AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-09-26, 09:54   Link #41
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Watch and delete some time after, but usually not imediatly.
If I really like it I'll get the dvds and re-watch it with good quality.
Old 2008-09-26, 10:15   Link #42
tetsuo
In Classic Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky-Electric View Post
What are external harddrives, and how do they work? Where can you buy one? Etc. etc.
They are like flash drives. Where you just plug them in through a USB on your computer. Except in the case of a external hard drive, its recognized as a hard drive and can range from 40gb-(from what i've seen)500tb.

oh and btw, you might as well look online for a dvd burner. I just looked one up on the frys.com site, and its like 40$ for a Sony one. So there you go.
tetsuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-26, 10:23   Link #43
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Just wondering... how much for the 500tb external HDD? Because I'd like to get one of those, if the price is right. Are we looking at a couple thousand dollars?

As for fansubs itself, I used to burn them to DVDs, but I got lazy. Now I just buy any R1 series if I want it archived, and for those that isn't licensed, getting it through torrent again doesn't really take that long anyway if I really wanted to rewatch a show.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-26, 12:01   Link #44
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo View Post
They are like flash drives. Where you just plug them in through a USB on your computer. Except in the case of a external hard drive, its recognized as a hard drive and can range from 40gb-(from what i've seen)500tb.

oh and btw, you might as well look online for a dvd burner. I just looked one up on the frys.com site, and its like 40$ for a Sony one. So there you go.
You do realize you're answering a post written in 2004? When such things as DVD burners and ExtHDDs were exotic?

This is quite a necromantic thread here... but the OP question is still relevant.

I burn everything to DVD and particular series I even burn twice and archive one to my safety deposit box (yes, I keep actual important things there too ). Torrents do vanish.... it can be pretty tough finding anything alive for an older series.

Series I like that end up in R1 I buy ... but I'll usually keep the fansubs because:
1) sometimes the translation is preferable.
2) the fansub is more easily transportable (keep on laptop for travel).

If I don't keep the fansub its because the broadcast version of the series had major flaws (Tsukuyomi Moon Phase and its "what a nice painting" stills during fight scenes because the animation outsourcing failed miserably).

But... far too many of my favorite series remain unlicensed....
Old 2008-09-26, 12:06   Link #45
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I watch and delete, except for anime I really like. I don't have the space for all the anime I watch or time to rewatch them all.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-26, 12:59   Link #46
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
I horde them on an external hard drive. I don't usually rewatch them, but I sometimes copy stuff off for friends
Old 2008-09-26, 18:19   Link #47
sadcherry

DEPENDS
if the anime is good, i will save it into my harddisk
otherwise i will watch it and delete
sadcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-26, 22:31   Link #48
Xellos
There will be no miracle

Send a message via AIM to Xellos
Delete except for series I like. If I need more room, I'll burn the good series or just buy the dvds when they come out.
Old 2008-09-26, 22:37   Link #49
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Just wondering... how much for the 500tb external HDD? Because I'd like to get one of those, if the price is right. Are we looking at a couple thousand dollars?
Are you kidding, or do you really think they are that expensive? You're off by at least a factor of ten. Here's some at newegg under $100:

http://www.newegg.com/store/SubCateg...ubCategory=414
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-26, 23:40   Link #50
Xellos
There will be no miracle

Send a message via AIM to Xellos
I think DK3 was thinking of a 500 terabyte external HD. I've never looked for one, but yeah, it'd probably be expensive lol. If he meant 500 GB, then like Seiji said, they're pretty cheap.
Old 2008-09-27, 00:33   Link #51
Zippicus

It seems like there was a bit of necromancy going on with this thread

I'm a watch and delete person myself, it's rare for me to re-watch stuff so there's really no point to keeping it around. On those occasions where I feel a burning need to watch something again I can usually find it on one of the various streaming sites.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-27, 01:06   Link #52
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Yes, I'm looking for the 500 terabyte external HDD, as tetsuo claimed he's seen one. Then again, he might have typoed it and actually meant 500 gb, but I'm willing to give benefit of the doubt despite not being able to google any kind of 500 terabyte hdd.

Come to think of it, a couple grand would be too cheap for that kinda storage space... If a terabyte internal HDD is around 150 bucks, then 500 of those would cost 75 grand. Though with it being the 'newfangled' thing or whatever, it would cost at least double that if it does exist.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-27, 07:23   Link #53
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If you're talking about a single device at 500 TB, I don't think any exist. Even a little browsing shows that large, expensive SAN/NAS devices are "just" a few TB in size. Doing a search for '500 terabyte' brings up articles about organizations that broke that barrier like the Stanford Linear Accelerator.

Besides who would want a single device of that size? What if it fails? Better to have distributed storage across an array of devices with a fault-tolerant structure like RAID 5 or 6.

Edit: How about 48 TB in your basement?

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-09-27 at 08:23.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-27, 08:28   Link #54
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
this site has a 5Tb drive array and it runs over 2000 bucks. It would probably be pretty expensive to build a storage system up to 500Tb
http://www.nextag.com/Sonnet-Technol...60/prices-html
He mentions in his faq that there is a 20 bay sorage system for 300 dollars. Drives cost 150 or so for 1TB drives. So for 20, you would be up to 3000 dollars in hdd alone. The largest single drive right now is a 1.5Tb

Last edited by Zeroryoko1974; 2008-09-27 at 08:46.
Zeroryoko1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-27, 16:28   Link #55
-Kh-
ポルカ

I always watch and delete, and the series I really like, then I get the DVDs when they come out for my collection.

Although 5 years ago I used to burn every serie on DVD, I had near thousand DVDs but one day after making sure everything in there have been watched already, I just threw them away and started buying a few series like Chrno Crusade, Eureka 7, Zegapain and so on.
-Kh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 09:33   Link #56
Liddo-kun
is this so?

I watch and burn, everything archived carefully.
And if I really liked a series, I burn it on 2 cd's so there would be backup.

I do buy the original cd's when they are released (provided I see them on the local anime stores), however most of the series I watch are unlicensed. So the buring goes on.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 16:18   Link #57
Strahan

lol

No, there is definitely no such thing as a 500 TB disk I have a 14 TB file server in my garage, cost me ~$8,000. A real enterprise storage solution is insanely expensive. We just bought a pair of 3Par T400 where I work. (I'm in IT for the City of Baltimore) It's a SAN, storage area network. It has 8 TB of fiber channel and 11 TB of nearline (i.e. SATA) storage. Purchasing said that cost a little over $200,000. It supports up to 300 TB. The next model up, the T800 supports 600 TB. I can only imagine how much a fully loaded T800 costs lol. Very cool stuff though.

To the topic, I keep everything. I don't delete anything I download, even if it sucks cuz when I have parties, maybe someone will want to see it lol. I have a projector hooked up and every couple weeks a bunch of friends get together to watch movies/anime, which is why I like to have a good selection available without having to search for discs.

PS, I don't trust optical media anymore. I used to burn stuff to DVD-R before I had the file server. I went to copy something off a disc that was only a year old and got CRC errors, really annoyed me. I use Ultrium 2 tapes for backing up the server nowadays, much more reliable.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 16:41   Link #58
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
I don't trust optical media anymore. [...] I went to copy something off a disc that was only a year old and got CRC errors, really annoyed me.
Yeah same here. Glad to hear I'm not the only one...
Old 2008-09-28, 16:52   Link #59
Strahan

Hehe, yea, you aren't alone. I even made sure to store them in a temperate dark place, not like I kept it in the sun or anything.

It'd be nice if they could make media/burners that can make discs like factories do. I have a Windows 98 CD that to this day is still perfectly usable. I've used it to setup Win98 in a VMware box and it worked fine. So a ten year old CD has no issues, but a friggin 1 year old consumer burned CD is unreliable. Bah.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 16:55   Link #60
TigerII
Pilot in Training

I have never watched an anime show twice. I usually stream, but if I do download, I delete after I am done.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote