were spiritually deficient has to be wrong.

Deathkillz: I actually liked the beginning. I was enjoying the slow pace, and then the developments of episode 6 blew me away because I wasn't expecting it. This is probably my favorite TV show of all time.
Old 2007-02-21, 20:09   Link #55
Joojoobees

Arrow Myths and Meaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
What matters more is how we react to the stories/myths/religions we conjure up to explain what happens to us after we die. These stories, when properly conceived, are what gives us Hope.

They give us something positive to believe in, and as such, they are what make our lives meaningful.

Whether those stories actually correspond with the Truth, it hardly matters. Because there isn't anything to prove in the first place -- no one knows the true answer anyway, and no one ever will.
Whereas I agree with the above. I think focusing on Death is a mistake. For the Haibane, almost everything about their existence is Unknowable. They have a few legends passed down to them, but they are forced (think the library episode as the clearest example) to make up their own, to establish a meaning of their own. It won't be handed to them, or empirically verified.
Old 2007-02-22, 04:00   Link #56
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I don't think so. Kuu made a clear choice, and the effect upon those left behind is the same, regardless.
Spoiler:

Quote:
I disagree. I don't think Kuu or Rekki did anything wrong. All of the Haibane are way nicer than most people you will meet, so saying they were spiritually deficient has to be wrong.
Spoiler for ep 13:

My theory is based on the Catholic concept of Purgatory. ABe may have had something else in mind, but to me there's quite a paralell.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-22, 06:28   Link #57
Slice of Life
eyewitness

I think Glie is more like
Spoiler:
Slice of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-22, 15:18   Link #58
Joojoobees

More on SUICIDE

Quote: